Notifications
Clear all

Hydrating Very Clog Prone Dry Skin.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/09/2012 6:35 am

How can I hydrate/moisturise my skin when all moisturizers seem to clog my pores.

My skin is so seriously dry that lines are appearing all over my face im so upset. under my eyes are going very wrinkled and im only 21.

Every pore is getting more and more clogged, blackheads, whiteheads, small pimples, my face is a mixture of everything, as well as been extremely dehydrated all the time so its just not healing at all.

Im at very rock bottom here. my life has come to a standstill and in so desperate for help.. =(

MemberMember
(@brian1987)

Posted : 08/09/2012 8:01 am

heyhey don't give up! anyway are you currently on any medications or topicals?

Can give ceraVe a try. Their cleanser and moisturiser are really good. I'm currently using Andalou toner( free of irritating ingredients eg alcohol) and ceraVe moisturiser at night.

I do take multivitamins and fish oil everyday too!

Please visit a derm if need be!Do not wait till when scars formed and you regret it later. Take action ASAP!Most importantly, do not pick at your pimples, cleanse 2-3 times a day, blot with a tissue lightly if need be, drink adequate water, exercise at least 2 times a week, eat lots of veggies and fruits, and sleep early !

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/09/2012 8:56 am

heyhey don't give up! anyway are you currently on any medications or topicals?

Can give ceraVe a try. Their cleanser and moisturiser are really good. I'm currently using Andalou toner( free of irritating ingredients eg alcohol) and ceraVe moisturiser at night.

I do take multivitamins and fish oil everyday too!

Please visit a derm if need be!Do not wait till when scars formed and you regret it later. Take action ASAP!Most importantly, do not pick at your pimples, cleanse 2-3 times a day, blot with a tissue lightly if need be, drink adequate water, exercise at least 2 times a week, eat lots of veggies and fruits, and sleep early !

Thanks for all the good info, Im going to see a dermatologist tomorrow so that might give me a bit more to think about, though I dont hold much hope too be honest.

Im not currently using anything really, because I just havent got a clue anymore, Ive tried so many different things and every one of them has made my skin either drier or more clogged so its just getting worse all the time. Im literally scared to put anything in my face because of all the bad experiences ive had with different products, and I havent just been trying any old method, ive been researching it all thouroughly first. My skin is in desperate need of moisture though so I need to do something, but everything I do seems to have a bad consequence. =/

I dont seem to be able to win whatever I do.

MemberMember
(@brian1987)

Posted : 08/09/2012 10:45 am

eh, may i ask what products are you currently using then?

can probably take a picture of the products and their ingredients and post it here/pm me probably?cause I'm actually living in Singapore, so products here and there are quite different.lol.

you can start by not unnecessary stress to yoursel(stress contributes to acne formation too). stop being too self-conscious , and just be happy!I know it'll take some time getting to, but I'm sure you can do it!

of course, stop taking any dairy products, and avoid eating too much sweet stuff!

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/09/2012 10:57 am

eh, may i ask what products are you currently using then?

can probably take a picture of the products and their ingredients and post it here/pm me probably?cause I'm actually living in Singapore, so products here and there are quite different.lol.

you can start by not unnecessary stress to yoursel(stress contributes to acne formation too). stop being too self-conscious , and just be happy!I know it'll take some time getting to, but I'm sure you can do it!

of course, stop taking any dairy products, and avoid eating too much sweet stuff!

Im not using anything at all really, just water, and some face wash every few days. which I know is not really the best option but im just sick to death of every products making my skin worse. Its asif I have every single skin problem going on with my face all at once and something that would be effective for one of the problems will make another problem worse.

For example if I use a moisturizer to lock in the skins natural moisture, after a few days I will realize its clogging my pores up even more.

If I use a face wash to clean my skin it gets even more dry and dehydrated if this is humanly possible.

Also I badly need to exfoliate the dead skin cells that are contributing to blocked pores but this just makes it even more dry.

It seems my skin type doesnt exist.

I have drastically changed the way I eat and even this has caused me even drier skin all over the body somehow, I must be missing out on some nutrients since stopping eating dairy, am and trying to figure out which vegetables to eat more of. but even if I do sort out my diet there is no chance of this reversing all the thousands of clogged pores everywhere so it wont do much.

Im sick to death of this too be honest =(

MemberMember
(@brian1987)

Posted : 08/09/2012 11:38 am

oh omg no wonder! washing it with a facial wash is a must!

anyway you'll be visiting your derm (today) right? do update me on the stuff that he/she gives you! Don't despair! Anyway i'm gonna sleep, it's midnight here, so probably morning for you?

