Notifications
Clear all

Looking For Advice For My Scars! (With Pictures)

MemberMember
(@sullivan90)

Posted : 09/02/2012 3:39 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been a visitor of these boards for the past three years and I found a lot of great information and advice for my acne. Over the past year my skin has gotten much better. My acne got pretty severe for a while but as I began making changes in my diet/lifestyle I saw more and more of an improvement. Most of my acne had been cleared up for a few months when my skin seemed to go through one last purge in the late spring. The pimples were very hard/stubborn and took several weeks to go away, leaving a slew of new scars and angry hyperpigmentation marks.

I already had a few icepick scars on both cheeks but I really don't care about those, they're so small and barely noticeable. However there are other little nicks that lay among a few of what seem to be shallow rolling scars and this is the area which bothers me most. Like I said, the rolling scars are shallow (in fact, most morning they're almost completely gone because of micro swelling) but some of the sides are more exaggerated so in certain lights they look very boxy and the pricks around them look like they push them in deeper in spots. The hyperpigmentation is very red and very prominent. Overall my complexion is fairly uneven and blotchy.

So I was wondering what you guys would suggest for me? The scarring is not terribly severe and I'm working on a really healthy diet and skin care routine that I know will help with the healing process but I would definitely like to see if there was something that could improve these once and for all. I've been using a glycolic peel (50) for several weeks, mostly for my complexion, along with copper peptides, but the peel doesn't appear to be strong enough to even help my skin tone and I don't know if CP's are going to do much for such shallow spots so I'd rather start looking into something a little stronger.

I've been been thinking about getting into TCA peels and eventually building up to do the TCA cross procedure on a few of the indented scars because I really think it could help fill them in and improve the texture across my cheeks. Does this seem like a worthwhile treatment? And if so, where can I get a legitimate and safe TCA peel? And what percentage should I start with? Any recommended sites or brands?

I know lasers are the big thing these days but I'd be very nervous about the risks. However, because my scarring isn't too severe and I don't need any deep resurfacing, would lasers be able to get rid of the indented scars and uneven complexion quickly and easily? It could be quite simple but you hear so many horror stories... I've always wanted to try microdermabrasion too, to help with the uneven complexion - so many people say it's useless but perhaps it would help with with the texture?

Right now I'm doing weekly glycolic peels and using a mask of manuka honey and turmeric (sometimes cinnamon) most evenings for about an hour for the HP. I was using the copper peptides almost daily for a few months as a spot treatment for the scars but then took a break because it made me break out a bit and wanted to let my pores unclog and get my health back on track before I started using it regularly again.

I've attached some pictures of my left cheek where the worst indented scars are. They're hard to see but there is a small indentation around every red mark in the picture. You can see them best in the shots I took looking down at the my face. The shadowed areas are all uneven. If anybody has any feedback, either on the treatments I mentioned or something else you think would be helpful, I'd love to hear your advice!

post-123543-0-21336300-1346617452_thumb.

post-123543-0-72569100-1346617543_thumb.

post-123543-0-46266800-1346617666_thumb.

post-123543-0-02470500-1346617780_thumb.

post-123543-0-21336300-1346617452_thumb.

post-123543-0-72569100-1346617543_thumb.

post-123543-0-46266800-1346617666_thumb.

post-123543-0-02470500-1346617780_thumb.

MemberMember
(@porenomore)

Posted : 09/03/2012 12:34 pm

i have scars pretty similar to yours on my cheeks, and I've been thinking about doing tca cross as well!

MemberMember
(@blester33)

Posted : 09/03/2012 4:12 pm

Mine are similar, I'm using Tretinoin .1 and it slowly helps

MemberMember
(@acneacnegowaway)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:56 pm

My cheeks look very similar to yours. I had a lactic peel done and I think it helped a bit, and now I'm using tretinoin, I will be sure to let you know how it improves. Goodluck to you!