Notifications
Clear all

Finally Starting Sept 10Th

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/08/2012 10:51 am

god i hope i have better luck using this drug than i've had trying to get all the crap done to take it! this is going to be the longest 33 days of my life. (i get to wait a few extra days because of the weekend) joy!

in the meantime, my face is purging because of the antibiotic i'm on. so i guess it's a good thing i have to wait a month to start. i kind of want my skin to calm down before it goes crazy again. so i'm hiding inside the next 2 days to let my skin breathe.

i was using neutrogena skin clearing makeup. i don't slather it on, but just dot it on my zits. but there's so many that it just looks ridiculous and makes it look worse. not to mention all my little scabs from popping my whiteheads. guh.

is there a good makeup out there that i can hide this disaster without caking makeup on like face paint? i hate makeup but i hate my face.

i will definitely be tracking my progress with pictures if anyone's interested.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 08/08/2012 11:09 am

Oh I think the purging will do your skin really well before accutane! It may limit your initial breakout eusa_pray.gif

On the makeup front I use revlon colourstay mixed with vichys dermablend, I do it that way largely because its what I had in the house and to get the shade/ consistency how I like it. I hate the revlon consistency, but it seriously does stay on all day. I think a lot of people will recommend mineral makeup though.

Congrats on (almost) starting! Waiting is a pain, but it'll probably go quicker than you think and you'll be popping those pills in no time.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/08/2012 11:18 am

thanks for the reply =)

that's what i was thinking too, the purging. i figure once all the crud is out, maybe my IB won't be so bad. i'm so disgusted with my face right now. just really hoping i don't scar from this.

how is your course going? i'd love to hear about it!

i will have to look for that makeup, i've never heard of vichy's dermablend.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 08/08/2012 6:27 pm

Yes I think if youre in America you might not get it. It may be the same as normal dermablend I'm not sure. I think Vichy just got the european license for it, someone told me it wasnt as thick, but I bought a newer tube recently and I actually think the formula has changed, so its probably the same now I guess.

My course is going ok. I had a horrendous IB (ok so it probably wasnt that bad). I have cystic acne and everything just exploded, like little bits I could feel under my skin turned into cysts. It appears to be settling down now, at about 2 and a half months in. I'd say I've had about a month of horribleness. I'm not really getting any side effects anymore bar slightly dry lips, so hopefully it will stay this way and my skin will just get better.

I know what its like worrying about scarring! But I figure, I could have scars and acne, or just scars right, at least we're fixing one of them right now! It does suck though, I definitely want to hide inside sometimes. I'm sure as long as you don't pick too much it wont scar, I think I read in another post your chin is your problem area? Well trust me, I have had in the last month the two largest chin spots I have ever seen, really swelled up changing the shape of my jaw line entirely, and theyve not scarred! Even though I know its on a individual basis, my chin definitely doesnt scar as easy as my cheeks.

Makeup wise I also really like cliniques antiblemish concealer. I used to use their foundation but since it all has salicylic acid in I guessed it was a no on accutane. That said I cant part from the concealer, it must be green based or something, because I mix it in with my foundation to get an in between shade, and damn does it cover redness well! I was just thinking today I dont think i'll part with it ever.

Acne sucks! But youre doing the best you can to fix it and thats all you can do really :) and soon you'll be on accutane (and I feel so much better knowing that I am actively doing something, taking the pills every day reminds me of that).

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/08/2012 8:01 pm

ughh that's what i'm so afraid of. my face is soo bad right now, i can't even imagine if it gets any worse on accutane. i don't think i can handle it =/ i really hope the mess i have going on now is healing by then. my problem area used to be mainly my chin. but lately it's everywhere. my chin is the worst spot. then all over my cheeks around my mouth. kind of hard to describe. i don't get them on the sides of my cheeks too much. it seems to focus on the front of my face. then i got smaller ones scattered on my forehead and some medium sized ones. a little in my mustache area. shit never ends! i do pick and that's why i'm so scared of scarring. the acne i have is so deep it takes forever for the "root" to get out. i'm going to need a makeup lesson because i have no idea how to cover this mess. =X i actually think my face looks worse with makeup but you couldn't pay me to leave the house like that. i can't even believe i let my boyfriend see me like this. but i have no choice (we live together)

thank you for your help. keep me updated with your progress!

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 08/09/2012 7:34 am

I know exactly how you feel :(

I can't decide what's worse...a face full of disgusting, red zits or a face full of disgusting, red zits caked over with makeup trying to disguise the fact that it's a face full of disgusting red zits. I don't know, I think flakey, pimply makeup covered skin is worse. It really does freakin' suck. I feel sorry for anyone who has to look at me. You are lucky to have a guy that loves YOU regardless of acne. I'm only 16 so obviously all the guys I associate with are douchebags and generally don't look past these things.

