Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coleb

So Gluten Is Only Bad If You're Intolerant, Right?

I can give you more evidence-based answer. A few months back I looked at all the studies on gluten and skin issues. It's not been studied much, but we have a good handful of studies.

Perhaps the best one I've seen is one done with psoriasis patients. In their previous study the researchers found that 16% of psoriasis patients were gluten sensitive (they had positive test to gluten antibodies). Then they took a mixture of psoriasis patients with positive and negative gluten antibody test and put them on strict gluten-free diet for 3 months. Those who were diagnosed with gluten sensitivity improved whereas those who didn't have diagnosed gluten sensitivity showed no results. Other studies have found that gluten sensitivity is more prevalent in skin patients than healthy controls.

You can see the full post with all the studies references here: Gluten And Acne: Can Bread Give You Acne?

So there's no good evidence to say that going gluten free will benefit everybody with acne.

Now to the question that if you are not gluten sensitive is gluten just less bad or can you eat it without worries. That I'm not so sure about it. To date there's no convincing evidence that gluten causes widespread problems in generally healthy people.

That said there's more and more research coming out showing problems with gluten. I don't know, but I suspect that it will be a problem to a certain portion of the population.

Is it possible that gluten always causes some harm? Yes, but I'm sure you could say that with almost any food out there. The fact is that plants and animals don't like for us to eat them. So they figure out ways to deter us. I'm starting to think that it's just a matter of minimizing the damage - rather than choosing foods with no negative effects.

Wow, that link it awesome. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

So, which is better for those with acne and who suffer from digestive issues? Going Paleo, and avoiding even gluten free grains like rice and oats?

Or, simply avoiding only the grains that contain gluten, and eating the ones that don't contain it?

I'll skip the dairy, no matter what. I just am a bit confused as to which would be the best for my body; Paleo, or simply gluten-free?

It would kind of be nice to eat corn again, and not feel guilty about it...

Just prepare them properly.

I'm guessing "Mexican street corn" (elotes) doesn't count as preparing it properly? That's my favorite way to eat it!

Actually, if you have digestion issues then I'd avoid all seeds until it's better, then prepare them properly. And the part where they smear mayonaise on the corn is absolutely revolting. Are you in Mexico?

No, I'm from the U.S. I just love traditional Mexican food. I live in a city with a very large Mexican population, I speak Spanish, and have Mexican friends. It does sound revolting, and I thought it was nasty-sounding at first, too. But it tastes amazing. Especially with chili powder and lime salt on top. Promise!

Although I guess if I were to make an attempt to even eat it after working through my digestive problems, I would have to prepare it with dairy free-mayo...

Anyway, I don't want to get too far off topic.

Thanks for the advice.

So, which is better for those with acne and who suffer from digestive issues? Going Paleo, and avoiding even gluten free grains like rice and oats?

Or, simply avoiding only the grains that contain gluten, and eating the ones that don't contain it?

I'll skip the dairy, no matter what. I just am a bit confused as to which would be the best for my body; Paleo, or simply gluten-free?

I'm guessing "Mexican street corn" (elotes) doesn't count as preparing it properly? That's my favorite way to eat it!

Actually, if you have digestion issues then I'd avoid all seeds until it's better, then prepare them properly. And the part where they smear mayonaise on the corn is absolutely revolting. Are you in Mexico?

What if one were to eat raw sunflower seeds? Would that upset the digestion?

Edited by CherrySoda08

Raw sunflower seeds are not too good for digestion. It's that way for any seed or nut. But you can eliminate the issues that they present by soaking and/or sprouting them properly. Unless you have a specific allergy to them.

No, I'm from the U.S. I just love traditional Mexican food. I live in a city with a very large Mexican population, I speak Spanish, and have Mexican friends. It does sound revolting, and I thought it was nasty-sounding at first, too. But it tastes amazing. Especially with chili powder and lime salt on top. Promise!

Although I guess if I were to make an attempt to even eat it after working through my digestive problems, I would have to prepare it with dairy free-mayo...

Thanks for the advice.

They are easy to sprout. And lime and chile powder is very good on corn. I do that all the time. The mayo thing, though, is revolting.

Thanks for the advice.

They are easy to sprout. And lime and chile powder is very good on corn. I do that all the time. The mayo thing, though, is revolting.

To each his own. It's worth a try. If a girl raised mostly on Southern food like me can end up liking it, then I think anybody can.