Do let her suggest products /medicines for you! Can ask her regarding ceraVe(it's really a awesome product, though I normally have to order it through www.drugstore.com since Singapore doesn't sells it =.=)

I've been making my own B3 toner too and seriously I guess it's my lifesaver, since now my face is completely clear ,other than a persistently oily skin.ceraVe contains B3 , though they refused to tell me the exact percentage, stating it to be proprietary.Do update okie:)!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/09/2012 11:39 am

I would do an at home 10% salicylic acid peel (follow the directions exactly). http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0043RMSBK

Or get a 20% or 30% peel done at a reputable esthetician or dermatologist's office.

While I think diet changes and hormonal changes can stop the cycle of clogged pores,they won't relieve already clogged pores. Think of it like this...if you're clumsy and keep falling and scraping your knee, the obvious solution is to stop tripping...but that won't heal the cuts that you already have. Badly clogged pores need a band-aid to heal. Salicylic acid is the only acid that will get INSIDE the pore and dissolve the sebum.

Meanwhile, only wash your face gently once a day. Use CereVe hydrating cleanser, rub it in small circles, gently scrape off with a warm washcloth to get dead-skin buildup. Follow with CeraVe moisturizer. While this won't unclog your pores, it will start you on a good habit to maintain your skin after the peel.

MemberMember
(@tricky)

Posted : 08/09/2012 11:42 am

^^^ Also try adding a few drops of jojoba oil to moisturise your skin. It WONT clog your pores. It has really sorted out my dry skin.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/09/2012 12:41 pm

I would do an at home 10% salicylic acid peel (follow the directions exactly). http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0043RMSBK

Or get a 20% or 30% peel done at a reputable esthetician or dermatologist's office.

While I think diet changes and hormonal changes can stop the cycle of clogged pores,they won't relieve already clogged pores. Think of it like this...if you're clumsy and keep falling and scraping your knee, the obvious solution is to stop tripping...but that won't heal the cuts that you already have. Badly clogged pores need a band-aid to heal. Salicylic acid is the only acid that will get INSIDE the pore and dissolve the sebum.

Meanwhile, only wash your face gently once a day. Use CereVe hydrating cleanser, rub it in small circles, gently scrape off with a warm washcloth to get dead-skin buildup. Follow with CeraVe moisturizer. While this won't unclog your pores, it will start you on a good habit to maintain your skin after the peel.

I have tried so many different moisturizers that were all meant to be some of the best for not clogging pores and every single one of them did. My pores are so full of stuff already that everything must just literally keep piling on top, I can see how these products wouldnt clog pores for most people that have normal size and not many blocked ones but once they are as blocked as mine, EVERYTHING seems to just pile on top no matter if its comedogenic or not because they are all so blocked. Just making everything more clogged and worse.

Im sorry that it seems im so negative and I genuinely do appreciate your suggestions but honestly all of these products seem to make my skin more clogged after a few days.

I know salicylic acid is the products I need but without a moisturiser its far too drying.

I feel like im in a dead end and just dont know where to turn anymore. =(

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/09/2012 2:50 pm

I have tried so many different moisturizers that were all meant to be some of the best for not clogging pores and every single one of them did. My pores are so full of stuff already that everything must just literally keep piling on top, I can see how these products wouldnt clog pores for most people that have normal size and not many blocked ones but once they are as blocked as mine, EVERYTHING seems to just pile on top no matter if its comedogenic or not because they are all so blocked. Just making everything more clogged and worse.

Im sorry that it seems im so negative and I genuinely do appreciate your suggestions but honestly all of these products seem to make my skin more clogged after a few days.

I know salicylic acid is the products I need but without a moisturiser its far too drying.

I feel like im in a dead end and just dont know where to turn anymore. =(

A peel is not the same as a cleanser or a moisturizer. It's something you do once or twice to unclog your pores dramatically. It will have much better results than any cleanser you've tried with a tiny bit of salicylic acid in it. Afterwards you can moisturize and stop your skin from being so dry. After a few peels your skin should be unclogging so that your moisturizer can do what it's supposed to.

After the peel, you might want to look into the oil cleansing method. It sounds unintuitive, but in really dry skin like yours, cleansing with oil can both moisturize AND unclog your pores.

Ill admit that I was pretty skeptical about the Oil Cleansing

method. I have really uneven skin (thanks Dad), so the idea of rubbing oil into the already oily areas on my face seemed like a bad idea. But

my mom was insistent that I try it, to the point that she mixed the

oils for me, gave me some washcloths and some headbands, and basically

demanded that I take them with me.

Im not one to try and argue with my mother when she has her mind set

on something, so I went home and dutifully tried it. At the time, I

was having some serious dryness around my mouth and nose thanks to one

of the store-bought acne washes I had tried a couple days before. And

I was shocked to see that ONE treatment with the oils essentially

fixed all that dryness. After that, I was way more inclined to keep

using it.

