Notifications
Clear all

Completely At A Loss.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:32 am

I'm 24 and not eating anything that would cause this, I have never drank alcohol or smoked in my life, I drink tons of water every day. I'm taking lots of vitamins and minerals. I'm taking 100 billion cfu (very expensive) probiotics. I exercise. I have literally tried everything except accutane. The amount of money I've spent on trying to fix this disease has got to be in the $5000+ range.

Every day there are new whiteheads on my face that become inflamed and turn cystic. I carefully extract them with pins that I soak in hydrogen peroxide. But as the day goes on, they continue to fill right back up with pus. It just never ends. Shaving is a ****ing nightmare.

These aren't ingrown hairs. They appear all along the creases of my nose as well. I tried growing my beard out, and they still appeared underneath.

My current collection of supplements that have been a complete waste of money:

My current collection of topicals & creams that have all been a waste of money:

My social life is completely nonexistent and the few relationships that I have had failed because of this. The only time I leave my apartment is to get groceries or go running, because people like to stare.

I actually had the balls to go to an interview last week, I wonder if they will call back...

If anybody has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Otherwise I am done trying.

MemberMember
(@lindseyem)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:44 am

Have you tried Dan Kern's regimen via this site? I am only a month in...but I'm already seeing some results. Check it out. :)

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:49 am

Have you tried Dan Kern's regimen via this site? I am only a month in...but I'm already seeing some results. Check it out. smile.png

Yes I have. Dan's regimen doesn't fix the problem internally. You're just going to continue slathering chemicals on your face for the rest of your life? Because that is what you'd have to do.

MemberMember
(@lindseyem)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:52 am

True. I agree. But it's a good way to fix the problem while you explore other things...like food allergies, hormonal issues, etc. I've struggled with acne since I was 14 (I'm 24 now)...I've tried everything too except accutane. I'd rather not have to put creams on my face...but if its the only way, you gotta do what you gotta do ya know?

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 09/06/2012 11:12 am

It looks like some sort of dermatitis. Looks really irritated. Have you been to a derm to see of they know? There's a bunch of natural remedies you can try for that.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/06/2012 12:26 pm

I know you're feeling hopeless right now. I would keep up with the probiotics for sure. Even if it's just for your health.

When you were taking saw palmetto, how much did you take and how long did you take it for? I took a synthetic anti-androgen at a high dose. The effects didn't kick in until month 4, but in 6 months I was completely clear. It has been a miracle for me after a decade of cystic acne much worse than yours. It was my last step before Accutane and I am really glad it worked because Accutane side effects scare the hell out of me.

If you could take saw palmetto at a dosage that would be equivalent to the dose I took of spironolactone, and maintain that for 6 months, I would bet you would also see clearing.

MemberMember
(@blowinit)

Posted : 09/06/2012 1:43 pm

It looks like some sort of dermatitis. Looks really irritated. Have you been to a derm to see of they know? There's a bunch of natural remedies you can try for that.

I was gonna guess dermatitis as well.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/06/2012 8:42 pm

I know you're feeling hopeless right now. I would keep up with the probiotics for sure. Even if it's just for your health.

When you were taking saw palmetto, how much did you take and how long did you take it for? I took a synthetic anti-androgen at a high dose. The effects didn't kick in until month 4, but in 6 months I was completely clear. It has been a miracle for me after a decade of cystic acne much worse than yours. It was my last step before Accutane and I am really glad it worked because Accutane side effects scare the hell out of me.

If you could take saw palmetto at a dosage that would be equivalent to the dose I took of spironolactone, and maintain that for 6 months, I would bet you would also see clearing.

The post listed in your signature is such a success story. I'm so happy for you :) The before and after is amazing. I can only imagine how much better your life is after reaching clear skin.

I think the saw palmetto I was taking was not standardized, it was a powder in capsule form. It was cheap and I think I picked it up at Walgreens.

I actually have an unopened bottle of 320mg NOW Standardized (85-95%) Saw Palmetto Extract in my cabinet that I never touched. I'll start taking it tonight.

Do you know the dosage that might equal your 100mg spiro effectiveness?

MemberMember
(@odin673)

Posted : 09/06/2012 9:12 pm

Have you seen a dermatologist? Most topicals are worse than BP you can get for $3-4. Probiotics and "natural remedies" were a waste of money in my experience.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/06/2012 9:43 pm

Have you seen a dermatologist? Most topicals are worse than BP you can get for $3-4. Probiotics and "natural remedies" were a waste of money in my experience.

