Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had acne since i was 12. But for the last 15 years it has been mild and sometimes moderate.

Lately my acne is severe. (I know it could still be even worse) I have never experienced this kind of pain in my life. Emotionally and physically.

How do I go to work and face everybody that sees me with normally clear skin, to such horrible acne and redness? Everyone keeps saying "oh people don't care they love you either way" well maybe but you know they're thinking "omg what the hell happened to her face?" I know everyone sees it. they don't look me in the eyes anymore. They stare at my zits.

So what do I do? I'm sick and tired of crying over this. I need to learn to accept my face now. How do I go to the mirror and not want to tear my face off? How do you guys stay motivated and living? Rather than hide in the house til it's over? I pick my skin and I know it makes it look 10 times worse, but I can't walk around with 10 whiteheads along with a thousand other red bumps. But it's like whack a mole. I pop them and a few hours later there's more to pop. I could sit and pop my face all day long and still have more to pop tomorrow. ok that's gross. sorry.

Edited by whatthekell

I've had acne since i was 12. But for the last 15 years it has been mild and sometimes moderate.

Lately my acne is severe. (I know it could still be even worse) I have never experienced this kind of pain in my life. Emotionally and physically.

How do I go to work and face everybody that sees me with normally clear skin, to such horrible acne and redness? Everyone keeps saying "oh people don't care they love you either way" well maybe but you know they're thinking "omg what the hell happened to her face?" I know everyone sees it. they don't look me in the eyes anymore. They stare at my zits.

So what do I do? I'm sick and tired of crying over this. I need to learn to accept my face now. How do I go to the mirror and not want to tear my face off? How do you guys stay motivated and living? Rather than hide in the house til it's over? I pick my skin and I know it makes it look 10 times worse, but I can't walk around with 10 whiteheads along with a thousand other red bumps. But it's like whack a mole. I pop them and a few hours later there's more to pop. I could sit and pop my face all day long and still have more to pop tomorrow. ok that's gross. sorry.

How do I stay motivated and keep living? I don't. To be honest. I'm at rock bottom with my life. I give you major props to gather the courage and go to work. Ive bailed on 3 interviews bc of my skin. I may have body dysmorphic disorder, but having skin issues is fucked. I unfortunately don't have any encouraging words, because I myself am struggling to find those words. I wish I could hug everyone on here to know we are all not alone

Edited by Murph89

=( I also have body dysmorphic disorder. But when I was first diagnosed, my acne wasn't THAT bad. So it did look like I was imagining it. Now... it's obvious I have acne. But I guess the part where I'm obsessed with the condition of my skin and let it interfere with my entire life and mood...that's where BDD comes in.

I would love to take off work for the next half of the year. But I have to pay my bills and this is my first year in my career and I'd hate to throw away everything I worked so hard for.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to show up for an interview. I know I wouldn't. I just luckily already had the job when this happened. My boss just got a case of acne too. But he grew his beard to hide it. His isn't nearly as bad as mine. (as far as I can tell). he actually suggested proactiv to me the other day hahaha. Not in a mean way. We were actually just talking about acne. He's so new to this shit though that he thinks proactiv is helpful. Thank you for the support. It's helpful knowing I'm not the only one dealing with this. Hugs back!

Hi: I just wanted to say that I think you are brave already...sometimes we forget whats reallly really important. Yes, I know our face is really important but it's how we see ourselves. I have been suffering with acne for a lonnnng time since I was 12 I am now 30..yikes! At first of course I was self concious and yadayadayada....now I try to treat it as best as I can, I pray to god ( Sincerely), I try to make myself a better person and I just move on. I look people in the eye and I myself make fun of me and my acne. I act like I don't care. Now, everyone just jokes with me. I do get facials and peels, I dont wear makeup nothing not even eye makeup just chapstick, I exercise, I eat super healthy..( except for chocolate chip cookies..my weakness) I don't dye my hair..basically plain jane..I just try to be myself..and I like myself much better and I see that everyone likes me much better...sooo in short take some time and just really gather yourself together..stick around with the people who do really love you and show it and just eliminate things or people who don't do you any good and youll see how much happier you will be! I wish you the ultimate best and will pray for you! P.S I also travel alot and have seen great things and met great people!