I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method for a couple weeks now and

I am thrilled with the results. My face is clearer, my skin is

healthier, and my skin tone is way more even no more oily or dry

patches. I have been dabbing some Tea Tree Oil on my more problematic

blemishes, and they start healing almost immediately.

If you are considering trying this method for a clearer face, I would

definitely recommend it. And the best part is its SUPER cheap, which

is awesome for the acne-prone, but broke, college student.

I notice with OCM that after about a week my blackheads will start coming out on their own. When you have dry skin sometimes you need just the right kind of oil to help your skin get rid of its own impurities. Basically your skin is so dry that everything just gets wedged into your pores. If you do try OCM, please use 75% jojoba oil/25% castor oil. There are other oils you can use, but jojoba/castor have the highest success rate.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/09/2012 5:15 pm

Thanks =)

I understand about the salicylic acid, Ive already bought a 2% liquid one. Which isnt very strong I know but if used every night should start to make an impact.

The problem is though I cant find a cleanser that isnt drying or a moisturizer that doesnt clog my pores, and my face is way too dry for the salicylic acid without a moisturizer.

I need to sort this out desperately as not using any products is meaning my skin is just clogging up more. Im so worried to be honest and cant see a way out.

Also ive researched the OCM loads but am just not ready to try it at the moment due to all the horror stories about it totally ruining peoples skins. It is something I may have to consider though.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 08/09/2012 11:45 pm

consume essential fatty acids(alpha linolenic omega 3 and linoleic omega 6) with a salad for full carotenoid absorption and distribution to the skin surfaces. most salad dressings are made with soybean oil which is the second best source of essential fatty acids next to walnuts. suggestion,start with spinach, carrots and tomatoes.

there is NO OTHER WAY to absorb carotenoids, without combining them with essential fatty acids.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/10/2012 4:46 am

consume essential fatty acids(alpha linolenic omega 3 and linoleic omega 6) with a salad for full carotenoid absorption and distribution to the skin surfaces. most salad dressings are made with soybean oil which is the second best source of essential fatty acids next to walnuts. suggestion,start with spinach, carrots and tomatoes.

there is NO OTHER WAY to absorb carotenoids, without combining them with essential fatty acids.

Thanks, thats good info. Ive really been looking into the diet aspect and already started eating walnuts and salmon and alot more fruit and vegetables.

Could you name some more of the best foods that contain these types of fats if possible? So I can build up a better understanding, I would be very greatful.

Also some of the best fruit and vegetables to eat for health, hydrated skin. Thanks very much.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 08/14/2012 8:54 pm

stay clear of CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer. It will do nothing but clog them even more. THey are thick and goopy. Try wiping your face down with a mix of green tea and water or ACV and water. Make sure you really dilute the ACV mixture or it will be too drying. Also check out www.gardenofwisdom.com

their products are really good and calming. also take fish oil if you can tolerate it. I cant as it ends up giving me welt like bumps every time I try it. good luck.

I have the same skin as you and mine is a constant work in progress.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/15/2012 4:12 am

stay clear of CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer. It will do nothing but clog them even more. THey are thick and goopy. Try wiping your face down with a mix of green tea and water or ACV and water. Make sure you really dilute the ACV mixture or it will be too drying. Also check out www.gardenofwisdom.com

their products are really good and calming. also take fish oil if you can tolerate it. I cant as it ends up giving me welt like bumps every time I try it. good luck.

I cant use any thing to try to cure acne really because its all too drying. My skin is so dry and sore already without and kind of moisture I cant even use a cleanser really. I havent got a clue where to start any more ive researched everything and now am just too scared to put anything on my face.

The day I started to look on the internet to try and cure the few small acne I had is the day my life was ruined. FACT

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/15/2012 6:51 am

Good luck with your skin by the way. I hope you manage to sort it out, Ive already got that 2% bha thats meant to be good for unblocking pores but its so drying and with no moisturization I just dont know what to do. =/

What moisturizer do you use?

MemberMember
(@mwilso)

Posted : 08/15/2012 7:25 am

Honestly, the only way you're going to find something that works for you is by trying it.

4153456456 people on here could swear hand to god that x, y, z works and it could be just awful for your skin as soon as you try it. That's not to say that x, y, and z aren't great, it's just that it won't work for everyone.

You are clearly unhappy while not using any products, so I think you should probably pick one and start there.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/15/2012 7:48 am

Honestly, the only way you're going to find something that works for you is by trying it.

4153456456 people on here could swear hand to god that x, y, z works and it could be just awful for your skin as soon as you try it. That's not to say that x, y, and z aren't great, it's just that it won't work for everyone.

