Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bassbaritone

Checking On New Treatments

Hi All,

If you are wondering why an old man like me is on this board it's because of my young daughters. While they are still in grade school it won't be long until the reach adolesence and may have to deal with acne. I had acne vulgaris with large cysts when I was in high school. I only hope and pray that they don't inherit that from me. However, if they do I want to be prepared.

Regards,

Bassbaritone

Hi bassbaritone (I guess you're a singer?)! Welcome to Acne.org! Awesome that you're looking into ways to try and prevent your kids from having to go through the same thing you did! I'm sure you'll find a ton of information here (can be a bit overwhelming). Besides the regular treatments, make sure to have a look at the nutrition and holistic health forum. Good luck!

Hi All,

If you are wondering why an old man like me is on this board it's because of my young daughters. While they are still in grade school it won't be long until the reach adolesence and may have to deal with acne. I had acne vulgaris with large cysts when I was in high school. I only hope and pray that they don't inherit that from me. However, if they do I want to be prepared.

Regards,

Bassbaritone

If they develop acne please look into high-estrogen birth control or spironolactone. I am female in my mid-twenties and had severe acne until earlier this year when I went on spironolactone. My parents were so against birth control (even though I was not sexually active) that I never seriously tried hormonal treatment. I had a pizza face for most of my formative years and it really killed my self-esteem. Sometimes hormonal treatment it is the ONLY thing that will clear hormonal acne in a female. Spironolactone is an anti-androgen. Birth control will work as long as it is a HIGH-ESTROGEN pill (low estrogen pills or mini pills will do nothing for acne, can even worsen it).

And this is my opinion, but stay away from Accutane. You will see many people on here on their third or fourth course of Accutane. Accutane does not fix hormonal acne and can have disastrous side effects.

Edited by Green Gables

Hi AKL,

Yes you are correct. I am now a retired Opera Singer. I am worried about my children because they are just so beautiful and they have inherited the musical ability; however, they are girls. I know how stigmatizing bad acne can be and how it always has a hold on your self esteem no matter what people say. I also believe it much more difficult for girls versus boys. Boys can be considering, rough and tough looking which isn't necessarily a bad thing especially if they are like me with a very deep, metallic and commanding voice. I have always played dark characters or authority figures because of my voice e.g. Mephistopheles, a Priest and a God. They never gave me the young price charming roles (LOL - there is a reason for that not just because of my looks). However, there have always been people that comment even at my age about my complexion. Thankfully, I have been able to accomplish so many things in my life that I don't give anyone a second glance. In my view, it is they that are so shallow and insecure about themselves that they need to comment on something that is so uniquely human in order to make themselves feel better.

Hi Green Gables,

Thank you for the insight. I will look into the hormonal aspect of acne. I was put on Accutane when it first came out in 1980 and I wish I never used that drug. The side effects were awful to say the least. My skin never returned to normal after 2 years of Accutane and Teracycline treatments. Now, 30 years later, my skin remained forever damaged from the effects of accutane and tetracycline.

Hi AKL,

Yes you are correct. I am now a retired Opera Singer. I am worried about my children because they are just so beautiful and they have inherited the musical ability; however, they are girls. I know how stigmatizing bad acne can be and how it always has a hold on your self esteem no matter what people say. I also believe it much more difficult for girls versus boys. Boys can be considering, rough and tough looking which isn't necessarily a bad thing especially if they are like me with a very deep, metallic and commanding voice. I have always played dark characters or authority figures because of my voice e.g. Mephistopheles, a Priest and a God. They never gave me the young price charming roles (LOL - there is a reason for that not just because of my looks). However, there have always been people that comment even at my age about my complexion. Thankfully, I have been able to accomplish so many things in my life that I don't give anyone a second glance. In my view, it is they that are so shallow and insecure about themselves that they need to comment on something that is so uniquely human in order to make themselves feel better.

Hi bassbaritone! Nice to meet another musician here! Though I'm a drummer, not a singer (my attempts are no better than those of a hoarse crow). You are so right about people making comments, just to show their own shallowness and hide their insecurities, I wish more people would see it. It's great that you haven't allowed them to stop you from pursuing your dreams! I hope you'll find what you're looking for here, there are many options to try and get acne under control (or even prevent it). I'm sure your daughters would agree that you're an awesome dad! Good luck!