Yes, several times. The only thing that helped were antibiotics, and I was given TONS during my teen years. I was even taking Cipro which is one of the most dangerous things anybody could ever ingest. My back used to be horrid during ages 17-21, but now it has subsided. I now realize that antibiotics are really harmful to the body and intestinal flora. I know that I have a yeast overgrowth in my body because I have a white coated tongue, due to antibiotics.

The last time I took antibiotics was around October of 2011, I took Keflex for 2 weeks straight and towards the end I was literally throwing up so much I thought I was going to die. I felt so horrible - it's utterly unexplainable how bad I felt. My skin was perfectly clear during those 2 weeks, but the acne came right back after I quit.

If I went to a dermatologist again, I honestly feel it would be a huge waste of money.

MemberMember
(@odin673)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:12 pm

I hear you on the anti-biotics. They are a temporary fix at the very best. Have you tried any topical retinoids or accutane?

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:30 pm

I hear you on the anti-biotics. They are a temporary fix at the very best. Have you tried any topical retinoids or accutane?

Haven't tried retinoids or accutane. I've read the reviews of retinoids like Retin-A and it seems mixed. Plus I don't like the idea of becoming dependent on a topical. :(

On another subject, I noticed my urinary flow/startup was greatly improved just a few minutes ago. I took that saw palmetto just a few hours ago but I didn't expect some of the benefits to hit so fast...

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:32 pm

I really don't think what you have is acne. I believe it's a type of dermatitis

MemberMember
(@odin673)

Posted : 09/06/2012 10:40 pm

Accutane aside, you'll probably be dependent on something to keep your acne at bay. Based on your original post, I would recommend you do whatever it takes. Don't leave any stones unturned. Between being dependent on a topical and never leaving your apartment, topical dependence is the lesser evil in my opinion.

If it's not acne as others have mentioned, I'm sure there has to be some treatment you haven't tried.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/06/2012 11:18 pm

It looks like acne to me, it just looks like a lot of unpopped acne. Most people would scrape off the whiteheads before they take a picture wink.png

As far as dosage, for your level of acne I would start at 320 mg Saw Palmetto for a week just to get your body used to it, then ramp up to 800-1000mg over the next few weeks. You will notice increased urination, thirst, and some lightheadedness. Your body will adjust to this eventually (I no longer experience these side effects), but if you feel like things are too much, increase your dosage more slowly. My derm had me on the beginning anti-androgen dose for a whole month and then doubled it, but I think I could have handled a quicker progression.

Drink a lot of water and you will be fine. Taking it with food helps too.

increased my dosage to 640 mg after I had been taking 320 mg for about 5-6 weeks. I did see improvement at this increased dosage.
MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 09/07/2012 12:11 am

I think it's a dermatitis because it's showing up on the creases of your nose. That's classic seborrheic dermatitis. How's your scalp? Is it itchy, red, dandruffy? How bout behind your ears? Do you have dryness and crusty parts behind them?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/07/2012 12:48 am

Yes, several times. The only thing that helped were antibiotics, and I was given TONS during my teen years. I was even taking Cipro which is one of the most dangerous things anybody could ever ingest. My back used to be horrid during ages 17-21, but now it has subsided. I now realize that antibiotics are really harmful to the body and intestinal flora. I know that I have a yeast overgrowth in my body because I have a white coated tongue, due to antibiotics.

The last time I took antibiotics was around October of 2011, I took Keflex for 2 weeks straight and towards the end I was literally throwing up so much I thought I was going to die. I felt so horrible - it's utterly unexplainable how bad I felt. My skin was perfectly clear during those 2 weeks, but the acne came right back after I quit.

If I went to a dermatologist again, I honestly feel it would be a huge waste of money.

how long were you on the antibiotics for? I hear you on that too mate... definitely not a cure

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/07/2012 4:07 pm

I think it's a dermatitis because it's showing up on the creases of your nose. That's classic seborrheic dermatitis. How's your scalp? Is it itchy, red, dandruffy? How bout behind your ears? Do you have dryness and crusty parts behind them?

Sometimes I get bumps on my scalp. But everything on my face begins as acne and eventually comes to a head requiring extraction. Whatever it is - I want it gone :(

I am seeing a licensed aesthetician on Monday to have some skin resurfacing done. I've never been to one before

MemberMember
(@grubby456)

Posted : 09/07/2012 5:46 pm

I have EXACTLY the same thing as you (I'm 21) /

it may doesn't look like this due to the quality of the image but it's the same, my case is not just as severe (yet).

It's called Perioral Dermatitis (Around the mouth/nose), Mine started when I was 18 and I thought for 3 years that it was acne, I tried many different acne treatment which led to worsen my case.

