Notifications
Clear all

Prednisone

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/24/2012 11:54 am

just got prescribed prednisone for my acne....

anybody use this? do i finally have something that will help?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/24/2012 12:05 pm

it's a steroid, i believe it suppresses your immune system and inflammation. Your acne will come back after you finish your course - not sure why your doc would prescribe this if you're going on accutane. They usually give it to people on tane of the ib is really bad so.......

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/24/2012 12:10 pm

i guess because i still have 17 more days til i go on accutane and my face is a frickin nightmare =( so something that will help it in the meantime. cuz nothing else is helping at all.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/24/2012 12:15 pm

Ok...well good luck and please take care of yourself - physically and emotionally. I am going through a similar struggle and accutane is not open to me anymore. Trying to get through my day the best i can, realizing acne is not me.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me, ok

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/24/2012 12:20 pm

thanks so much. it's very hard. i'm on an antidepressant because of this. it's really knocked my self esteem out the window. being 26 and walking around looking like this.. it's horrible.

why can't you take accutane?

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/24/2012 12:31 pm

hi, i have used before, and it works pretty amazing..it is a steroid...really takes the inflammation away..but heres the problem..if you use for a long time you are very open to a worse breakout after you come off it..your dr. needs to ween you off it at a slow rate if you will be using it for a long period of time..many people have struggles with it..i really advise you google it and read up on it..i only had after i had taken it and was quite shocked that my dr. hadnt told me abt the side effects..after you come off of it you really have chance of flare up..it works like a miracle while you are on it tho..so its really up to you..if its for a short period of time..a few days, i wld do it..but if its more than 2 weeks..i beg of you to read up on it...the first time i was on it, i cleared up beautifully..i took it for 2 weeks..after i stopped, i broke out miserably and face had red burning..thats when i googled it and saw all the side effects..so next time i was prescribed i only took it for 4 days and it worked great...its a serious drug..after awhile it takes away the ability for your own body to deal with inflamation..therfore flare ups afterwards..

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/24/2012 12:54 pm

oh boy. that sounds scary. well i am only on it until i start accutane. (sept 10th) my bottle says take 3 pills every day for 7 days, then 2 pills daily for 7 days, then 1 pill daily for 7... so by then i'll be on accutane and i can ask him whether to finish the prednisone or not. i'm just desperate at this point.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/24/2012 1:12 pm

yes i totalllly understand the desperation..thats why i took it! my derm wouldnt give me cortisone shots anymore bc i was starting accutane and she was scared i would scar..i had gotten 4 or 5 cortisone shots in same area and said she didnt want jeopardize the integrity of my skin..im on my 14th day of accutane..had 2 crying fits so far,lol, but i'm sooo glad i'm doing it..it sounds like you are ready to do it too...best of luck!!

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/24/2012 1:27 pm

oh wow! i asked for cortisone shots but my derm didn't want to because of scarring either. i'm ready to start accutane now. i'm sick of this waiting bullshit! i feel like my face is deteriorating as the days go by! let me know how your course goes =) do you see any improvement yet?

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/24/2012 1:48 pm

doesnt the waiting stinkkk?? its like give me the dam pill..i promise i wont get pregnant!! lol..the waiting just sucked!! its hard to say about improvement bc i just get cysts 1 or 2 at time and then i will be clear for awhile..but past few months they just kept coming after one wld go...so i finally agreed to take accutane..was so sick of running to the derms office for shots, it was so tiring, draining, and the anxiety of it all just wore me down..couple of days ago i got 5 spots in places i never break out, and jeez i broke down, questioning why i went on this drug..even tho i wld never quit it unless of course it messes with my health..i just never had so many arise like that..but meanwhile 2 days later, they all are almost gone..or manageable..i love this site bc you get so much support here, and since i have 133 days more to go (but who's counting..hahaha) i know i definitely need it..i have a log but im so computer illiterate i dont know how to link it on my replies lol...its named Finally! my accutane journey if you want to take a look..if you havent already..go to accutane logs..and take a look..there are sooo many great people keeping logs, they are all so helpful and you can see what everyone is going through..it really has helped me thru it all..including the wait!! also you can see what people like for the different side effects!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/24/2012 2:36 pm

