Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I posted about this a while ago, but it's still bugging me. Does anyone else have relatively clear skin when they're not taking birth control, but then IMMEDIATELY break out on the pill? I broke out moderately on both Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and Ortho Tri Cyclen and SEVERELY on Loestrin 24 fe, which I'm on right now. I've been taking it for 4 or 5 months and have been taking Spiro for the past month with only mild improvements so far. From my research, I've learned that Loestrin is very androgenic, which could be the main problem right now. As acne is my only (but terrible) side effect on this BC, I'm very concerned about switching to another pill, having it still give me acne, and on top of that, possibly getting cramps, headaches, or nausea.

I've run into the problem that my GYN doesn't know about acne and my derm doesn't know about birth control. No one can find me a pill that will not cause someone without acne to start breaking out. I've also noticed that people who had acne before the pill seem to have completely different reactions to the pill than those with clear skin before. Like acne = unbalanced hormones that the pill straightens out and no acne = balanced hormones that the pill screw up. Do any of you guys have any suggestions? I'm feeling like an absolute troll right now and I want my clear skin back :(

My mom had a copper IUD in the past and it scarred her and made her unable to have children, so that kind of freaks me out. It's something I'm still pretty curious about, although I have a very sensitive body from a terrible round of antibiotics. I would just be worried that I'd get it put in and that I would start getting sick and that I wouldn't be able to get it out quickly. I guess that since I've heard both good and bad things from the pill and both types of IUDs that I figured it was less risky to to try a pill and just be able to immediately stop if it didn't agree with me. I probably wouldn't even need the spiro if I stopped hormonal bc because I had pretty perfect skin up until this pill.

Has anyone tried Ortho Evra (the patch)?

Try zovia (generic demulen) maybe. I brokr out on all the pills you mentioned and zovia is fine for me. Or maybe if you only need a form of birth control you could use that lady computer thing that reads your body temp and tells you when you can and cannot get pregnant? I've seen it get pretty good reviews.

I hear lots of positive things about Diane-35 and Dianette. I'm not sure if those are available in the U.S. If not a similar pill is Orthocept.

Try zovia (generic demulen) maybe. I brokr out on all the pills you mentioned and zovia is fine for me. Or maybe if you only need a form of birth control you could use that lady computer thing that reads your body temp and tells you when you can and cannot get pregnant? I've seen it get pretty good reviews.

I hear lots of positive things about Diane-35 and Dianette. I'm not sure if those are available in the U.S. If not a similar pill is Orthocept.

Dianette !

I'll definitely check those out! Thanks!

I've heard a little bit about the fertility computer thing, but I think that's something I'd only use if I wouldn't be super upset if I got pregnant haha. It's really neat and I totally want to use it eventually, but I just feel so nice and safe on the pill as a broke college student haha

Oh, and Green Gables, how long did it take to have actual results from the spiro? My skin improved a lot over the first few weeks and I've been slowly increasing my dose. I've been at 75mg for about a week and I'm still breaking out! I had a few areas that I used to have a lot of cysts and they had finally stayed clear for a few weeks and I was JUST starting to have the scarring be light enough to not need concealer and I woke up with 2 cysts there today. :(

And then I came home from class with 3 smaller pimples on the other side of my face! I'm so frustrated! I feel like such a troll! I had a good week straight of perfect skin and I don't know what happened! I've been eating extremely healthy for the past month and made sure to drink a ton of water, as well as tea (caffeine free), so I'm not sure what else to do. Would spiro just not work if it's the birth control that's causing my acne?

Oh, and Green Gables, how long did it take to have actual results from the spiro? My skin improved a lot over the first few weeks and I've been slowly increasing my dose. I've been at 75mg for about a week and I'm still breaking out! I had a few areas that I used to have a lot of cysts and they had finally stayed clear for a few weeks and I was JUST starting to have the scarring be light enough to not need concealer and I woke up with 2 cysts there today. sad.png

And then I came home from class with 3 smaller pimples on the other side of my face! I'm so frustrated! I feel like such a troll! I had a good week straight of perfect skin and I don't know what happened! I've been eating extremely healthy for the past month and made sure to drink a ton of water, as well as tea (caffeine free), so I'm not sure what else to do. Would spiro just not work if it's the birth control that's causing my acne?

I don't take spiro with hormonal BC (I have an IUD), so I don't have experience taking it with BC. If your birth control is encouraging your acne, you may need an extra high dose of spiro to combat the androgen activity your BC is stimulating on top of everything else.

When I was on 100mg it took me 4 months to see any clearing and 6 months to get to a point where I had only red marks. I weigh 125 lbs. If you are near my weight or over it I bet you would need several months on 100mg to clear.