Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Day 1:

I feel the onset of a cyst

Day 2:

So I got this hard red cyst on my cheek that wouldn't pop. I know I shouldn't pick or squeeze but it hurt so bad.

So of course I made things worse. It was huge and gross.

Day 3:

I tried to get an emergency derm. appointment but the waiting list was almost two months! (I have never been to a derm before). The receptionist recommended that I see my primary care physician. So I did.

She gave me a topical antibiotic called "Bactroban". I've been reading all these posts and I've never heard anyone say they've used this stuff before.

I put it on that day and re applied before bed

Day 4:

Well the Bactroban made the area yellow and it was still huge and puffy. All the skin around the middle was yellow and I could tell there was still oil underneath. But I kept with the Bactroban for the rest of day and it was still looking worse with every passing hour. I thought going to the doctor was going to help not hurt!

Finally, before I went to bed I had to pick the yellow skin off. This huge amount of oil came rushing out. I felt better but now the area of my skin affected had quadrupeled!

Day 5:

I didn't go to work. The area of skin now affected is larger than the size of a quarter. That's not an exaggeration. I've been avoiding my new boyfriend like the plague. I've been avoiding everyone actually. Seeing someone with a pimple on my face would be no big deal but this looks like [email protected]#%ing ringworm or something.

So now I've abandoned the Bactroban. It does nothing but make the outer layer of my skin hard and yellow.

I've tried SA and BP. I used Neosporin all day. I even tried using scolding hot water.

I went to bed with nothing on it, hoping the air would dry it out some.

It was this huge red circle with a smaller circle in the middle of yellow-whitish skin. In the center is the red part which will probably be an ice pick scar

Day 6:

I didn't go to work again today. I hope I don't lose my job.

I thought the oil would finish draining out overnight. It did some but the skin around the original cyst is yellow again. Possibly an infection. I used neosporin on the outer edge and put a dot of BP in the middle. I also tried using straight aloe vera from the plant.

I've put so many different things on my face that it has just made it worse. I've tried picking away the dead skin so the new skin can grow and again it's made it worse. I am now up at 4:00am and cant get out of the mirror. I guess that technically puts me at Day 7. Oh my god what have I done. The blemish has taken over my cheek. It is now the size of a half dollar.

I have to go to work tomarrow but I will avoid friends/family/new beau until this goes away. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it. i haven't left my apartment in two days. This is sick.

Does anyone have any advice? Or could you share a similar story? Oh and don't bother to tell me to leave it alone. I already know that's what I should do but I think I might have to go to face picker's anon.

Day 1: 

I feel the onset of a cyst

Day 2: 

So I got this hard red cyst on my cheek that wouldn't pop.  I know I      shouldn't pick or squeeze but it hurt so bad.

So of course I made things worse.  It was huge and gross.

Day 3:

I tried to get an emergency derm. appointment but the waiting list was almost two months!  (I have never been to a derm before).  The receptionist recommended that I see my primary care physician.  So I did.

She gave me a topical antibiotic called "Bactroban".  I've been reading all these posts and I've never heard anyone say they've used this stuff before.

I put it on that day and re applied before bed

Day 4:

Well the Bactroban made the area yellow and it was still huge and puffy.  All the skin around the middle was yellow and I could tell there was still oil underneath.  But I kept with the Bactroban for the rest of day and it was still looking worse with every passing hour. I thought going to the doctor was going to help not hurt!

Finally, before I went to bed I had to pick the yellow skin off.  This huge amount of oil came rushing out.  I felt better but now the area of my skin affected had quadrupeled!

Day 5:

I didn't go to work.  The area of skin now affected is larger than the size of a quarter.  That's not an exaggeration.  I've been avoiding my new boyfriend like the plague.  I've been avoiding everyone actually.  Seeing someone with a pimple on my face would be no big deal but this looks like [email protected]#%ing ringworm or something. 

So now I've abandoned the Bactroban.  It does nothing but make the outer layer of my skin hard and yellow.

I've tried SA and BP.  I used Neosporin all day.  I even tried using scolding hot water. 

I went to bed with nothing on it, hoping the air would dry it out some.

It was this huge red circle with a smaller circle in the middle of yellow-whitish skin.  In the center is the red part which will probably be an ice pick scar

Day 6:

I didn't go to work again today.  I hope I don't lose my job. 

I thought the oil would finish draining out overnight.  It did some but the skin around the original cyst is yellow again.  Possibly an infection.  I used neosporin on the outer edge and put a dot of BP in the middle.  I also tried using straight aloe vera from the plant.