I agree with shadylee.....flare ups are common if you're on it for more than a few days. I know it may be hard but it may be best to just let it be. I have been on 2 full courses and 1 incomplete course of accutane. I have blood sugar issues so my GP wanted me to try something else. In my case, i believe accutane will never stop my acne long term and may have in fact contributed to glucose issues so thats why i am not on it. Good Luck to you two ladies though. It's a hell of a journey but so worth it at the end. Once your courses are finished, i recommend you get on a maintenance retinoid to keep your pores clear as many people end up doing repeat courses over the year and thats no good for your body.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/24/2012 4:35 pm

doesnt the waiting stinkkk?? its like give me the dam pill..i promise i wont get pregnant!! lol..the waiting just sucked!! its hard to say about improvement bc i just get cysts 1 or 2 at time and then i will be clear for awhile..but past few months they just kept coming after one wld go...so i finally agreed to take accutane..was so sick of running to the derms office for shots, it was so tiring, draining, and the anxiety of it all just wore me down..couple of days ago i got 5 spots in places i never break out, and jeez i broke down, questioning why i went on this drug..even tho i wld never quit it unless of course it messes with my health..i just never had so many arise like that..but meanwhile 2 days later, they all are almost gone..or manageable..i love this site bc you get so much support here, and since i have 133 days more to go (but who's counting..hahaha) i know i definitely need it..i have a log but im so computer illiterate i dont know how to link it on my replies lol...its named Finally! my accutane journey if you want to take a look..if you havent already..go to accutane logs..and take a look..there are sooo many great people keeping logs, they are all so helpful and you can see what everyone is going through..it really has helped me thru it all..including the wait!! also you can see what people like for the different side effects!

i know i feel like i could already be a month into this if i didn't have to wait so long. i've been on birth control since i was 15... i'm pretty sure i can handle it!

you're lucky you only have a few pimples at a time. i know how that feels to go from having so little to a handful. i used to obsess if i got one or 2. like literally scream and cry like a little cry baby. and now, i'd give anything to have my skin look like it used to. i was just looking at old pics and my skin was so perfect. i don't know what the hell happened. well i do. i blame it on BP.

i will look around for your blog! i always read the accutane blogs and have read a lot of the logs & looked at before and after pics. i actually saved 2 people's before and after pics to my desktop to look at for encouragement. because their acne is similar to mine, and now their skin is flawless. maybe that's stalkerish butttt it helps me haha. yea i'm obsessed with this site. i spend way too many hours a day on here =/ but it definitely helps me. i don't know what i'd do without it. i can only talk my boyfriend's ear off so much about this. and he can only give me so many encouraging words. he doesn't have acne so he can't really relate to what i'm going through. though he is very very supportive and never gets annoyed with me =)

I agree with shadylee.....flare ups are common if you're on it for more than a few days. I know it may be hard but it may be best to just let it be. I have been on 2 full courses and 1 incomplete course of accutane. I have blood sugar issues so my GP wanted me to try something else. In my case, i believe accutane will never stop my acne long term and may have in fact contributed to glucose issues so thats why i am not on it. Good Luck to you two ladies though. It's a hell of a journey but so worth it at the end. Once your courses are finished, i recommend you get on a maintenance retinoid to keep your pores clear as many people end up doing repeat courses over the year and thats no good for your body.

oh jeez. i'm sorry =( i'm really afraid of the side effects but i'm trying to stay positive. i actually asked my derm about going on a retinoid after accutane to keep it clear and his response was "you will have normal people skin after accutane and won't get clogged pores so you won't need to" but i said i've read many stories of it coming back and he said if it does then we can give you some creams. but i know i will demand something as soon as i'm done because i never ever want to look like this again!

when you said "let it be" do you mean don't take the prednisone? or if i have a flare up when i stop?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/24/2012 4:45 pm

