Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello.

I have been on the regimen for almost 2 months now. There are some problems I am having, and I would like to talk about them today to see if anyone else also has them, and for advice.

1. I absolutely, positively CANNOT find a good moisturizer. First I tried Dan's moisturizer, which always turned my face ORANGE, as did jojoba oil. I loved how it felt and moisturized my skin, although I HATED walking around with an orange face! Also, I have tried Cetaphil, Olay, and Clearasil; all of which burned like HELL. Dan, you NEED to make a different moisturizer. Lately, I've just gone completely without moisturizer, and I am flaking like crazy. I have to go to school a lot of times with flakes all over my face, which I remove either with tweezers or I just scratch them all off during class...which isn't very effective.

2. It's not working all that well for me. My breakouts lately are......weird. The spot I am breaking out the most is on my left cheek, under my eye. And those zits would NOT go away. I went crazy and just popped em all, and now I've got a huge scab on my cheek. I'm scared I might have Impetigo again...something I suffered from recently and was reminded of because of this.

3. The benzoyl peroxide seems to be making my face tan more than my neck. It's a bit bothersome. Most people don't seem to notice, and if they do they don't tell me anything about it. But still....when I look in the mirror, It bugs me to see such a pale neck, yet such a tan face.

Help is very much appreciated. I really would love this regimen to work for me, but if I can't fix some of these problems...I may just go off it.

You seem clearly frustrated with whats happening and obviously the things you pointed out would be really annoying. My advice to you is that following DKR is not easy, but it does work in the end if you're committed. I've reached a year now following the regimen and for the first time in my life, I'm free of acne.

In the early months of the regimen, I suffered from a red face, dry flaky skin, awful burning and worse than ever breakouts, but through it all I tried to stay positive and committed and i've now been rewarded. I now put BP on my face and it doesnt hurt, it doesnt dry out my skin and its now free of acne, but to get to this point I went through hell. So if you want to see results from following the regimen, you will have to accept that there are downsides to following it in the early months.

A lot of poeple struggle with Dan's moisturiser. Personally at first I didnt find it moisturising enough, but when I used anything else it just broke me out. Dan's moisturiser helped to get me clear and as that was my main goal, i just put up with its downsides (not moisturising enough, and tints the skin). If the flakes are driving you crazy, then many people (and I've tried it myself and quite liked it) tried and liked Cetaphil. Give it a shot. Another thing you can try is incorporating AHA+. It was a godsend to me.

If you are starting to break out more after 2 months, then perhaps take a look at what you are doing. Have you changed the way you follow the regimen? I know at around the 3 month mark I started to break out again and started to think that BP wasnt working anymore. But I realised that it was because I was becoming less gentle with my skin, skipping applications etc, basically just not following it as carefully. Maybe thats what you've started doing and not realised it?

Yup, the BP makes your face a bit red. It happened to me but it only lasted a couple of months, but again I just concentrated on what I was trying to achieve and the end goal rather then focussing on the downsides.

I know it probably doesnt feel like it now, but it does get better. Try and remain positive and think about 6 months time. Good luck!

You seem clearly frustrated with whats happening and obviously the things you pointed out would be really annoying. My advice to you is that following DKR is not easy, but it does work in the end if you're committed. I've reached a year now following the regimen and for the first time in my life, I'm free of acne.

In the early months of the regimen, I suffered from a red face, dry flaky skin, awful burning and worse than ever breakouts, but through it all I tried to stay positive and committed and i've now been rewarded. I now put BP on my face and it doesnt hurt, it doesnt dry out my skin and its now free of acne, but to get to this point I went through hell. So if you want to see results from following the regimen, you will have to accept that there are downsides to following it in the early months.

A lot of poeple struggle with Dan's moisturiser. Personally at first I didnt find it moisturising enough, but when I used anything else it just broke me out. Dan's moisturiser helped to get me clear and as that was my main goal, i just put up with its downsides (not moisturising enough, and tints the skin). If the flakes are driving you crazy, then many people (and I've tried it myself and quite liked it) tried and liked Cetaphil. Give it a shot. Another thing you can try is incorporating AHA+. It was a godsend to me.

If you are starting to break out more after 2 months, then perhaps take a look at what you are doing. Have you changed the way you follow the regimen? I know at around the 3 month mark I started to break out again and started to think that BP wasnt working anymore. But I realised that it was because I was becoming less gentle with my skin, skipping applications etc, basically just not following it as carefully. Maybe thats what you've started doing and not realised it?

Yup, the BP makes your face a bit red. It happened to me but it only lasted a couple of months, but again I just concentrated on what I was trying to achieve and the end goal rather then focussing on the downsides.

I know it probably doesnt feel like it now, but it does get better. Try and remain positive and think about 6 months time. Good luck!

Thank you for replying! It's very reassuring.

