Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notoveryett

One Day I Will Wake Up With Clear Skin

Hi acne.org! I've been a member and a lurker of this site for way too long. I forgot the password for my old account(s) so I made a new one. Anyway, like everyone else, I have tried everything under the sun besides Accutane. My old, well-known dermatologist used to tease me with it.. long story but she is famous and unfortunately, only cares about her public appearances and money. I think she forgot why she became a dermatologist in the first place. In addition, I have facial hair and hyperpigmentation to go with the pimples.

I have been going to electrolysis since last March and I am still not close to done. I changed electrologists last June and my hair issue has been getting better. My endocrinologist increased my Spironolactone dosage to 200mg so my face is looking better. I have been on 100mg consistently since May 2012.

There are so many things I could write what I've done to my skin (including laser hair removal, etc), but the sides of my face now have little holes EVERYWHERE. They are either scarred pores and/or ice pick scars. The chin, the lower jaw area, EVERYWHERE. I'm waiting until tomorrow to post a decent picture.

I am finally writing this post because a little kid asked me at work today what I put the sides on my face. Normally, I'd brush it off, since I've had more comments I can handle, but not today. I've had facial hair AND acne since I was 11. I'm 22 and female. My bloodwork is normal..including testosterone. I used to be able to outgrow a male beard, but it is much better now.

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions? I will post pictures tomorrow. I am scared of laser because I had laser hair removal and it made the hair on my neck stronger.

I don't care anymore. I am also in NJ..if you know a good dermatologist, please let me know. I am so desperate, you cannot even fathom how low I have reached. :(

Hi acne.org! I've been a member and a lurker of this site for way too long. I forgot the password for my old account(s) so I made a new one. Anyway, like everyone else, I have tried everything under the sun besides Accutane. My old, well-known dermatologist used to tease me with it.. long story but she is famous and unfortunately, only cares about her public appearances and money. I think she forgot why she became a dermatologist in the first place. In addition, I have facial hair and hyperpigmentation to go with the pimples.

I have been going to electrolysis since last March and I am still not close to done. I changed electrologists last June and my hair issue has been getting better. My endocrinologist increased my Spironolactone dosage to 200mg so my face is looking better. I have been on 100mg consistently since May 2012.

There are so many things I could write what I've done to my skin (including laser hair removal, etc), but the sides of my face now have little holes EVERYWHERE. They are either scarred pores and/or ice pick scars. The chin, the lower jaw area, EVERYWHERE. I'm waiting until tomorrow to post a decent picture.

I am finally writing this post because a little kid asked me at work today what I put the sides on my face. Normally, I'd brush it off, since I've had more comments I can handle, but not today. I've had facial hair AND acne since I was 11. I'm 22 and female. My bloodwork is normal..including testosterone. I used to be able to outgrow a male beard, but it is much better now.

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions? I will post pictures tomorrow. I am scared of laser because I had laser hair removal and it made the hair on my neck stronger.

I don't care anymore. I am also in NJ..if you know a good dermatologist, please let me know. I am so desperate, you cannot even fathom how low I have reached. sad.png

chk out dr. boss in nj

Dont worry its not just you,

I notice on alot of girls who forget to shave for a little while they grow hair, even though its noticible i honestly dont care at all.

For acne, I think because you have had it for so long I think accutane might be your only saving grace.

Good luck

Have you tried going on birth control? The kind of pill with antiandrogenic effects is supposed to help with acne and problematic hair growth. My acne went completely away while on the pill, but I wanted to find a 'healthier' way to cure it besides taking synthetic hormones that gave me some side effects (constant PMS, no sex drive etc). But nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to try it if you haven't already. I do really miss how good my skin was while on it, nothing else has worked nowhere near as well (I've tried everything but accutane).

Although acne does usually come back after you go off it, so in this sense accutane might be a better option. Good luck smile.png

Edited by austra

Sorry for the delayed response everyone. I spoke too soon about dealing with my acne scars. I had a couple of big breakouts since I last made this post so I realized my energy and time must be spent completely clearing my skin first. I'm still on Spironolactone and it is helping me. My skin is getting smoother and I think all the gunk underneath my skin is coming out (explains the random bad break outs..). I'm seeing my endocrinologist in January so maybe he will add birth control then!

I tried for years to get a dermatologist to prescribe me Accutane but for some reason no one will. I don't get it. My skin is so damaged now and it would have been saved if I had started Accutane years ago. My skin is also severely hyperpigmented at the moment, which sometimes makes it seem worse than it actually is.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any input on the products at the body shop. I cannot use any products with oil so all the skincare lines besides the ones with seaweed are out. Perhaps using those products will help with breakouts and make my hyperpigmentation and holes in my skin look better?

