Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coleb

So Gluten Is Only Bad If You're Intolerant, Right?

I've been avoiding gluten along with a myriad of other things for the past year or so and i've had good results. I was thinking about gluten lately and I realized the only reason I avoided it was IN CASE I had an intolerance, but I didn't know if I actually had one. And i've read only about 10% of people have a gluten intolerence. It's also likely even less for me because I am of european descent.

Is this correct, that if you aren't part of the x% that have an intolerance, that eating gluten is completely fine?

Not really. It isn't a very healthy food. And I don't know why you think being of European descent makes it less likely for you. There are tons of European celiacs. From what I understand there is even more awareness about it over there than there is in America. In Italy there are especially a lot.

Not really. It isn't a very healthy food. And I don't know why you think being of European descent makes it less likely for you. There are tons of European celiacs. From what I understand there is even more awareness about it over there than there is in America. In Italy there are especially a lot.

As for gluten being "bad", I should have expected this kind of answer knowing the paleo cult that inhabits this site. I'm into nutrition myself, and generally the viewpoint that gluten, dairy, soy, etc is "bad" is seen as a joke because there's no real evidence showing that to be the case. Same with the paleo diet in general, it's based on a lot of speculation and almost no real evidence.

I just want to know the truth, no speculative bullshit about how gluten is bad and that we shouldn't eat it because it's poison.

I was hoping i could get some legitimate answers - the only real complication I can see from gluten consumption would be if the body can't digest it properly. If you are not part of the 10% or so that can't handle it, I don't really see how it could cause any complications.

Wow, harsh. If you think we are all part of some stupid cult, and our ideas are "bullshit" then why would you even post such a question here? Sorry I wasted my time trying to help. Enjoy your gluten and soy, lol. I'm sure you'll do spectacular!

As for gluten being "bad", I should have expected this kind of answer knowing the paleo cult that inhabits this site. I'm into nutrition myself, and generally the viewpoint that gluten, dairy, soy, etc is "bad" is seen as a joke because there's no real evidence showing that to be the case. Same with the paleo diet in general, it's based on a lot of speculation and almost no real evidence.

I just want to know the truth, no speculative bullshit about how gluten is bad and that we shouldn't eat it because it's poison.

I was hoping i could get some legitimate answers - the only real complication I can see from gluten consumption would be if the body can't digest it properly. If you are not part of the 10% or so that can't handle it, I don't really see how it could cause any complications.

Actually it isn't really 10%, one study showed that about 30% of the people had an immune system response represented in their stool after eating gluten.

Wow, harsh. If you think we are all part of some stupid cult, and our ideas are "bullshit" then why would you even post such a question here? Sorry I wasted my time trying to help. Enjoy your gluten and soy, lol. I'm sure you'll do spectacular!

No need to get upset.

Is it too much to ask for actual scientific evidence nowadays? Shouldn't that be the standard?

I mean, if people on here claim that gluten is somehow unhealthy then where's the evidence? The paleo diet has been debunked many times because, well... There's no real evidence supporting it. It's all speculation.

I've been a proponent of paleo before for acne because I know that for certain people dairy and gluten will cause complications. But for general health there's no evidene suggesting that gluten is bad for you.

Actually it isn't really 10%, one study showed that about 30% of the people had an immune system response represented in their stool after eating gluten.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21181303

I can give you more evidence-based answer. A few months back I looked at all the studies on gluten and skin issues. It's not been studied much, but we have a good handful of studies.

Perhaps the best one I've seen is one done with psoriasis patients. In their previous study the researchers found that 16% of psoriasis patients were gluten sensitive (they had positive test to gluten antibodies). Then they took a mixture of psoriasis patients with positive and negative gluten antibody test and put them on strict gluten-free diet for 3 months. Those who were diagnosed with gluten sensitivity improved whereas those who didn't have diagnosed gluten sensitivity showed no results. Other studies have found that gluten sensitivity is more prevalent in skin patients than healthy controls.

You can see the full post with all the studies references here: Gluten And Acne: Can Bread Give You Acne?

So there's no good evidence to say that going gluten free will benefit everybody with acne.

Now to the question that if you are not gluten sensitive is gluten just less bad or can you eat it without worries. That I'm not so sure about it. To date there's no convincing evidence that gluten causes widespread problems in generally healthy people.

That said there's more and more research coming out showing problems with gluten. I don't know, but I suspect that it will be a problem to a certain portion of the population.

