Notifications
Clear all

Make A Live Chat

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/26/2012 5:34 am

so people could talk to each other live about acne related stuff.

many sites have this feature.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/26/2012 8:59 am

agreed!

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 08/26/2012 9:20 am

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/248317-took-the-chat-down/

and

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/311460-chat-room/

I've setup a chatroom on Stickam about 6 months ago, only 3 or 4 people joined, so apparently, the need for a chat isn't that high.

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/26/2012 12:10 pm

give it another try?

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 08/26/2012 12:22 pm

I'm all for a chat room too! Even if 5 or 10 people join it, that's 5 or 10 people who want it.

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 08/26/2012 12:55 pm

i had this idea a long time ago and recently i even contacted murph89 about it a through pm.

Theres so many ways on the net to do this the one i thought about was tinychat as you can create private rooms (password protected )and also share audio/webcams if you want to .

People would use this if any one wants to do this let me know i can set one up or use akl's.

Jay

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 08/26/2012 1:49 pm

give it another try?

Not a chance. Dan doesn't want it back, end of story. But you can create an account at Stickam, send me your username, and I'll invite you (it's a private chat room, only open to invitees). You'll be chatting in 10 minutes.

MemberMember
(@vampireninja09)

Posted : 08/26/2012 1:53 pm

The chat got taken down in 2009 because people couldn't keep it on task even in the acne related side bar.

Dan most likely will not bring it back.

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 08/27/2012 7:50 am

Perhaps a shoutbox for members only would be more suitable?

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 08/27/2012 9:49 am

I do think it would be nice to have something. I know there are plenty of people who have made good friends here and it would be fun to chat all together.

I wasn't part of the chat when it was around last time and I don't really know what happened there, but I know I would have used it properly and within the rules so I would have felt aggrieved to lose that due to the misuse of others. With that in mind as well, I'm sure there are members who would appreciate the use of something. :)

MemberMember
(@vampireninja09)

Posted : 08/27/2012 12:10 pm

I was in the chat all the time. I saw what was written. I didn't talk a lot on the general part of it, but I still saw what was going on. We even got warned... I think by C'est La Vigne about cleaning up what we talked about (or the chat would get taken down) since younger kids/other people visited the site who wanted to talk about acne. But still the dirty talk commensed. People tested the boundaries of the mods and some would get banned for it.

So then Dan got presented all of what what said, and tbh, I understand why he did take it down.

I have a feeling that if the chat got put back...the same thing would happen. It's unavoidable. Once you feel like you're comfortable with people, certain topics aren't out of bounds anymore. Plus, there can't consistently be someone moderating it (well there could be). But, who wants to sit in a chat all of the time patrolling it?

Back in 2009, it was heart breaking, and I wondered how my day would go on without it because it became such a routine to me. But, after time passed, I came to the realization that the site was better without it. It was doing more harm than good.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 08/27/2012 4:07 pm

I agree, Vampireninja. It's how things work, and considering the fact that we have certain board rules in place, there's no way I see chat coming back. It'll probably be alright for a while, with everybody behaving, just for things to get out of hand again. And indeed, I for one am definitely not eager to start moderating a chat. Plus, looking at the responses (or lack thereof) with regards to the existing Stickam chat, people really aren't waiting for it either, even though they say they are. You remember that Chatzy thing? Was fun for a month or 2, then it died down as well.