Hence, this is why I am currently single.

Having said that, I use Boscia BB cream (Ulta, Sephora, etc). It's good for your skin, shouldn't break anyone out and it fights dryness. It's somewhat like a tinted moisturizer I guess but with slightly better coverage. Not the coverage of foundation but it does help and it's not 'cakey'. Some people have trouble with the color (it's a 'one shade fits all' sorta thing) but it seems to work pretty well for me. I'm only on day 4 of my treatment so I haven't had a chance to test it out on SUPER dry skin so the verdict is still out on that one...

I KNOOOOOW! The month before I started was the longest freakin' month of my life! Hang in there, it will be here before you know it ;)

Good luck!!

~Celia

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/09/2012 12:03 pm

I know exactly how you feel sad.png

I can't decide what's worse...a face full of disgusting, red zits or a face full of disgusting, red zits caked over with makeup trying to disguise the fact that it's a face full of disgusting red zits. I don't know, I think flakey, pimply makeup covered skin is worse. It really does freakin' suck. I feel sorry for anyone who has to look at me. You are lucky to have a guy that loves YOU regardless of acne. I'm only 16 so obviously all the guys I associate with are douchebags and generally don't look past these things.

Having said that, I use Boscia BB cream (Ulta, Sephora, etc). It's good for your skin, shouldn't break anyone out and it fights dryness. It's somewhat like a tinted moisturizer I guess but with slightly better coverage. Not the coverage of foundation but it does help and it's not 'cakey'. Some people have trouble with the color (it's a 'one shade fits all' sorta thing) but it seems to work pretty well for me. I'm only on day 4 of my treatment so I haven't had a chance to test it out on SUPER dry skin so the verdict is still out on that one...

I KNOOOOOW! The month before I started was the longest freakin' month of my life! Hang in there, it will be here before you know it wink.png

Good luck!!

~Celia

ahh. i feel sorry for anyone that has to look at me too! =( i hate looking at me. when i'm home alone all day and don't have to look in a mirror i am my happiest. but as soon as i go do my routine, i cry for a long time. it's horrible. and every day seems to get worse. eating hurts. these cysts suck!

when i first started dating my boyfriend my acne was very much under control only using clearasil and other stupid over the counter stuff that obviously stopped working. my stepdad swears it's something in this apartment, because ever since i moved out of my parent's house with well water into an apartment with city water, my face has gone from about 95% clear to piece of shit. so the fact that my boyfriend is still with me even though i look like this, i am really lucky.

luckily for you, you're young and already on your way to getting rid of the problem. i have fought this for way too damn long and i'm running out of patience.

i have heard about the BB cream. i'll have to look at it next time i'm brave enough to enter a store. with my luck the color won't match though. my skin tone is very hard to match. i really hate painting my face to hide this acne but idk what else to do.

were you on an antibiotic before you started accutane? i'm hoping this horrible purging period will somewhat reduce my IB. if my acne gets worse than this i am seriously going to effing lose it.

good luck to you too Celia =)

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 08/09/2012 3:32 pm

Haha, 'painting my face' is exactly what I do! It's about 3 shades all blended over redness. I actually get a lot of people who dont seen to realise I have acne and are really surprised when I take it off, so hopefully it doesnt look so bad! There are loads of makeup tips over on the cosmetics board that are worth reading. If I cant really cover a big spot without it looking cakey I just leave it showing through a bit. I'm not fooling anyone into believing I dont wear makeup, but I still think its better.

I totally understand not wanting people to see you! I wont even answer the door to the postman without make up on, it's a bit pathetic. I just keep thinking long term on accutane. In the long term it should clear :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/09/2012 6:21 pm

I KNOOOOOW! The month before I started was the longest freakin' month of my life! Hang in there, it will be here before you know it wink.png

Good luck!!

~Celia

ahh. i feel sorry for anyone that has to look at me too! =( i hate looking at me. when i'm home alone all day and don't have to look in a mirror i am my happiest. but as soon as i go do my routine, i cry for a long time. it's horrible. and every day seems to get worse. eating hurts. these cysts suck!

when i first started dating my boyfriend my acne was very much under control only using clearasil and other stupid over the counter stuff that obviously stopped working. my stepdad swears it's something in this apartment, because ever since i moved out of my parent's house with well water into an apartment with city water, my face has gone from about 95% clear to piece of shit. so the fact that my boyfriend is still with me even though i look like this, i am really lucky.

luckily for you, you're young and already on your way to getting rid of the problem. i have fought this for way too damn long and i'm running out of patience.

i have heard about the BB cream. i'll have to look at it next time i'm brave enough to enter a store. with my luck the color won't match though. my skin tone is very hard to match. i really hate painting my face to hide this acne but idk what else to do.

were you on an antibiotic before you started accutane? i'm hoping this horrible purging period will somewhat reduce my IB. if my acne gets worse than this i am seriously going to effing lose it.