I've put so many different things on my face that it has just made it worse.  I've tried picking away the dead skin so the new skin can grow and again it's made it worse.  I am now up at 4:00am and cant get out of the mirror.  I guess that technically puts me at Day 7.  Oh my god what have I done.  The blemish has taken over my cheek.  It is now the size of a half dollar.

I have to go to work tomarrow but I will avoid friends/family/new beau until this goes away.  I'm not sure how I'm going to do it.  i haven't left my apartment in two days.  This is sick.

Does anyone have any advice?  Or could you share a similar story?  Oh and don't bother to tell me to leave it alone.  I already know that's what I should do but I think I might have to go to face picker's anon.

PART 2

Day 7:

I woke up at 7:00am  (yup, three hours sleep).  The thing is still half dollar size and it was like wet with puss.  The entire thing is yellow with the outer rim being reddish brown.

I put the damn Bactroban on it with a band aid over it.

Can I go to work with a band aid on?  What can I say?  Should I just say that I have an infected cyst?  That sounds so gross?  This is the most embarrassing day of my life.  I know that sounds vane but so what.  I hate my life.  I was hoping that I didn't wake up today.

One whole week this thing has taken from my life!  And it looks like it will be another week before I get my life somewhat back to normal.

Can anyone tell me there worst pimple or cyst story.  Misery loves company!  It would make me feel so much better.

Thanks,

Hopeless2

Day 7 (Still)

It is now 9:30am on Saturday.  I am going to the doctor again.  This time different doc - a saturday sub if you will.

I broke down and called my mom and told her everything, how i've been hiding out in my apartment for days (I don't know what I would do if I had roommates, thank god for that - well actually maybe I wouln't have spent so much time picking if there were other people around...hmmm......), I even read the DaVinci Code in its entirity in one night!, I told her how it looks. 

I don't have any other zits, pimples or acne other than this thing.  I don't even have scars.  Well I have some very faint pinkish spots from other cysts that I have gotten in the past but they are only noticible to me and are easily covered with make up and usually go away completely within 6 months.

Anyways, I think I might hide out at my mom's for a few days.  I'm guessing the doc is going to give me an oral antibiotic.  Has anyone had any luck with that?

For now, I will go to work today but I think I'm going to take next week off.  I'll really have to come up with a beauty of an excuse.  How about, my mom has the flu and i need to take care of her?  Sounds better than, I had a pimple at the beginning of the week that I squeezed and squished, and pushed, and picked, and peeled and now it's a yellow and red and brown monster almost the size of the palm of my hand on my cheek and now I'm just too embarrassed to face any of my clients.

aaaaaaah!

Someone, please respond.  I don't know.  I feel very alone.  I'm glad my mom is with me but I just need a little advice or something.

Guest Tracy

I think you should make an appt with a derm and tell them you have an infected cyst on your cheek. Don't mess with it anymore....maybe put some neosporin on it until you can get in to see the derm but that's all. Otherwise, you might get a scar there. Good luck.

I think you should make an appt with a derm and tell them you have an infected cyst on your cheek.  Don't mess with it anymore....maybe put some neosporin on it until you can get in to see the derm but that's all.  Otherwise, you might get a scar there.  Good luck.

Personally I would have used tea tree on it, tea tree brings puss to the surface of the skin and dissolves it, it's antiseptic and antifungal and so will kill bacteria, as it's got so bad with you though maybe you should leave it and just take the pills. I wouldn't use any makeup because you could re-infect the spot and make it worse. Once it's healed though, if it leaves some redness use some neat lavender on the area and that should heal it up pretty quickly.

Yea... I had a deep infected cyst on my left cheek for months. I mean the skin tone wasn't different really from the rest of my skin, but it was raised and you could see that there where three blocked pores with some kinda fluid underneath. My dermatologist gave me antibiotics to clear it up, but after months it was still there... when u pull the skin tight u can see the whole area just get pale. SO... I pulled it really tight one time and the weirdest stuff came out. The cyst totally drained... a Huge amount of a thick white material, but not hard. I mean the thing wasn't even that big, but the amount that drained was shocking. Worst thing was that the stuff had like fibres in it. I don't know if that's cuz the skin was healing or scarring or wat... building new skin in the cyst... but that freaked me out. At least now its totally drained and I didn't techically pick it or squeeze it... I just tugged at it a little. I didn't really want to be so graphic with the post but I really havn't seen alot of stories about the deep, raised cysts so far. Anyways... just throwing my two cents in.

