Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lee00001

Help! What Am I Getting Wrong.....

I changed my diet about 2 months ago and it is currentlyas follows:

- No food until mid day (except 1 apple/banana and 1 pear)

- brown rice pasta (100g - pre cooked weight)

+ with coconut oil, ground coriander, and coriander leaf

- Peas (steamed)

- 2 large Carrots (steamed)

- 1/2 tin canned skipjack tuna

- 1 large sweet potato (baked)

- Cauliflower (steamed)

- Broccoli (steamed)

- Beetroot

- King prawns or canned sardines (in brine)

- Brown rice (200g - pre cooked weight)

- Red and white/green cabbage (stir-fried in coconut oil)

- Chicken/turkey

- Onion

- Turmeric, mint, coriander leaf

- Supplements: 15mg zinc, 1.2g DHA/EPA

Up until last week this diet reduced the severity significantly but didn't really clear it (redness was still there but I didn't feel like I had acne), then suddenly the inflammation returned and I have had a breakout of new acne. Usually my acne is 90% redness, 10% actual spots.

I have recently been looking into the paleo theory of any grain cannot be properly digested/impairs digestion and should not be eaten. I agree with the principles of this but I am extremely active and although I want to try grain free (on top of egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free etc.), I am worried about compromising my energy requirement as I have already lost weight (not in a good way) from cutting chunks of foods out of my diet.

Secondly I have recently read about candida. This also makes sense in my case because antibiotics always clear my acne 90%, and the acne then slowly and gradually returns over 4-6 months. I however have no idea how to correct this however.

Other things which may be important:

- I have always had bad hayfever, and this summer it has gone

- I only had acne around my mouth and nose until I used topical Retin-A which broke me out everywhere (and it has been the same since except for a 9 month period due to a course of lymecycline)

- Dairy breaks me out pretty bad

- Nuts seem to develop spots around my nose (within 24 hours of consumption)

- I suspect eggs, nuts, gluten and some fruits (pineapple, melon and citrus) of contributing to my acne but it hasn't been calm enough for long enough to properly test.

- I went to spain a few years ago (when it was at its worse) and after about 8-9 days it cleared almost completely. My diet wasn't great and I was drinking a fair bit of alcohol (was that really me?!). When I came back it progressively got worse over a month or so.

- ALL face washes dry my skin out, I currently use warm water and simple water based moisuriser (which doesn't make my skin flake)

- My mum has had eczema most of her life

- When I get hot, I feel clammy and usually a breakout results

Many thanks to anyone who has taken their time to read this. I have very little time at the moment to research and make sense of all the facts (and fiction) regarding acne, so I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Best wishes, Lee.

You sound a awful lot like me, even the eczema! My older brother gets severe acne just like me... Maybe I can help you out a little...

First of all, I cleared my acne with Dan's regime, I have numerous pictures in my gallery if you want to take a look. But I hate topical treatment, they dry me out too. Just remember, if a product works too good then the customer won't come back. They are NOT there for you, they are there for business. I completely stopped and my skin has never felt better. It was tight and ry at first but now is soft and stress free. Stoping COMPLETELY should get rid of some of the acne your aggravating AND save you time in the bathroom. Now I just take a shower and pat dry... what's to complain about that?

... BUT... don't give up on topics just yet. There may be some things that will help your acne prone skin, such as Linoleic Acid (found in grape seed oil). I would explain the scinece behind that but it seems that people keep beating me to the punch whenever I discover something...

... Do you know who alternativista is here on acne.org? I discover more and more of her posts every day, maybe reading her stuff will also enlighten you a bit... her first post that everyone should read is right here: http://www.acne.org/...t-lead-to-acne/ . I know you don't have time to read and follow the links now, but if you organize your schedule and life for a few minutes of time to where you can at least sit and/or print this stuff out later, then I would highly suggest you do so, even show your dad/mom/siblings/etc so that they can debate it when your off doing your own thing...

Don't fret TOO much about your diet as long as you are 80 percent whole/good and 10 to 20 percent whatever else you like. Avoid sugar at all times though, but I'm doing NO sugar/dairy/gluten anyway because it reduces the bloating in my stomach. I was always flat but never knew I was THAT flat o_0...

