Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm breaking out like crazy right now and I feel like my Spiro just isn't helping and I'm having trouble waiting it out to see if it works for me. I'm just so sick of getting ready to go to class, looking in the mirror, and just feeling like complete crap. I'm not the most self-confident person anyway and this just isn't helping AT ALL. I seriously feel like a troll. This is really getting to me. I had perfect skin a week into my new relationship and then I started taking birth control and my skin went crazy! It's been 4 months of skin hell! This is the absolute worst time to look like crap! I'm so embarrassed of my skin when I'm around him that I've never taken off my makeup when I'm around him (including sleeping), which only makes my skin WORSE! This is just a vicious cycle of awfulness and I'm just so tired of feeling disgusting and ugly. I just don't even know what to do! I'm so upset! UGHHHHHHH :(

I know how you feel, because whenever I had to sleep over at friend's houses or such, I would be terrified. I would wake up before everyone just so I could go into the bathroom and pile on makeup before anyone saw. I remember I used to carry a compact in my pocket at all times, and every break between classes in high school I would go to reapply my makeup. People thought I was smoking or something!

Then I started noticing as I got older, you really don't notice it. I won't say that to people who care about you, your skin issue is invisible. That's unrealistic. But it's not something they are constantly staring at and worrying about like YOU are. Whenever I look at myself in the mirror I realize all I zoom in on is my skin. But when I try to focus on another part of my face, like my eyes, I realize the bad skin doesn't seem overwhelming as I thought. It's still just me. That's how your boyfriend and family see you.

What helps me is getting it out of the way straight off the bat. Tell them, look my skin looks bad. I am breaking out right now. Talk about it like it was any other problem, like a problem with school or work. Joke about it. After that, it's out in the open, and its not made worse by you and everyone trying to avoid pointing it out.

Your boyfriend wasn't attracted to you for your perfect skin. It's hard to wrap your head around, I know, but you really have to talk to him and tell him and let him tell you why he loves you. And you'll feel a lot better.

From what I know makeup is one of the biggest enemy of your skin, I know you want to hide them, but do you think that hiding them makes things better ? I'm a boy and obviously I can't wear makeup to cover my scars and pimples. And I'll tell you something, at the age of 16 and 17, when I had my face full of big red pimples, I wanted to end my life, actually managed to hurt myself but luckly I was afraid do go any further because my parents were home.

Take that makeup off, don't worry about what people MIGHT think about your skin problem and enjoy your life ! I wasted all my youth inside my room because I was ashamed of my acne, and I regret it deeply. I've found a girl that loves me the way I am, with all my skin problems ! So please ... no .. I beg you, stop thinking about the skin problems, if you often watch in the mirror and go " OH NO ANOTHER ONE " I bet you'll get even more because of the stress !Try not thinking about it and avoid the mirror for one week and I'll promise you that you'll se a difference !

Same thing with the girl above me, I saw she had some scarring on her face, well I don't give a damn about it because she is one beautifull girl ! And I'm pretty sure you are too !

Edited by Xesro

I know completely how you feel. When I had my bad breakout last year I spent a week or so straight of just staying in my room all the time. I avoided friends and even skipped classes. Down the line I do regret it, because friends truly don't care what you look like, they love you for you. But to me, I just felt so embarrassed and ugly that I couldn't concentrate on anything. I would also wear makeup every single second I was around someone in public. I would ONLY take it off right before I went to bed. In the long run that probably wasn't good for my skin but thankfully it didn't really aggravate my acne.

By the way, birth control made my skin go crazy too. :/ It sucks.

Give Spiro a few months. I've heard it's supposed to take 3-4 months to show any improvement.

I know how you feel, because whenever I had to sleep over at friend's houses or such, I would be terrified. I would wake up before everyone just so I could go into the bathroom and pile on makeup before anyone saw. I remember I used to carry a compact in my pocket at all times, and every break between classes in high school I would go to reapply my makeup. People thought I was smoking or something!