Yea... I had a deep infected cyst on my left cheek for months. I mean the skin tone wasn't different really from the rest of my skin, but it was raised and you could see that there where three blocked pores with some kinda fluid underneath. My dermatologist gave me antibiotics to clear it up, but after months it was still there... when u pull the skin tight u can see the whole area just get pale. SO... I pulled it really tight one time and the weirdest stuff came out. The cyst totally drained... a Huge amount of a thick white material, but not hard. I mean the thing wasn't even that big, but the amount that drained was shocking. Worst thing was that the stuff had like fibres in it. I don't know if that's cuz the skin was healing or scarring or wat... building new skin in the cyst... but that freaked me out. At least now its totally drained and I didn't techically pick it or squeeze it... I just tugged at it a little. I didn't really want to be so graphic with the post but I really havn't seen alot of stories about the deep, raised cysts so far. Anyways... just throwing my two cents in.

I think it's good that you used Neosporin on it.

I have an area on my cheek that has been infected for more than a year now. It's gotten better before, but it always flares up really bad at times. Right now it's starting to heal again after flaring up while I've been on mino last month.

Hang in there. I know they look awful.

I've had the same thing. Last year I got a giant pimple on my right cheek. It never had a head. It grew bigger and bigger for about 4 days, until it hurt when I smiled. I couldn't take it anymore. I squeezed and squeezed, but nothing came out. So finally, I got out a straight pin and punctured down into the pimple, about 2 millimeters.

I finally let out the biggest squeeze I could muster, and the thing literally exploded all over the mirror. It POURED an orange liquid down my cheek (blood and pus mixed). I squeezed over and over again, and it just kept coming out. Finally, I washed my face off and went to bed. When I woke up, I had a bruise the size of a half-dollar on my face. It hurt like hell, and all my friends thought I'd been in a fight. I told them I "fell" and bruised my face. It was so disgusting.

I've been in your shoes. My advice is just to give it time, wear a band-aid, and if anyone asks what happened, tell them you burned yourself with a curling iron or something.... wink.gif

- Drew

I've had impetigo before, at the base of my nose around my nostrils. A red rash, that circled down and touched my moustache area. Doc gave me mupirocin ointment (generic bactroban) and that cleared it up after a couple of days.

Whenever I get an inflamed zit/cyst that comes to a head, I try to drain as much of it as I can. Then, I take a piece of paper towel, dip it in vinegar (diluted 50/50 with water, tried it with full strength once but that wasn't pretty) and leave it on the open wound. Let it dry, then dab some more vinegar solution on it. Do this a couple of times then remove the bit of paper. You'll see the skin underneath where the paper was turn white. Usually the next day it has either flattend, or there is only a bit of inflamation left because the rest of the fluid that did not drain the night before has been brought to the surface.

good luck with it all hopeless. its good that you feel you can share your feeling with someone. I envy you that.

I think im where you were a week ago. Had a cyst (i think) that didnt have a head, if I pulled the skin it looked like a yellow puss ball was underneath. anyway I did eveything right, or I thought. steamed my face for a bit, then put a pin in the cyst and squeezed. nothin. squeezed harder, then harder and nothin. couldnt get this shit out, but it did move / spread. so ive skrewed myself over and am not looking forward to lookin in the mirror tomorrow, not that i ever do.

Maybe this will cheer you up..

I got this HUGE cyst right on the end of my nose once. It was possibly the biggest thing ever, and i've had some bad cyst problems in the past. So I try to puncture it with a needle.. BAD IDEA. Nothing even comes out and it just gets redder. But I have to go in to college. And people are asking me if i've been in a fight, if i've walked into a door, etc.

Then the worst thing ever happened. I had to hand in my work to a male teacher while a class was being held. So I knocked on the door and went in and starting trying to offload my work onto him and he looks up at me and sees my huge red cyst right on the end of my nose and says 'Hey, what happened, you look like Rudolph the rednose reindeer!'. Everyone in the class laughs hard and I go bright red over my whole face with embarassment. I nearly die on the floor right there.

The End.

I had a HUGE fucking cyst under my right eye like a month and a half ago ago. I mean this thing was fucking HUGE, it started forming and took like a week before it was at its peak. It hurt soo much and one day i popped it with a pin and drained out a bunch of fluid but that didnt kill it completely. I started putting tea tree oil on it then eventually it went down. It left a huge red mark of course, and just when i thought the mark was healing THE CYST CAME BACK!!! I manged to pop it and dry it out with tea tree oil before it got too huge, but the mark is still there.... i wish it wasnt though. In the days when I had the cyst i was hiding out in my room and skipping work too, god it was hell

I had it too. But, I didn't let it bother me. I just let it heal by it self. I guess I cover it with my hair but, luckly it clear up.

I had it too. But, I didn't let it bother me. I just let it heal by it self. I guess I cover it with my hair but, luckly it clear up.

