Notifications
Clear all

Which Of These Ingredients Can Help Lighten Dark Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation? Need A Good Regimen?

MemberMember
(@okiedokie123)

Posted : 08/22/2012 6:29 pm

The dark hyperpigmentation is around my mouth in the form of a 'goatee.' It's quite bothersome. I'm not looking to get rid of it around my mouth but I'm looking to at least lighten it. The pigmented areas are on sensitive, acne-prone, dry-prone, flaky-prone skin.

Here are the stuff I've gathered around the house:

Baking Soda

Raw organic honey

Raw unrefined Shea Butter

Argan Oil

Grapeseed Oil

an LED Light Therapy machine (I think it makes it worst)

Apple cider vinegar

Black currant Oil supplement

Biotin supplement

a jojoba bead-based organic brightening scrub

Microdermabrasion crystals (very effective at getting rid of flakes but can only be used once a week if mixed with water)

brown sugar

tea tree oil

vitamin C and buckthorn toner

100% Aloe Vera gel

As you can see, it's alot of stuff. Do any of these help? Do you suggest a product that can help me that's not on the list? Any regimen will help! I don't know how to take good care of my skin and always seem to make it worse!

MemberMember
(@etude)

Posted : 08/22/2012 6:56 pm

Turmeric, yogurt, and lemon juice are a couple more things that have helped some people. Be careful with turmeric though as it tends to temporarily stain your skin yellow. It also stains your clothes and anything else it touches.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/22/2012 7:21 pm

Vitamin C inhibits color, but what form do you have it in. Hydroquonine is what you need. Lumiplexion sells and excellent product.

MemberMember
(@okiedokie123)

Posted : 08/22/2012 8:48 pm

I'll look into the tumeric. Hmm, I think having yellow-ish skin beats having a dark discoloration! I have tried organic, greek yogurt before but it seemed to have made things even worse! And I'll give the lemon a go as I do have a few in my fridge! Thanks.

The Vitamin C supplement is ascorbic acid and the Vitamin C in the toner is Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/23/2012 12:34 am

I'm pretty sure with the vitamin C it needs to be topical and it will need to be more concentrated than what you have in your toner. I would suggest trying the lemon. Vitamin C is good but it is expensive in concentrated forms. Hydroquinone though is fairly inexpensive and you will notice results fairly quickly. Use sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@noorie-offord)

Posted : 09/04/2012 7:01 pm

I'm pretty sure with the vitamin C it needs to be topical and it will need to be more concentrated than what you have in your toner. I would suggest trying the lemon. Vitamin C is good but it is expensive in concentrated forms. Hydroquinone though is fairly inexpensive and you will notice results fairly quickly. Use sunscreen.

Isn't hydroquinone banned? I can't seem to locate it anywhere and I've heard that it has been banned for health and safety reasons?

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/04/2012 10:09 pm

It's not banned. There's been some talk but very little evidence of any real concern with it. It's been around and used for a long time. There's going to be isolated cases with everything, as there is with BP, etc.

MemberMember
(@noorie-offord)

Posted : 09/08/2012 5:58 pm

Where can I find hydroquinone cream from then??

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 09/08/2012 8:07 pm

^ idk anything about hydroquinone cream, but i used apple cider vinegar for a while, and it helped me a lot. i diluted it roughly water:ACV 10:1 and just put in on the spots with a qtip. ive never used vitamin c on my face, but everyone loves vitamin c lol its another good one.

i noticed you posted in the "acne.org regimen" forum, are you on the regimen? cuz then i would definitely not exfoliate, like with the baking soda and brown sugar, and other scrub-y things. i had a bad, bad, bad experience with that, when i was on the regimen i used a scrub on my chin since that was where i was peeling the most and when i put on BP after it like burnt my skin, and my chin was darker than the rest of my face for months LOL

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 09/08/2012 8:32 pm

Honey!!!

