Notifications
Clear all

Will My Acne Go Away When I'm Older

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/14/2012 3:42 pm

i'm 18 and i've been suffering from acne since i was about 13. when i was 13-15 my acne was very very mild, i never got any cysts or deep pimples, just a ton of blackheads/whiteheads. they cleared up (but not completely) but at 16 i started having deeper and more painful pimples, i think i can now call my acne moderate because i sometimes get cysts, my regular pimples are small but deep and they hurt. will i still have this when i'm older? will it at least improve? i really don't want it anymore and i'm trying my best to eat healthier and i'm taking fish oil, exercising, and drinking lemon water.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/14/2012 3:44 pm

Nope. Speaking from experience. My acne actually got a little worse in my twenties.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/14/2012 3:46 pm

mine too ^

i'm turning 26 tomorrow and i have the worst acne i ever had in my life.

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 08/14/2012 3:59 pm

Agreed. My skin only got worse the older I got. I had acne from 12-23 (and now again at 25 being pregnant.) Just be persistent on finding what works for you. A combination of birth control pills (after a lot of trial and error with different brands), TCA peels, and a battery operated facial cleansing brush solved my problems.

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 08/14/2012 6:15 pm

Same like most of you people! It got worse at 25. Our ages are so close.. I wonder if this is a sign to stop getting acne for good=\

But we shouldn't stress him out!! It depends.. my bro stopped getting bad breakouts at 17-18. My sister skin isn't bad either, but she used to get a lot of cysts.. she doesn't have scars at all.. so lucky. I'm the only one here dealing with this. Oh, and my sis is 24. She did breakout a bit, but no biggie.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/14/2012 6:21 pm

so i'll have it FOREVER?? will it at least IMPROVE? that really sucks! i feel like crying now.

MemberMember
(@pugrocker)

Posted : 08/14/2012 6:36 pm

so i'll have it FOREVER?? will it at least IMPROVE? that really sucks! i feel like crying now.

No need to cry. Everyone is different, like for example, my sister had bad acne as a teen, but it cleared up and she stopped breaking out at about the age of 20 and she didnt use anything but soap and water on her face. Myself, I didnt have it bad at all as a teen, mine started in my late 20's and Im 41 now and I still break out a little bit so like I said everyone is different so try not to worry about it and yeah I know, thats easier said than done but anyway, best of luck to ya in your acne fight!cool.png

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/14/2012 7:07 pm

thank you.. but i just feel so ugly when i see pretty girls with perfect skin around me.. it just makes me feel terribly disgusting, honestly. like i'm less of a person. it's not fair. at my age there's so much pressure to look beautiful constantly. even though i know most people don't care how good you look a lot of them are secretly judging inside... everyone does it, even me

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/14/2012 7:26 pm

aw don't cry! we don't want to scare you. but unfortunately that was the case for all of us. but like he said above, everybody's different. do you have siblings? if so, what is their skin like?

my brother had a little bit of acne as a teen and it went away in his early twenties. my sis gets like tiny tiny pimples very infrequently but for the most part her skin is perfect. i'm the one who's got it BAD.

i know how you feel, it blows being this old and facing everybody with this. especially because 2 months ago my acne was somewhat under control. i could easily conceal it. now... it's blatantly obvious. i cry a lot and i'm on an antidepressant for it. you're right, people do judge no matter what people tell you. everybody does. but luckily nobody says anything. so just try not to focus on what others are thinking and try to be yourself and not let acne interfere with your life. i notice if i'm self conscious and quiet because of my skin, everyone else is quiet around me. so i do my best to be myself.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/16/2012 12:24 am

i'm just at my wit's end today. looked in the mirror with natural light streaming in from my window... indented scars, hyperpigmentation.. not a lot of actual pimples but TONS of clogged pores and it just looks DISGUSTING! seriously i'm f-ing fed up of this shit. i hate my skin. i just want to cry for days

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/16/2012 3:07 am

i just feel so goddamn ugly ugly ugly. maybe not ugly, but terribly average. i just want to be gorgeous with beautiful clear skin

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/16/2012 9:00 am

me too hun. it's awful feeling like this.