I can't tell you what to do but i would recommend not making an uncomfortable situation worse just for the short term. Just my opinion.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 08/24/2012 5:05 pm

i know i feel like i could already be a month into this if i didn't have to wait so long. i've been on birth control since i was 15... i'm pretty sure i can handle it!

you're lucky you only have a few pimples at a time. i know how that feels to go from having so little to a handful. i used to obsess if i got one or 2. like literally scream and cry like a little cry baby. and now, i'd give anything to have my skin look like it used to. i was just looking at old pics and my skin was so perfect. i don't know what the hell happened. well i do. i blame it on BP.

i will look around for your blog! i always read the accutane blogs and have read a lot of the logs & looked at before and after pics. i actually saved 2 people's before and after pics to my desktop to look at for encouragement. because their acne is similar to mine, and now their skin is flawless. maybe that's stalkerish butttt it helps me haha. yea i'm obsessed with this site. i spend way too many hours a day on here =/ but it definitely helps me. i don't know what i'd do without it. i can only talk my boyfriend's ear off so much about this. and he can only give me so many encouraging words. he doesn't have acne so he can't really relate to what i'm going through. though he is very very supportive and never gets annoyed with me =)

yes im quite obsessed with this site too! i cant help it lol..i have a great supportive hubby ..thank goddd..but jeez i like to give him a break..and i just love that people here completely understand..i had a total meltdown 2 days ago..it was so great to come here and get support..jeez i cant wait where im not obsessing abt my skin every second..not crying about it, and not hiding inside when i get a cyst..i'm just so done with all of it! btw, i dont recommend cryin on accutane...really dries your eyes out,lol..thats the second time i did that..u wld think i wld learn..but i'm sure a cryiing fit is around the corner..they say the first 2 to 3 months are rough, but it really does seem worth it! will keep my eye out for you..will love to watch your progress!

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 08/24/2012 5:32 pm

I was prescribed prednisone a couple of weeks ago to treat poison ivy. I went through 80 pills at 5mg each in about a week and a half. I do think it helped clear my face up a little bit. I didn't break out when I came off of it.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/29/2012 2:13 pm

yes im quite obsessed with this site too! i cant help it lol..i have a great supportive hubby ..thank goddd..but jeez i like to give him a break..and i just love that people here completely understand..i had a total meltdown 2 days ago..it was so great to come here and get support..jeez i cant wait where im not obsessing abt my skin every second..not crying about it, and not hiding inside when i get a cyst..i'm just so done with all of it! btw, i dont recommend cryin on accutane...really dries your eyes out,lol..thats the second time i did that..u wld think i wld learn..but i'm sure a cryiing fit is around the corner..they say the first 2 to 3 months are rough, but it really does seem worth it! will keep my eye out for you..will love to watch your progress!

i never got notified that you wrote back! i'm sorry.

glad you have a supportive hubby =) we're lucky to have them.

i know, i can't wait to never obsess over my skin again either. i would love to wake up and just enjoy the day without a care in the world.

keep me posted with your progress too! =)

MemberMember
(@msvoboda)

Posted : 10/23/2012 7:36 pm

Taking prednisone for acne is extremely rare - I don't know of any Dermatologist who would ever do this. I've had a bad experience with prednisone for poison ivy. The prednisone cleared up the poison ivy and my mild-moderate acne (right now it's moderate). After the prednisone course was done (usually a 6-day pack is prescribed - this is what I was given) the acne flares back up. Typically the longer you're on a steriod the longer it will take your body (and skin) to recover from it. It's been 2-1/2 weeks since I've been completely off of prednisone and my skin is still a bit broken out, but it's definitely not as terrible as it was this time last week. I didn't have any other notable side effects while on prednisone. Overall, I would never take prednisone again because it really screwed up my chest, back, face, and neck acne. Neck acne is the worst to get rid of.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 10/24/2012 9:02 am

he gave this to me in august while i had to wait a month for accutane. only because nothing else was helping.