Notifications
Clear all

Flaky Makeup Problem Help!

MemberMember
(@acneproblems7986)

Posted : 09/01/2012 1:56 pm

So I'm a 16 year old girl and I've had acne for the longest time and I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. I never really use foundation very much because I always get these problems... I get that "caked on" look no matter how much I put on, even if its just a dab. Doesn't look natural at all. Doesnt matter if I do powder, liquid, whipped.. whatever. Still get the same thing. I've tried using a couple different things to apply the makeup and still got the same result. My face doesnt ever look flaky before I try putting makeup on, it looks so terrible that I just take it all off again and my face never looks like its peeling before I put the foundation on.. I don't get it. I've tried putting moisturizer on before it but it just doesnt work. So I've read up and I think I need a concealer. Right now i've been trying to use Revlon colorstay whipped makeup and Revlon colorstay aqua mineral makeup. I also use a clean and clear acne moisturizer. So im going to Target and going to pick out and try new makeup. I need advice on what to get or try cause I am awful with makeup and I don't know what to pick. What concealers should I try or what other makeup is good for flaky and acne skin?

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 09/01/2012 3:44 pm

I would recommend Revlon Colorstay - I have flakey skin sometimes and this doesn't stick to the flakes. It's liquid foundation, full coverage.

I would also recommend exfoliating everyday with a gentle exfoliator to help get rid of the flakes. Also moisturize as soon as you get out of the shower or wash your face, and a primer could help as well!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/01/2012 8:13 pm

So I'm a 16 year old girl and I've had acne for the longest time and I'm not sure what Im doing wrong. I never really use foundation very much because I always get these problems... I get that "caked on" look no matter how much I put on, even if its just a dab. Doesn't look natural at all. Doesnt matter if I do powder, liquid, whipped.. whatever. Still get the same thing. I've tried using a couple different things to apply the makeup and still got the same result. My face doesnt ever look flaky before I try putting makeup on, it looks so terrible that I just take it all off again and my face never looks like its peeling before I put the foundation on.. I don't get it. I've tried putting moisturizer on before it but it just doesnt work. So I've read up and I think I need a concealer. Right now i've been trying to use Revlon colorstay whipped makeup and Revlon colorstay aqua mineral makeup. I also use a clean and clear acne moisturizer. So im going to Target and going to pick out and try new makeup. I need advice on what to get or try cause I am awful with makeup and I don't know what to pick. What concealers should I try or what other makeup is good for flaky and acne skin?

1. I find that I have to take a damp washcloth and gently scrub in circles for about 3 minutes to get flakes off. The key is not to scrub hard, but to scrub in very small motions to get all the small flakes.

2. A sulfur clay mask once a week has a keratolytic effect, meaning the sulfur helps dead skin get removed more easily.

3. My makeup looked much better after I got a quality liquid foundation and applied it with a BRUSH. Never could get natural looking makeup with a sponge because my skin texture is too uneven. I use the MAC makeup brush designed for liquid foundation. If you go to a MAC counter they will show you how to apply with a brush (it actually does take a little skill).

MemberMember
(@mm-brian)

Posted : 10/01/2012 4:12 pm

Are you rubbing the foundation in at all? I have this problem but only when I try to blend and rub in my make up. The trick is to either press the make up onto the skin with a damp make up sponge or use something like a stippling brush where again, you dab the brush on top of the skin without dragging the make up at all. Any dragging motions (whether you do it with a brush, sponge, fingers), will lift the flakes and accentuate them.

Oh and it's good to exfoliate but everyday would be too much and would dry out your skin further. You should start by doing it 3 times a week (assuming you don't exfoliate now), and then 2 a week until you're only doing it once a week. Use a good quality moisturiser and a primer before your make up.

MemberMember
(@portofmorrow)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:24 pm

1) You should be using a natural, satin or dewy finish liquid foundation. Matte foundations can be drying. Also, make sure the shade matches your skin perfectly!

2) You have to be very careful when applying foundation. A standard foundation brush or stippling brush would be good tools for application - preferable to a buffing brush or your fingers, which are less delicate and less precise.

3) Try using a moisturizing or hydrating face primer.

And upon reading the thread, I realized I've just repeated advice that's already been given. Oh well!

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/02/2012 1:32 pm

You should always use moisturizer before putting on makeup. It helps dryness a lot if you use a primer after the moisturizer. (I like the one with Resveratrol from 100% Pure, you probably have to order it online, very few stores sell it though I think ULTA carries some of their products now). Concealer is fine but it won't make you any less dry or flakey. I find that using liquid foundation has also helped my dry spots look less flakey.

Here's what I do with the products I'm currently using:

Moisturizer (100% Pure)

Primer (100% Pure)

Liquid Foundation (HD Foundation by Makeup Forever)

Concealer (HD Invisible Cover Concealer by Makeup Forever)

Powder (Multitasking Concealer by Everyday Minerals)

Setting Spray (I like Urban Decay De-Slick for oily skin but if you're still having problems with dryness and you don't need oil control there's lots of others out there)

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:44 pm

I've had these darn flakes as well! Especially once acne is beginning to go through the healing process. Moisturizing and exfoliation would be good idea. Maybe something with glycolic acid. As for foundation, Look for a foundation that doesn't accentuate the flakes. One I found that I really love is Lancome's Photogenic Lumenssence. And around the flakey spots I avoid.

good luck! =)

MemberMember
(@mirabellabeauties)

Posted : 08/05/2013 5:03 am

Flaky makeup provides the best natural makeup for face.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 08/05/2013 9:13 pm

Take a makeup sponge- put in water and dampen it- squeeze out water from sponge- stipple on face (Dont tug!) just stipple. BAM! works great with me because im on accutane and am so dry.

MemberMember
(@scar_tissue)

Posted : 08/06/2013 3:15 pm

A dry make up sponge always gave me flakes so I don't use pressed powder. Try using a foundation brush for liquid foundation and before you put on make up always apply a moisturizer. Jojoba oil works amazing 100% for all over the face or just for those dry spots that flake!