I eat almost exactly what you eat, but after years and years of internet searching I think I have the reason why Vegetables ALONE may NOT be good enough for SEVERE acne sufferers like us...

... Bellow I have two links, FAQ's about me and where I got my regime. What you need to do is buy vegetables for JUICING. Juicing them will remove their fibre and give you a complete liquid form. Your body is less stressed when digesting them, and the nutrients come flooding in and incredible rates. It's exactly what you need and is something that pills/vitamins/face washes will never be able to give you and your family. Also, if your family has acne then that's double fun! You only need to buy one juicer, so you all can pitch in and help each other out!

Also, you may not like to hear this, but vitamins COULD help out. I don't know what else you are taking, but if you're like me and my brother then you may be very sensitive. After taking several vitamins in the past and throwing up all the damn time ("innocent" ones too like Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin A, special kids of teat, etc...), I almost gave up. In my regime there are only two vitamins though... B5 and L-Carnitine. They have NO side effects (for me) and offer almost no possibly way of overdosing whatsoever, so it's no surprise that I have been feeling normal for more than a month. You can not get these at your local pharmacy or supper market, it'll have to be a vitamin shop or internet.

Vitamin C tablets are known to help heal wound time, so you wont be AS red in case your acne bursts, that might help... and if you don't get 30 minutes of sunlight a day then try taking some Vitamin D3 chewable tablets/gummies/whatever too if you think it's alright with your body. Do things slowly!!!

Read my regime (inspiration) bellow and see if that helps you and your family out.

Also, my eczema is still with me and hasn't gone away either. My mom gets it too. I get it on my arms and seldom behind my knees. For now I'm ignoring it but when my acne goes away I'll be tending to that next...

... Best of luck!!! biggrin.png

Edited by TreatAcne

Try replacing the brown rice with quiona? It takes much less time to cook, has more protein (with all 9 essential amino acids), and more micronutrients.

Also, try to get more leafy greens in your diet. Maybe try a green smoothie in the morning (Blend fruits and leafy greens. There are a lot of threads on this forum with different yummy combinations)

You'll get a lot of diet recommendations on this forum. If you are frustrated with that (as I was), also look into hormonal treatment from a doctor or through natural means. Diet can affect your hormones but it is not the sole cause or cure for a hormone imbalance especially if yours is severe. Endocrinology, compared to some other medical fields, is still very "under development", so there is a lot we don't understand.

Anyway, acne can be caused by a hormone imbalance. Typically an excess of testosterone or androgen activity.

Here are some reasons you could have excess androgen activity and hence acne:

Hyperthyroidism

Hyperthyroidism may cause elevated testosterone levels. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, or NIDDK, hyperthyroidism, also known as thyrotoxicosis, is a disorder in which your thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. Possible signs and symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism include elevated testosterone levels in males, acne, nervousness or irritability, fatigue, difficulty sleeping, heat intolerance, hand tremors, irregular heart beat, weight loss and mood swings.

Adrenal Gland Tumors

Adrenal gland tumors can cause an increase in testosterone levels. The Center for Pancreatic and Biliary Diseases at the University of Southern California states that your adrenal glands are yellowish-orange colored glands that sit on top of your kidneys. Your adrenal glands are comprised of two distinct parts: cortex and medulla. Your adrenal cortex is the outer part of your adrenal gland, whereas your adrenal medulla is the inner part. Adrenal gland tumors can manifest in either part of your adrenal gland. Possible signs and symptoms associated with an adrenal gland tumor include increased testosterone levels in men: acne, increased blood pressure, decreased potassium levels, heart palpitations, nervousness, anxiety, diabetes and abdominal stretch marks.

Precocious Puberty

Precocious puberty can cause high testosterone levels in young men. According to MayoClinic.com, puberty occurs when your body changes from that of a child into an adult. Puberty involves accelerated bone and muscle growth, changes in body size and shape and the development of reproductive capabilities. In most boys, puberty begins between the ages of 9 and 14. Precocious puberty is puberty that begins before age 9 in boys.