Is it possible that gluten always causes some harm? Yes, but I'm sure you could say that with almost any food out there. The fact is that plants and animals don't like for us to eat them. So they figure out ways to deter us. I'm starting to think that it's just a matter of minimizing the damage - rather than choosing foods with no negative effects.

Plants do want us to eat them, that way they are able to have their seeds spread. Specially fruits.

It's mostly the seeds that mostly has anti-nutrients.

so, is the only legitimate answer that gluten is great? I don't follow the paleo diet, do argue with the paleo fanatics all the time and I do eat grains. I just prepare them properly they way they were done for thousands of years before our food became industrialized and all about big profit. And I eat plenty of the foods that reduce and repair harm from them. And I usually choose the more benevolent grains and grainlike seeds such as oats and buckwheat and don't make them a big part of my diet.

And there is evidence. There's plenty of info on all that in this thread: http://www.acne.org/...-clogged-pores/

Edited by alternativista

Plants do want us to eat them, that way they are able to have their seeds spread. Specially fruits.

It's mostly the seeds that mostly has anti-nutrients.

Here we go with the creationist-like arguements again.

Poisonous fruits like the redoul beg to differ.

Traits are not driven by motive when it comes to evolution by natural selection. Traits pass on because of the successful reproducers, who will likely have beneficial adaptations. Religious or spiritual beliefs aside, there is no design or want when it comes to biology.

And because I've seen it before, fruits taste sweet because we've selectively bred them to taste sweet. They aren't sweet because they want to be eaten, and the redoul doesn't resemble a blackberry so it can poison us.

Edited by tim12

I have Celiac disease. The fact that you're European actually means you're more likely to be gluten intolerant. Celiac disease and gluten intolerance is more prevalent in caucasian and fair-skinned people. It's so prominent in Finland that they actually have gluten free buns served on their hamburgers as per the customer's request at McDonald's.

Ever since my diagnosis, I not only feel better (duh) but my skin has been way better off, too. I'm assuming that this is from the gluten.

I have Celiac disease. The fact that you're European actually means you're more likely to be gluten intolerant. Celiac disease and gluten intolerance is more prevalent in caucasian and fair-skinned people. It's so prominent in Finland that they actually have gluten free buns served on their hamburgers as per the customer's request at McDonald's.

Ever since my diagnosis, I not only feel better (duh) but my skin has been way better off, too. I'm assuming that this is from the gluten.

It's more common in people of Northern European descent as they have had less time to adapt to agriculturally produced grains. Especially wheat. People around the Mediterranean and middle east have consumed wheat and related grains longer.

And not all intolerances involve the immune system. There are many other inflammatory responses. And then of course with any allergy test, you have to question what antibodies they are testing for. Most are only concerned with the IgE antibodies that cause immediate responses that can include reactions like anaphylactic shock that can kill you. For gluten in particular, you need to look for IgA antibodies that function in our mucous membranes and linings such as the lining of the digestive tract. And IgG antibodies that cause delayed responses responsible for mystery ailments like fatigue, headache, asthma and such that people suffer for years and even a lifetime without ever getting any help. And acne.

Edited by alternativista

Also just want to add that just because you have a gluten sensitivity test done and it comes back negative does not mean that you may not have a problem with gluten. Tests come back false negative as there is one type of celiac disease that is silent. I had a gluten sensitivity test done and it came back negative but anytime I eat gluten I get dark bags under my eyes (allergic shiners), migraines, lot's of acne, fatigue, constipation etc.

The only way you can know if gluten is bad for your own body is to listen to your body. Eat gluten in moderation - see how you feel. If it causes you any symptoms you know that you can't handle it. If it dosen't then do what feels right for your body and diet.

So, which is better for those with acne and who suffer from digestive issues? Going Paleo, and avoiding even gluten free grains like rice and oats?

Or, simply avoiding only the grains that contain gluten, and eating the ones that don't contain it?

I'll skip the dairy, no matter what. I just am a bit confused as to which would be the best for my body; Paleo, or simply gluten-free?

It would kind of be nice to eat corn again, and not feel guilty about it...

So, which is better for those with acne and who suffer from digestive issues? Going Paleo, and avoiding even gluten free grains like rice and oats?

Or, simply avoiding only the grains that contain gluten, and eating the ones that don't contain it?

I'll skip the dairy, no matter what. I just am a bit confused as to which would be the best for my body; Paleo, or simply gluten-free?