thank you so much for your words of encouragement =) i read your blog yesterday and thought it was really funny. (the part about running with the hot wind in your face and people staring at how red your face is) lol. i was on the regimen for 8 months and can totally relate.

i am really lucky that i have such a supportive family and boyfriend. i am surrounded by people who are so good to me and could care less about my skin. but for some reason that doesn't sink in and i still let it bother me. but i have to get used to this at least for a while because it's not going to go away over night.

good luck on the regimen! i hope it works for you. keep me updated on your progress and we can be each other's support system =) thank you for the prayers!

Dear you Must know something if u want someone like you .. u Must like your self in first

Not hard on yourself ..

You can make it yourself beautiful in the eyes of people if you want

In my city we say When you look someone problem then

you see your problem is small

The point

You are not the worst.. there someone worse than you

First off, you need to stop popping immediately. This is the #1 thing to do right now. Everytime you pop, sure you're getting the pus out, but what's left behind? Blood, inflammation and redness. Which looks so much worse than a few whiteheads. Keep faith and let the whiteheads run their course. They are not permanent and will eventually drain themselves, or dry up and flake off. At the worst they may turn huge, yellow or even get inflamed. But they're nothing compared to a face full of scabs.

Also, make sure you have a proper exfoliating component in your routine to prevent whiteheads from forming in the first place. You need to clear out those pores and make sure they stay clear of clogging cellular debris. Good luck.

How do I stay motivated and keep living? I don't. To be honest. I'm at rock bottom with my life. I give you major props to gather the courage and go to work. Ive bailed on 3 interviews bc of my skin. I may have body dysmorphic disorder, but having skin issues is fucked. I unfortunately don't have any encouraging words, because I myself am struggling to find those words. I wish I could hug everyone on here to know we are all not alone

Im sorry to hear how your both feeling, I Know exactly how it is, Im at rock bottom here too. I wish I could offer advice also but along with you im at the stage where leaving the house has become virtually impossible for me. Just try to keep going and try to work out the reason why your skin is going like this in the first place, like diet,lifestyle etc... Although this its very hard. Its so hard to find the positives and for me there just doesnt seem to be any. Its took every ounce of confidence and every single bit of my personality. Ive tried changing everything and ironically every change Ive made has made my skin alot worse. I would say try to concentrate on other things, but for me thats impossible also. I seem to spend my life searching for answers that dont exist. If someone told me 3 months ago I would be sat reading through articles about skincare, and on acne websites, 12 hours a day I would have said what the fuck are you talking about.

Stay Strong....

Edited by Need Solutions

First off, you need to stop popping immediately. This is the #1 thing to do right now. Everytime you pop, sure you're getting the pus out, but what's left behind? Blood, inflammation and redness. Which looks so much worse than a few whiteheads. Keep faith and let the whiteheads run their course. They are not permanent and will eventually drain themselves, or dry up and flake off. At the worst they may turn huge, yellow or even get inflamed. But they're nothing compared to a face full of scabs.

Also, make sure you have a proper exfoliating component in your routine to prevent whiteheads from forming in the first place. You need to clear out those pores and make sure they stay clear of clogging cellular debris. Good luck.

ugh I know everybody tells me not to pop them but i really can't stop. i refuse to walk around like that. maybe if it was just one i could handle it. i've done that before. but when there's more than 5? no. i'd rather get the gunk out before it turns into a painful cyst. yea the scabs blow. but i can't focus at work when people are staring at my whiteheads =X i'm on an antibiotic right now and it's cleaning out my pores. they're very deep and it's going to take a while but i am halfway there.

