Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KryptoKnight

Derm told me not to moisturize while on Accutane

So i finally am getting accutane very soon, but the doctor told me not to moisturize... should i listen to him or what? I know im going to hafta use chap stick, but does ur face get really dry?

I think that if you're on Accutane long enough you will HAVE to moisturize or your face is going to start peeling off!!!

I would have to agree with you, my derm told me the same. Im 16, 5`1, 150lbs, muscle, not fat. I am on my 5th month of accutane at 40mg, first month, 2nd month 60mg, and the rest 80 mg. I cleared up in the first month, 99%, and my face has yet to get dry or peel. The only time it flakes, is when i use retin a micro to do a peel, once a week, but i exfoliate in the morning, and im fine.

I didn't moisturise most of the time coz it made my face itchy..and it didn't flake.

used lotsa aloe vera gel. i think it depends on what your skin can take.

my derm told me not to moisturize unless I needed it...but I decided it better to moisturize a few minutes after getting out of the shower everyday...I used the cetaphil wash for dry skin and their moisturizer with the SPF...and I found that it reduced redness (I actually had none until I stopped the accutane...at which point i found it was from sebbhoreic dermatitis)...I had the classic combination skin when I started tane...and after a month of being off it all is well now...I still moisturize at least occassionally...mostly b/c I'm still on the cream the doc gave me for the dermatitis...but after a month i'm really not dry anymore...best of luck

Is it possible you misunderstood your Doc? cause your face will look like a bright red catcher's mitt if you don't.

eusa_angel.gif hey

i suddenly thought it could depend on your dosage too.

I was on a low dosage all along (even now), and it was never THAT dry to need any moisturizing.

Anyway, I did apply loads of aloe vera gel daily, so maybe it has a moisturizing effect too.

Well it didn't make me itch.

Or you could try that too.

Although you might not need it immediately, I would suggest moisturizing later on in your treatment. I am month two and my skin is getting dry. Granted, I am still breaking out (not nearly as bad when I began) but without the Cleocin-T lotion, my face would look terrible. I think you might want to seek a second opinion from a doctor regarding this. Accutane does a number of your skin. It clears up your acne but there are other places where your skin as never suffered a breakout and you are subjecting all of your skin to drying effects of this medication.

well i didnt have a chance to talk with the doc a lot, they were busy up the wazoo, he didn't specify y i shouldnt moisturize. but like someone else said, its a 40mg dosage only and i might not need to moisturize, but if it gets bad ill start. another question, u guys still wash ur face with washes? if so wat do you use, i dont think i should use my salycilic acid wash (clean and clear)

I wouldn't use the Clean and Clear SA, that makes my skin dry enough when I wasn't even on the Accutane. Your face will dry out like a prune. Cetaphil is what most derm's recommend.

I just completed week two on accutane, and the first week I started flaking above and below my lips. I only break out around the mouth and chin area, so for me it looks as I only dry up where my acne is. I moisturize twice a day and hours later I can see flakes coming back. Also, I think and hope the first week was my initial breakout, because I’m already seeing less flakes and improvement. I’m guessing it depends on how your body reacts, but I almost should moisturize 3 times a day. I personally wont go out into public without moisturizer.