MemberMember
(@jaydeec)

Posted : 08/17/2012 2:58 am

Girl you are not alone, Just the other day I wanted to leave work and cry because i stared at my face in a magnified mirror at work (stupid thing to do..but can't help it, i'm obsessed now) and besides my face looking crap and being oily I had some random zit appear out of nowhere during my shift. Sometimes I just feeling like saying F**k it all. I rarely got acne as a teen and when i did it was mild. It wasn't till I hit my 20's when it started happening more often by my mid 20's it was def starting to become an issue and since then it's gotten worse . Not severe as some other cases but it's still bad.I get cysts every once in a while now too, the cysts started happening maybe a yr or two ago. Never had those before. What kills me is the fact that I KNOW my diet and drastic lifestyle changes have caused my acne. I have gained a significant amount of weight in the last 12 yrs since high school , consumed alot of alcohol in my 20's ,ALOT of alcohol,yo yo diets galore, and now my body and skin are paying for it. I've wrecked havoc on my body, hormones . So I mostly blame myself, I strongly believe that had I kept a healthy , active lifestyle i wouldn't be going through this. There's no family history of acne, at least not severe or anything. Mostly mild, my mom had mild-mod growing up, my dad had none, my bros had mild to mod at times and sister has acne but mostly hormonal , she usually only gets it before her period. So mine isn't genetic (don't think) My suggestion to you is to take care of your body internally as well as externally. Because regardless of what anyone says what you put inside your body will show on the outside.

Good luck and with or without acne your a pretty girl. And there's nothing wrong with being average btw. Honestly it has to do with how you see yourself , which in turn leads to confidence. You can be a stunningly beautiful person but have a s**t attitude and that will ruin everything. I know of ''average'' or not so ''good looking'' people who are so attractive, they attract/give this ''aura'' or energy and have lot's to bring to the table. Beauty isn't everything, it really is skin deep. I've worked and been witness to many photo shoots, many of these models have flaws , some of these girls you can look at in mags and think ''oh my god she's flawless and perfect'' but behind all the glam and ''smoke and mirrors'' it's something else. IMO what makes these girls really attractive is the confidence (not everyone has it) they exude in front of a camera. It's pretty pathetic and sad what society has done to us. These days they are reaching an even younger target then when i was growing up. They bombard women with THEIR views on beauty and what they think is expected. Just stay true to who you , be confident in who you are and what you have to give to this world. It will work out, you'll see. Hope it gets better for you.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 08/17/2012 7:36 am

once you have it you will always be pre-dispositioned to it. I am 45 and have suffered with skin issues for 32 years. Its all I know and can remember. Its going to get worse if your a woman when you reach menopause. You will experience the exact same symptoms as you did when you first hit puberty. Find something that works now whether its diet or accutane and enjoy the moments of clear skin you will have. wish we had better news for you but we are just keeping it real

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 08/17/2012 2:17 pm

Acne has not been an issue for me since I hit menopause. My friends who are also in menopause and had acne as teenagers have not been bothered by it either. Not that I don't have skin issues but they are so minor compared to my teenage years. Would love to hear from others on this topic.

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/17/2012 6:41 pm

thank you so much everyone. all of your words mean a lot to me! i'm glad that people here are a lot more understanding than the people i know in real life. people just think i'm exaggerating or overreacting when it really is affecting me deeply.

i sure hope my acne won't get worse when i'm older. i only ever really get zits about a week or two BEFORE my period. usually 4-5. never during and after. that's hormonal right?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/17/2012 8:29 pm

thank you so much everyone. all of your words mean a lot to me! i'm glad that people here are a lot more understanding than the people i know in real life. people just think i'm exaggerating or overreacting when it really is affecting me deeply.

i sure hope my acne won't get worse when i'm older. i only ever really get zits about a week or two BEFORE my period. usually 4-5. never during and after. that's hormonal right?

