Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi I was prescribed epiduo in march after an acne relapse following accutane treatment. The epiduo is SO drying for my skin it's unbelievable - i'm using a gentle cleanser and moisuriser and im only using a pea sized amount of the epiduo every other night.

Yet the burning sensation is absolute AGONY, applying moisturiser on top of the epiduo multiplies the burning sensation 10x.

Don't get me wrong the epiduo has worked slightly to clear my acne but I simply cannot put up with the burning anymore its making my life hell.

My question is this: Is the use of 2.5% BP compared with epiduo less drying?

Im pretty desperate at this point I need an alternative to epiduo my acne isn't bad enough for another course of accutane but still pretty bad.

Thanks

hey

how long have you been using it? Is your face red i.e. irritated ?

My best advice is to take it slow and sometimes use it a couple of times a week until you build up a tolerance for it usually over a couple of weeks.

Its the BP in epiduo that is most likely the cause of the extra drying, the adapelene does dry you out a bit depending on your skin but bp is known to dry the shit of your skin!

You could a 2.5 bp to see if you skin is better off without it.

Its all about a of trial and error until you find what works.

hope that helps

jay

Edited by fadedjay

How long have you been using epiduo? I think your skin will get used to it, since you took accutane it will take longer but I guess if you use a REALLY REALLY small amount of it and slowly work your way up your skin will probably get used to it.

Hey thanks for the replies guys... Ive been using it off and on since March! Ive really tried to persist with it and give it a good shot but my skin just seems to burn like f**k every time i apply it.. Yeh i bought a 2.5% bp so ill see how that goes.. The bp in epiduo is also 2.5%.

I know the adapalene (retin-a) in epiduo also causes drying and peeling so hopefully just pure 2.5 bp will be ok for me.. ill let you know how it goes..

I thought adapalene was differin not retin-a? And yeah everyone is different something that might be a miracle for someone could make someone else break out, it all depends on the person.

Hey thanks for the replies guys... Ive been using it off and on since March! Ive really tried to persist with it and give it a good shot but my skin just seems to burn like f**k every time i apply it.. Yeh i bought a 2.5% bp so ill see how that goes.. The bp in epiduo is also 2.5%.

I know the adapalene (retin-a) in epiduo also causes drying and peeling so hopefully just pure 2.5 bp will be ok for me.. ill let you know how it goes..

Epiduo = differin + bp

Personally I found benzoyl peroxide alone to be far more drying and burning than the differin alone. Differin by contrast is quite mild.

I thought adapalene was differin not retin-a? And yeah everyone is different something that might be a miracle for someone could make someone else break out, it all depends on the person.

differin is the brand name of adapalene. Adapalene is a retinoid.