You are clearly unhappy while not using any products, so I think you should probably pick one and start there.

What you are saying is 100% true.

I do realize this is what needs to be done here, but I am just so scared to try anything, I know that I need to do something, I really do.

I know it will never get better otherwise.

Everything that has happened has really damaged me.

I think mentally it is near enough impossible for me to try anything on my skin, I need to get past this.

MemberMember
(@mwilso)

Posted : 08/15/2012 7:57 am

I do realize this is what needs to be done here, but I am just so scared to try anything, I know that I need to do something, I really do.

I think mentally it is near enough impossible for me to try anything on my skin, I need to get past this.

Well, yeah! No one wants to be the guinea pig. But, you're the only one who can figure out what works for your skin.

I love trying new products, and I would say that my biggest challenge has been only using one new thing at a time and giving it awhile. That's something I would advise you to do as well while finding your routine, it will give you the most clear idea what's working and what's not.

Start with a moisturizer (which ever one is at the top of your list) and give your skin some time to repair, then you can start using your 2% BHA and address the clogs.

I also agree with Green Gables that the salicylic peels are good idea too. It will have an immediate effect and then you can maintain it after with the 2%.

These things seem to take time for everyone.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/15/2012 8:07 am

Well, yeah! No one wants to be the guinea pig. But, you're the only one who can figure out what works for your skin.

I love trying new products, and I would say that my biggest challenge has been only using one new thing at a time and giving it awhile. That's something I would advise you to do as well while finding your routine, it will give you the most clear idea what's working and what's not.

Start with a moisturizer (which ever one is at the top of your list) and give your skin some time to repair, then you can start using your 2% BHA and address the clogs.

I also agree with Green Gables that the salicylic peels are good idea too. It will have an immediate effect and then you can maintain it after with the 2%.

These things seem to take time for everyone.

Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words. your advice is good.

Its not thatjust a case that I dont want to be a guinea though. Its that ive tried a few things that have seem to have damaged my face beyond repair to the point I will never get the skin back I once had.

Its been the single worse experience in my life, Its caused me a severe depression, ive given up leaving the house and anything else.

Its took a toll on my life to the point in which im suffering extreme sadness almost 24 hours a day and am no longer in control of my thoughts or actions.

This may seem stupid to some people but obviously im not strong enough to cope with this. People can judge me for this all they like but I just want my life back. =(

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/15/2012 4:56 pm

If you feel your skin in simular to mine, what moisturizer do you use? so I can have a better idea of what might be suitable for my skin.

Thank You. =)

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 08/15/2012 8:42 pm

i use products by the website I mentioned. People with our skin type need more oils to penetrate otherwise the lotions and creams just sit there and continually clog our skin and never fully hydrate. Hemp Oil is good for this. I also like their gentle cleansing gel but it doesnt remove makeup well.

MemberMember
(@monkeybeanmagic)

Posted : 08/29/2012 8:47 pm

you can't really have dry skin and simultaneously suffer from blackheads as blackheads are the direct result of a excess oil. You probably have combination skin and an oily t-zone. Anyway, I would recommend trying Neutrogena's 3 in 1 2% salicylic acid coupled with Neutrogena's Anti-Wrinkle SPF 15 moisturizer. I do this myself and found it has reduced the number of blackheads. I too find that pretty much every moisturizer out there exacerbates my blackhead/clogged pore problem.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/30/2012 2:23 pm

you can't really have dry skin and simultaneously suffer from blackheads as blackheads are the direct result of a excess oil. You probably have combination skin and an oily t-zone. Anyway, I would recommend trying Neutrogena's 3 in 1 2% salicylic acid coupled with Neutrogena's Anti-Wrinkle SPF 15 moisturizer. I do this myself and found it has reduced the number of blackheads. I too find that pretty much every moisturizer out there exacerbates my blackhead/clogged pore problem.

Some people have dry skin that just seems unable to clear out its own pores. If this is the case you can still get tons of blackheads, they just develop very slowly from miniscule amounts of oil. I actually find that when my skin is moisturized, my skin is better able to keep itself unclogged. This is why OCM works for many people. We actually have too little oil, not too much. A dry pore will catch everything in it.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/30/2012 2:39 pm

Some people have dry skin that just seems unable to clear out its own pores. If this is the case you can still get tons of blackheads, they just develop very slowly from miniscule amounts of oil. I actually find that when my skin is moisturized, my skin is better able to keep itself unclogged. This is why OCM works for many people. We actually have too little oil, not too much. A dry pore will catch everything in it.

My skin does get oily 7/8 hours after washing, but still feels tight and dehydrated underneath. I dont know how to describe it really other than say its a mess.

I have no idea what to use.