Edited by notoveryett

Yes, I have and every doctor I have been to has not found anything wrong. I am hoping in a year I will be completely hair free, but not holding my breath. According to all the doctors, it's due to genetics. I recently got a blloo

I have found a new electrologist and I'm going for 2 hours every 3 weeks. (This is compared to 2 hours weekly for 8 months, then 1 hours for another 7 months.) I should probably go more frequently but my skin needs a break. I have gone through multiple laser treatments by a well known dermatologist with no success.

I impulsively bought two products today to help with my hyperpigmentation, scars, and blemishes.

Glycolic Formulations- Moisturizer with 15% glycolic

Techaskin Copper Peptide Skin Therapy- Advanced Anti-Age Serum with ceramides and Multi Vitamin complex

Looks like I have to return the copper peptide serum.. I didn't realize it might cause hair growth. I spent way too much money and time on electrolysis to even think about risking it. I am open to any suggestions, thank you!

Edited by notoveryett

Hey there. I feel your frustrations. I also am female with facial hair issues - however laser hair removal was successful for me. Took me probably 17 treatments over ten years. I cannot imagine why it would increase hair growth? Did they shave down the area before treatment? I wonder if this gave the illusion that the laser caused increased growth when it grew back darker after shaving..

Also curious about bloodwork you've had done. My testosterone comes back on the low end of normal. I assume it must be the DHT, the free testosterone, that is causing it which I haven't had tested. Or I'm just sensitive?

I want to ask a new derm on Thursday for spiro to deal with lingering breakouts. Did you have an initial breakout with Spiro? I cannot deal with that on top of the scarring I already have.

I'm glad laser worked for you!! Laser can increase growth sometimes on the face.. I think a lot of it depends on the skill of the provider (like electrolysis). I had a severe problem before laser, but I could have sworn the hair on my neck grew stronger. I could no longer pluck everything because there was too much hair & they were too strong to be yanked out no matter how much I tried. I had to pluck and shave. It was horrible. sad.png I changed electrologists a couple of times but I finally found one that is awesome!!

I got tested for free testosterone and it was also on the low end BUT I was also on a low dose of Spiro at that time. My levels of FSH, LH were tested along with my thyroid function. Everything is within normal range. (I got tested for a few other things I think but I do not have the report with me at school.)

I have had an initial breakout with Tazorac back in the day and I would consider THAT an initial breakout. With Spiro, I'd get a few random breakouts where one side of my face would have a couple of HUGE pimples. They weren't whiteheads and they were flesh colored but I couldn't do anything about them. Eventually they go away on their own and my face is left a lot smoother. Last time that happened was few days after I made this post. My face is a lot smoother and A LOT better than it was before- no more cysts & the oiliness is finally under control. I no longer have an oily mess to deal with by the middle of the day. However, I do have blackheads, small clogged pores underneath my skin that I need to get rid of. I am also badly scarred at the moment.. sigh sad.png

Edited by notoveryett

I'm glad laser worked for you!! Laser can increase growth sometimes on the face.. I think a lot of it depends on the skill of the provider (like electrolysis). I had a severe problem before laser, but I could have sworn the hair on my neck grew stronger. I could no longer pluck everything because there was too much hair & they were too strong to be yanked out no matter how much I tried. I had to pluck and shave. It was horrible. sad.png I changed electrologists a couple of times but I finally found one that is awesome!!

I got tested for free testosterone and it was also on the low end BUT I was also on a low dose of Spiro at that time. My levels of FSH, LH were tested along with my thyroid function. Everything is within normal range. (I got tested for a few other things I think but I do not have the report with me at school.)

I have had an initial breakout with Tazorac back in the day and I would consider THAT an initial breakout. With Spiro, I'd get a few random breakouts where one side of my face would have a couple of HUGE pimples. They weren't whiteheads and they were flesh colored but I couldn't do anything about them. Eventually they go away on their own and my face is left a lot smoother. Last time that happened was few days after I made this post. My face is a lot smoother and A LOT better than it was before- no more cysts & the oiliness is finally under control. I no longer have an oily mess to deal with by the middle of the day. However, I do have blackheads, small clogged pores underneath my skin that I need to get rid of. I am also badly scarred at the moment.. sigh sad.png

Hey i have a question how long did it take with spiro for your cystics to clear up? iv been on spiro for 2 months now i started with 50mg and its been about 10 days im upped to 100mg and i still dnt see a decrease in cystic i feel like i have more than i did befour spiro :(???? an answer would really help me as im emotionally drawn over this ! thank youu

Melinda- I had severe cystic acne when I was younger but it faded away throughout the years. I'd break out in cysts here and there but it wasn't a frequent occurance. I feel like with all medications it gets worse before it gets better. Of course, your medical doctor will know if you are reacting well.

Scarlettbuzz- I have had acne for 11 years. I know this information already but thank you for sharing. If acne could just be cured by those steps, I would not have severely damaged skin with ice pick scars and hyperpigmentation at the age of 22.