Notifications
Clear all

Differin 0.1% Gel + Tetralysal 300Mg Log !

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 08/04/2012 7:26 am

Hello there :) So yep starting a log as you might have guessed. I'm 18 and I have had acne since I was about 13 but it has only gotten to be a real issue with the last about two years I'd say. I've got acne on my face and back and both have subsided at times but never fully and never together. I've tried most of the over the counter products and have had some but not full success so enough was enough and I went to my doctor and was prescribed Differin and Tetralysal to attack the inside and outside! So yeah here I am. My acne is about moderate. My facial acne is mostly along the jawline and cheeks while my bacne is confined to my shoulder areas. The doctor said it's hormonal and doesn't look like it'll last after I'm into my early twenties but said theres a very strong chance it could go very very soon. Fingers crossed I guess :D

Taking the Tetralysal is relatively straight forward but I don't know alot about it. So if anyone has had experiences or knows any info about it could you please post? I'd reeealy appreciate it :)

As far as the Differin. Well I've heard about it because it's one of the most common treatments but I'm a little puzzled by some parts of it. One is the pea sized amount...isn't that like very little? I've no acne on my forehead so I'm not gonna put anything there but still isn't it a small amount? And should I apply to my whole face (minus forehead) or just problem areas? And another thing is the frequency. I've read here that you should ease your way into it. Sounds safe to me. I think I might do every second night for now. But ugh yeah anyone with information or experiences with Differin? Please help a little dude out :P

Outside of that I try to stay clean and healthy. I'm not on any freakish diet by any means but I try to eat as good as possible. I'm a water drinking nut though. At least 2.5 litres a day. It's just a thing really. Not health related or a bit. But I know it's supposed to be good for acne and all that so yeah woop woop :D

Any other general tips and pieces of advice are welcome of course.

So yeah that's just about it. I will be updating and reporting here regularly because this place is great for keeping track and stuff. Any questions at all, I'll try my best to answer :)

Alright thanks for reading :D

Day 1: I took my first Tetralysal capsule this morning after breakfast. Of course there has been nothing different so far but I feel good. I'll most likely start with the Differin tonight :)

MemberMember
(@cccaig)

Posted : 08/04/2012 11:30 am

Hiya

I too started Tetralysal capsule and Differin just 3 days ago. I'm 24 now and have been on roaccutane at 17 (other oral and topical treatments years before that). Since 21 I managed my acne when it returned slightly with Duac but I have now built a tolerance to that.

Can't share any experiences on the Tetralysal other than that in my past I can't recall experiencing any horrible side effects from tablets I've taken. If you look above on Reviews and search for it, it has a lot of people's experiences about it.

As for the Differin, yes a pea sized amount. When applying it I think you'll see a little goes a long way. If you apply to much you'll simply get red, burnt like patches on your skin and dry it out loads!!! Invest in a decent moisuriser now, lol. My skin isn't really that sensitive as had so much used on it but just in case I have brought of Amazon (only in the USA) CeraVe Facial Moisuriser AM and PM. Being a girl I want to avoid at all costs the dry skin as it affects putting my make up on! Haha. As for where to put it, I thought this. My acne is only just coming back on one cheek, one side of my jaw line and chin. So far I have just been applying it to those areas. I am concerned about the inital breakouts people talk about and if I currently don't have spots all over my face I don't want any to start appearing from me covering my face in this stuff!! I may be wrong about doing this though? I would use a small amount every night if you feel you don't have sensitive skin. If you do then yea may be best every other night until you see how your skin reacts?

Good luck! Will keep an eye on your blog!

x

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 08/04/2012 1:11 pm

Hiya

I too started Tetralysal capsule and Differin just 3 days ago. I'm 24 now and have been on roaccutane at 17 (other oral and topical treatments years before that). Since 21 I managed my acne when it returned slightly with Duac but I have now built a tolerance to that.

Can't share any experiences on the Tetralysal other than that in my past I can't recall experiencing any horrible side effects from tablets I've taken. If you look above on Reviews and search for it, it has a lot of people's experiences about it.

