Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snsdgirl14

Does Anyone Else Miss....

Does anyone else sometimes get EXTREMELY nostalgic for their childhood, like when you lived with your family, didn't care what you looked like and your biggest problem was what you were having for dinner that night?

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I feel so nostalgic and wanting to go back to this time that it brings me to tears. When I was little all I wanted to do was grow up, and I always wondered what I would be like. It feels awful, to say the least, that I ended up being a person with essentially obsessive-compulsive tendencies towards their skin. When I was little I imagined myself going to college, becoming something like a teacher or a veterinarian, and living a happy, fun life like all the 20-something's seem to do in movies. I would've never imagined that at this point in my life I'd be anxious and over-emotional about the state of my skin.

Sometimes I just really miss living with my family. I miss going on daytrips with my mom and dad, playing games with my brother and pet dog, and just really enjoying life to the fullest everyday. I was kind of a funny looking kid (taller than everyone else, super skinny, eyes were wayyy too big for my face) but I never cared. To me, life was wonderful, regardless of how I looked.

I just really miss that time in my life when I didn't care. I know it's useless to feel this way, because you can't turn back time and everyone has to grow up. But whenever I spend a weekend with my parents or something, I'm reminded of my childhood and all I can do is wish I could go back to it. I didn't get acne until maybe my sophomore year of high school. And even then, I didn't care as much as I do now. Maybe it's because I was in the comfort of my parent's home at night, I don't know. Here, in college, I'm living with my closest friends, but I still feel kind of alone because I never talk to them about my skin problems.

At the same time, I know if I were to ever live with my parents again, I'd be depressed (or close to it). I'd most likely lose my friends in college, I would be letting my skin interfere with my education, I would be sitting around with nothing to do, I'd feel generally pathetic. At least while I'm in college I can feel like I'm accomplishing something, but I HATE how I let my skin dictate my moods.

Does anyone have any tips for overcoming this feeling?

That's crazy because I've been having these exact thoughts. My childhood was great. I was always the small kid in the group, but I was always out doing things. I recenty saw pictures of me from high school, and my skin was literally flawless and I looked so much better than I do now. It was really depressing.

I always wanted to grow up too, and I couldn't wait till the day I turned 21. I'll be 23 in 1 week, and I don't feel 23. I feel like Im 18-19. Like you, I never thought I would be living my life in constant fear of my skin. The biggest issues I've had in my life other than my skin was dealing with girls. Ive dated and been with a lot of girls, and always had 3 or 4 girls that I talked to and saw at once when I was in high school, and even a year after.

Now I'm sitting here, at almost 23 years old, with really nothing. was always fighting off girls, now I'm thinking I'll never be in a relationship ever again. I know I have a lot to offer, and I'm a super caring guy, but I just feel like my skin to being perfect is effecting me frm getting a girl. I don't know. I've fine through so many career choices since I graduated high school, from being an EMT, to getting into the fire department, to going into computer related jobs, to the navy, to now nothing and living off unemployment. Fuck.

The only plus is that Im not living with my parents, but I do miss that comfort sometimes. It's horrible when I put things into perspective of how things are right now.

I would just love for my life to start over fresh. Besides my skin obviously, I just want a brand new start in life. I want a girl to be by my side with me through my new adventure in life. I've never had that. Girls have always come and gone for me. I've only been in 1 serious relationship where she was with me through good and bad times. I miss that. I want that. One day I hope I will have that.

Edited by Murph89

I know what you mean!

I do still live with my family though, mainly due to my lack of money to afford renting my own place or to pay for on-campus accommodation at uni. I'd always thought that I'd move out by the time I was 18 though that hasn't happened and it's probably for the better. It does annoy me though...but I'm incredibly thankful for my family and all they've done for me. Once I find a steady job and get a little further through my uni degree then I hope to move out.

I didn't think I'd end up being so concerned about my skin either. It's not something you can expect though really. When I started getting acne I definitely didn't think it would last as long as it has or affect me the way it has. I think I've just come to accept it as a part of my life, though i'll still do all I can to be rid of it.

As far as missing childhood goes - I do miss being a kid sometimes. Not having to worry about anything serious, everything seemed like the best fun. I miss my cousins most of all. I have a cousin a month older than me so we are pretty close and really good friends. He, his sister, my brother and myself spent a lot of time together as kids and some of my favourite memories involve them. We're all fairly close in age so that's just one of the reasons why we are close and got along so well. I don't get to see them much anymore as we live in different cities and have our own separate lives that we're trying to work out. The cousin who is a month older than me, - we keep in touch and chat over facebook a lot. I'm glad that we have remained good friends though it'll be hard for me when he goes into the army. It's all he's ever wanted to do though so I hope it's everything he's hoping it'll be :)

The reality is that we do have to grow up though. Think of it as a door to new opportunities and experiences. I think it's a good thing to hold on to memories of childhood because they're a massive part of who you are. You don't want to forget where you've come from.

I don't really have any advice, sorry. Apart from holding on to memories, and maybe going and having a day trip somewhere with your family sometime like you used to. That might be a nice thing to do for all of you.

I really do believe this is a major reason why people have children. You start to realize you're descending down the hill from your prime, and the only real way to "do-over" is to have a kid and show them how to avoid all the mistakes you made. You can't go back to those carefree times, but you can give some of it to your kid.

I really do believe this is a major reason why people have children. You start to realize you're descending down the hill from your prime, and the only real way to "do-over" is to have a kid and show them how to avoid all the mistakes you made. You can't go back to those carefree times, but you can give some of it to your kid.

Yes, that is true. When I think about having children some of the things I most look forward to are doing the things my parents did for me like taking them on day trips, vacations, playing, etc. I had a great childhood and want to give that to my own child someday.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. :)

Today I took a look at my childhood pictures and realized how I miss the simple life back then... No acne, no topicals or medications, everybody was just so happy and smiling all the time. My childhood is not so great to be honest but it's still so much better than now. Or maybe it's because when looking back to the past, people tend to remember good memories....

I get that way whenever I have just seen my mom or grandparents. I saw a picture of myself last week when I was in high school and my skin looked beautiful. I really want to conquer this acne thing because it definitely is hard for me to stay positive and confident.