Steroid Use

Weightlifters, bodybuilders and athletes take supplements to increase their testosterone levels during workouts and sporting events. Anabolic steroids, creatine and other supplements increase testosterone levels and allow the body to build muscle mass and strength at faster than normal rates. Men naturally produce more testosterone than women, but extra amounts are needed to build the stamina and mass they feel they must have to compete.

Drug Use

Men and women who use anti-seizure medications or barbiturate drugs can also suffer from too much testosterone.

Other Factors

Exercise of any type, especially at the athletic level, if done regularly can increase your testosterone levels to the point of an imbalance.

Edited by Green Gables

Have you looked into corn free? Are you eating anything that has corn hidden in it? Corn is the biggest source of my breakouts and most of it is genetically modified nowadays.

@TreatAcne Thanks for the advice. I am aware of who alternativista is and have read some of her posts, but unfortunately I have very little time for extra reading, let alone actually taking it in haha.

@Jen0489x I have just bought some Quinoa (red, wild and normal) and definitly intend to reduce my rice consumption. I do eat quite alot of leafy greens (e.g. spinach, spring greens etc.) but not everyday which is why i left them out of the list.

@Green Gables I have no doubt that it was an hormonal problem, which caused my initial acne, oily skin and mass breakouts. But since changing my diet my skin is no longer oily at all and my inflammation levels are much reduced to the point where 90% of the time I don't realise I have acne. My main issue is the duration that the redness remains after a spot has formed.

@alexisc I don't eat corn at all, not a massive fan of it to be honest.

Just to update I have further changed my diet after stumbling across the Paleo diet principles when talking to some guys at the gym. Although some people take it to the extreme, I really think they are on to something. Some of us cannot tolerate grain products, maybe in my case the anti-nutrients are preventing zinc absorption (amongst others) which is contributing....

My current diet is:

BF (12pm) - Steamed broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage; Canned Tuna in spring water; Macadamia nut oil; Probiotic (25 billion), 600 mg DHA/EPA, 15 mg Zinc

Lunch (4pm) - Lamb/chicken (grilled, fried or baked), sweet potato (baked in coconut oil), brussels, beetroot, coconut oil sauce

Snack (Around sport) - Rice & Quinoa rice cakes with 100% wild fruit raspberry/blueberry jam, macadamia nuts; 600 mg calcium, 2500IU vit D

Dinner (8pm) - Brown rice, white rice or quinoa, chicken/turkey (fried/grilled), stir-fried red cabbage, green/white cabbage, spring greens; 600 mg DHA/EPA, 15 mg Zinc, Probiotic (2.5 billion)

I have confirmed that the following cause me either significant GI distress or acne inflammation/formation: Eggs (large hard lumps on my forehead), flaxseed (stomach ache/diarrhea), buckwheat (severe bloating), dairy (overall inflammaiton/oily skin).

I suspect the following foods: Wheat, white potatoes, tree nuts, legumes, beef (currently retrying this one).

The only problem with my current diet is that i'm struggling to meet 3,000 kcal, and macadamia nut oil and coconut oil is exphensive! The upside however is that I typically have significantly more energy during exercise from eating a low carb/high fat diet....

I changed my diet about 2 months ago and it is currentlyas follows:

- No food until mid day (except 1 apple/banana and 1 pear)

- brown rice pasta (100g - pre cooked weight)

+ with coconut oil, ground coriander, and coriander leaf

- Peas (steamed)

- 2 large Carrots (steamed)

- 1/2 tin canned skipjack tuna

- 1 large sweet potato (baked)

- Cauliflower (steamed)

- Broccoli (steamed)

- Beetroot

- King prawns or canned sardines (in brine)

- Brown rice (200g - pre cooked weight)

- Red and white/green cabbage (stir-fried in coconut oil)

- Chicken/turkey

- Onion

- Turmeric, mint, coriander leaf

- Supplements: 15mg zinc, 1.2g DHA/EPA

Up until last week this diet reduced the severity significantly but didn't really clear it (redness was still there but I didn't feel like I had acne), then suddenly the inflammation returned and I have had a breakout of new acne. Usually my acne is 90% redness, 10% actual spots.

