Pregnancy Acne...he...

Notifications
Clear all

Pregnancy Acne...help!

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 08/04/2012 10:13 pm

Hello all.

I'm HOPING someone can help me out. I'm 11 weeks pregnant so obviously my hormones are out of control...aka my skin is breaking out like crazy. It's so bad right now. I suffered from bad acne from the ages of 12-23 and finally got clear. I really don't want to go back down this path during what is supposed to be a very happy time (esp. because I've only been clear for 2.5 years!) Do any ladies have any tips? Will it get better as time goes on and my hormones even out? eusa_pray.gif

Also, I've read some many contradicting things online of what I can and cannot use during pregnancy....it's so stressful. Can I safely use the following? BP (5%): I've read yes and no. The March of Dimes says it is perfectly safe and other websites say not to use it. Salicylic Acid? Again, everything is pretty wishy-washy. Also, I heard you cannot use anti-aging moisturizer during pregnancy?? I use Olay Night Recovery moiturizer....it's not a retinol so I don't think it is a problem?eusa_think.gif

I'm definitely going to ask my OB but I don't have another appt. for a few weeks. Call me naive, but I had no idea OTC topicals could be a problem during pregnancy...I've been so concerned with what I'm eating and drinking. Maybe I'm being paranoid, I don't know. First time mom jitters. huh.png

Thanks for the help!!! smile.png

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/05/2012 12:09 am

Doctors are extra cautious when you are pregnant and will tell you to avoid everything that hasn't been PROVEN safe. But that means they also rule out things that haven't been proven dangerous, either. For example, retinoids. There is nothing showing harm taking that in topical form while pregnant, but there's nothing showing it's 100% safe either. Part of the problem is no one is going to do a study of pregnant women to see if retinoids harm the fetus, obviously. So I can't tell you what to do, but here is some info:

Accutane: NEVER take while pregnant.

Retinoids: no studies showing it is dangerous in topical form, but also nothing showing it is safe.

Salicylic acid 2%: considered safe.

Salicylic acid/BHA PEELS (10% or higher): not safe.

Retinol: again, very little data.

Topical antibioitics: certain forms have been prescribed to pregnant women experiencing acne. consult your doctor.

Personally, I would feel comfortable with retinol, salicylic acid 2%, or a doctor prescribed topical antibiotics used in moderation. I would be wary of any retinoids stronger than Differin.

MemberMember
(@pregopox)

Posted : 08/05/2012 2:07 am

Oh how I understand what you're going through... So 5 years ago during my pregnancy I broke out SEVERELY! Going from crystal clear to cystic pizza face and no one could help! So let me give you some advice. Since them, I've gained 100% more knowledge and am better prepared for my next pregnancy. Definitely never use Retin-a. Since there have been not too many studies on its effects on the fetus, I'd stay away, at least for the first trimester. You don't want to use benzoyl peroxide. I don't use it period because it did during pregnancy and still does leave me brown...???!?!?!! Weird... Keep away from antibiotics. I was even put on erythromycin because it was horrific and it helped nothing! So if it's gonna stay the same u might as well exclude it on your list. Make things easier, let me tell you what you can use and what's perfectly safe durin pregnancy:

Glycolic acid 10% as a daily treatment both night and day/ keeps skin smooth and exfoliates

Glycolic acid peels no more than 30% to STAY safe/ exfoliates, kills bacteria, lightens spots

Mandelic acid 25% peel, used once a week to battle the acne from forming

Salicylic acid peel no more than 20% used on a monthly basis and only left on the skin for 1 minute (believe me a minute is all you need and it won't reach the blood stream)/ kills bacteria and oil that causes acne

Lactic acid 40% used bi weekly to exfoliate skin and lighten spots, helps acne

Now I'm not saying use all at once or together, however I will use all of these as directed when I'm pregnant. As a face wash I use baking soda it a scrub I buy from my esthetician. If you want to try any of these id start with glycolic acid. And so you don't waste money, go to sephora and ask them for a sample of Peter Thomas roth 10% glycolic acid. Looks like a clear gel. I'd also begin washing the face with baking soda every other day and maybe sea salt and warm water. These will clean and helps lightly exfoliate your skin without being harsh and making things worse. If the glycolic works for you order from make up artists choice dot com (all one word when typed in search box). I order from them because it's way cheaper to do my own than pay an esthi to do it at $60 a pop. You pay half of that or less and get months worth. Hmmmmmm.... Tryin to see what else I can suggest...