Don't be so hard on yourself hun. I think we as acne sufferers are really mean to ourselves. You're going on accutane so try to be patient. A word of advice from a 3 time user, while you're on it, take the time take care of your diet and dont excessively drink. Once you're off, i highly recommend you get on maintenance therapy in the form of a retinoid. That was one of my biggest regrets when i was on accutane, not using a retinoid as it is clear acne is in my genes.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/09/2012 8:53 pm

Haha, 'painting my face' is exactly what I do! It's about 3 shades all blended over redness. I actually get a lot of people who dont seen to realise I have acne and are really surprised when I take it off, so hopefully it doesnt look so bad! There are loads of makeup tips over on the cosmetics board that are worth reading. If I cant really cover a big spot without it looking cakey I just leave it showing through a bit. I'm not fooling anyone into believing I dont wear makeup, but I still think its better.

I totally understand not wanting people to see you! I wont even answer the door to the postman without make up on, it's a bit pathetic. I just keep thinking long term on accutane. In the long term it should clear smile.png

haha me neither!! my boyfriend got a bunch of parts for his jeep delivered sporadically a few months ago. and at the time i was wearing a stupid sulfur mask as a spot treatment, so i'd walk around the house with a bunch of white dots. i wouldn't answer the door, and the UPS guy wouldn't leave the stuff without a signature. i thought my bf would flip...but he was very understanding =) i live in an apartment and the maintenance guys can come in at any time, and it's always when i'm fresh out of the shower with all my acne revealed. i hate it!

i spent a while on youtube this morning trying to learn how to paint my face. i just got so disgusted that i closed it. they were seriously using paint brushes to cover the zits. yea, everybody knows i have acne too so i just try to hide the redness as best i can. it still looks like shit after, but a little more presentable =P

Good luck!!

~Celia

Don't be so hard on yourself hun. I think we as acne sufferers are really mean to ourselves. You're going on accutane so try to be patient. A word of advice from a 3 time user, while you're on it, take the time take care of your diet and dont excessively drink. Once you're off, i highly recommend you get on maintenance therapy in the form of a retinoid. That was one of my biggest regrets when i was on accutane, not using a retinoid as it is clear acne is in my genes.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

thank you <3 you're right. i'm very mean to myself. i say the nastiest things to myself and get myself so worked up. and it does nothing but make my face redder. i plan to avoid alcohol completely while on accutane. i'm not much of a drinker anyway, but i don't want to take any chances. i will definitely use something for maintenance after accutane because i never want to go through this pain again. i will keep you guys posted =) i plan to do a picture log.

MemberMember
(@misslarry12304)

Posted : 08/12/2012 3:09 pm

Hi, I also am starting Roaccutane on September 10, this is to get all the tests etc done. Im on Tetracycline up until then! Would be good if we followed each other x

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/12/2012 4:57 pm

Hi, I also am starting Roaccutane on September 10, this is to get all the tests etc done. Im on Tetracycline up until then! Would be good if we followed each other x

yay! same day as me =) lets keep in touch!

i'm on minocycline and clindamicin right now. sept 10th can't come soon enoughhh

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 08/12/2012 5:23 pm

i'm on minocycline and clindamicin right now. sept 10th can't come soon enoughhh

Hey!

Oh yes, I was also on minocycline and clindamicin. I was also on bactrim (twice) and doxycyline and ziana and finacea at various times. Bactrim and clindamicin worked really well for almost a year. I was totally clear! After I stopped, my acne came back and never went away, no matter what I tried :( I tried various BC pills (currently on Yaz for the past 4 months) and if anything, they made it worse. Poop.

I just took my 7th 30mg dose of Clavaris and I must say I don't have any side effects....YET. My face might be a touch more oily but thats about it at this point. I'm lookiing forward to SOME sort of change! I know...'be careful what you ask for'. haha. Watch me wake up tomorrow with a face full of boils and my peeled-off lips on the pillow.....

Sept. 10 will be here before you know it :)

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/12/2012 7:55 pm

Hey!