I have recently been looking into the paleo theory of any grain cannot be properly digested/impairs digestion and should not be eaten. I agree with the principles of this but I am extremely active and although I want to try grain free (on top of egg-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soya-free, gluten-free etc.), I am worried about compromising my energy requirement as I have already lost weight (not in a good way) from cutting chunks of foods out of my diet.

Secondly I have recently read about candida. This also makes sense in my case because antibiotics always clear my acne 90%, and the acne then slowly and gradually returns over 4-6 months. I however have no idea how to correct this however.

Other things which may be important:

- I have always had bad hayfever, and this summer it has gone

- I only had acne around my mouth and nose until I used topical Retin-A which broke me out everywhere (and it has been the same since except for a 9 month period due to a course of lymecycline)

- Dairy breaks me out pretty bad

- Nuts seem to develop spots around my nose (within 24 hours of consumption)

- I suspect eggs, nuts, gluten and some fruits (pineapple, melon and citrus) of contributing to my acne but it hasn't been calm enough for long enough to properly test.

- I went to spain a few years ago (when it was at its worse) and after about 8-9 days it cleared almost completely. My diet wasn't great and I was drinking a fair bit of alcohol (was that really me?!). When I came back it progressively got worse over a month or so.

- ALL face washes dry my skin out, I currently use warm water and simple water based moisuriser (which doesn't make my skin flake)

- My mum has had eczema most of her life

- When I get hot, I feel clammy and usually a breakout results

Many thanks to anyone who has taken their time to read this. I have very little time at the moment to research and make sense of all the facts (and fiction) regarding acne, so I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Best wishes, Lee.

I am not sure what could be making your acne worse. May be your case just isn't diet related?

A few things.

Why are you not eating to mid day? Doing that will cause all sorts of metabolic disruptions that is not good.

Secondly how long are your trialing these foods to determine that they are contributing to your acne? I would argue at least 2 months is required for hormonal stabilization on any food plan, assuming of course your acne is hormonal.

It definitly is dietary because if I were to eat a weeks worth of dairy, eggs and high O-6 nuts my face would be peeling off within a couple of days. Also since adopting this diet (about 3-4 months on and off) although I visibly have acne I can't tell its there, i.e. no burning, itching, soreness etc.

I started not eating until mid-day when I came across a theory stating that our body works in three cycles: digestion, absorption and detoxification - i was interested so i tried it, but not for any acne reasons. Although I'm not so sure these principles are accurate, it seems to give me much more energy in the morning (especially if I have football or basketball training in the morning).

I trial them individually for at least a few days, if i get any adverse reactions I stop them straight away, if I dont I keep them going for 2-3 weeks.

To be honest I think my acne is caused by a probiotic deficiency in my gut for a few reasons. Anti-biotics completely clear me of acne (by killing the bacterial overgrowth) and I never had a major problem with acne until I originally took anti-biotics (killing my probiotics and allowing a bacterial overgrowth). Also high carbohydrates (not necessarily high GI) seem to make the problem worse as does alcohol (which I believe feeds the bacteria).

It definitly is dietary because if I were to eat a weeks worth of dairy, eggs and high O-6 nuts my face would be peeling off within a couple of days. Also since adopting this diet (about 3-4 months on and off) although I visibly have acne I can't tell its there, i.e. no burning, itching, soreness etc.

I started not eating until mid-day when I came across a theory stating that our body works in three cycles: digestion, absorption and detoxification - i was interested so i tried it, but not for any acne reasons. Although I'm not so sure these principles are accurate, it seems to give me much more energy in the morning (especially if I have football or basketball training in the morning).

I trial them individually for at least a few days, if i get any adverse reactions I stop them straight away, if I dont I keep them going for 2-3 weeks.

To be honest I think my acne is caused by a probiotic deficiency in my gut for a few reasons. Anti-biotics completely clear me of acne (by killing the bacterial overgrowth) and I never had a major problem with acne until I originally took anti-biotics (killing my probiotics and allowing a bacterial overgrowth). Also high carbohydrates (not necessarily high GI) seem to make the problem worse as does alcohol (which I believe feeds the bacteria).