As for the Differin, yes a pea sized amount. When applying it I think you'll see a little goes a long way. If you apply to much you'll simply get red, burnt like patches on your skin and dry it out loads!!! Invest in a decent moisuriser now, lol. My skin isn't really that sensitive as had so much used on it but just in case I have brought of Amazon (only in the USA) CeraVe Facial Moisuriser AM and PM. Being a girl I want to avoid at all costs the dry skin as it affects putting my make up on! Haha. As for where to put it, I thought this. My acne is only just coming back on one cheek, one side of my jaw line and chin. So far I have just been applying it to those areas. I am concerned about the inital breakouts people talk about and if I currently don't have spots all over my face I don't want any to start appearing from me covering my face in this stuff!! I may be wrong about doing this though? I would use a small amount every night if you feel you don't have sensitive skin. If you do then yea may be best every other night until you see how your skin reacts?

Good luck! Will keep an eye on your blog!

x

Hey :D Thanks a million for the reply! Awww I'm sorry to hear you're 24 and you still have to deal with acne :( but yay that we're both on the same stuff and we're almost at the same stage!!

Okay thats no problem but yep thanks for that! I did a little searching about Tetralysal and I haven't come across anyone reporting any serious side affects with it.

I'll take your word on the Differin though :) is a moisturiser really essential though? Like does the Differin (or even Tetra) dry out the skin much? I naturally have oily skin but thanks for the thought I'll definitely keep it in mind! Yep I think I'm gonna apply it to the areas prone to acne...why risk ruining my forehead when I've probably only gotten 4 or 5 pimples in my life there?!? Oh god the initial breakout is going to give me nightmares. Especially when I've like a prom thing in like 3 weeks :/ if I was to get one I'd rather it be after one week but I've read that it's normally 3-5 weeks..but here's hoping for no IB for both of us :D

Thank you very much for your help and advice :) you're a beautiful looking woman btw ;)

MemberMember
(@cccaig)

Posted : 08/05/2012 8:13 am

Aw thanks :) too kind. I hope we avoid an IB too! Especially you having a prom to go to!

I do think moisturising is crucial even with oily skin (perhaps look at clinique's dramatically different moisturising gel). Prevention rather than cure is better in my eyes as when you have acne as well as red, sore flaky patches it gets you a bit down. They can be a bugger to shift and best to stop using the differin until it clears. Whether differin will cause this like others have for me in the past- I'd rather not find out if at all possible lol. Differin is meant to be the better of the topical retinoids for it's least side effects. Time will tell I guess!

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 08/05/2012 11:21 am

Aw thanks :) too kind. I hope we avoid an IB too! Especially you having a prom to go to!

I do think moisturising is crucial even with oily skin (perhaps look at clinique's dramatically different moisturising gel). Prevention rather than cure is better in my eyes as when you have acne as well as red, sore flaky patches it gets you a bit down. They can be a bugger to shift and best to stop using the differin until it clears. Whether differin will cause this like others have for me in the past- I'd rather not find out if at all possible lol. Differin is meant to be the better of the topical retinoids for it's least side effects. Time will tell I guess!

You're very welcome! Aww it would be lethal if we did...or only a minor one. Yep I'd hate to look chronically bad in the tux for my pictures with my date, my friends and the whole group :/

You've got a point with the moisturising. I found some brand new Dove moisturising creme and it looks safe enough but I might go and get something more gentle if I need to. Yeah Differin is supposed to be the least potent but does it's job over a longer time than others which isn't a bad thing at all. All the best :)

Day 2: Well I've decided not to look in the mirror for more than 15 seconds in the morning and the same for the night and when I washed my face lightly this morning I noticed my red marks seemed a tone or two lighter but I've got like 3 or 4 new tiny harmless looking whiteheads in the areas I applied Differin last night. Besides that it's all good after day 1. The one active proper pimple I had has kinda eased in soreness and inflammation and is in the healing stage now I'd imagine. I've got about 3 or 4 more dead and in the healing stage too. Pretty happy though overall. I was looking up Tetralysal side effects and one of them was eye tiredness and what do you know my eyes seemed really sensitive and tired this morning although they're fine now so maybe it's just natural tiredness :D I have had a few late nights before this weekend so maybe it's just catching up on me a little haha

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 08/09/2012 6:03 am

Day 6: I can't complain at all. Doing good so far. Have only gotten one 'proper pimple' since I started. Few whiteheads that are going away faster than normal. My mom said the other day that my skin appears less red and inflamed which is a good thing :) Back acne is starting to improve too...I'm actually using Differin every night now. No irritation, peeling or anything. Skin is a little dry but I think thats to do with the Tetralysal because I noticed that the day I first took it :P So yep thats about it! I'm fairly happy so far...please stay away initial breakout dude :L

