Notifications
Clear all

List The Things Acne Took Away From You....

MemberMember
(@ijustwantmylifeback123)

Posted : 08/12/2012 8:59 pm

Acne made me loose....

1. My career

2. My mates

3. Most of my family

4. My income

5. My good looks

6. My confidence

7. My self esteem

I could go on people may disagree with the made me part but the psychological effects and the embarrassment of this made me just give up on everything I could not phisicaly or mentally put my self through the shame of being seen like this and when your feeling that down about yourself and life you push the people you love away , I wrote this topic to find out what acne has mentally forced you to give up and what it has taken away from you , the only way to get all this back is to get rid of this bloody acne! Once that's gone my good looks will be back therefore my self esteem will be back followed by my confidence wich will lead me to getting my career back and having an income again , start socializing with my mates again and building relationships with my family wich I pushed away because of the way it makes me feel no acne = happy life again I can't wait :D now share your experiences ........

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 08/12/2012 9:08 pm

I got kicked out of navy boot camp for the united states navy because my anxiety was so bad because of my skin. My skin broke out 1 month before I was shipping out.

It took my life

MemberMember
(@quietjamie14)

Posted : 08/13/2012 12:50 am

Things I have let acne take from me:

1. Any chance of a romantic relationship now or in the future

2. Social life, to an extent

3. Confidence and self-esteem

4. My looks

Things I have refused to let acne take from me:

1. My career

2. My interest and calling in life

3. High academic achievements

4. Creativity

5. My dreams

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/13/2012 1:58 am

1. It's made my confidence and self-esteem nearly non-existent

2. It's affected how I view myself (and I have no idea if other people are seeing what I see when I look at me -if that makes sense...)

3. Social life - I do avoid going out (to events etc) a lot of the time because of my skin makes me more self-conscious about how I look and what others think of me. Also that most people my age want to go out drinking all the time - which isn't really in my personality to begin with but the fact that alcohol worsens my skin makes me avoid those situations more...

4. Not being in a relationship - and thinking that I never will be....

Confidence and self-esteem are the biggest things I think. I do believe that a lot of it comes down to our thinking. If we can change how we think, then acne wouldn't affect us to the same extent and it would be easier to cope with. Acne really hasn't taken these things from me, rather I've let acne have this effect over me and my life. I've said before that acne can't stop you from doing anything or from enjoying life - but as with most things, it's a lot easier said than done.

MemberMember
(@nfamousjade)

Posted : 08/13/2012 2:39 am

1. Self esteem

2. Confidence

Mainly those two, I look in the mirror when I have acne, and cant even fully look at myself. :( it makes me really sad. Because underneath it all I'm beautiful, we all are. Ppl dont understand how difficult it is to go through this every single day. Always worrying about your skin, or is this food gonna break me out or i should use this cause it can cause more acne. It just plain SUCKS!

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 08/13/2012 3:22 am

self dignity, self respect of corse self confidence, the chance to be happy about just being myself. and it's taken away my ability to function as a "normal" person. i'v forgeten what it feels like to go about the world carefree like i did as a kid, when i didn't have to worry about my appearance. i'd give almost anything to remember how it use to be...

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 08/13/2012 4:20 am

Acne took away my : -Happiness

-Girlfriend

-Friends and I'm always mad on my mom and family for nothing because I'm angry of my skin.

-Self confidence

-Time and money

And a lot more...I can't live 1 h without thinking about my bad acne...It sucks , I'm always angry and mad on everyone but the thurth is I'm mad at my self..hope accutane will end all this soon..

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/13/2012 1:04 pm

Pictures for memories of most of my adolescent life and early college.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 08/13/2012 1:37 pm

one word.. everything. lol.

MemberMember
(@manlycurls26)

Posted : 08/13/2012 4:19 pm

1. My nursing career

2. Confidence

3. Social life

4. My looks

5. Potential relationships

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 08/13/2012 5:34 pm

This thread is fucking sad. If someone who has never had acne or skin issue read this, they would be blown away.

