Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonie8404

Minocycline Issues....frustrating Beyond Words

Ok so I saw a dermatologist over 3 months ago (on NHS) after being treated by my GP for nearly 2 years for adult acne. Nothing worked, the pill, nor other antibiotics but the dermatolgist felt the need to stick me on another course of antibiotics for 6 months - those being minocycline.

The last few weeks have been absolutely hideous for me. My neck and face, mainly my forehead but also in areas around my face has broken out in cystic acne. Its leaving massive scarring and nothing I do is helping it improve, if anything it is getting worse - its so itchy and painful.

I have to wait another 4 months and stay on this stuff before I see the dermatologist again - I dont think my skin nor my sanity could take another 4 months! I don't know what to do - do I go back to my GP to say this isn;t working and I want to be referred back sooner or is there something I could do in the meantime - has anyone had any similar experiences with this antibiotic?

Ok so I saw a dermatologist over 3 months ago (on NHS) after being treated by my GP for nearly 2 years for adult acne. Nothing worked, the pill, nor other antibiotics but the dermatolgist felt the need to stick me on another course of antibiotics for 6 months - those being minocycline.

The last few weeks have been absolutely hideous for me. My neck and face, mainly my forehead but also in areas around my face has broken out in cystic acne. Its leaving massive scarring and nothing I do is helping it improve, if anything it is getting worse - its so itchy and painful.

I have to wait another 4 months and stay on this stuff before I see the dermatologist again - I dont think my skin nor my sanity could take another 4 months! I don't know what to do - do I go back to my GP to say this isn;t working and I want to be referred back sooner or is there something I could do in the meantime - has anyone had any similar experiences with this antibiotic?

I've said this on these boards many times, but here it is again:

Your immune system fights infection in your gut. To do this it requires "good bacteria" (also known as probiotics) to fight off infection and bad pathogens. While an antibiotic can kill harmful pathogens, it also wipes out all the gut flora. Essentially you are wiping out a part of your immune system. Once those gut flora are dead, they DON'T COME BACK unless you put them back in!

This is why probiotics is gaining ground with a lot of people. After being on several courses of antibiotics for acne, they find that the antibiotic stops working and their acne gets worse because they no longer have good bacteria to fight basic infection.

Whether or not you continue taking the minocycline is up to you. But you must at least supplement with a lot of probiotics daily to replenish those gut flora before you kill them off with another dose of minocycline...

<--- Someone who has been on over ten antibiotics and found that it was never a long-term solution,

same thing happened to me. i ended up going the full 6 months on the antibiotics because i thought it was differin that was causing the breakouts, but now i think it was the antibiotics. i would stop taking them if i were you. i have been off mine for 4 months while trying to fix my gut with a very strict diet, haven't seen much improvement.

Minocycline never worked for me. It is usually the first thing derms try. I would recommend that you plead for an appt soon and take in pics to show what your skin looks like at it's worst. No...you should never have to suffer for months and months and if your present derm says you have to then go to another derm. It is absolutely rediculous to expect an adult to put up with disfiguring acne for long lengths of time.

There are so many ways to effectively treat resistent cystic acne. Sometimes it takes a really aggressive multi-prong approach to get the inflammation and infection to go away.

You may need to be on a more effective antibiotic like doxycline or bactrim. Then while on that it also helps to be on an anti-androgen like Spironolactone (which is very mild to the system). You also should be using an antibacterial wash or BP cleanser and also something like retin-a. It really helps to get monthly microdermabrasions so the meds get into the pores better and they unplug more efficiently. Oracea really helps with reducing inflammation and your derm's office should be able to get you a special payment card so you only pay $10 for it.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get a derm who takes you seriously and who can understand what acne feels like. My derm had severe acne before good treatments were available and he has the scars to prove it. Consequently he knows firsthand how it affects your self-esteem. You need someone who really understands!

All derm offices set aside appts for emergencies. It is an emergency if your skin has blossomed with cysts because they will scar your skin. Do not let the office staff stall you...ask to speak with the office manager or the derm's assistant. Keep badgering them. It can be hard but keep trying to get in...ask to be called when there is a cancellation.

It also helps to type up a history of treatments to date and how they worked or didn't. Give this to the derm for your records. Don't assume that your derm got everything from your GP. Sometimes notes are pretty short and not as comprehensive as they need to be. It really helped when I finally did this. My derm had no idea I had tried so many things...but it became pretty clear that just using one or two meds at a time would not stop my acne. This is why my derm devised the regime below. It is complicated but it works and it addresses acne at multiple levels at once. I know that eventually we will try to wean me to just the topicals and microdermabrasions but that is in the future.

Just to let you know, once I was on this multi-prong approach my acne subsided within a couple of weeks. And it has been over 7 months that I have had clear skin. I think that is a pretty good testimony to this approach. Also I take seriously my allergies (get tested) because following my allergy diet also helps lower inflamation.

In the meantime while you look for a long term solution, you should try time released vitamin b5. Start out with maybe 1 1000mg tablet a day and then move onto 2 or 3; within a couple months you should definitely see some improvement as it will help you decrease oil / sebum production. Doesn't work for everyone, but for people like me, it's been nothing short of a miracle.