Notifications
Clear all

Are There Actual Alternatives For Acne.org Products?

MemberMember
(@skinnyjeans91)

Posted : 08/14/2012 12:03 pm

So has anyone matched exact ingredients to store bought products? Like products that are pretty much the same stuff in the acne.org products? I'd rather just grab these things when I'm out than order it online.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 08/14/2012 5:01 pm

I've never found a BP in store that is comparable to Dan's. There are several alternative cleansers and moisturizers available in drug stores, although I don't know of any which have the exact same ingredients as Dan's products. I get my cleanser and moisturizer from a drug store, and order BP and AHA+ from Dan.

http://www.acne.org/acne-products-guide.html

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/14/2012 8:14 pm

You can pick up a set of the acne-free line if you want a comparable routine with store bought products. i find it funny that people want to follow his regimen but not his products. There's a saying that says anything worth doing is worth doing right.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 08/15/2012 2:50 pm

You can pick up a set of the acne-free line if you want a comparable routine with store bought products. i find it funny that people want to follow his regimen but not his products. There's a saying that says anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Acne-Free is certainly not comparable to Dan's regimen, and such suggestions are unhelpful to those who are seeking information about the regimen.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/15/2012 3:31 pm

No store products are comparable to Dan's products - that's the point. I think it's very helpful.

MemberMember
(@buckeye8084)

Posted : 08/15/2012 4:25 pm

No store products are comparable to Dan's products - that's the point. I think it's very helpful.

You said acne free line was comparable which it is not and then say in another post there are no comparable products. Huh?

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/15/2012 4:28 pm

Comparable routine... I never said comparable products.

MemberMember
(@buckeye8084)

Posted : 08/15/2012 4:33 pm

Comparable routine... I never said comparable products.

what's the difference?

MemberMember
(@dave77nc)

Posted : 08/15/2012 5:47 pm

Eucerin Daily replenishin lotion is very close to the old formula ... it has enough glycering, has Vitamin E and B, and does not have that silly yellow stuff Dan threw in there that pretty much made it useless for most people, who have continuously asked to bring the old one back, but he does not care... its all about $$$$.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/15/2012 5:48 pm

A "routine" is made up of the steps - cleanse, moisturize, medicate. Products are the actual products used.

People want to do Dan's routine - i.e. follow his steps - but they don't want to buy the products that make his regimen work.

As the above poster noted, Eucerin would probably be my choice for a "store" brand. They used to have an acne line that was great. They discontinued it years ago. I've tried a couple of their moisturizers since then and wasn't as pleased, but I do believe Eucerin tries to put in less cloggers. I never tried Dan's new moisturizer. The old one was runny but didn't break me out.

I use Lumiplexion and have for over 20 years. I was fortunate to find it when I was going through acne and fortunate that her business went online when it came time for my daughters. The original name of the business was Acne Treatment Center. Not sure when the name changed, but it's been the same owner and same products since I was 19. Great, great stuff and all acne-friendly.

MemberMember
(@buckeye8084)

Posted : 08/16/2012 12:16 pm

i have bought ton's of dan's BP. I would be far more inclined to keep purchasing dan's products if shipping didn't cost a small country.

btw, acne-free products don't have a moisturizing component so they still aren't a comparable routine.

MemberMember
(@flyer17)

Posted : 08/16/2012 1:56 pm

You can probably find pretty close equivalents to the cleanser and moisturizer at the store (and this is what I like to do). The BP, however, is unlike any I've ever seen or used before...in a good way, of course.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/17/2012 6:45 am

Flyer, what products would those be that are comparable? Especially with Johnson & Johnson (Purpose, Clean & Clean, Aveeno, etc) coming out that their products have carcinogenic ingredients, and it will be several years before the adult versions are reformulated; that kind of narrows things down a bit I'm guessing.

Doesn't Dan have a $5 shipping plan for regular shipments?

MemberMember
(@skinnyjeans91)

Posted : 08/19/2012 3:59 pm

I appreciate all of your recommendations. Ripon10 I live by that quote, but I don't have a means to order something online like that.

