Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CharlesRyder

Anti-Androgens

I really don't think that's necessary... being a Men's Health Major I would prefer you to look into other alternative methods for your acne, such as diet, exercise, and sleep. How long have you had acne? Exactly what have you done for it to date? Do you still use over the counter products? Which ones? What else are you willing to do/change?

How long have you had acne?

Since around 15 or 16. I'll be 23 in October.

Exactly what have you done for it to date?

I wash with CeraVe's Hydrating Cleanser and I did use Paula's Choice BHA 2% Liquid for a while but now I'm thinking about trying something different. I've never used a moisturizer but I'm thinking about getting CeraVe's PM one.

What else are you willing to do/change?

I do want to change my diet (it's not so good) and I guess take whatever supplements would be helpful. Any ideas?

I see! Well then, my advice would be one of several things...

First of all, there are MANY MANY people here who have created their own boards and topics in regards to "Diet and Acne", and you will be pleased to now that many of these people have found what works for them and no longer haunt this website.

One person in particular stands out, at least to me, when it comes to diet and acne: http://www.acne.org/...t-lead-to-acne/ . She not only has an abundant of links and research for you to read, she also has a great deal of other people who comment on her boards leaving links of their own. Theres so much information I doubt you'll ever post another question in regards to "diet and acne" again. I'm still trying to get through them all myself!

A lot of what's being discussed lately is the GUT... go on a gut diet and you may just find yourself feeling a hell of a lot better:

http://www.acne.org/...g-the-gut-diet/

http://www.gutpathog.../content/3/1/1/

http://coolinginflam...arch/label/acne

http://www.ncbi.nlm....63/?tool=pubmed

There are also MORE guides to this particular discussion:

http://www.acne.org/...resource-guide/

I would seriously consider you to stop washing your face... with ANYTHING. No lotion and especially no harmful treatments. Yes, Dan's regime works (you can see my gallery if you want, all the pictures are there for everyone) and so do other mixtures of topics, but I find those to be a pain to keep up with not only twice a day but the cost of keeping up with them consistently. They WORK for some people, but you can just as easily change your diet and save time in the bathroom if you just turn your attention to what's being put inside of your body rather than what's being done externally to hide it... and it's cheaper since you have to eat food anyway. That, of course, is just my opinion on it. If you're too nervous to stop, then you have got to change to a more gentle cleanser, Don't buy anything that says "for acne" on it, but something like "Cetaphil"... it wont over dry your skin and it's just strong enough to take off much of the dirt and oil you had to bear throughout your day. As for lotion, get rid of it. Most lotions have an abundance of chemicals that cause your skin to become addicted to them over time. When you stop, your face becomes dry and tight... this is something you have got to bear and move past if you are ever going to break the chain with the plastic bottle. Yes you will be tight for several weeks, but soon your new skin will shed through, leaving you right back at the beginning where you started. That is the skin you want to see. If you can't withstand the tightness and or dryness until it goes away, then use oils instead. Oils cost less because they only take a little to work, and some are REALLY good for acne prone skin (jojoba oil, Grape seed Oil, Almond Oil, etc...), not to mention they wont clog pores. A great deal of these things can be found off the internet (such as amazon) and for better prices than convenience stores advertise. Other than that you should be all set to go in regards to topicals.

As for your lifestyle, you have GOT to move around a lot and exercise. Exercise can literally cures diseases, such as cancer... always keep that in mind. There are an abundance of youtube videos with free exercising regimes that you can do at home in your spare time. Several people have also messaged me about Yoga, but the choice is yours on that one since I prefer my treadmill and weights.

It's going to take a lot of reading, it's going to take a lot of planning, and it's going to take a lot of will power to keep up, but eventually you'll find yourself slowly becoming much better every single day. Results will NOT happen quickly. Changing your body takes time.

And although it's true that certain hormones are linked to acne, lowering them with pills or specific diets always have their risks... I would desperately prefer you to eat well, drink plenty of water, and try to get at least 8 hours of sleep rather than changing your hormonal balance. Your hormones are there for a reason, all you need to do is keep them flowing at an even pace throughout your body and keep them in check with whole foods and a good lifestyle. "Green Gables" had a great post here about hormone levels (she commented about 4 posts down)---> http://www.acne.org/...-getting-wrong/ .

