Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HarHoos

ACCUTANE vs. THE REGIMEN

They are both good and bad.

Accutance should work, but the side effects are bad on some people. As well there might be long terms effects. For me accutance is better becaucse the regieme just did not work for me.

The regieme is good because its not as dangerous as accutance. It is bad because of the strickness of it. It is bad because it may not work.

So really they are both good and bad but it depends on the person. I think you should try the regieme first, more safe, accutance is more like a last resort.

As well i do not know if you know this but many many board members say that the regieme is the only thing that will work for them. So there is a chance that you are one of these people.

Well, it depends on the type of acne you have, how severe it is, what your personal finances or your situation is, etc.

In my opinion, Accutane is for people whose acne does not respond to anything else. I was such a lucky person. My acne laughed in the face of topicals, antibiotics, dermatologist-office chemical peels, microdermabrasion, grenades, M-80s...you get the idea. Accutane was the only thing that cleared me up, and it was like a miracle. But, it took a long time to get to the point where a derm would prescribe Accutane for me (my 2nd derm had some sense and didn't screw around, thank god), and thankfully I was on a prescription plan or it would've been very expensive. I am also one of those people who wanted the acne gone so badly I would've smeared cow dung on my face if it would've helped. So even though I wasn't sure if Accutane would help, I said "lemme have it." To me, the side effects, the few that I did have, were worth the miraculous clearing of my skin. I only wish I'd taken it sooner.

Even if you don't have a prescription plan, I wouldn't let that prohibit you if you have acne that will not respond to any other treatments. As OursFan has said many times, and I agree 100%, go on the Accutane and put it on a credit card. Take out a loan, sell off some stuff, but get the help you need to clear up the acne and start feeling better about yourself again. Doing something is always better than doing nothing or ignoring the problem. If you need Accutane, you need it. Worry about the money when you're clear. smile.gif

If you have mild acne or just don't, for whatever reason, want to take Accutane and deal with blood tests and possible side effects, I wholeheartedly recommend the Regimen. From what I can see, it is ideal for managing light outbreaks and that-time-of-the-month blemishes. It's topical, so you don't have to worry about any internal side effects, and it's a very affordable type of treatment. I definitely think that the Regimen is a great way to manage mild acne without needing to see a doctor, if that's not in the cards for you.

Either way, you need to do what's best for you. Accutane can be a miracle cure, but if you only get a few zits now and then, clearly it's overkill for you.

~Kat

Roaccutane is fantastic. I used it two years ago and it healed my severe cystic acne beautifully. Just today I've started a second course of it - I haven't got much pustular or any cystic acne though I have a lot of problems with my pores being clogged and oiliness which topical treatments (including BP) haven't fixed...though my skin has never got even close to how it was when I 1st needed Roaccutane.

I'm actually extremely excited, because I know Roaccutane is the only DEFINITE answer to getting rid of acne. But BP is excellent for people with more mild acne, so they both have their own puropse and can't really be compared.