Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmw423

Starting 'tane First Time In Sept. Neccesities? Products? Preparations?

Hello all

I got the go ahead this morning from my derm to start accutane in Sept. Recieved my !pledge booklet got my # and had my first lab (including pregnancy test) today. I guess my question is what do I need as far as products in my accutane survival kit of sorts. Cetaphil cleanser and moistuizer seem to be popular?? Lip balm?? Shampoo & Conditioner?? Vitamins?? What can I expect?? Don't know the dosage yet.

Details-

Name: Kristen

Age-31

Have had acne since I was about 22 yrs old (mild to moderate) always easily covered by a good mineral powder.

For the last 6 months I have been growing HUGE angry cysts accompanied by the mild acne i've always had. YIKES

The first cyst from 6 months ago is still not completely healed and since then i've gotten 3 more since. They fill up... get huge and white.... come to a head.... I lance them.... get the white out.... they go down for a day or 2... then fill up again. the SCARRING and pitting left behind are the main reason I decided to finally go on accutane. My (sweet & wonderful) derm & I feel we have exhausted all other options. I'd like to get pregnant in about 2 years so it's now or never (so to speak)

My Story-

I have always been an extremely confident and social person. I have great friends, great family and am about to celebrate my 2nd anniversary with my incredibly supportive husband. I am a Esthetician & Massage Therapist at a high end Day Spa, with people I love. My life is pretty close to perfect...except for my skin, starting 6 mos ago. THE CYSTS!!!! They repell all make up! They can't be covered or controlled or cured!!! I've lost confidence in my job. I have started shying away form social events. Stressing about things i've always enjoyed, like a friends wedding in a few weeks. Trying to avoid people I haven't seen in a while. Spending an increased amount of time at home. Not wanting to go on our boat for the day for fear of swimming and my makeup coming off, or worse sitting on the boat sweating while everyone else is in the water without a care in the world! That's the worst. The more stressed I got, the worse my skin got...I had entered the vicious cycle. And that is where I am now!

Things i'm nervous about-

Even though i'm oily I already get flaky in spots and in the winter my lips get super chapped as it is!! And I know I don't drink enough water (by enough I mean NONE)!!

Tried-

Doxycycline

Minocycline

Spironolactone

Retin a

Proactiv

Jan Marini Bio Clear line

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks Kristen

Your story sounds just like mine!

I'm 26 next week. I'm also a massage therapist and my confidence has been shot because of my skin. I've suffered from mild to moderate persistent acne since I was 12, but lately it's gotten pretty severe with lots of cysts. Mine keep coming back too. I also hide in the house and avoid going anywhere except work or the grocery store. I hate it. My derm told me to try accutane a couple weeks ago. I got all my blood work done. Now I'm just waiting for him to put me in the system so I can start counting down the days. So we will most likely be starting around the same time =) this 30 day crap really stresses me out. I want to start now damnit!

Hey Kristen! I am on my first month of Accutane and I have found that fish oil helps with stiff joints, I got a big bottle of jojoba oil for my face and lips. I have found that jojoba oil works better than lotion for my face. Aquaphor for my lips. Once your hair starts getting dry, I would suggest getting somekind of deep conditioner also

Watch your coffee intake, as well as animal fat intake as cholesterol can get pretty high on this stuff

Congratulations on getting accutane! I wish you all the best during your course and after! smile.png

Edited by Sg86

A fellow "thirty-something" on Accutane.... :) I wish you success! And you're going to need to change that zero water policy and drink up! ;)

I just made a post today over on my log about all the products I'm using (see link in my sig)

Whatthekell, Sg86 & BodyandSoul.

I am sooo thankful for your encouragement, as this was a hard decision to make. I know it's the best thing but still so scary! To have people to share my experience with, who are going through the same thing, at the same time is quite special. Considering I am the only 31 year old women with cystic acne that I know (LOL)!!! Had my first labs done tuesday have not heard anything yet and at this point my biggest fear is that Doc is going to call me and say "I'm sorry you're actually not a good candidate for accutane GOODBYE" But I am trying to stay positive.

Bodyandsoul

How is your hair situation?? I read in your blog you were experiencing some hair loss?? This is a very upsetting side effect to me as I was diagnosed a week after my 30'th birthday With Hashimoto's Thyroidosis...GREAT (autoimmune disease effecting the Thyroid gland)!! One of the side effects of that is also hair loss! So i'm just wondering how that's going for you? Researching vitamins at the moment for stimulating hair growth and strength and I've seen Biotin and Vitamin E are both good, but will have to go over that with The DOC!! I've also started increasing my water intake but still tough for me, as I don't love water the way I love Iced Coffee on a hot summer Boston day!!!

Thank you for your kind words and I look forward to sharing this experience with you all!! May we all regain our confidence in our own beauty again due to accutane, no more hiding it away under layers of yucky makeup!!

Kristen xx

Hi Kristen, I'm Lisa...Your story sounds exactly like mine! I am starting accutane tomorrow, I'm so excited! Got my scrip today but was too tired to get to the pharmacy. Just like you, i have the GREATEST most supportive husband ever..theres no way i could've done this without him. His support gets me thru this. The 30 day wait was brutal for me, too much time to think, but i cant take the cysts anymore! i didnt develop cysts until like a couple of years ago, before then my skin was manageable. I'm 45 years old, its just ridiculous already!

Best of luck Lisa with your course, please keep me posted of your progress!! I'll be sure to do the same :)

Whatthekell, Sg86 & BodyandSoul.