Sounds like it is hormonal for sure. Are you on BC pills at all? If so you might want to try a different kind, if you have been on it for more than 3 months and still breakout I would look into switching to something more targeted at acne. Also you could see a dermatologist and see if you can be prescribed spiro. Something to look into anyway. Feel better :)

MemberMember
(@lacydecay)

Posted : 08/17/2012 8:41 pm

The only time my skin improved was when I reaslised that it was actually down to the products I was using. My skin only started clearing up when I switched to organic products and binned anything chemical.

Im saying its a solution. I still get acne. But nothing like I did when I was around 17. (Im 22 now)

x

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/18/2012 1:26 am

i've never been on bc and i honestly don't want to. i've thought about it but it's just too risky to mess with my hormones, i'm only 17. if i go off it i know my skin will go crazy. anyway, i have question. is it just me or do inflamed/painful pimples seem to scar a lot worse than deep pimples that don't hurt? the pimples i get are rather deep but small, but the painful ones always scar the worst. they leave obvious red marks, but the ones that don't hurt leave a very light pink mark or sometimes a light brown mark. does inflammation have anything to do with that?

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 08/18/2012 2:35 am

I think it depends on genetics; some people stop getting acne after puberty, some people continue to have acne. One of the best way to see if you'll stop getting acne when you're older is to see if your parents still have acne. Just my opinion/thoughts/experience. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 08/18/2012 4:13 am

lol i can't even do that because i'm adopted. :/

MemberMember
(@delmarva)

Posted : 08/12/2013 3:31 pm

Well, I'm over 50 now.

I had terrible acne when I was 12 - 17, a little better in my 20s but not much, a just a little better in my 30s. Chest acne stopped in my 30's and 40's. Facial acne dropped in my 40s

By late 40's my skin started getting a little drier, and post-menopause my skin is FLAWLESS.

For the first time in my life I use a little moisturizer.

I work out a lot, and sweating causes no breakouts.

This is no doubt due to the changing hormones; menopause made my skin a little less oily and now I've got magazine-quality skin.

The upside - all the oily skin for all those years (and no smoking and good sun protection) means no wrinkles.

There is a reward at the end.

The reason I joined this forum is to counter the post on here that said menopause will (definitely) make it worse.

If you're skin behaves as mine did, in another 25 years you'll be greatly rewarded. And, even though you've lost the beauty of youth, it's no less appreciated when you're over 50. You'll still care what you look like, even with rich life experiences under your belt.

Cheryl

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/12/2013 4:27 pm

It depends on the cause of your acne. If it's hormonal, and those hormones settle down with age, then it's a possibility. Genetic acne could still lessen (or worsen) with age, depending on different factors. Treat your acne today and then wait and see what happens tomorrow - maybe it'll go away with age, maybe not, but no point stressing over it when you can't predict the outcome.

Personally, I got terrible acne at 18, which has settled down with treatment now that I'm 20. My acne is from hormonal genetic problems go figure.

MemberMember
(@supernova30)

Posted : 08/12/2013 4:31 pm

I just wanted to add a note to anyone young reading this thread and feeling discouraged - remember you are talking to a *very* biased sample. Everyone on this forum is here because they have acne. The majority of people who outgrew it aren't here to say so!

I had mild/moderate acne as a teen that dropped off a lot in frequency but became more severe. So throughout my 20's and now into my early thirties I only get very occasional cysts (and a few smaller pimples here and there) but they take far longer to go away and now are more likely to scar.

But you might be just fine and be clear, like the majority of adults are the majority of the time.

MemberMember
(@jaybee2k13)

Posted : 11/19/2013 4:28 am

Speak to your doctor/dermatologist about ACCUTANE. Best decision you could make for your skin... Some people require two courses for complete remission of acne. Courses can last 4-8 months. Works for 90% of patients. I was in your position, now 8 months later, I barely get any spots...

Just a suggestion.