I think that's pretty much it for now. This was real long only because I feel your pain and wanted to explain a bit more. Inbox me if you have any questions. Breathe deep, be happy! You're pregnant and beautiful no matter what!

I knew I forgot!!!! Diet is EXTREEEEEEMELY important! Get a lot of veggies, try juicing i you can and try to cut out dairy and red meat if you can. Soy also sucks because it's like estrogen. In my case it went to hell because I didn't know better. At least start with the dairy. That's what made my skin stop breaking out in cysts, eliminating dairy :( hard but worth it and been dairy free for 3 years! Again, inbox me if u have any questions. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 08/05/2012 9:57 am

Oh how I understand what you're going through... So 5 years ago during my pregnancy I broke out SEVERELY! Going from crystal clear to cystic pizza face and no one could help! So let me give you some advice. Since them, I've gained 100% more knowledge and am better prepared for my next pregnancy. Definitely never use Retin-a. Since there have been not too many studies on its effects on the fetus, I'd stay away, at least for the first trimester. You don't want to use benzoyl peroxide. I don't use it period because it did during pregnancy and still does leave me brown...???!?!?!! Weird... Keep away from antibiotics. I was even put on erythromycin because it was horrific and it helped nothing! So if it's gonna stay the same u might as well exclude it on your list. Make things easier, let me tell you what you can use and what's perfectly safe durin pregnancy:

Glycolic acid 10% as a daily treatment both night and day/ keeps skin smooth and exfoliates

Glycolic acid peels no more than 30% to STAY safe/ exfoliates, kills bacteria, lightens spots

Mandelic acid 25% peel, used once a week to battle the acne from forming

Salicylic acid peel no more than 20% used on a monthly basis and only left on the skin for 1 minute (believe me a minute is all you need and it won't reach the blood stream)/ kills bacteria and oil that causes acne

Lactic acid 40% used bi weekly to exfoliate skin and lighten spots, helps acne

Now I'm not saying use all at once or together, however I will use all of these as directed when I'm pregnant. As a face wash I use baking soda it a scrub I buy from my esthetician. If you want to try any of these id start with glycolic acid. And so you don't waste money, go to sephora and ask them for a sample of Peter Thomas roth 10% glycolic acid. Looks like a clear gel. I'd also begin washing the face with baking soda every other day and maybe sea salt and warm water. These will clean and helps lightly exfoliate your skin without being harsh and making things worse. If the glycolic works for you order from make up artists choice dot com (all one word when typed in search box). I order from them because it's way cheaper to do my own than pay an esthi to do it at $60 a pop. You pay half of that or less and get months worth. Hmmmmmm.... Tryin to see what else I can suggest...

I think that's pretty much it for now. This was real long only because I feel your pain and wanted to explain a bit more. Inbox me if you have any questions. Breathe deep, be happy! You're pregnant and beautiful no matter what!

I knew I forgot!!!! Diet is EXTREEEEEEMELY important! Get a lot of veggies, try juicing i you can and try to cut out dairy and red meat if you can. Soy also sucks because it's like estrogen. In my case it went to hell because I didn't know better. At least start with the dairy. That's what made my skin stop breaking out in cysts, eliminating dairy sad.png hard but worth it and been dairy free for 3 years! Again, inbox me if u have any questions. Good luck!