I am sooo thankful for your encouragement, as this was a hard decision to make. I know it's the best thing but still so scary! To have people to share my experience with, who are going through the same thing, at the same time is quite special. Considering I am the only 31 year old women with cystic acne that I know (LOL)!!! Had my first labs done tuesday have not heard anything yet and at this point my biggest fear is that Doc is going to call me and say "I'm sorry you're actually not a good candidate for accutane GOODBYE" But I am trying to stay positive.

Bodyandsoul

How is your hair situation?? I read in your blog you were experiencing some hair loss?? This is a very upsetting side effect to me as I was diagnosed a week after my 30'th birthday With Hashimoto's Thyroidosis...GREAT (autoimmune disease effecting the Thyroid gland)!! One of the side effects of that is also hair loss! So i'm just wondering how that's going for you? Researching vitamins at the moment for stimulating hair growth and strength and I've seen Biotin and Vitamin E are both good, but will have to go over that with The DOC!! I've also started increasing my water intake but still tough for me, as I don't love water the way I love Iced Coffee on a hot summer Boston day!!!

Thank you for your kind words and I look forward to sharing this experience with you all!! May we all regain our confidence in our own beauty again due to accutane, no more hiding it away under layers of yucky makeup!!

Kristen xx

Kristen,

I'm 30 so now you know another 30-something with acne ;)

My hair loss has slowed down a lot since I'm not washing my hair every day. I also just found out that I have very low iron so that could definitely be one of the causes of losing so many strands. Betsy (BeautifulDisasters) takes Biotin and says it's great for her hair. I take Vitamin E and am considering adding Biotin.

My mom has Hashimoto's too.... I'm always concerned that I have a thyroid issue (and thought it could be the cause of my acne) but it appears I don't. I hope that your therapy for that is successful!

Welcome to the club :) Congrats on taking the first step to a clearer face and a happier you :)

Hair - you really only need to wash your hair once a week, if you can't wait that long, then maybe once every 5/6 days, any more and your hair will get dry, frizzy, lifeless, fall out easier and my god will your scalp itch like nothing has ever itched before.

Use an anti-dandruff shampoo, then use lots of conditioner and leave it on for a while, then use some hot oil, I find a 5-10 drops of hot jojoba oil works wonders, leave it on your hair like a second conditioning. I find this leaves my hair super soft and moisturized.

Skin - Personally, I think Cetaphil sucks, especially the moisturizer, you're better off trying aveeno, or even getting a super sensitive medicated moisturizer designed for eczema or something. Make sure you moisturize your whole body, even if it doesn't look dry, especially your neck, arms, feet, and other places where the skin is thin, it'll get super dry and could crack, bleed or go sore. Just slather on a good body butter or moisturizer after showering each morning.

Eyes - chances are your eyes will get dry, especially in the morning, get yourself some cheap eye drops for dry eyes, it'll fix it right up.

Also, your whole body will be pretty weak and sensitive - scratch a bit too hard, you'll rash, you'll bruise and cut super easy, so you're gonna be the winey one who's always hurt for a while, think of yourself as a giant peach, take it easy, any bumps cuts rashes or other skin-things you get can be fixed up my smothering the area with moisturizer even more than usual :)

Diet wise, all the drying up can be made less bad by upping your good fat intake, your omega 3's. Salmon, Sardines and other Fishes, Nuts, Seeds, Avocados, full of good fats that will keep your body nice and moist up inside and out.

Oh, and for the love of god don't drink more than a glass of wine or alcohol at a time, because you will regret it the next day.

Accutane = hangover x 100, you will be dead, your insides will hurt, being on accutane is a bit like having a mild hangover constantly for 6 months anyway, you really don't want to make that worse, I speak from experience.

Good Luck :D x

hey first of all,

keep being positive!!!!!!!

i know it could be moody for the first few weeks,

cuz your skin will look like worsen then never had it before,

but after 3weeks - 4 weeks, you will notice the improvement!!

so stay positive!

good luck!!!

we are all here for ya!

need help? just post!!!!

Hello all,

So picked up my prescription tonight...yikes!! Clavaris 60 mg a day for 5 months! You know you've made the right decision when 2 weeks ago a random guy working at a convenient store asks you "what's was wrong with your face" (Dead serious. Who says that??) That was an all time low for me! Really hammered in the fact that it's pretty bad!! I really apreciate all the tips from everyone! I'll check back tomorrow after I take my first pill.

Kristen xx

Hey I just started my accutane journey as well (70mg a day/ 4 months/ 1 week done). so we should be finished around the same time. I definitely felt nauseated whilst taking my pills for the first time, try and take them with a decent meal so you minimise the effects. I also woke up feeling like I was hungover as hell which must be a side effect of the dehydration so that might be something to watch out for. I'm currently in the middle of my IB and its difficult....to put it mildly. I let it get on top of me today but feel better about things now. I hope everything works out well for you!

HI Kristen! I just took my first pill today! I'm on clarivis 40 mg for 6 months. My story is just like yours! It's nice to find people who understand how much a confidence killer acne is. Like you, I dread going out and I am not the same person I used to be because of my skin. The fact that my friends all have been blessed with perfect skin doesn't help. They just don't get it and it's so frustrating! Good luck on your journey! For moisture try using cocount oil for both your hair and skin! It works wonders :) Also get a camelback waterbottle with the top you bite and suck it makes you drink more water through out the day!

-B

i was very nauseous this morning (it's my 5th day) i also felt so hungover but had no alcohol. i definitely think it's from dehydration. which is weird because all i drink is water. so there's proof that accutane sucks every bit of moisture out of us! my boyfriend bought me a big bottle of pedialyte to rehydrate me. it tastes too sweet but hopefully it'll do the trick! if your pee is very yellow, you're dehydrated. =)