Start at any one of these links and take it from there. Post your own lifestyle regime on the boards and have people freely critique you on what you may or may not want to change. All in all, I would relax and just let your body do it's own natural thing.

Of course, you can try the regime I'm on as well (my "inspiration" link bellow), but I've noticed that a lot of people refuse to juice vegetables everyday. The choice is absolutely yours... I only did this first so that I could continue to learn and review everything about eating healthy WHILE these nutrients were running through my body. It may sound crazy bit it has saved me a lot of time and money doing this. Maybe one day I can gradually get myself off the juicing, or at least only be able to do it once every few days or so, and MAYBE I can also get off the supplements, but only time will tell and if I can't then I am perfectly happy doing what I am doing.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Edited by TreatAcne

So I'm a male and I'm wondering if anti-androgens would help with my acne? What is there that I could take, drink, or whaterver to reduce my androgen levels?

Thanks for the mention, TreatAcne, you have a lot of great recommendations in your post.

Well I'm going to be devil's advocate and say if your acne is hormonally based, you are going to get much more immediate and effective results with consistent anti-androgen use than some trial and error with your diet that could take years. I really wanted to believe that I could fix my acne through diet and lifestyle, tried diligently for years, but my body wouldn't cooperate. I finally cleared a decade of cystic acne in 6 months on an anti-androgen. To each their own...

The easiest thing you can try is Saw Palmetto + Stinging Nettle. 300mg daily the first week, 500mg the second week, 1000mg daily by week 4. LifeExtension sells a good Saw Palmetto and Stinging Nettle Combo pill: http://www.amazon.co...stinging nettle

That said, I believe by following the above poster's recommendations you will highly improve your general health. Most of them are things you "should" be doing anyway. But whether that will fix the acne...my experience says probably not. I really got my hopes up for the years I was on the Paleo diet with lots of raw food and probiotics and great sleep and exercise...but alas.

Edited by Green Gables

There are many nutrients as well as diet habits that improve your body' ability to regulate hormones. There's tons of info in the pinned good things thread.

I'm thinking about getting Paula's Choice RESIST Toner but I see that it has Oleic Acid in it and I thought I read somehwere that can cause acne. Is this true?

Toners are... weird. I'm not sure if the acid part is true... actually I have no idea about toners overall. Some people even use lemons as "toners". Toners might change the tone (durr) of your skin though. If you use too much, it dries OUT your skin, thus making it produce even MORE oil. I guess you'll just have to find the right kind for your skin, but I've never used one on Dan's Regime and I cleared up just fine without it. Toners have a saying about them, that they "close the pores". In my, my brothers, my mothers, and a few of my cousins personal experience, none of that is true in the slightest. It tightened our skin making our pores LOOK smaller, but so does cold water. Plus it doesn't stop the core of your oil production. Whether or not it temporarily delays it, I'm afraid that's for you to find out.

I'm thinking about getting Paula's Choice RESIST Toner but I see that it has Oleic Acid in it and I thought I read somehwere that can cause acne. Is this true?

Toners are... weird. I'm not sure if the acid part is true... actually I have no idea about toners overall. Some people even use lemons as "toners". Toners might change the tone (durr) of your skin though. If you use too much, it dries OUT your skin, thus making it produce even MORE oil. I guess you'll just have to find the right kind for your skin, but I've never used one on Dan's Regime and I cleared up just fine without it. Toners have a saying about them, that they "close the pores". In my, my brothers, my mothers, and a few of my cousins personal experience, none of that is true in the slightest. It tightened our skin making our pores LOOK smaller, but so does cold water. Plus it doesn't stop the core of your oil production. Whether or not it temporarily delays it, I'm afraid that's for you to find out.

Paula's toners are different. They are about restoring ph and some nutrients and moisturizing. And olic acid is a kind of fat. Olive oil is high in oleic acid. And yes, your sebum should be comprised of linoleic acid, but those of us with skin problems tend to be defficient in it. When that's not available, the body uses oleic acid which makes stickier sebum more likely to clog pores.

Paula's toners are different. They are about restoring ph and some nutrients and moisturizing. And olic acid is a kind of fat. Olive oil is high in oleic acid. And yes, your sebum should be comprised of linoleic acid, but those of us with skin problems tend to be defficient in it. When that's not available, the body uses oleic acid which makes stickier sebum more likely to clog pores.

Thank you so much for the info, that makes a lot of sense :).