Notifications
Clear all

Paula's Choice Bha Making Me Flake!

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 09/06/2012 5:41 pm

Okay so ive been using Paula's choice 2% bha liquid for a few days now, every night, and whilst it's helped enormously in reducing whiteheads and clogged pores, it's made my skin sooo dry and flakey! I use a good moiusuriser but even so my skin feels so tight and foundation just highlights the flakiness. I love this product so I don't want to discontinue, but I also hate this dry scaly skin! Any suggestions? Would perhaps her bha lotion or gel be less flaky? My skin is combination/oily

Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 09/06/2012 5:49 pm

Salicylic acid (BHA) can be quite drying. I would suggest using it less frequently if the flakiness is too much for you. While moisturizer may help, the BHA is supposed to exfoliate so some of that is completely expected.

Try using it every other night or ever 2-3 nights.

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:15 pm

Thank you, I've been tempted into using it every night because the results are always so good when I wake up, I'll use it less frequently now :)

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:16 pm

You have build up your skin's tolerance. Lumiplexion has three strengths so you don't irritate your skin by starting off too strong. I'm up to the highest level and have never gotten dry from it.

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 09/08/2012 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, do you think once I've built up my skins tolerance my skin will stop flaking after I use it so I can use it more often?

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 09/09/2012 5:36 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@powderedpeach)

Posted : 09/20/2012 12:12 pm

Paula's Choice is one of the few brands that really makes an effort to provide several options and strengths so that consumers can be sure that they choose a chemical exfoliant that's non-irritating. Even though the lotion, gel, and liquid may all come in the same strength of 2%, a liquid will always seem stronger because it delivers the active ingredient into the skin much more quickly than a gel. A lotion delivers the ingredient into your skin the slowest and will be the least irritating, but this formula is better for dry skin.

My point is that you're using the strongest formula. If you want something that's not so strong, you could either switch to the 2% gel (or even the 1% gel), and you might find that takes care of the flaking. I'm sure if you call customer service, they'd be willing to help you out.

You can also purchase samples from the website, which is a convenient way to build up your skin's tolerance to the BHA until you can handle the 2% liquid or just try out the other options they have. It's actually much better for your skin to receive a lower dosage on a daily basis than to receive a higher dose less frequently. Regardless, with chemical exfoliants, you've got to start slowly. It's kind of like working out... If you take on too much too soon, you'll just be sore the next day. =)

MemberMember
(@faffy)

Posted : 11/18/2012 6:10 pm

Thank you for your reply :) I did try samples of the lotion and gel but preferred liquid as it absorbed quickly and left no residue and generally seemed better for my combination skin. It seems my skin has gotten used to the bha as it no longer flakes! :)