Then I started noticing as I got older, you really don't notice it. I won't say that to people who care about you, your skin issue is invisible. That's unrealistic. But it's not something they are constantly staring at and worrying about like YOU are. Whenever I look at myself in the mirror I realize all I zoom in on is my skin. But when I try to focus on another part of my face, like my eyes, I realize the bad skin doesn't seem overwhelming as I thought. It's still just me. That's how your boyfriend and family see you.

What helps me is getting it out of the way straight off the bat. Tell them, look my skin looks bad. I am breaking out right now. Talk about it like it was any other problem, like a problem with school or work. Joke about it. After that, it's out in the open, and its not made worse by you and everyone trying to avoid pointing it out.

Your boyfriend wasn't attracted to you for your perfect skin. It's hard to wrap your head around, I know, but you really have to talk to him and tell him and let him tell you why he loves you. And you'll feel a lot better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one sneaking off to put makeup on haha. I'm trying soooo hard not to let it bother me, but it's difficult. I only just started not wearing makeup around the house at night when my roommate's around and even that freaks me out! I've talked to my boyfriend about it and he doesn't make a big deal of it, but it's still at that point in the relationship where I don't want him to see me looking like crap! There's no "love" stuff happening yet, so I'm like, "rats! I don't have the extra cushion of love to balance out my skin problems!" haha. In the same way that people sort of let themselves go after they get married because they know the other person's already attached, I'm not to the "walk around with my pimples out and wear pj's all day" stage of dating haha.

From what I know makeup is one of the biggest enemy of your skin, I know you want to hide them, but do you think that hiding them makes things better ? I'm a boy and obviously I can't wear makeup to cover my scars and pimples. And I'll tell you something, at the age of 16 and 17, when I had my face full of big red pimples, I wanted to end my life, actually managed to hurt myself but luckly I was afraid do go any further because my parents were home.

Take that makeup off, don't worry about what people MIGHT think about your skin problem and enjoy your life ! I wasted all my youth inside my room because I was ashamed of my acne, and I regret it deeply. I've found a girl that loves me the way I am, with all my skin problems ! So please ... no .. I beg you, stop thinking about the skin problems, if you often watch in the mirror and go " OH NO ANOTHER ONE " I bet you'll get even more because of the stress !Try not thinking about it and avoid the mirror for one week and I'll promise you that you'll se a difference !

Same thing with the girl above me, I saw she had some scarring on her face, well I don't give a damn about it because she is one beautifull girl ! And I'm pretty sure you are too !

I definitely think stressing about my skin is just making it worse, which is just making me more stressed haha. I'm still trying to get up and go out every day, even though I've wanted to skip class a few times because I felt too disgusting to want to be seen.

I know completely how you feel. When I had my bad breakout last year I spent a week or so straight of just staying in my room all the time. I avoided friends and even skipped classes. Down the line I do regret it, because friends truly don't care what you look like, they love you for you. But to me, I just felt so embarrassed and ugly that I couldn't concentrate on anything. I would also wear makeup every single second I was around someone in public. I would ONLY take it off right before I went to bed. In the long run that probably wasn't good for my skin but thankfully it didn't really aggravate my acne.

By the way, birth control made my skin go crazy too. :/ It sucks.

Give Spiro a few months. I've heard it's supposed to take 3-4 months to show any improvement.

I just quit my birth control today. I decided enough was enough and that I could absolutely find a better one for my skin. I'm taking a month or 2 for the Spiro to work its magic and to give my skin a break and then I'm starting Yaz. I figure that if it seems like the type of progesterone in my BC has been the cause of my acne that I should try one that's not as androgenic, Yaz being the best that I've heard of. Hopefully I'm on way back to clear skin!

