Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TelephoneKiosk

Scar Treatments

My dermatologist suggested I start chemical-peel treatments for my scarring after I finish Accutane, but I'm not entirely sure I want to do that. So I want to know, from your guys' experiences, what the best way to treat scarring is. Are there any over-the-counter drugs that I could take to help fade my acne scars, or should I just wait for them to go away/fade naturally? I do plan on asking my dermatologist when I next see her, but I thought I'd do some research on my own prior to that. Also, I know there is a sticky for this, but again, I'd like to know from personal experiences.

Edited by TelephoneKiosk

Are you talking about scars or hyperpigmentation? Peels won't affect real scars.

Edited by TokyoGirl

Hyperpigmentation is discoloration from acne that will fade in time and is usually pink, red, or purplish spots. Acne scars are generally craters/indentations of some sort in the skin. Rolling scars would be a wavey indentatation that usually when stretched will appear even with the skin. They don't generally have defined walls but can be pretty wide. Boxscars are indentations with defined walls and don't disappear when attempting to stretch. Icepicks are generally the deepest pits but not usually as wide as the other types of scarring.

..and as dudley said, if you have scars, they won't just fade away and there is no over-the-counter cure. There are many different treatments available that may help depending on type of scarring and severity.

Are you talking about scars or hyperpigmentation? Peels won't affect real scars.

They can improve the appearance if they're shallow

Normally, when a dermatologist is suggesting chemical peel treatments, he/she is not referring to a deep peel, like a phenol peel. Sure, you might notice temporary improvement to shallow scars, but I don't believe they last. Having spent $1000s on peels and researched the long-term benefits to real scarring, I don't believe it works for acne scars.

Have you done a series of chemical peels and noticed long-term improvement to scars after a year of no further treatment? Based on my experience, I've found that any improvement fades after 6-12 months, as your skin thickens and returns to normal.

To the OP, Peels can help fade hyperpigmentation faster for some people. It depends on the type of peel and your skin type whether it will work. For me, after a few TCA peels, it aggravated my hyperpigmentation, but I have Asian skin and it made my skin very sensitive. In most cases, hyperpigmentation fades with time. Again, depending on your skin type, it can take a couple months to a year or more. If you want to speed the process without peels, use a good daily exfoliant & always wear sunblock. You can also try adding some kind of bleaching topical to your regimen to inhibit the production of melanin.