Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JennG

Acne Getting Worse!

Ever since starting the regimen, about 5 weeks ago, my pimples/breakouts have been getting worse, not better! My skin's not too flaky, or dry or anything like that, just the number, severity and overall obviousness of my pimples has become a lot worse! Is this normal? And should I keep carrying on?

Edited by JennG

When I was in week 5, I almost gave up too. Just like you, my acne got so much worse! Cysts and everything! I don't think it was ever that bad before. But I think my skin was purging and I believe that could be the case for you too. I definitely think you should keep going because I am now at month 3 and things are beginning to get a lot better! I can see an improvement and am so glad that I stuck to it! Don't give up just yet! You know what they say, it gets worse before it gets better. This regimen is a hard one and results are slow, but slowly and surely you'll get there. Good luck! :)

No! Power through it and be even more gentle now that new pimples have formed. You'll be clear in 2-3 months, trust me. The longer you keep doing the Regimen the less severe new pimples will be and the next thing you know you'll be waking up with a relatively smooth face.

If you're fully adjusted to the full 2 pumps of BP then use even more. I personally use 2 1/4 pumps and it's working pretty well and another 1/4 for the front area of my neck.

Edited by darthrevan

I think for people with more moderate to severe acne, the process takes a little longer. The BP is essentially working from deep into your pores, not the surface of your skin, so it takes a while for it to take a visible effect. Just fight through these initial stages and slather on that BP! Be as gentle as possible, no picking and be religious with the regimen each morning and night. The closer you follow it, the faster it works.

Stick with it!!!!!!! I am also around the same week as you, and here is what some people who have had success with the regimen are said to go through.

-Week 2-6 you are going to have the worst breakouts.

-Week 7-12 you are going to have very minor breakouts.

-Week 12 and beyond when you will have clear skin! And maybe an occasional breakouts, but it will be nothing like what you are going through now.

Good luck :D

Not sure what kind of acne you have but I think it's important to be realistic. Everyone's skin is different and some have said that their skin cleared in 4-6 months. I have been on the regimen for 10 weeks and although my cystic acne has slowed down a lot, it doesn't appear that I will be clear in 12 weeks. Just stick to it and apply twice a day, every day and give it a chance to work. Usually, matters of the health/body take time and this is no different. Hang in there and good luck:)

Some great advice made above Jenn. Be patient and just look at it as a few months of hell in order to have clear skin afterwards. Follow the regimen gently and precisely as already mentioned above. Also be patient and realistic with time frames for results (everyone experiences different results within differing time frames) and you will have clear skin in the end. I battled acne for 25 years and I have finally now got clear skin and I've just turned 40.

Good luck! :)

Thank you everyone for the great advice and support! :D

I'm definitely going to keep pressing on, I really hope that this works!

Try to hang in there! The first few months can feel like a roller coaster ride. Make sure you are using the products correctly, and just try to be patient with it.

Read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#notworking

And here: http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

And take this quiz. http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

If you are following The Regimen very strictly, here is what you can expect. http://www.acne.org/whattoexpect.html

Hope that helps!

agreed! i stuck with it for 6 months last year and everyone said my skin was clearest around that time! but im a swimmer and i just had too much dryness and sun exposure so i stopped haha. but now ive been on retin-a for a while so my skins clearing up again :D so yeah stick with it and DONT EXFOLIATE thats the biggest mistake you can make, i tried using a peeling gel while i was on the regimen and the BP BURNT MY SKIN and i still have a semi-dark area on my chin where my skin got burnt LOL

stay gentle and itll get better :)