I just quit my birth control today. I decided enough was enough and that I could absolutely find a better one for my skin. I'm taking a month or 2 for the Spiro to work its magic and to give my skin a break and then I'm starting Yaz. I figure that if it seems like the type of progesterone in my BC has been the cause of my acne that I should try one that's not as androgenic, Yaz being the best that I've heard of. Hopefully I'm on way back to clear skin!

You're not planning on quitting spiro when you start Yaz are you? You can take them together.

I hope you know that the ONLY reason Yaz is recommended for acne is because it contains a low dose of spironolactone in it (about a 15mg dose). Its hormone balance otherwise isn't really optimized to clear acne. So if your current dose of spiro isn't working, Yaz isn't going to do much on top of that.

I would recommend upping your spiro dose when you can. You're on 50? I didn't get clear until 4 months on 100. When I was on 50 I didn't feel like it was doing anything.

I don't need the pill to CLEAR my acne, I just need it to keep it from happening. I only break out on the pill, so as long as it doesn't disrupt my skin when I start it, I'll keep my skin clear and be set. As far as I can tell, it's been the types of progesterone in my pills that has been causing me to break out and Yaz is the only one that has a progesterone that not only doesn't cause acne, but reduces it, since it's a synthetic version of the Spiro. I'm on 75mg of the Spiro right now and was planning on staying on that dose for a few weeks before I up it again to 100mg, which I might not have to do now that I've stopped taking my BC pill. I can't afford to go to the derm right now because I lost my health insurance, so I'm hoping they'll let me refill my prescription before the end of the month because I've upped my dose on my own from 50 to 75 and will run out early. I'll probably keep taking the Spiro when I start the Yaz and hopefully be able to work my way down on the dose if the Yaz doesn't break me out. Right now, I still feel like disgusting because I'm still covered in spots, so hopefully that ends soon!

I'm sorry to hear about the bad breakout! There's one girl on this site that had great success with Spiro, I think her username is Green Gables. Her skin looks really good right now...so I think if you wait it out you'll start to see results. I wouldn't worry about the relationship thing. I'm sure your boyfriend likes you for you and he's not going to care about skin issues. You should try discussing how you feel with him. It'll be a weight off your shoulders, plus it'll probably bring you two closer together because you'll have a supportive person there to share your woes with.

Yeah I've heard wonderful things about Spiro and wish I had the guts and the money to go to a dermatologist to get prescribed all of this wonderful stuff. Hang in there. I'm sure your skin looks way better than mine! :)

And be careful with that makeup missy, use only non-comedogenic makeup and clean brushes and fingers to apply.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad breakout! There's one girl on this site that had great success with Spiro, I think her username is Green Gables. Her skin looks really good right now...so I think if you wait it out you'll start to see results. I wouldn't worry about the relationship thing. I'm sure your boyfriend likes you for you and he's not going to care about skin issues. You should try discussing how you feel with him. It'll be a weight off your shoulders, plus it'll probably bring you two closer together because you'll have a supportive person there to share your woes with.

She actually posted higher up! She does know a lot about Spiro and it's good to hear that it works! It's just sooo hard to be patient haha. I talked to my boyfriend the other night about how stressed I was getting about my skin and he was the one who really encouraged me to stop taking this birth control if it's causing my skin to break out so much. It was nice to get that out there and to know that he was supportive of me doing what made me comfortable!

Yeah I've heard wonderful things about Spiro and wish I had the guts and the money to go to a dermatologist to get prescribed all of this wonderful stuff. Hang in there. I'm sure your skin looks way better than mine! smile.png

And be careful with that makeup missy, use only non-comedogenic makeup and clean brushes and fingers to apply.

As soon as you have the chance, you should definitely try to go see a derm about it! The appointment is the most expensive part and mine gave me a year worth of refills on my Spiro, so you might only need to pay for one appointment right now. The prescription was only $20 a month and that was without insurance. It was half that when I had insurance and I realized they didn't even give me the generic, so I bet that would be even cheaper! It's really worth a shot and even though I haven't seen results yet, it does feel good to know that I've started doing something good for my skin and that I'm already a month towards clearer skin!

