Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
irishguy

7 Years Later, Welcome Back Acne - 2Nd Go Of Accutane

7 years of clear skin and sadly the acne has reared it's ugly head again.

Took accutane back in 2005. A 6 months course of it. Read about a lot of the side effects. Thankfully, apart from very dry skin and peeling lips, I didn't really suffer. And unlike the various gels and antibiotics out there, accutane actually worked for me.

Anyways, 7 years later and I've booked a new appointment with my derm. My acne has progressively come back over the past 9 months. I've tried stuff like Benzoyl Peroxide, Fucidin Gel and Differin. None have had any effect.

I hope he'll cut to the chase and put me on a second course of accutane straight away but I'll understand if he doesn't. I'm also think whether another 6 months having to deal with peeling lips and not being able to go out (or at least go out and drink tongue.png ) would be tolerable. Obviously I'll have a chat with him about such details if accutane gets a mention.

Anyways, those of you who have had a second course of accutane. Were the side effects of the second course the same, worse or not as bad as the first time you took it. My first course of it lasted 6 months. Is it likely that a second course would be of a shorter length.

Thanks.

I never had a second course although my dermatologist offered it a few times. I just didn't want to go through all of that again with the blood tests and monthly visits to the derm, etc. My age is also a factor since I'm over 40. Your situation may be different and if you are a male you don't have to undergo the pregnancy tests and whatnot.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's not easy.