Notifications
Clear all

Clay Masks

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 09/04/2012 1:15 pm

Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with clay masks?

I recently purchased a Seaweed ionic clay mask from The Body Shop, apparantly it draws out impurities, its clarifying and skin refreshing. I have ALOT of clogged pores, like underskin bumps which are really unnattractive and was thinking this may help...I guess its all just trial and error. The ingredients seemed fine aswell.

Just wondering if anyway had any input :)

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 09/04/2012 5:36 pm

I use Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask and I find it to be pretty effective. It's especially effective when I get a blackhead on my nose, I just use this mask and afterwards it's very easy to extract the blackhead. I also like using Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. I don't know that any mask actually clears pores as they claim.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/05/2012 9:04 pm

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque is a favorite for me. It always leaves my skin looking refreshed and clean, and maybe I'm just imagining it but my pores seem smaller and tighter! It also seems to reduce redness/inflammation in the face.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 09/05/2012 11:35 pm

Sulfur clay masks are the best. I have very congested skin and they always work. Buy one that's non scented like acne free, proactive and Murad.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 09/06/2012 2:23 pm

Thanks very much guys :) I will look out for fragrance free ones, Im going to try the one I got from The bodyshop and see how it goes first. I have never used one before though, so Im a little nervous.

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 09/17/2012 2:59 am

i use an avocado and oatmeal mask that i got from cvs. i think the brand is freeman. i use it whenever i actually have the patience to keep it on the face for @ least ten minutes. it's cheap, and i feel really refreshed afterwards. sometimes i use it as a spot treatment. it's supposed to draw out impurities, but that's such an overused claim. i know it def makes my skin much softer.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/10/2012 6:46 am

I think it's best to buy pure bentonite clay, like Aztec Healing Clay, but any brand will do the job, you get much more for your money and you can add things to it as well create a consistency that you prefer. I've never used a ready prepared store bought clay mask that I liked. Most of them hardly contain any clay!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 10/11/2012 2:08 am

Ive actually been using pure Bentonite clay, I read up about it and it said to use it everyday for 2 weeks and then cut back. The first time I used it...wow...just wow, my skin look and felt new, I actually cried as for the first time I thought I look beautiful. I loved using it as it made the any redness go away and gave me a kind of chalky look though, my face felt so wonderful. I have stopped using it after 10 days I I fear that using it everyday was a bit much, so I am actually going to use it like every 3rd or 4th day, we will see.

The clay itself I felt though has brought out underlying spots (my underskin bumbs and now red on my forehead). I also read that it basically pulls the toxins out of your system to the surface and if it seems to get worse then it is working. I never used the store bought one, total waste of money but I was too scared to use it. I just hope using this clay mask periodically will help.

People also eat this clay, like mix it with water and eat it on an empty stomach, its meant to help your digestive system, I actually did try it but it is proper disgusting, its like eating play dough.

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 10/12/2012 8:11 am

I love Bentonite clay as well but french green clay seems to work better for unclogging my pores. I will mix a mask of plain Greek yogurt, clay, honey and crushed aspirin (I am not joking, it is WONDERFUL. Similar properties to salicylic acid). There are many good and natural additives you can use for different issues like witch hazel, avocado, oatmeal, aloe etc. You seem like you have experimented with many of these so you are probably already familiar with them.

You could also try to steam your face with hot water and Calendula (Marygold) petals. It's awesome.

Check out "oil cleansing method" (Google it) and read about that. It sounds interesting and many people swear by it (even though it sounds counter intuitive) but I've been afraid to try.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/14/2012 3:51 pm

I don't think you are meant to use a clay mask every day, I wouldn't use them more than twice a week. I guess it depends on how sensitive your skin is, because the redness could be longer lasting, but I think your skin will dry out from everyday use of clay regardless of sensitivity.

MemberMember
(@forquestions)

Posted : 10/15/2012 3:24 pm

I actually used that exact clay mask before. I liked it, but it's definitely not for an every day thing. Once, twice a week max. I liked it. I don't use it anymore because I don't really use any masks.

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 10/15/2012 7:46 pm

I use the aztec clay mask once a week and it does pull out the toxins. I love it ! it leaves my skin smooth :)

MemberMember
(@loftur)

Posted : 10/16/2012 2:57 pm

I use The Body Shop and Yves Rocher clay masks, they work, but on quite an average level, with no miracles.

MemberMember
(@fullofgrace)

Posted : 10/17/2012 2:30 pm

I used the Seaweed mask and it broke me out in hives! But then again my skin is super sensitive! So i use it on my legs now lol

BodyShop's Aloe vera foam wash is very nice with minimal ingredients...

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 10/17/2012 6:08 pm

I love Bentonite clay as well but french green clay seems to work better for unclogging my pores. I will mix a mask of plain Greek yogurt, clay, honey and crushed aspirin (I am not joking, it is WONDERFUL. Similar properties to salicylic acid). There are many good and natural additives you can use for different issues like witch hazel, avocado, oatmeal, aloe etc. You seem like you have experimented with many of these so you are probably already familiar with them.

You could also try to steam your face with hot water and Calendula (Marygold) petals. It's awesome.

Check out "oil cleansing method" (Google it) and read about that. It sounds interesting and many people swear by it (even though it sounds counter intuitive) but I've been afraid to try.

Good luck!

DO NOT try the oil cleansing method if you have skin problems.

Or think that Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Jojoba Oil will not clog your pores. They can and they will.

I do love me some natural remedies as well. They work better than half the other chemical-based crap. Aztec Healing Clay is the best with Bragg's Organic ACV. ^_^

Honey and lemon masks are also super freaking amazing for any hyperpigmentation!

MemberMember
(@samorales)

Posted : 01/03/2013 1:13 am

I agree! Don't use the Oil Cleansing Method. If I can prevent anyone from going through what I went through with OCM, then I guess it means I have not suffered in vain! *-*

OCM made my acne SPREAD....I went from moderate, chin-only, cysts to PIZZA face :((((

I gave it two whole months and had to abandon it...I am still in recovery....I highly don't recommend it.

MemberMember
(@gresilda)

Posted : 05/12/2013 10:08 pm

I completely agree with samorales.

I tried the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) and I broke out like I never had before in my life. I actually thought maybe the breakouts were caused by other factors, so I kept doing the OCM on and off for about 2 months or so. Every time I did it, my skin was an oily, irritated, clogged mess with tons of inflamed zits all over my face. I tried just using Sweet Almond oil instead of castor oil, but it had the same effect. As soon as I went back to normal store bought cleansers, my face has been gradually getting back to normal.

I tried a Moroccan clay mask and it felt very refreshing. I think I will try it once a week to see if it makes my acne better.

MemberMember
(@kissses)

Posted : 05/16/2013 8:10 pm

Origins Clear Improvement charcoal mask is pretty great- I use it a few times a week.

Before that I also used Queen Helene, which is cheaper and more heavy-duty.

Also, since another poster mentioned it: Honey is a great mask/scrub, but make sure it's organic and raw! Plastic bear honey always made my face itch like crazy and didn't seem to do much.

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 05/17/2013 2:45 am

I've been using Queen Helene for a while now and it really does work awesomely! it makes my pores look much smaller and face less red, at least for a while. it is rather drying though.

I know the folks above me are super anti oil cleanse but. it works wonders for me. I used to live with horrendously dry flaky skin that got worse when I used most products. now I wash and moisturize with oils (jojoba, coconut, olive and or primrose).. and my skin glows and it gets better every day. :) i know it doesn't work with everyone! but people shouldn't be so scared to try it out. spot test people! don't just rub it all over. try a little area and see how you like it.