I really feel for infected cyst suffers.I get them on chin and cheeks.The two most embarrassing were my boss who said "I think that thing just winked at me", and the three year old at my restaurant, who looked at the underside of my chin "What is that big thing on your face?...Does it hurt?" I can forgive the kid, but my old boss is another ballgame.I do own a mirror and even if I didn't, Squid, it hurts like an SOB I could hardly miss it. I have been battling a cyst for 4 months with the advice I got from Blue about Nucelle, things are getting much better. eusa_clap.gif

Day 10 (Tuesday)

Over a week now. Things look better but still not great.

A red oozing circle on my cheek. Well not oozing too much. The size of a nickel now.

It looks like it wont scar. Thank god. Still holed up and not going to work. doubt.gif

the bactroban has caused a small pimple near my cyst. a small but stubborn pimple. eusa_wall.gif

wow, I have totally ben there! Only I got a horrible outbreak of cysts all over my cheeks about 1 month before entering my first year of college. It was the most embarrasing, distastrous time of my life. I tried picking the cysts, because I thought, well I pick all my othere pimples, and they go away withing a week so these should too. DISASTER!!!! They did not go away, they all got worse, and the skin was all peeling off, and infected, and disgusting.

I remember not being able to sleep because I was so anxious about having to face people the next day. After about enduring a week of them, still geting bigger, and not healing, I went and got a derm appt, and she put me on minocin, which has worked WONDERS!!!!! I"ve been on it for 2 months now, and I have only gotten like 4-5 random small zits since, and they all go away really fast with the help of an sa astringent, and cetaphil lotion(so I don't dry out). Thank goodness!!!! But I still have like 3 rolling scars (really small, but still indented) from where I picked those damn cysts, but they have faded a lot by just taking vitamin c and being really careful and healthy with my skin.

Hopefully by the time I go home for christmas, my skin will be perfect, I just hope these scars aren't noticable by then!!!

But with regards to having a "cyst experience"- I have had one, and it was very similar to yours, and I got through it, but it takes so much time to recover from something like that, physically and emotionally, I still sometimes have trouble looking people in the eye, because I think they are looking at my scars, which are probably oblivious to them, but are like SO HUGE to me. I'm just so so so so glad my skin isn't peeiling and scabbing and oozing anymore. I mean if you think about it, there's something about the healing process that is just so disgusting to have to look at in the mirror everyday. Hope you feel better, and believe me YOU WILL RECOVER EVENTUALLY

Ohh the gore..Yeah i was waiting to post this because its so sad and funny at the same time.Believe it or not i bleed more from my face in a month than all the cuts etc of 2-3 years tongue.gif.I will only tell you about my top 3 cysts so far tongue.gif The one was really raised but skin color..so i proceeded to pop it (squeezing).Well it popped 4 times! Wish pus covering half my finger everytime,after that it took about 20mins to stop the bleeding which if i left unattended for 3mins would cover all the way from my temple to my jawline.This was not long ago (max 10 days) tongue.gif,this cyst came back but only about 50% of the original size 2 days ago,popped it yesterday.Only some fading redness remains and a really small scab.tongue.gif (im a fast healer).The other one is on my jawline right where my jaw connects with the rest of the head (almost under the ear).This one got that nice 5x popping effect and the huge bleeding..it went away in 5-6 days.

If you going to pop a pimple then do it right. Lightly apply pressure to it with a clean hot cloth and gentley squeeze until you see a clear type liquid. Dab the spot with some alchol (Yes it will burn) the apply Neosporian (or something like it) and don't touch it!

Guest *Clara

Put some rubbing alcohol on the cyst. I don't reccomend it all over your face though. It'll completely kill the bacteria in the area. Also put a natural exfoliant on and then wash it off. so that your products work better.

Day 13 - in case anyone else is going through this or does in the future I'm keeping this string going to know what to expect.

My impetigo has been treated with oral antibiotics for now now 7 days. It is supposed to be 100% clear by now but it's not.

It's looking better, now the size of a dime but it's still weeping out this yellowish fluid. that crusts and I have to wash it away.

Also, I can't put make up on it so it still sucks.

The thing that really sucks is that it's not really scabbing or anything. It's like this rough surface with all these little white fiber things in it. Are those my pores? I don't think it will scar or anything - that's what the doc says - but it is deep enough I think to show my pores. I think those are pores.

Does anyone know how long skin takes to heal? A couple of days? A week?

I'm using neosporin on the outer edges of it but not in the center where the fluid is coming out. I was using bactroban on it - really slathering it on- but I think that has stopped it from healing up. What do you think?

I wish this was over! cry.gif