We should get every person on this forum to write in this thread about what acne has taken from them, and we should publish it in a magazine or news paper or online and get it publicized so the general public knows what it's like for us sufferers.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/13/2012 5:57 pm

This thread is fucking sad. If someone who has never had acne or skin issue read this, they would be blown away.

We should get every person on this forum to write in this thread about what acne has taken from them, and we should publish it in a magazine or news paper or online and get it publicized so the general public knows what it's like for us sufferers.

That's one of the things that really bugs me about acne - that other people,who've never experienced consistent acne, have no idea about and can't understand the emotional / mental toll it can take on us - and that the mental effect of acne than hinders so many other aspects of our lives....

Also that they don't understand that so many of us will try nearly anything to see if it will help (with the acne). I'll even get comments from family who still insist 'it's a phase you'll grow out of' and more hurtful / ignorant comments about me trying 'weird' things like honey masks...And I get that it would appear odd to them, and that I do look ridiculous with honey on my face :P , but It'd help if they could keep comments like that to themselves...

MemberMember
(@rosybear)

Posted : 08/13/2012 8:34 pm

comfort and confidence for sure oh and soooo much money spent on useless products

Murph89 liked
MemberMember
(@michaelbrandon96)

Posted : 08/13/2012 10:15 pm

confidence, happiness, hopefullness, optimism, friendships, my health *at one point, social skills, self respect. It most importantly made me lose who i was/am

MemberMember
(@rosybear)

Posted : 08/13/2012 10:27 pm

That's one of the things that really bugs me about acne - that other people,who've never experienced consistent acne, have no idea about and can't understand the emotional / mental toll it can take on us - and that the mental effect of acne than hinders so many other aspects of our lives....

Also that they don't understand that so many of us will try nearly anything to see if it will help (with the acne). I'll even get comments from family who still insist 'it's a phase you'll grow out of' and more hurtful / ignorant comments about me trying 'weird' things like honey masks...And I get that it would appear odd to them, and that I do look ridiculous with honey on my face tongue.png , but It'd help if they could keep comments like that to themselves...

I totally agree! I hate that i can never tell my friends the real reason i dont want to go out. having a break out or simply not feeling good enough in my own skin is never a good enough excuse to give to someone who has never had acne. I hate that I have to carry a massive bag of facial care stuff with me everytime i sleepover a friends house (and bring it around to the party or show we are going to), and i have to know in advance everytime im sleeping over so i dont forget to bring it, and then my friends will always be mad at me for taking so long to wash my face...lol ...sorryyyyy

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/13/2012 11:19 pm

I totally agree! I hate that i can never tell my friends the real reason i dont want to go out. having a break out or simply not feeling good enough in my own skin is never a good enough excuse to give to someone who has never had acne. I hate that I have to carry a massive bag of facial care stuff with me everytime i sleepover a friends house (and bring it around to the party or show we are going to), and i have to know in advance everytime im sleeping over so i dont forget to bring it, and then my friends will always be mad at me for taking so long to wash my face...lol ...sorryyyyy

Yeah I know exactly what you mean! (unfortunately - but it's nice to know that your not the only one)

MemberMember
(@iwishihadclearskin)

Posted : 08/14/2012 12:58 am

The life i enjoyed living. The rest does not matter.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 08/14/2012 2:39 am

That's exactly what I'm doing..they ask me to go out and I say yeahhh , neah next time mabye... ACNE SUCKS, my friend with clear skin will never understand why i didn't go out with them , and in the future they will call me a pussy ...

MemberMember
(@ella27)

Posted : 08/14/2012 5:11 am

Also that they don't understand that so many of us will try nearly anything to see if it will help (with the acne). I'll even get comments from family who still insist 'it's a phase you'll grow out of' and more hurtful / ignorant comments about me trying 'weird' things like honey masks...And I get that it would appear odd to them, and that I do look ridiculous with honey on my face tongue.png , but It'd help if they could keep comments like that to themselves...

