Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bizz

If You're Not Using Benzoyl Peroxide, What Do You Use? I Need Something I Can Use All Over My Face That Isn't A Moisturizer Or Serum (Rop)

It is infuriating to see comedogenic ingredients for a benzoyl peroxide problem. I'm dealing with that and the fact that my skin now seems resistant to it.

I have used Clean and Clear Popped Pimple Pen, which is a salicylic acid gel--not great. Not seeing any effects on cysts, but I bought it on clearance just to try a salicylic acid gel.

Clean and Clear Persagel seemed to slide off my skin at night and made zits moist, but did not deflate them. I used to put hydrocortisone cream on cysts-that used to work, and now, it's worthless. I tried using calamine lotion recently and it was so-so.

I have acne marks and scars and I think I need to stop using BP because it's making that worse. What are you all using to keep zits from popping up overnight--sulfur?

I've used clindamycin (sp?) and a sulfur face wash. The smell is repugnant and the effects were underwhelming in my teens, but I think I might have to try sulfur, because I've been on/off Retin-A for ten years and it only worked when I took Accutane. Now it just makes my skin purge. Same with BP, it seems.

I'm really frustrated.

Any tips? Are any of you successfully using a better BP product? I was unimpressed with Neutrogena 2.5% BP cream and usually use the generic CVS "vanishing" version--they changed the formula so that it's got more (acne-causing) moisturizers and slides off my skin at night.

That's everything I've used and how it works. (I see Acnevir is popular around here--I might try that.)

I really liked the Sulfur 5%/Sulfametacide 10% wash I used a long time ago. You have to kind of use it as mask and leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse off. There are lots of brands, Plexion is one. Some also come in a leave-on cream.

Edited by Green Gables

BP and SA do not agree with me, and I have also been having very good recent success with a sodium sulfacetamide 10% / sulfur 5% cleanser I use once per day. The name of it is Prascion. I tried using it twice daily but it made my face too flakey. This cleanser I'm using must be different than what Green Gables mentioned. Mine gets massaged onto wet skin for 10-20 SECONDS and then rinsed off. I think there would be a big problem if I left it on for 10 minutes!

@GreenGables: Who makes what you use? I think the prescription sulfur wash I was Sumaxin. I have some (expired) tubes of Rosac cream I might use up too.

I think most of the washes tell you to only use it for a few seconds, but knowing how sulfur and sulfacetamide work, my derm at the time told me to either get the leave-on cream or use the wash as a mask. I just used the wash as a mask at night and it worked great.

Plexion is manufactured by Medicis. It might not be in production anymore. I think Prascion is a copy of it.

Prascion was made by a company called Prasco. They discontinued production of it on 7/9/2012. it was a knock-off of Plexion. My pharmacy refilled my latest prescription with a generic made by a company named Stratus. Haven't started using using it yet so I can't comment on it.

There is a sulfur product called De La Cruz Sulfur ointment. It can be found in chain drug stores in the ethnic section for 5.00. The directions are to leave in on for 10 minutes once or twice a day and rinse off. It doesn't have perfumes in it and the sulfur smell is not that strong. It's a very simple formula - just powdered sulfur and a water soluble base called polyethylene glycol.

I treated my teen son's badly inflamed acne over the summer with this, but called the company when it wasn't working and they told me to try leaving it on longer. He ended up leaving it on all night and after 6 weeks he was 90% clear. His skin never peeled like many have reported. He is not big on washing his face so this is all he used aside from water from the shower.

There was a little purging in the beginning but it didn't last long. It seamed to reach a point at 6 weeks where it didn't seem to be effective anymore so I started formulating home made salicylic acid toners and he is maintaining quite nicely with a 2% SA at 3.0 pH. Forget the OTC salicylic acids - they are not strong enough. You need to purchase them online or make your own.

Hope that helps.