Im sorry to hear how your both feeling, I Know exactly how it is, Im at rock bottom here too. I wish I could offer advice also but along with you im at the stage where leaving the house has become virtually impossible for me. Just try to keep going and try to work out the reason why your skin is going like this in the first place, like diet,lifestyle etc... Although this its very hard. Its so hard to find the positives and for me there just doesnt seem to be any. Its took every ounce of confidence and every single bit of my personality. Ive tried changing everything and ironically every change Ive made has made my skin alot worse. I would say try to concentrate on other things, but for me thats impossible also. I seem to spend my life searching for answers that dont exist. If someone told me 3 months ago I would be sat reading through articles about skincare, and on acne websites, 12 hours a day I would have said what the fuck are you talking about.

Stay Strong....

yep me too! it's all i think about. i have wasted so much of my life away dealing with my skin. at times when my face was clear, i was still consumed with obsession that it would come back, and doing all kinds of things to prevent it. i never lived a care free life in regards to my skin. after my antibiotic clears all this shit out of my face i will be starting accutane. and i'm praying to god that this is the end for me. i can't take anymore. it is hard to concentrate on anything else. i love to read and i haven't picked up a book in weeks. at least i'm forced to go to work. i will not lose my job over this. but even then, any chance i get, i'm going in the bathroom to make sure nothing is sprouting up. and running home to clean my face. =( hang in there

ugh I know everybody tells me not to pop them but i really can't stop. i refuse to walk around like that. maybe if it was just one i could handle it. i've done that before. but when there's more than 5? no. i'd rather get the gunk out before it turns into a painful cyst. yea the scabs blow. but i can't focus at work when people are staring at my whiteheads =X i'm on an antibiotic right now and it's cleaning out my pores. they're very deep and it's going to take a while but i am halfway there.

Stay Strong....

yep me too! it's all i think about. i have wasted so much of my life away dealing with my skin. at times when my face was clear, i was still consumed with obsession that it would come back, and doing all kinds of things to prevent it. i never lived a care free life in regards to my skin. after my antibiotic clears all this shit out of my face i will be starting accutane. and i'm praying to god that this is the end for me. i can't take anymore. it is hard to concentrate on anything else. i love to read and i haven't picked up a book in weeks. at least i'm forced to go to work. i will not lose my job over this. but even then, any chance i get, i'm going in the bathroom to make sure nothing is sprouting up. and running home to clean my face. =( hang in there

Sorry to hear about your story, Its terrible the psycological effects that these things can have on people, I know how it feels to have this take over your life. Hope yours starts to get better soon. there really doesnt seem to be enough been done to find better alternatives to curing these types of things.

It seems if you go the the doctors or a dermatologist they will just prescribe you antibiotics or some cream that will dry out your skin and make it look even worse. I dont think they seem interested in getting to the route of the problem, they seem to just want to try and make it go away for a few months or cover it up.

If there were more acne clinics that were geared towards helping people find the cause of their particular skin problem weather it is problems with the diet or using wrong products etc... Also sorting people out with a good regime of products that are suited to their particular skin type, wont irritate the skin too much, will keep the skin adaquately hydrated and slowly start to reduce the problems with peoples skin.

Unfortunately it seems that very few places like this actually exist and a dermatologist would rather just say heres some tablets take these and see how it looks in a few months, this isnt good enough in my opinion. The other options seem to be either to pour a tub of acid on your face or melt peoples faces with lazers and stuff and this cant be good in the longrun.

It seems for alot of people there is no real answers out there, only more questions.

i agree. this is the 4th dermatologist i've been to. every time i go, the problem gets worse before it gets better. i went without a dermatologist for years but now i'm at my wits end and clueless what to do, so i had no choice but to go to one again. i think there are scientists out there who know how to fix the problem, but they won't release it because pharmacies are making so much money on acne products. oh well.

i agree. this is the 4th dermatologist i've been to. every time i go, the problem gets worse before it gets better. i went without a dermatologist for years but now i'm at my wits end and clueless what to do, so i had no choice but to go to one again. i think there are scientists out there who know how to fix the problem, but they won't release it because pharmacies are making so much money on acne products. oh well.

I know its incredible the lack of help out there too be honest, It seems a safer option to just deal with it your self and sort your products out by researching it.

