Notifications
Clear all

Why Acne Only On Face Usually

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 08/05/2012 9:09 pm

Why doesn't acne appear on hands where there's a tremendous amount of oil, dirt, germs, hair follicles, you name it. Why does acne show up on the face for the most part (sometimes, chest, back, shoulders)? What's the reasoning for this? You don't hear about people having hand acne or feet acne.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 08/05/2012 10:49 pm

Good question. I think even the major problem areas you listed are sometimes different for everyone too. Like for example I get facial acne and shoulder acne, but I almost never get anything on my back and my chest has never once broken out in my life. Acne is a strange beast. :P

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 08/05/2012 10:51 pm

Good question. I think even the major problem areas you listed are sometimes different for everyone too. Like for example I get facial acne and shoulder acne, but I almost never get anything on my back and my chest has never once broken out in my life. Acne is a strange beast. :P

Yeah it's fucking weird. I get it on my face, pimples every once in a while on the back kf my neck, and my back always has little ones. I've never gotten anything on my shoulders or chest. I would just think that ones hands would have acne as well, bc like I said it has oil, dirt, pores, hair follicles, everything your face has. Doesn't make sense to me. Wonder if anyone knows the answer behind that.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/06/2012 1:28 am

I have no idea - i'm just guessing here that it could be to do with oil production and the amount of oil glands (e.g. i think there are a lot more oil glands on the face than the hands). I never notice skin on my hands getting oily whereas my face does and that's where the acne is. Though people can get facial acne without having really oily skin...

Will be interesting to find out why - hopefully someone can let us know

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/06/2012 3:45 am

you dont have tremendous amount of oil on your hands, if u did, you would breakout on your hands also.

dirt\germs\sweat has nothing to do with acne, its all about oil[that clog pores].

MemberMember
(@clearwaters)

Posted : 08/06/2012 8:53 am

Yeah, and I'd like to know why one oily part of your face can be acne prone, while another equally oily part or even oiler can be completely spot free and clear??

Murph89 liked
MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/07/2012 7:52 am

Yeah, and I'd like to know why one oily part of your face can be acne prone, while another equally oily part or even oiler can be completely spot free and clear??

it cant

MemberMember
(@clearwaters)

Posted : 08/07/2012 8:19 am

Anyone who knows what they're talking about know?

MemberMember
(@samiman)

Posted : 08/07/2012 10:06 am

you dont have tremendous amount of oil on your hands, if u did, you would breakout on your hands also.

dirt\germs\sweat has nothing to do with acne, its all about oil[that clog pores].

oil doesnt cause acne.

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/07/2012 1:25 pm

oil doesnt cause acne.

then i guess its..... pollution..... that causes acne?

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 08/07/2012 2:08 pm

So no one really knows

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 08/07/2012 2:14 pm

i told you already, if you had overactive sebacous glands on the hands, you skin would have been oily and you would breakout. there is nothing magical on the face\back\chest.

MemberMember
(@beender20)

Posted : 08/07/2012 2:26 pm

It's possible to get pimples on the top of our hands, although the skin on our hands is much different than that on our face. It is much less sensitive and in general less prone to breakouts. The bottom of our feet and the palms of our hands actually do not have any sebaceous glands, so it is impossible to break out there.

Read this is helps explain it:

"Sebum is made by your body's sebaceous glands, which can be found everywhere on your body except the bottoms of your feet and the palms of your hands. These glands are most prevalent on our faces, backs, chests and groin areas." http://health.howstu...atomy/skin2.htm

Of course everyones body is different. So while you may have more glands on your face that cause breakouts, another person may have more on their back or chest.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 08/10/2012 7:56 am

You could break out anywhere on your skin but the chances for being on face and back is at its highest percentage.

Acne is an inflammatory disease, there are many triggers, and oiliness is one of them. Skin is one of the best organs for putting waste and toxic away. Vitamins also affect co factors which is involved in breaking down the oil.

In other words, just eat healthy and have low GI meals.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/13/2012 10:07 am

Why doesn't acne appear on hands where there's a tremendous amount of oil, dirt, germs, hair follicles, you name it. Why does acne show up on the face for the most part (sometimes, chest, back, shoulders)? What's the reasoning for this? You don't hear about people having hand acne or feet acne.

One, because of the types of follicles, pores and lack of sebaceous glands there. And because dirt and germs don't cause acne. And it frequently shows up on chest, back and shoulders and elsewhere.

MemberMember
(@impeccableyou)

Posted : 08/18/2012 6:24 pm

It's possible to get pimples on the top of our hands, although the skin on our hands is much different than that on our face. It is much less sensitive and in general less prone to breakouts. The bottom of our feet and the palms of our hands actually do not have any sebaceous glands, so it is impossible to break out there.

Read this is helps explain it:

"Sebum is made by your body's sebaceous glands, which can be found everywhere on your body except the bottoms of your feet and the palms of your hands. These glands are most prevalent on our faces, backs, chests and groin areas." http://health.howstu...atomy/skin2.htm

Of course everyones body is different. So while you may have more glands on your face that cause breakouts, another person may have more on their back or chest.

The question to be asked is this: Why are glands most prevalent on our face, chest, back, etc? I think it may have something to do with sexual activity/contact with partner.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 08/18/2012 10:59 pm

I get it on my legs sometimes... so obnoxious. But yeah the follicles are different on your hands not to mention we're always washing them and dirt isn't the CAUSE of acne. Though it doesn't help obviously.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/28/2012 9:21 pm

It is quite weird how i used to only get acne on face (rarely on shoulders/back, i could jump in a pile of bacteria ridden dirt and never break out). Now i have moderate acne on shoulders/upper back and lower back)

MemberMember
(@myadultacnecure)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:15 am

It is quite weird how i used to only get acne on face (rarely on shoulders/back, i could jump in a pile of bacteria ridden dirt and never break out). Now i have moderate acne on shoulders/upper back and lower back)

Same here. I always wonder what happened.

As to the OP, good question. Why don't I get acne under my armpits though (Not complaining though! Please God...no more!!! crazy.gif )?