I don't wear much makeup--only concealer on spots and a tiny bit of powder for shine, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I might be in the market for a good, light, mineral powder makeup if you've got any suggestions! I might go post in the makeup section about that, actually haha

How long have you been on Spiro so far? It made a dramatic improvement in my skin...but I was really impatient! It probably took 8 months or so to see the most change and before that point I got some pretty bad breakouts, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Now, I've been on it for about 3 years and my skin is the best it has ever been. Just keep telling yourself to wait it out, it will be worth it!

She actually posted higher up! She does know a lot about Spiro and it's good to hear that it works! It's just sooo hard to be patient haha. I talked to my boyfriend the other night about how stressed I was getting about my skin and he was the one who really encouraged me to stop taking this birth control if it's causing my skin to break out so much. It was nice to get that out there and to know that he was supportive of me doing what made me comfortable!

Yeah I've heard wonderful things about Spiro and wish I had the guts and the money to go to a dermatologist to get prescribed all of this wonderful stuff. Hang in there. I'm sure your skin looks way better than mine! smile.png

As soon as you have the chance, you should definitely try to go see a derm about it! The appointment is the most expensive part and mine gave me a year worth of refills on my Spiro, so you might only need to pay for one appointment right now. The prescription was only $20 a month and that was without insurance. It was half that when I had insurance and I realized they didn't even give me the generic, so I bet that would be even cheaper! It's really worth a shot and even though I haven't seen results yet, it does feel good to know that I've started doing something good for my skin and that I'm already a month towards clearer skin!

I don't wear much makeup--only concealer on spots and a tiny bit of powder for shine, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I might be in the market for a good, light, mineral powder makeup if you've got any suggestions! I might go post in the makeup section about that, actually haha

That's true, I do have pretty good insurance and it should cover most of it. I saw a derm last week for these hives I have and he kinda sucked lol but the lady said I would be getting billed and not to worry because it'd only be like $7 or something. O_O That is cheap. But I don't wanna mess around with anything too much.

My skin is looking better but I know I have an underlying issue I need to deal with I just don't know what it is. Can the derm actually figure out if you need Spiro to balance your hormones or do they just use trial and error like I hear they usually do?

I can't wait til you see the wonderful results I'm sure you'll get very soon from it.

Mineral makeups no unfortunately I don't use those because they accentuate every flaw and pore you have (and I have big enough pores as it is). I have a heavier coverage makeup routine so I can't help you much there. I really enjoy the Almay Clear Complexion line (except I use Physician's formula mosaic powder because it does a great job not caking up on me). It can be kinda thick but I use it because it has salicylic acid in it and it has only made my skin look better. I wish the other Almay stuff would have better coverage but if you're looking for less try the Almay Smart Shade line. Almay really is good for acne prone or heck even just sensitive skin.

From my experience, derms are mainly just for trial and error and determining the TYPE of acne you have. Not so much for conditions that overlap into other areas, like hormone imbalances. I kind of just Google my own stuff, figure out what I want, and use them as a human prescription ATM haha.

I think an endocrinologist can do more with that, but it might be expensive and you couldn't be on Spiro or birth control for a few months before you have a hormone workup done.

I really hope the Spiro works! I'm having a mini breakout from stopping the birth control and it's stressing me out again! It's not the cysts I usually get...just these more average ones that spring up during the day and can be popped without much effort, but I still have the remaining cysts and red marks that my birth control gave me. I just have really sensitive skin and my face will get crazy red around anything I pop and my boyfriend is spending the night Wednesday for the first time in weeks and I was really hoping to have cleared up some by then. I know I'm going to have to sleep in a bunch of makeup, which will inevitably slow my skin progress down, so I'm really upset about that. I just want it to be overrrr.