Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whoartthou1

Can My Body Tolerate Wheat/gluten?

I have been doing a lot of research on my ethnicity (i am an indian punjabi, of sikh religion), and the biggest staple in my culture/ethnicity is wheat. We practically eat wheat at every meal 3 times a day. From a biological stand point, does this mean i am adapted to eating wheat more so than others?

I noticed that i get bad breakouts when i eat rice (long grained white or brown) and even sweet potatoes.

thanks

I forgot to elaborate on that aspect. After doing a good amount of research, wheat is supposedly the worst grain for acne prone people. Reason being is that it has a ton of lectins (antinutrients) and the insane amount of gluten in wheat can mess up your gut (intestinal permeability) where the food is not properly digested and leaks into the blood stream.

After reading this, i decided to give up wheat and started eating long grain white rice (soaked for 24 hours) and sweet potatoes (cutting the skin off). I was breaking out more than usual while eating these items.. more so than wheat.

So either i am allergic to both sweet potato or rice (i doubt that), or the glycemic load of these foods is causing my acne (but sweet potato is low GL, while white rice is the only carb i eat when i eat it, combined with fish or beef).

In essence, i have no idea why i break out from sweet potato and rice

I forgot to elaborate on that aspect. After doing a good amount of research, wheat is supposedly the worst grain for acne prone people. Reason being is that it has a ton of lectins (antinutrients) and the insane amount of gluten in wheat can mess up your gut (intestinal permeability) where the food is not properly digested and leaks into the blood stream.

After reading this, i decided to give up wheat and started eating long grain white rice (soaked for 24 hours) and sweet potatoes (cutting the skin off). I was breaking out more than usual while eating these items.. more so than wheat.

So either i am allergic to both sweet potato or rice (i doubt that), or the glycemic load of these foods is causing my acne (but sweet potato is low GL, while white rice is the only carb i eat when i eat it, combined with fish or beef).

Heck maybe the avocados i was eating were causing the breakouts... i have no clue

This is very strange... either my acne is erupting right now because i had something not right for my body a few weeks ago... or sweet potatoes cause me acne.

How long exactly has it been since the switch? Something you ate even two weeks ago could still be causing your breakouts, acne can crop up quickly, but generally speaking it takes at least a few days to form from something you ate, and it's not uncommon for that breakout to continue for two weeks or so.

More likely (if you are allergic to gluten), since you've been eating it your gut is damaged and inflamed, causing your breakouts. Try not having any gluten at all for 30 days and note if there's a difference or not. I cut out gluten and noticed a huge difference, especially a reduction in cystic acne. In the meantime try lots of anti-inflammatory foods and herbs like kelp, turmeric, teas (specifically green, white, rooibos, mints), berries, ginger, chamomile, and tulsi. Drink lots of water of course too. Sweet potatoes are actually anti-inflammatory, so unless you have an allergy they should actually be doing your skin good, in theory. Residual gluten is likely the culprit. My mother who has celiac's disease claims that it takes at least 5 days for gluten to leave her system after she eats it, based on the stomach upset she feels until then.

One thing about the rice is what white rice has next to no nutritional value. If brown rice is available that's a better option! Even better would be quinoa.

Edited by jennifer36

You could have problems with starch in general, not necessarily because of blood sugar issues but because of an intestinal flora imbalance. Some people clear up on the GAPS diet/Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is basically a starch-free diet.

How long exactly has it been since the switch? Something you ate even two weeks ago could still be causing your breakouts, acne can crop up quickly, but generally speaking it takes at least a few days to form from something you ate, and it's not uncommon for that breakout to continue for two weeks or so.

More likely (if you are allergic to gluten), since you've been eating it your gut is damaged and inflamed, causing your breakouts. Try not having any gluten at all for 30 days and note if there's a difference or not. I cut out gluten and noticed a huge difference, especially a reduction in cystic acne. In the meantime try lots of anti-inflammatory foods and herbs like kelp, turmeric, teas (specifically green, white, rooibos, mints), berries, ginger, chamomile, and tulsi. Drink lots of water of course too. Sweet potatoes are actually anti-inflammatory, so unless you have an allergy they should actually be doing your skin good, in theory. Residual gluten is likely the culprit. My mother who has celiac's disease claims that it takes at least 5 days for gluten to leave her system after she eats it, based on the stomach upset she feels until then.

One thing about the rice is what white rice has next to no nutritional value. If brown rice is available that's a better option! Even better would be quinoa.

dumb me, i ate some gluten today.

Maybe i need to try the SCD diet (i tried it for 2 months last time, and felt very depressed because of the lack of energy during that time)

You could have problems with starch in general, not necessarily because of blood sugar issues but because of an intestinal flora imbalance. Some people clear up on the GAPS diet/Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is basically a starch-free diet.

you know what, i think thats probably my issue. I think i do have an intestinal flora imbalance (took oral antibiotics 1 year and half ago... thats when my body acne got way worse).