Dermatologist should really try harder to match the individual skin care needs of each patient, and have products for each skin type, as this is essentially their job! But like I said its alot easier to give someone a box of tablets and say come back in 3 months if it hasnt gone away. Nobody seems interested in solving it other than the people who have acne.

Unfortunately this is what ive been trying to do and have ended up with way more problems than I started out with. I seem to have every single problem its possible to have happening to my face all at once, making it virtually impossible to use any products at all.

Most dermatologists and estheticians are fuckwits that get paid (ironically) lots of money to gamble and roll the dice with people's acne problems. I wish I discovered this website early in my life. I wouldn't have to deal with so much acne scars now :\

I know its incredible the lack of help out there too be honest, It seems a safer option to just deal with it your self and sort your products out by researching it.

Dermatologist should really try harder to match the individual skin care needs of each patient, and have products for each skin type, as this is essentially their job! But like I said its alot easier to give someone a box of tablets and say come back in 3 months if it hasnt gone away. Nobody seems interested in solving it other than the people who have acne.

Unfortunately this is what ive been trying to do and have ended up with way more problems than I started out with. I seem to have every single problem its possible to have happening to my face all at once, making it virtually impossible to use any products at all.

me too, me too. i just started using Aveeno calming moisturizer and it's the only one i've found to somewhat soothe my skin. i used to do a yogurt mask, but even that irritates the hell out of it.

Most dermatologists and estheticians are fuckwits that get paid (ironically) lots of money to gamble and roll the dice with people's acne problems. I wish I discovered this website early in my life. I wouldn't have to deal with so much acne scars now :\

yes i agree.

i do love this site. i spend the majority of my time on here because it helps me feel better talking with others.

Well stay out there and keep talking to real people. Not that the people here aren't real, but...very few people who've cured their acne stay on these boards. I'm still here because I have some downtime every day to surf the web, but I don't know how much longer I'll be posting. It's true once you cure acne you just want to get on with your life.

Anyway, my point is, keep talking to real people, because you'll find someone with clear skin and how they came by it. I was talking to one of my friends one day, who has beautiful, porcelain skin, and she told me her skin was great because she was on spironolactone. Spiro had NEVER been recommended to by ANY dermatologist, it's not discussed on these boards very much either. Well lo and behold it was my "miracle" cure. See my post in my siggy if you want the full story. While I appreciate these boards a ton, I found my cure through a lunchtime conversation with a college friend...completely out of the blue.

Edited by Green Gables

Well stay out there and keep talking to real people. Not that the people here aren't real, but...very few people who've cured their acne stay on these boards. I'm still here because I have some downtime every day to surf the web, but I don't know how much longer I'll be posting. It's true once you cure acne you just want to get on with your life.

Anyway, my point is, keep talking to real people, because you'll find someone with clear skin and how they came by it. I was talking to one of my friends one day, who has beautiful, porcelain skin, and she told me her skin was great because she was on spironolactone. Spiro had NEVER been recommended to by ANY dermatologist, it's not discussed on these boards very much either. Well lo and behold it was my "miracle" cure. See my post in my siggy if you want the full story. While I appreciate these boards a ton, I found my cure through a lunchtime conversation with a college friend...completely out of the blue.

I was actually thinking about you this morning. Not in a weird way haha. I remember reading one of your posts a little while ago, and seeing your thread about spiro. I also have a friend who went through accutane and was clear for 4 years but then it came back. and her cure was spiro. So I'm kind of curious. I will do some research on it and read your post. seems like every "real" person i talk says "oh use dove soap" "use dial antibacterial" and neither of those things worked. did you ask your derm for it?

I was actually thinking about you this morning. Not in a weird way haha. I remember reading one of your posts a little while ago, and seeing your thread about spiro. I also have a friend who went through accutane and was clear for 4 years but then it came back. and her cure was spiro. So I'm kind of curious. I will do some research on it and read your post. seems like every "real" person i talk says "oh use dove soap" "use dial antibacterial" and neither of those things worked. did you ask your derm for it?

Yeah, I made an appointment with the same derm as my friend, let the derm say her piece, then politely asked to try spiro on the recommendation of my friend.