It IS working, but not as much as I'd hoped :S. My forehead has made the most improvement. Almost completely clear there. I've just got one or two tiny bumps and some scars on my forehead. My cheeks and chin have the worst of it though. My left cheak....there's just a huge network of zits near my eye area. I popped em...because they wouldn't go away....lasted for weaks...now it's starting to heal up a bit.

I have tried Cetaphil...and I hated it. It ruined my picture day. Even when I don't have benzoyl peroxide on my face, it burns like hell. And, it turns my face orange and gives it a greasy look. AHA, I also have tried. Dan's AHA to be precise. If I put it all over my face, it burns pretty bad. Every now and then I'll use it as a spot treatment, though. Doesn't burn much then.

So here's what I'm doing now:

Mornings: Facial Massage with Dan's Jojoba oil (wait ten minutes afterward)

2 full pumps of Dan's cleanser

Done.

Nights: 2 full pumps of Dan's cleanser

3 full pumps of Dan's BP

Anything you'd recommend I change about this? This is what I do to get my face the very least flaky and red durning the day.

It IS working, but not as much as I'd hoped :S. My forehead has made the most improvement. Almost completely clear there. I've just got one or two tiny bumps and some scars on my forehead. My cheeks and chin have the worst of it though. My left cheak....there's just a huge network of zits near my eye area. I popped em...because they wouldn't go away....lasted for weaks...now it's starting to heal up a bit.

I have tried Cetaphil...and I hated it. It ruined my picture day. Even when I don't have benzoyl peroxide on my face, it burns like hell. And, it turns my face orange and gives it a greasy look. AHA, I also have tried. Dan's AHA to be precise. If I put it all over my face, it burns pretty bad. Every now and then I'll use it as a spot treatment, though. Doesn't burn much then.

Done.

3 full pumps of Dan's BP

Anything you'd recommend I change about this? This is what I do to get my face the very least flaky and red durning the day.

Sounds good except for not using ANY moisturizer. You have to find something, anything non-comedogenic to use otherwise your skin is going to stay super dry.

Done.

3 full pumps of Dan's BP

Sounds good except for not using ANY moisturizer. You have to find something, anything non-comedogenic to use otherwise your skin is going to stay super dry.

Okay, but is it really necessary to moisturize twice a day? Because, If once a day is fine, I could probably just use Dan's Moisturizer only at night. Just so I don't have to go around all day with a totally orange face, hehe.

Done.

3 full pumps of Dan's BP

You are not on The Regimen. Eliminate the jojoba oil massage. It may be aggravating your skin. Get on The Regimen strictly with the right products and do not add in or do anything else. As someone mentioned above you do not have a moisturizer listed. It's very important. You are also not using the bp twice daily as suggested. This is likely keeping you from getting clear.

Bottom line, please re-read through the Regimen instructions. http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Watch Dan's videos. http://www.acne.org/video.html

Follow it very strictly without skipping applications or products. http://www.acne.org/checklist.html

For dryness, read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

You might try the non-spf version of Olay Moisturizing Lotion for Sensitive Skin. Or Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.

I realize you aren't being strict with The Regimen due to the dryness and redness, but tinker around with a few different moisturizers if you can't get Dan's to work for you. Add a few drops of jojoba oil to whichever moisturizer you go with. Rather than skip the morning bp, try just using a less amount for awhile.

In the beginning, any moisturizer has the potential to burn. Make sure you are waiting the appropriate times between steps. This really helps.

http://www.acne.org/checklist.html

It is very necessary to moisturize twice a day. And I definitely would not be skipping BP in the morning if you're still breaking out. You'll just have to find a moisturizer that works for you. When I started the regimen several years ago, I went through several moisturizers until I found one that was right for me; I literally tried a dozen or so different moisturizers.

I agree with Brandy -- what you're doing is definitely not the regimen.

Yep I agree with moisturising and applying of the BP twice a day. Plus it sounds like you're applying too much BP at night. I'm pretty sure it should be only 2 pumps, not 3. So maybe apply one pump in the morning and two at night for a while and see if that helps (while moisturising of course). And I'm with Brandy, stop doing the 10 minute jojoba oil massage, that will be just irritating your skin too much. Touch your face as little as possible.

But seriously, follow Dan's instructions exactly for a month and then judge if the regimen is working for you. If you start to mess around with the steps, you'll just never know if its your fault its not working.

Okay. Thanks everybody for the advice.

I've ordered some more of Dan's moisturizer, which I plan to use at night. In the mornings, I will be moisturizing with Olay, as it doesn't burn much anymore (thank god :DDD). I like to do it this way so that I won't have to be seen during the day with dan's moisturizer on, because it turns my face really really orange. I might also mix some AHA in there every now and then.

Guest T.M.

Definitely follow Dan's guidelines to the tee before you start changing things up a bit. Regarding moisturisers, have a look at the reviews for some ideas. Moisturisers are a hard one to pin down, one size doesn't fit all. Have a look at Cerave, DML or some of the Eucerin products. AHA definitely works once you can give it a try.