Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blue6985

No Idea What To Do About My Acne, Detailed Description Inside

I am a male, 18 years old, my hair is only slightly oily, skin usually fine but occasionally dry after washing, I am light skinned but tan easily, I get both white heads and cystic acne on my face and back. I have blackheads all over my nose.

I first started breaking out back in 5th grade. Since then I have never once had completely clear skin. My acne ranges from to almost clear to mildly severe. Most days I have 2-4 white heads and a bunch of red spots on my face. I used to get acne all over my face, but after cutting my hair I rarely get pimples on my forehead. The most common spot for my acne is along my jawline and close to my nose under my eyes.

I am currently using a 2% salicylic acid treatment on my face twice a day, along with moisturizer oil-free lotion. I put a clean towel over my pillow every night before I go to bed. Neither the face cleaner or the towel appear to have made a noticeable difference in my skin but I keep doing it in hopes that it will deter large breakouts. I also think I tried using benzoyl peroxide in the past, with it not being much help (although I can't remember for sure).

I currently am not taking any medications.

My diet varies, for most of high school I didn't drink soda and ate very little dairy. Currently I am drinking much more milk to gain weight and it hasn't affected my skin. I drink several glasses of water a day (my piss is very clear and not yellowish). I take a multivitamin and zinc supplement (50mg) everyday along with fishoil (1000-2000mg). They don't seem to make a difference.

In high school I played lots of sports but lately I have been fairly inactive.

I sleep at least 8 hours a day.

My older sister suffered from acne as well but her acne went away when she started using birth control pills. She still gets the occasional zit but its rare and never severe. My younger brother is in high school and suffers from acne as well. His seems to be worse than mine currently is, I believe he uses the same face wash as I do.

That is everything I can think of that could possibly pertain to my acne problems. If you want any more information just let me know and I will get back to you asap. If anyone has suggestions for me then I would be happy to try them. Thank you for taking the time for reading this and please share any information you have that may be relevant.

I am a male, 18 years old, my hair is only slightly oily, skin usually fine but occasionally dry after washing, I am light skinned but tan easily, I get both white heads and cystic acne on my face and back. I have blackheads all over my nose.

I first started breaking out back in 5th grade. Since then I have never once had completely clear skin. My acne ranges from to almost clear to mildly severe. Most days I have 2-4 white heads and a bunch of red spots on my face. I used to get acne all over my face, but after cutting my hair I rarely get pimples on my forehead. The most common spot for my acne is along my jawline and close to my nose under my eyes.

I am currently using a 2% salicylic acid treatment on my face twice a day, along with moisturizer oil-free lotion. I put a clean towel over my pillow every night before I go to bed. Neither the face cleaner or the towel appear to have made a noticeable difference in my skin but I keep doing it in hopes that it will deter large breakouts. I also think I tried using benzoyl peroxide in the past, with it not being much help (although I can't remember for sure).

I currently am not taking any medications.

My diet varies, for most of high school I didn't drink soda and ate very little dairy. Currently I am drinking much more milk to gain weight and it hasn't affected my skin. I drink several glasses of water a day (my piss is very clear and not yellowish). I take a multivitamin and zinc supplement (50mg) everyday along with fishoil (1000-2000mg). They don't seem to make a difference.

In high school I played lots of sports but lately I have been fairly inactive.

I sleep at least 8 hours a day.

My older sister suffered from acne as well but her acne went away when she started using birth control pills. She still gets the occasional zit but its rare and never severe. My younger brother is in high school and suffers from acne as well. His seems to be worse than mine currently is, I believe he uses the same face wash as I do.

That is everything I can think of that could possibly pertain to my acne problems. If you want any more information just let me know and I will get back to you asap. If anyone has suggestions for me then I would be happy to try them. Thank you for taking the time for reading this and please share any information you have that may be relevant.

You'll find that many people find relief through hormonal treatment like your sister. These are my personal recommendations:

A. Go through hormonal treatment designed for males with acne. Take a high potency natural anti-androgen for 4-6 months. If you're taking a good dosage for your body you should notice a dramatic clearance. Natural anti-androgens include saw palmetto or stinging nettle. Just like birth control, it is something you will need to to continue taking for probably the rest of your life. But to me taking a pill everyday is so worth the clear skin. (I am on spironolactone, a synthetic anti-androgen).

B. If that doesn't appeal to you, take a good look at this post: http://www.acne.org/...g-the-gut-diet/ There is quit a bit of science to support this guy's method.

Edited by Green Gables

What side effects can I expect from anti-androgens? Also I had always heard that diet has not been scientifically proven to affect acne, was that false?