Indeed, its not easy for every to understand sometimes. I have a lot of friends who don't care about my skin, which is great! But they don't understand the anxiety and how something little is very big to a person so sensitive to it.

Acne made me loose....

1. My career

2. My mates

3. Most of my family

4. My income

5. My good looks

6. My confidence

7. My self esteem

I could go on people may disagree with the made me part but the psychological effects and the embarrassment of this made me just give up on everything I could not phisicaly or mentally put my self through the shame of being seen like this and when your feeling that down about yourself and life you push the people you love away , I wrote this topic to find out what acne has mentally forced you to give up and what it has taken away from you , the only way to get all this back is to get rid of this bloody acne! Once that's gone my good looks will be back therefore my self esteem will be back followed by my confidence wich will lead me to getting my career back and having an income again , start socializing with my mates again and building relationships with my family wich I pushed away because of the way it makes me feel no acne = happy life again I can't wait biggrin.png now share your experiences ........

Your job! Wow... I don't want to be nosy but Im curious on how that happened. It would be great for you to start seeing your family! No one loves you more than them and hopefully when you feel more loved you will feel more confident! :)

If anything acne made me lose the comfort of being outside without makeup. Its practically an addiction that I must have something on my face before going out or else I am highly uncomfortable. It makes me mad that all these girls can just prance out of their house while Im up early trying to look better.

Its also stressful, having to check your face constantly to make sure your makeup hasn't become cakey or your acne doesn't show. Acne has really gave me more anxiety.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/14/2012 5:42 am

- Happiness

- Hope

- Confidence

- Mental Health

- Self esteem

- Looks

- Friends

- Girls

- Social life

- Ability to leave the house

- Ability to live my life

All this in a month or 2. wow.

Basically my life.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 08/14/2012 10:21 am

My security, mostly. I used to get pimples sometimes and not care that much, but after my worst breakout a few months ago, I'm pretty obsessed with my skin. I spend way too much money on products that I most likely don't even need. I get distressed at a simple pimple cropping up, because I'm paranoid that my full-blown acne will return. I'm scared of getting deep scarring, even though I never scar, I only get PIH. It's just caused this paranoia in me that is not healthy, which is why I'm definitely seeking therapy once I start school. I'm tired of letting skin run my emotions and life.

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 08/14/2012 11:41 am

Acne never took anything away from me; the way I responded to it did. My response to acne was hide away because I was so insecure and lacking confidence in my appearance. I basically grew to dislike being me. That wasn't directly because of my acne, I just wasn't strong enough to hold my head up and battle on. Even with all I lost, I'll always maintain that it wasn't directly the fault of my experience with acne.

Long story short, because I wasn't strong enough to rise above it all, over the years I got fired from a job, I lost my friendships, I lost what little social skills I had, and I've never had the experience of girlfriends or relationships. On the other side of that though, I now have a job I'm happier with and I live in hope that one day the soppy romantic in me will meet someone special. It's not all bad. smile.png

MemberMember
(@skinnyjeans91)

Posted : 08/14/2012 12:08 pm

The only girl I ever loved.

MemberMember
(@billz7)

Posted : 08/18/2012 10:47 am

Deferring nursing training

social life

Going out Of the house

My busy fun lifestyle

Happiness

Confidence

intimate relationship

Positive attitude

Hopeful attitude

Humour

Attractiveness

MemberMember
(@lacydecay)

Posted : 08/18/2012 11:05 am

My sanity. Lol. Really.

Suffering awful with BDD. I havent left my house in over 2 years. Not even brave enough to step out in the garden. Which has lost me the majority of my friends - except one. I had to quit my job. Ive lost my enthusiam to do anything now.

A massive middle finger to bad skin. >:(