I don't think it has to an either or issue. I don't see any good reason to limit yourself to those 2 choices. Rather listen to your body and see what happens after you eat certain foods. Digestive and health issues can be complex and rarely abide by human-defined rules (such as paleo and restricting gluten-containing grains).

I don't think it has to an either or issue. I don't see any good reason to limit yourself to those 2 choices. Rather listen to your body and see what happens after you eat certain foods. Digestive and health issues can be complex and rarely abide by human-defined rules (such as paleo and restricting gluten-containing grains).

Good advice. Since June, I have been eating a largely Paleo-type diet. It has only been since recently that I decided to incorporate things like corn, rice and sometimes white potatoes in my masaman chicken (Thai dish). Of course I have only been eating these things sparingly. But I have been a little afraid of ruining the progress I have made so far in getting rid of the extreme oiliness in my skin, and in regulating my digestive system,

If you have any other tips or pointers you'd like to share with me, I'd really be grateful.

Cherry

Good advice. Since June, I have been eating a largely Paleo-type diet. It has only been since recently that I decided to incorporate things like corn, rice and sometimes white potatoes in my masaman chicken (Thai dish). Of course I have only been eating these things sparingly. But I have been a little afraid of ruining the progress I have made so far in getting rid of the extreme oiliness in my skin, and in regulating my digestive system,

If you have any other tips or pointers you'd like to share with me, I'd really be grateful.

Cherry

I think paleo is a good template to follow, but I wouldn't take all of their recommendations too seriously. I have still to hear a good reason for widespread limiting of grains. They can and will cause problems for some people, but I still believe most people can eat them without any real problems. Hence my point for not limiting all non-paleo foods just because they aren't paleo.

Sebum production is largely an issue of hormones and genes. I wrote a detailed post about how to reduce sebum production to my blog: Help I Have Oily Skin! What Can I Do About It?. You can use some topical treatments to reduce the sensitivity of androgen receptors in the skin and that way reduce sebum production.

Diet-wise paleo works quite nicely because it usually restricts carbohydrates to some degree and focuses on fat and protein. So insulin levels drop, reducing the hormonal signals to produce sebum.

I also covered gut healing in detail here: Science-Based Guide To Happy Gut And Healthy Skin. Basically it comes down to correcting bacterial problems in the gut. Many people also need to limit fiber intake, as people with gut issues often have limited tolerance to fiber - especially insoluble.

Cherry

I think paleo is a good template to follow, but I wouldn't take all of their recommendations too seriously. I have still to hear a good reason for widespread limiting of grains. They can and will cause problems for some people, but I still believe most people can eat them without any real problems. Hence my point for not limiting all non-paleo foods just because they aren't paleo.

Sebum production is largely an issue of hormones and genes. I wrote a detailed post about how to reduce sebum production to my blog: Help I Have Oily Skin! What Can I Do About It?. You can use some topical treatments to reduce the sensitivity of androgen receptors in the skin and that way reduce sebum production.

Diet-wise paleo works quite nicely because it usually restricts carbohydrates to some degree and focuses on fat and protein. So insulin levels drop, reducing the hormonal signals to produce sebum.

I also covered gut healing in detail here: Science-Based Guide To Happy Gut And Healthy Skin. Basically it comes down to correcting bacterial problems in the gut. Many people also need to limit fiber intake, as people with gut issues often have limited tolerance to fiber - especially insoluble.

Cool. I will take a look at those links.

Just prepare them properly.

I'm guessing "Mexican street corn" (elotes) doesn't count as preparing it properly? That's my favorite way to eat it!

Is this correct, that if you aren't part of the x% that have an intolerance, that eating gluten is completely fine?

Yes, that is correct. There's no evidence that it's bad for healthy humans (unless you eat pure gluten, but I'm pretty sure you don't). There's only one way to find out if they affect you (unless you already know that you're intolerant, of course): go gluten-free for a while, and see what happens.

I am 95% clear, today I've had 2 mc wraps and some sandwiches which I haven't eaten gluten for months. I'll see and experiment what happens during the next 3 days.

Although I am not sensitive to gluten, but I do seem to have problem with starches and high gi food.

Edited by DaftFrost

I'm guessing "Mexican street corn" (elotes) doesn't count as preparing it properly? That's my favorite way to eat it!

Actually, if you have digestion issues then I'd avoid all seeds until it's better, then prepare them properly. And the part where they smear mayonaise on the corn is absolutely revolting. Are you in Mexico?