The one thing I haven't been able to find was the gel based BP, only creams which is a bummer.

MemberMember
(@tim-van-rijswijk)

Posted : 08/28/2012 4:08 am

I am looking for an BP alternative as well. The costs are insane here in Europe. 1) the product itself 2) shipping costs (about 30 dollars for 2 products) 3) additional taxes also about 30 dollars. So the total cost was 120 dollars for 2 BP bottles which only last three weeks each because i have to treat my bacne.

I cant afford it..

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 08/28/2012 1:17 pm

Suggestions and tips for finding alternate products to do The Regimen. http://www.acne.org/acne-products-guide.html

While we feel that Dan's products are exceptional and the best bang for your buck, you can get results with alternate products if you can find appropriate ones.

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 08/28/2012 5:24 pm

It's a real struggle, trying to find good quality products. In the UK there are a few decent cleansers and moisturisers but there is no BP that is even comparable. Because the tubes are tiny and cost a fortune, complete rip off.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/28/2012 6:35 pm

For those not in the US, I can understand shipping costs. I would very much encourage you to find a local esthetician who specializes in acne. Look for one that manufacturers their own products rather than sells another company's products. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@oppataechuk)

Posted : 08/30/2012 12:26 pm

i'm using Benzac AC 2.5 BP as substitute for Dan's ..i've been in regimen for 5 weeks and it works wonders (: its water-base gel. just one small problem, it still balls up when u apply moisterizer, altho its a gel. i'm going to switch to PanOxyl 2.5 (gel) to see if it can be compare with benzac (;

as for moisturizer i use Neutrogena - Oil free moisture- combination skin. best moisturizer i've ever use! won't clog pores and wont leave ur face dry and wrinkled.

hope this helps.. i was struggling to find alternatives for dan's product too in the beginning,i thought if i use other products than dan's it would be less effective and the result would be slow. But after been on the regimen for just 5 weeks, using these products, i'm proud to say tht i'm clear ! with just 1 cyst acne remaining(before tht i hv 3-4 and TONNESS of blackheads and whiteheads tht just kip on developing into big ones).

i'd say products DOES NOT play a big role for getting clear in this regimen, rather than your habit and attitude towards it. you can never get clear even if u hv the BEST products formulated in hand and u take it for granted. eg picking and skipping bp as you think tht products will do ALL the work for you. With tht i'd say you're just wasting ur money and time.

MemberMember
(@mattewthomas21)

Posted : 01/04/2013 1:16 pm

I like the BP. But, have found the acne free line to be pretty close to Dan's. I would say that Dan's products are top notch. The one thing that is missing from his regimen is a good Vitamin B5 supplement. This has been the key to overcoming my issues in the long term. The one I recommend is clearskin B5. It is a liquid supplement but does wonders. You can buy it on www.clearskinb-5.com

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 02/28/2013 8:19 pm

I use Benzac ac 2.5% as well. It's the only great alternative I can get here in the Philippines. I am looking into ordering Dan's BP and having a friend from the US bring it home for me to lessen the cost of shipping.

I use Cetaphil as my cleanser and Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel as my moisturizer. I have been on this routine for a little over a month and my skin is feeling and looking so much better.

The first 3 weeks were the worst though, I wanted to quit so bad from all the BP side effects. It gets better though. :)

MemberMember
(@ladykadycurdy)

Posted : 03/04/2013 8:57 pm

Has anyone ever tried the Neutrogena "On-the-Spot" Acne Treatment to replace the Benzoyl Peroxide? I saw that is has 2.5% BP.

MemberMember
(@shherr)

Posted : 03/13/2013 4:09 am

On the spot clumps and I was annoyed with the size it comes in.

Dan's BP clumped like crazy with my moisturizers. Nothing seemed to mix well with it.

I like proactiv's repair lotion as my BP. Doesn't clump at all. If your mal has a kiosk or proactiv vending machine, you can get the repair lotion separately.

Walmart's equate has a knockoff of it that is sold separately for $4, but it's too runny for my liking. Target has a proactiv knockoff as well, but the parts aren't sold separately.