Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mitzilawson

Can Dianette Cause Acne?!

I went on dianette for acne in October 11(11 months ago) and sure I had the initial breakout but by February my skin was getting better. April and May it was really really good and I hardly ever broke out. End of June/ start of July I started breaking out really bad on my chin, especially at my time of the month.. But just generally I always had loads of spots on my chin- and before dianette my cheeks were always my problem area. So throughout july Ive been trying to get on with it but it continued to be awful in August and now we are starting September and it’s still horribly spotty on my chin. To add to that I’m becomin terribly sick and tired of acne and feeling very very low, I know dianette can cause mood swings and my mum is convinced the pill is giving me terrible mood swings - another negative. Anyways I know chin acne is usually hormonal and I’m wondering whether the pill is causin it. I’m dying to come off the pill as I hate my Mood on it and it’s not seemingly working on my skin?!? But I’m worried if I come off it I’ll get even more acne like on my cheeks and back… Hmm it’s like my skin is shit on the pill and it will most likely be shit off the pill.. I hate this!!!! If u bothered reading this, thank you!!! And my question is what would you do???? Any help?

Did you switch to a generic of Dianette?

There's no way to say for sure if it's Dianette causing your acne or something else. Generally Dianette helps acne because it has a lot of estrogen. But if your hormones are really imbalanced, it may not be strong enough.

There's no way to say for sure if it's Dianette causing your acne or something else. Generally Dianette helps acne because it has a lot of estrogen. But if your hormones are really imbalanced, it may not be strong enough.

Hm I didn't switch at all, I've been picking up a repeat prescription every three months... I don't userstand why it would work for a few months then stop. Hard to figure it out.

I just wonder what others would do in my situation, I really want to finish the pill(I am on my week break and considering to not take another cycle) but I fear if my acne comes back worse, I will go into depression again

Hm I didn't switch at all, I've been picking up a repeat prescription every three months... I don't userstand why it would work for a few months then stop. Hard to figure it out.

I just wonder what others would do in my situation, I really want to finish the pill(I am on my week break and considering to not take another cycle) but I fear if my acne comes back worse, I will go into depression again

That is really strange. Dianette is pretty much marked as The Acne Birth Control Cure. I know it has worked for many people. Before giving up, I would look at when you are taking it. Did you start taking it with food? If you take it too close to a meal it can become ineffective. I would space it out at least 2 hours before/after meals to be safe.

It is also possible that Dianette did clear your hormonal acne, but you started consuming something you are allergic to.

You should give dianette 3-6 months to clear skin , if there is no significant improvement after 6 months and if your still breaking out then it prob doesn't work for you as an acne treatment !

You should give dianette 3-6 months to clear skin , if there is no significant improvement after 6 months and if your still breaking out then it prob doesn't work for you as an acne treatment !

Well I've used it for eleven months, nearly a year so it's definitely past the six months mark aha :(

That is really strange. Dianette is pretty much marked as The Acne Birth Control Cure. I know it has worked for many people. Before giving up, I would look at when you are taking it. Did you start taking it with food? If you take it too close to a meal it can become ineffective. I would space it out at least 2 hours before/after meals to be safe.

It is also possible that Dianette did clear your hormonal acne, but you started consuming something you are allergic to.

-------------

Ive been taking it the same time as usual, at night about 10:30 so i dont think it's that... I don't usually eat after like nine or whatever...

It's so annoying when you can't figure out what it is?!? I can't think of anything new I've been eating or using.....

I'm wondering why is the acne always on my chin? And especially around my time of the month. Like, my cheeks and forehead are 99.9% clear from spots, yet my chin gets so many nasty pimples all the time. And I know chin acne is often hormonal, as many girls get it there during their period. Another thing is the past two/3 months(when the acne started coming back) I've been getting such bad period pain. Anyway, my point is something seems to be going on with my hormones and I feel does that have something to do with dianette? Idk if that makes any sense

I'm wondering why is the acne always on my chin? And especially around my time of the month. Like, my cheeks and forehead are 99.9% clear from spots, yet my chin gets so many nasty pimples all the time. And I know chin acne is often hormonal, as many girls get it there during their period. Another thing is the past two/3 months(when the acne started coming back) I've been getting such bad period pain. Anyway, my point is something seems to be going on with my hormones and I feel does that have something to do with dianette? Idk if that makes any sense

It could be that honestly Dianette's level of estrogen is just too high for you. Typically Diane-35 and Dianette is prescribed to older women who have resistant acne that didn't respond to milder birth control. If this is one of your first BCs there's no way to know if it is too strong for you because you have little to compare it to.

Hormonal changes take a while to fully kick in, so maybe it was a little too strong but still kept you clear for a while, but after a year your body just can't handle it anymore. That is my best guess.

If I were you I would probably quit the Dianette and see what happened. If I still had hormonal acne I would seek a different brand of birth control recommended for acne. Sometimes it takes women trying a few different kinds to find the one perfect for them.

Of course, you can always try spiro like I did, which is not a birth control. It's an anti-androgen and a lot milder. You can see the link in my sig for the full story. But I don't need to prevent pregnancy with BC because I have an IUD. I don't know if you need the BC pill for pregnancy prevention as well.

Edited by Green Gables

It could be that honestly Dianette's level of estrogen is just too high for you. Typically Diane-35 and Dianette is prescribed to older women who have resistant acne that didn't respond to milder birth control. If this is one of your first BCs there's no way to know if it is too strong for you because you have little to compare it to.

Hormonal changes take a while to fully kick in, so maybe it was a little too strong but still kept you clear for a while, but after a year your body just can't handle it anymore. That is my best guess.

If I were you I would probably quit the Dianette and see what happened. If I still had hormonal acne I would seek a different brand of birth control recommended for acne. Sometimes it takes women trying a few different kinds to find the one perfect for them.

Of course, you can always try spiro like I did, which is not a birth control. It's an anti-androgen and a lot milder. You can see the link in my sig for the full story. But I don't need to prevent pregnancy with BC because I have an IUD. I don't know if you need the BC pill for pregnancy prevention as well.

Yeah I think I'm definitely going to quit dianette. I'll see what my skins like after that. Ok I'll check out the link now. Thanks so much for all the advice!!