Notifications
Clear all

Am I Not Giving My Regimen Long Enough To Work? [Age 34]

MemberMember
(@mike1201010)

Posted : 09/06/2012 7:38 pm

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been using Dan's regimen since I was 20 so about 14 years. I had awful cystic acne as a teenager so once I found this regimen, it cleared me up and hell if I was ever going to stop using it.

Well, a few years ago, I started using cetaphil moisturizer instead of dans and it worked just the same luckily. about a year after that, I was so bold as to start using clean and clear foaming cleanser(the purple top) and still all was fine. It wasnt until about 4 months ago, I finally got sick of ruining my sheets and clothes with the BP gel(it was bleaching them) and I decided, "I'm 34 and probably dont even need this stuff anymore" so for 2 weeks I used BP only in the day time and stayed clear. Then I stopped all together and BAM. broke out like crazy. I couldn't stop this stuff! I couldn't control it, all over my t zone, on my forehead, one cystic pimple after another. So I gave in and used the BP again and HEAVILY. it didn't seem to help. it was like my face was mad at me when finally after a month or so of the BP, I saw some clearing and I got the bright idea to try B5 in HUGE doses. I never saw any results and taking 20 pills was awful. I then found Tea Tree Oil and it sounded like natures version of BP so I said what the heck and I bought the Desert Essence thoroughly clean face wash(which gets rave reviews in terms of acne). It was awesome stuff, foamed up and when it washed off, although my skin was literally 'squeaky' clean, after a few minutes it felt like brand new skin. I noticed after about a week, I had hundreds of tiny little raised red bumps on my forehead. I googled it and declared that they were clogged pores. at least they didn't have bacteria in them! Anyhow, I continued with it for another week and decided that maybe my skin just didnt like that stuff, so I got a bottle of tea tree oil (pure) and I bought the Purpose cleanser dan recommends. I've been using it for a week and now I'm starting to get some zits, couple of cysts and my complexion just looks horrible

Am i doing this to myself? one treatment for 2 weeks, then another, then a different moisturizer. Am I so crazy now that I HAVE NO regimen? Should I have just kept at it with the Desert Essence face wash for another couple weeks? What about the clogged pores?

So there you have it. sorry for the long post but I wanted to sort of give a background. I know I sound nuts and, at this point, I'm fairly confident that I am.

Thanks in advance for all that read this.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/06/2012 8:03 pm

It sounds like the Desert Essence was working the best for you. You may notice more clogged pores because they just stayed clogged pores instead of turning into inflamed bumps.

I find that clogged pores and nodules/cysts often need entirely different treatment. For example, now that I am on hormonal treatment, I never get bumps anymore. Not a single one. But my number of blackheads has stayed the same. I have to treat the blackheads differently than I treat the bumps.

MemberMember
(@mike1201010)

Posted : 09/06/2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply! Well about the clogged pores, I agree they are better than cysts (they do sound like clogged pores right?) but then what about the fact that your forehead has the texture of 60 grit sandpaper?

MemberMember
(@kiton23)

Posted : 09/09/2012 9:27 am

Trying any treatment for only a 2 week span usually isn't enough time to distinguish if it works or not. I too got off BP after using it for years since i figured i was clear and didnt need it but breakouts eventually returned with a vengeance. So back on BP again, Dan's method with drugstore products. Cetaphil Gentle skin cleanser, neutrogena on the spot 2.5 BP, and cetaphil moist. with spf 15. This time it took BP longer to start really seeing results. Finally after 4 months or so of breakouts i am completely clear of new acne. Now just have to deal with the marks left behind. Gonna try manuka honey since i read great things, but interms of new acne or active pimples.. 100% clear. I think decreasing BP is ok, but completely eliminating it will allow acne to return usually worst then before. I have gone through that process twice and can assure you that BP does maintain your acne and keep you completely clear, but once you stop... Beware of acne once again. I do hate BP as its a very harsh substance. But as for now, i don't see anything else that actually works.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 09/22/2012 11:54 pm

Kiton23- i am about to start the regimen tomorrow and bought almost the exact same products as you. cetaphil gentle cleanser, oxy 2.5% BP and cetaphil spf15 moisturizer. glad you hear you have success with them.

im a 28 year old female who gets mild-moderate hormonal acne on my chin. clogged pores/closed comedonal acne along with acne cysts.

i am hoping this works!

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/23/2012 10:11 am

I guess I don't understand why you don't go back to Dan's regimen products since this worked for you. You think you're too old for acne - sorry to tell you, you're not. Yes, the BP is a pain. It will ruin pillowcases, some shirts, and some towels, but acne ruins confidence. Which is more important to you? Stop trying to use drug store products to equal Dan's. Use what has worked. Why waste time trying to reinvent the wheel?

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 09/23/2012 6:47 pm

I guess I don't understand why you don't go back to Dan's regimen products since this worked for you. You think you're too old for acne - sorry to tell you, you're not. Yes, the BP is a pain. It will ruin pillowcases, some shirts, and some towels, but acne ruins confidence. Which is more important to you? Stop trying to use drug store products to equal Dan's. Use what has worked. Why waste time trying to reinvent the wheel?

^ Agreed. Follow the regimen exactly. And you've definitely got to give it more than 2 weeks to start seeing results.

MemberMember
(@byrnison)

Posted : 11/18/2012 9:38 am

Hello... Actually your case more or less is simillar to me...

But i didnt use dan regimen... I just only using standard clinic treatment... Once my face clear... I tried use... TEA TREE OIL treatment.... From bodyshop.... This was my biggest mistake ever! For 2 weeks... I feel my face got better and much better... Clear and so bright. After 2 weeks flying high with clear face it turned to hell... Bumps, cystic, nodule all came up.... And i start using another clinic treatment, which is similar to dan regimen... Using BP as main treatment... But combine with antibiotic... And now... My face much better... I never ever use any other treatment except BP... Meanwhile i order Dan's regimen i still using BP 2,5 by benzaAc.