The cause is an allergy (Food or Chemical products), you should simply switch to SLS/FLUORIDE/ANTI-TARTAR free toothpaste and shampoo/conditioner/body wash. And check if your intolerant to any food (most of the time gluten/dairy/nuts). Go for a candida free diet (mostly meats and vegetables) and water only.

Theses will prevent it but it won't heal, according to the internet Grapefruit Seed drop taken orally (20 drops into 4oz of water 4 times a day, and topically (10 drops into 1 tbps twice a day) will help getting rid of it naturally. There is also the Apple vinegar which seems to work well.

I started using these 2 days ago and I didnt saw improvement yet (I guess 2 days is not enough), according to a lot of people this treatment takes 5-6 weeks so I'll stick with it. Also keep taking probiotics twice daily and add kefir yogurt/sauerkraut if you can.

Good news is that treatment are working really well, that hardest part is to prevent recurrence so you have to find what trigger it (food or chemical product). If your like me, you must had used 20 different creams and stuff which damaged it so it is obviously chemical. Stop using those, buy SLS free stuff (even soap!), I even noticed breakout on the back of my shoulder when I changed shampoo! (which contained SLS).

So yeah, I have chosen the natural way and I'll keep you in touch if It works. If you want more information type ''Perioral Dermatitis'' there is a lot of this stuff on web.

If I can't fix myself with natural stuff i'll go Tetracycline, which is apparently working in every case. Problem is recurrence, even if you go antibiotics if you don't know what is the trigger it will come back (gradually). So I would feel better if I am able to cure myself without a dermatologist.

Don't forget, natural toothpaste & NOTHING chemical on your face/hair/body (even aftershave etc.)

Good luck, happy to know I'm not the only one to fight this (5-10% of Perioral Dermatitis sufferer are men, what a luck!)

MemberMember
(@grubby456)

Posted : 09/07/2012 7:08 pm

Oh well, I just saw your collection of products and you already tried GSE... I just losed all my motivation, I guess we're both damned

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/07/2012 7:23 pm

Honestly it's acne. It's on other parts of my face as well, I just didn't photograph it.

It's on my cheeks, forehead, and nose just not as bad.

MemberMember
(@grubby456)

Posted : 09/07/2012 7:40 pm

Never had a single pimple on my forehead in my entire life, and very few on my cheek (can count them on my hands)

The strange thing is that the pimples are the SAME, I can pop it in the morning and the pus will be back in 2 hours.

On the other hand, I am going freestyle when popping them it might not help my case.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 09/07/2012 8:10 pm

you need a course of doxy to clear it. its perioral for sure. doxy will knock it out in a short time but get on it before it gets worse

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 09/07/2012 9:16 pm

are you taking all of those supplements at once? thats too many. and im sure that zinc supplement is 50mg, if you were taking that, you were overdosing. zinc in high amounts is toxic to the body when it cannot be bound to carrier proteins.

i wouldnt give up, proceed from here on out in a scientific fashion, choose a diet that you believe is basic and relatively neutral and eat that everyday for a week with almost no fluctuations or changes, then measure the variables you wish to effect and the range of levels while on this diet this is your control or comparision diet. after that 1st week, now change one thing and wait 1-5 days to see if it makes anything better or worse, compared to your control diet, if you see a small improvement, keep the change and add it to your daily regimen, if you find your body runs worse as a result of the change, dont continue taking or doing what you just changed.

in this way you will be able to isolate variables. when you change too many variables at once, its almost impossible to come to any conclusions as to what did what and how one thing is affecting your body, doing it this way you can really evaluate something and build a solid knowledge base and make progress that is relatively slow, but you will be almost absolutly certain every step of the way.

a good starting point would be to utilize the general knowledge we have of the nature of acne, that is sensitivity to dairy products sugar and fat nuts and some people are sensitive to gluten. also, you need to make sure your control/comparision diet is providing you all you nutrients. refer to a book on nutritional science.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/07/2012 10:18 pm

Here are my 2 cents. You are taking way too many supplements which is dangerous without consulting the doctor. Probiotics do not work for everyone specifically some strains. Try to get it from natural sources. Combine saw palmetto with stinging nettle root tea to make it more effective. If that doesn't work then go to a endocronologist to see if you have any hormonal issues. Also get a topical from a derm to get your acne under control in the mean time.

Start doing hardcore baba ramdev yoga for skin disease . You can find it in youtube. Headstand yoga for 5-10 minutes 2 times daily will strengthen your glands and insulin resistance. Also start juicing fresh vegetables carrot, cucumber, celery, wheatgrass, dandelion greens etc. 1 cup daily.