Oh yes, I was also on minocycline and clindamicin. I was also on bactrim (twice) and doxycyline and ziana and finacea at various times. Bactrim and clindamicin worked really well for almost a year. I was totally clear! After I stopped, my acne came back and never went away, no matter what I tried sad.png I tried various BC pills (currently on Yaz for the past 4 months) and if anything, they made it worse. Poop.

I just took my 7th 30mg dose of Clavaris and I must say I don't have any side effects....YET. My face might be a touch more oily but thats about it at this point. I'm lookiing forward to SOME sort of change! I know...'be careful what you ask for'. haha. Watch me wake up tomorrow with a face full of boils and my peeled-off lips on the pillow.....

Sept. 10 will be here before you know it smile.png

ugh that is my worst fear! that when i start accutane my face is going to blow up with cysts. i really hope it calms down before i start. it's a nightmare!

keep me updated with your progress =) and i hope it goes by quick!

MemberMember
(@jamie10)

Posted : 08/14/2012 9:39 am

Hey, try to make sure you are on a low dose if you take accutane. I was on 40mg for 6 months and I have side effects 10 years on (fragile dry skin, thinner hair, some digestive problems). That seems low compared to others who have take 80mg for similar lengths. I hope it goes well. I don't want to put you off, and I am sure you know all the risks, but be vigilant well on it. Any sign of side effects - go to your doctor! I just took side effects as a natural occurence of being on the drug, but I think they are warning signs.

Anyway, I know accutane works wonders on acne for many so I hope you are one of the lucky ones! :)

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/14/2012 3:37 pm

hi!

thank you, i hope so too. i really am at a loss of what else to do with my skin. nothing helps.

my derm said he's going to start me at 20mg twice a day for the first month and max out at 60mg.

i'm afraid of the side effects, but i want to have a life again. i haven't really enjoyed life in so long.

MemberMember
(@misslarry12304)

Posted : 08/15/2012 2:16 pm

Hey, Yes I am fully aware of all the side effects and I too want my life back!!! Im starting off low and building it up, goes on youre weight or something! Had my first blood test today and pregnancy test! Fingers crossed x

MemberMember
(@hope72)

Posted : 08/15/2012 5:58 pm

I feel for you! I have my second pregnancy test next Wednesday and I'm on pins and needles waiting. I'm really not looking forward to my initial breakout. Someone suggested the Vichy Dermablend makeup, you can get it usually at CVS's in the US.

I also found this video helpful!

The brush she is using is a small makeup brush, this method really does work if you have patience and take your time.

For concealers I also like the NYX HD one and the Urban Decay 24/7 concealer stick.

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/15/2012 9:39 pm

thanks for that ^ i actually just watched that the other day on youtube.

i actually already got my second preg test taken, but only because the secretary told me to and didn't know i had to wait. pff. i will be forwarding that bill! lol

i go sept 7th for my next one.

keep me posted =)

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 08/18/2012 8:32 am

Hang in there! Your time is almost here :)

I have to be honest, although I am still really early into my treatment, and I like to complain a lot, the side effects are not so bad. At least not at this point. I'm sure once I'm bumped up (max at 60mg, like you) I will notice more but so far it's not nearly as horrible as I thought it would be. Yes, I am still breaking out but I would be breaking out if I WASNT on accutane and at least this way I know I'm at least one step closer to being clear.

Keep your chin up! (Even if it does has zits on it. haha) I'm right there with ya :)

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/18/2012 4:03 pm

Hang in there! Your time is almost here smile.png

I have to be honest, although I am still really early into my treatment, and I like to complain a lot, the side effects are not so bad. At least not at this point. I'm sure once I'm bumped up (max at 60mg, like you) I will notice more but so far it's not nearly as horrible as I thought it would be. Yes, I am still breaking out but I would be breaking out if I WASNT on accutane and at least this way I know I'm at least one step closer to being clear.

Keep your chin up! (Even if it does has zits on it. haha) I'm right there with ya smile.png

hahhaha "keep your chin even if it does have zits on it" i love that haa! thanks for the support! =) i have a countdown going on my fridge lol. yea i figure when i break out on accutane i will expect it and know i'm on my way to clearing up. and you're right, i'd break out regardless. hopefully i don't get bad side effects either!

MemberMember
(@misslarry12304)

Posted : 08/26/2012 6:40 pm

Only two weeks now til I start!!!!! argh x

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/27/2012 6:11 am

wahoo! me too =) 14 dayyyss! i have a countdown on my fridge lol

MemberMember
(@billz7)

Posted : 08/27/2012 8:02 am

Good luck girls , I started a week ago, what dose you both starting on ?

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/27/2012 1:19 pm

thanks =) how's it going for you?

he said it'll be 20mg twice a day. what's yours?