Wow, thank you SOO much for all the help. This will be great info for the next 6 months. Luckily right now, red meat and dairy is absolutely disgusting to me, so that is actually a good thing for my skin! Maybe I'll go back to Almond milk. And thanks for the info on the glycolic acid. I get the 15% tca peels from MUAC, but I know I can't use that when pregnant (Even though it's amazing for hyperpigmentation) so the GA will probably make a good substitute. Thanks for the suggestion on the Baking Soda. I've had good results with it in the past but since getting clear I forgot all about it. I will probably be inboxing you with more questions in the future. Hope you don't mind! :)

MemberMember
(@pregopox)

Posted : 08/05/2012 11:21 am

Glad I can help Hun! And since you already know about MUAC, you are set! Start there when u begin ordering. They have a section on peels which gives you info on each peel and what they do, even says age for pregnant women on the ones I mentioned. I'll inbox you my email address. I don't always log in here.. Just from time to time to see how te world is fighting acne. Take care... And you'll have your lil one in your arms in no time. Time flies ;)

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 08/07/2012 7:06 am

I used BPO and salicylic acid throughout all my pregnancies without a problem. I always had a time in the middle where I broke out anyway, but these at least helped control it.

MemberMember
(@mwilso)

Posted : 08/07/2012 10:51 am

I broke out awfully my first trimester and then my skin cleared up beautifully for the rest of my pregnancy! It hadn't looked that good in a long time. Which was great, because I was too exhausted to care about make up.

I used 2% BHA and 2.5/5% BP in the mornings and 8% AHA and 2.5%/5% BP in the evenings without incident.

I did ask my OB and she said that was just fine.

I was thinking the other day about my diet during pregnancy and whether that might have any affect on my skin. The only thing that I didn't eat much of was sugar because it aggravated my every trimester morning sickness. I drank tonnnnnnnnnnnnnns and tons of milk every day, so that didn't seem to matter. Idk. It's a mystery!

Your skin will probably clear up after the hormones settle down some! Good luck and a happy and healthy pregnancy.

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 11/08/2012 7:34 pm

Just an update for anyone who is interested: I'm now 6 months pregnant and my skin is a disaster!!!!!!!!!!! I'm breaking out on my forehead, jawline and both cheeks. The blemishes are super painful and are lasting foreverrr for some reason. Even the small ones that would normally go right away won't clear up. My doctor keeps blowing me off bc it's not a big medical issue and he's seriously pissing me off. I can't wait until this baby is out so that I can TCA the hell out of my face. sad.png

MemberMember
(@ericgaults)

Posted : 11/12/2012 5:35 am

I can somehow relate to this situation, my wife experience this one. We consulted a doctor for a safe way, all we know pregnancy is a very delicate and dangerous stage of a woman, all things should be monitored and double check. As of now, just try any natural means, I guess cleaning with water is one, if not try some cream especially with the aloe vera one

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 11/14/2012 2:58 am

Hi,

If you can find comfrey leaves use them as a mask, they dry up the pimples and heal the wounds really quickly. You need to boil one handful of leaves for 1 min and then squash them and apply them to your face for 30 mins.

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 11/16/2012 12:45 am

I really wish that I had been more proactive when I was pregnant, it was pretty bad but after delivery I got the pupps rash, and with all the extra stress and plummeting hormones my face went from bad to SEVERE. Huge nodules and cysts, my derm took one look at me and said my only option was accutane. I held out as long as possible because of breastfeeding but it was disgusting and I couldn't take it anymore. Most women clear after delivery I'm told, I really hope it gets better! Go get injections if you have to, get erythromycin, do anything you're absolutely allowed so that your face can heal! I am terrified to ever get pregnant again, I am going to be disfigured from this :( take care of yourself, talk to a derm, get a topical, do everything you can!

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 11/23/2012 5:57 pm

I really wish that I had been more proactive when I was pregnant, it was pretty bad but after delivery I got the pupps rash, and with all the extra stress and plummeting hormones my face went from bad to SEVERE. Huge nodules and cysts, my derm took one look at me and said my only option was accutane. I held out as long as possible because of breastfeeding but it was disgusting and I couldn't take it anymore. Most women clear after delivery I'm told, I really hope it gets better! Go get injections if you have to, get erythromycin, do anything you're absolutely allowed so that your face can heal! I am terrified to ever get pregnant again, I am going to be disfigured from this sad.png take care of yourself, talk to a derm, get a topical, do everything you can!

I hear you, I'm kind of scared to get pregnant again, lol. My face just hurts so bad. Gotta love hormones. What's pupps rash? I have not heard of this. Ughh, one more thing to stress over. I love how all of my friends ended up with glowing skin and shiny hair. Not me.