I think you are referring to intermittent fasting? There is still a lot of research to be done that to say weather it is a good way to go.

What makes you believe eggs and nuts will break you out. These are two of the most nutrient dense foods you can have. They help stabilize hormones and metabolic rate.

I think you should look at other areas rather than pointing the finger at nutrient dense foods.

Also you say you only try foods for a few days. That is nowhere long enough to draw conclusions on weather it affects you or not.

There simply too many variables going on for you to draw a conclusion.

Yeah intermittent fasting. True their is a lot of research to go, but I feel a lot better using this method as I previously had energy/digestion problems during morning training.

Very true eggs and nuts are two of the most nutrient dense foods, however I have tried eggs 3 times in the past year and a half (each time maintaining the same diet and exercise regime) and each time I had a very specific reaction (large, hard spots only on my forehead). As for nuts although they contain great nutrients, most also contain a poor omega-3 to omega-6 ratio which is almost impossible to offset without even more supplements or daily fish. I appear to be ok with macadamia nuts (1:1 ratio of omegas) but for example one weekend I ate a fair amount of raw almond butter (awful omega ratio) and all i got from that was severe inflammation. I tried it again a month later (this time with almond nuts) and sure enough severe inflammation. These are just two examples I have many more.

I appreciate you feel you need more than a few days to test a food, and I agree IF no major reaction is evident in the first few days, But I am not going to continue to eat a food which causes such an acute adverse reaction, that just isn't smart. Eggs I have recently tested (again) for 3 solid weeks, the result was forehead spots constantly for those three weeks and a week after, now 3 weeks without eggs = no new forehead lumps and the previous ones are all but gone!

So eggs and nuts definitly play a role for me, but please remember no two people's acne cause is identical, it's about finding foods your own body doesn't agree with.

As for other areas, I've looked at sleep, sun exposure, training, stress, topicals (all of which dry my skin out badly or inflame even after extended periods of months)... the only way I have ever managed to 'control' acne and make it livable is through manipulating my diet....I'm open to suggestions outside diet but all the arrows are pointing towards it.

Yeah intermittent fasting. True their is a lot of research to go, but I feel a lot better using this method as I previously had energy/digestion problems during morning training.

Very true eggs and nuts are two of the most nutrient dense foods, however I have tried eggs 3 times in the past year and a half (each time maintaining the same diet and exercise regime) and each time I had a very specific reaction (large, hard spots only on my forehead). As for nuts although they contain great nutrients, most also contain a poor omega-3 to omega-6 ratio which is almost impossible to offset without even more supplements or daily fish. I appear to be ok with macadamia nuts (1:1 ratio of omegas) but for example one weekend I ate a fair amount of raw almond butter (awful omega ratio) and all i got from that was severe inflammation. I tried it again a month later (this time with almond nuts) and sure enough severe inflammation. These are just two examples I have many more.

I appreciate you feel you need more than a few days to test a food, and I agree IF no major reaction is evident in the first few days, But I am not going to continue to eat a food which causes such an acute adverse reaction, that just isn't smart. Eggs I have recently tested (again) for 3 solid weeks, the result was forehead spots constantly for those three weeks and a week after, now 3 weeks without eggs = no new forehead lumps and the previous ones are all but gone!

So eggs and nuts definitly play a role for me, but please remember no two people's acne cause is identical, it's about finding foods your own body doesn't agree with.

As for other areas, I've looked at sleep, sun exposure, training, stress, topicals (all of which dry my skin out badly or inflame even after extended periods of months)... the only way I have ever managed to 'control' acne and make it livable is through manipulating my diet....I'm open to suggestions outside diet but all the arrows are pointing towards it.

Fair enough mate, i wish you all the best.

I cut gluten out 6 weeks ago and saw a dramatic improvement in my acne. Might be worth a shot? Not taking meds anymore and the acne is minimal.

However, like you, i will always maintain what works for one doesn't mean it will work for another.

Edited by TakeToTheSkies