MemberMember
(@okiedokie123)

Posted : 09/12/2012 9:45 pm

^ idk anything about hydroquinone cream, but i used apple cider vinegar for a while, and it helped me a lot. i diluted it roughly water:ACV 10:1 and just put in on the spots with a qtip. ive never used vitamin c on my face, but everyone loves vitamin c lol its another good one.

i noticed you posted in the "acne.org regimen" forum, are you on the regimen? cuz then i would definitely not exfoliate, like with the baking soda and brown sugar, and other scrub-y things. i had a bad, bad, bad experience with that, when i was on the regimen i used a scrub on my chin since that was where i was peeling the most and when i put on BP after it like burnt my skin, and my chin was darker than the rest of my face for months LOL

Oh god, I think that's what happened to me! How did you ever get rid of the hyperpigmentation on your chin? I'm applying Finacea on it now but since it acts as an exfoliator, I am considering stopping it since my chin just got a hell of a lot darker.

Honey!!!

I heard it advertised on sale on the television, but of course it's still a small fortune. Just try honey.

My marks have faded by about 50-75% because of the stuff. And I don't even have the nice Manuka honey. I bought mine at Wal-Mart and it says all natural lol idk but it works. I leave it on for as long as I want (sometimes 45 minutes, sometimes all night).

It's perfect because it's all natural, non-irritating, and while it may stink to be sticky it's okay cause trust me the benefits pay off.

I tried Honey and Tumeric. Tumeric stains my skin and just seems to mask the problem, not actually fade it. Honey really just causes my skin to dry on my chin. :/ Not only do I have PIH, but also Seborrheic Dermatitis/Perioral Dermatitis on my chin. It's horrible!

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 09/12/2012 11:36 pm

you kind of just have to give it time, i had it for like 3 or 4 months? it just slowly fades away, and i moisturized the area just like i did with the rest of my face, i was so scared that if i did anything special for it the patch would just look even more different from the rest of my face, but i had no idea how to deal with it so someone on here might know a better way of getting rid of it. imo i would keep the Finacea but just dont put it on your chin until the super-dryness goes away, then slowly "introduce" it back to that part of the skin so it doesnt freak out again lol

MemberMember
(@noorie-offord)

Posted : 09/19/2012 9:36 am

Okay, I might have to purchase some ACV then. Everyone goes on about how good that is!

Well my dermatologist has prescribed me with BP but I'm not exactly on the regimen yet. I have ordered some AHA from the US so that takes around 3 weeks to reach the UK. Yep I might skip the exfoliating process then. I just wanna scrub the acne scars awayyy!

Honey!!!

I heard it advertised on sale on the television, but of course it's still a small fortune. Just try honey.

My marks have faded by about 50-75% because of the stuff. And I don't even have the nice Manuka honey. I bought mine at Wal-Mart and it says all natural lol idk but it works. I leave it on for as long as I want (sometimes 45 minutes, sometimes all night).

It's perfect because it's all natural, non-irritating, and while it may stink to be sticky it's okay cause trust me the benefits pay off.

Thing is I read that hydroquinone is banned in the UK so I'm not sure if it would get through customs if I ordered it from Amazon US or something! I don't wanna spend all that money and then realise I can't even have it in this country. I know how many people go on about that as well! I might just have to try the AHA!

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 09/19/2012 1:07 pm

Okay, I might have to purchase some ACV then. Everyone goes on about how good that is!

Well my dermatologist has prescribed me with BP but I'm not exactly on the regimen yet. I have ordered some AHA from the US so that takes around 3 weeks to reach the UK. Yep I might skip the exfoliating process then. I just wanna scrub the acne scars awayyy!

cool! good luck :D remember to wait a while (usually 5 weeks) before you use the AHA, its really irritating. it burns and i always touch my face to i used to like rub it off and it made my face red the first few times i used it and yeah. so make sure youre following instructions! theres forums on here that can help you use it the best way

i think you should wait a little before you use the ACV though, like until your skin gets more used to the regimen/BP. i started using it a little over a month into the regimen so idk what would happen if you use it earlier, but i just think it would be better to introduce topicals to your skin one at a time. and i would suggest putting the ACV on your scars with a qtip, then BP and all the other stuff so it can go directly on the red marks :D

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 01/14/2013 11:41 pm

Sorry I didn't see this before. I'm sure you can get hydroquinone from many places, but I get mine from Lumiplexion. You can also email her or call her with any concerns you may have about it.