MemberMember
(@saulrod)

Posted : 08/09/2012 4:16 pm

Good luck man. I hope you don't get an initial breakout. Im on differin cream, doxycycline and 5% BP and my initial breakout has been happeping since day 3 and now I'm on day 21 and still breaking out, although my face is more smother and younger looking. Good luck and keep us posted. eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 08/11/2012 10:13 am

Good luck man. I hope you don't get an initial breakout. Im on differin cream, doxycycline and 5% BP and my initial breakout has been happeping since day 3 and now I'm on day 21 and still breaking out, although my face is more smother and younger looking. Good luck and keep us posted. eusa_pray.gif

Thanks for the support :) yep I hope I don't get one or at least not a bad one. That must be hell for you :/ I hope things improve but in a way maybe it's a good thing all the bad stuff is surfacing? Yep I'll make sure to keep everyone posted...for better or for worse :D Stay strong dude!!

Day 8: Nothing major to report. That pimple I mentioned in a previous post has grown into a very sore and inflamed one. Really sore and looks awful! It's on like the jawline too right at the back corner of my face. Thats gonna leave a mark for sure no matter if I don't touch that. Other than that I've got a few small pimples on my upper neck just below my jaw line and then one small red pimple right next to that big pimple I talked about just above ^. Other than that it's all good. My skin is getting dry though and starting to flake. I think I'm gonna skip the Differin for tonight. Just so that my skin can get a bit of moisture and stuff back. I hope it doesn't have any consequences :)

Thats about it. I'll update in another two or so days :D

MemberMember
(@allisoncatherine)

Posted : 08/12/2012 5:14 pm

hey hon, just wanted to let you know that I had my IB from week 3-4 of using differin. It is not like "OH MY GOD...I WENT FROM LIKE 2 PIMPLES TO 200." Its just more than usual. As some go away, more will come. Its just a process of ridding your skin of its impurities. A lot of people I have met and whose stories i have read on here also report an IB around weeks 3-4....not during the first 2 weeks which is what it says on the website. So just go through it. The height of my IB lasted for about 2 weeks so by week 6 i was starting to clear up. KEY WORD: STARTING. 4 months in...I had clear skin. Don't expect to magically see PERFECT skin at exactly the "12 week" mark. Any questions, message me!

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 08/12/2012 5:21 pm

hey hon, just wanted to let you know that I had my IB from week 3-4 of using differin. It is not like "OH MY GOD...I WENT FROM LIKE 2 PIMPLES TO 200." Its just more than usual. As some go away, more will come. Its just a process of ridding your skin of its impurities. A lot of people I have met and whose stories i have read on here also report an IB around weeks 3-4....not during the first 2 weeks which is what it says on the website. So just go through it. The height of my IB lasted for about 2 weeks so by week 6 i was starting to clear up. KEY WORD: STARTING. 4 months in...I had clear skin. Don't expect to magically see PERFECT skin at exactly the "12 week" mark. Any questions, message me!

Hey there thanks for the reply :)

Ah okay thanks for that. It's been just over one week so far for me and I've gotten less pimples than normal so far but yep I'm expecting to break out by the end of the month!! I'm just hoping it's not too severe because like I mentioned above I've prom in two weeks... I know great timing to start a retinoid haha!?! It'd be great if it just happened the week after that. Oh thats good advice. Yep I'm a bit delusional that I'll be clear after two months but I guess we all can be like that at first! I'm totally delighted you're clear :D And four months isn't *that long* either. Good for you though, enjoy it for many many years to come :P

Thank you for everything :)

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 08/31/2012 1:52 pm

It's been 28 days of this regimen. I'll post properly tomorrow or something. Kind of in a rush atm but I will say I'm happy so far :)

Later everyone!!

MemberMember
(@cccaig)

Posted : 09/03/2012 4:15 pm

Hey, I'll try and post an update tomorrow. Glad your happy so far. Would have to agree with that as well so far :) x

MemberMember
(@cccaig)

Posted : 09/05/2012 4:51 pm

So it's just over a month now and I'm pleased so far. First fortnight my skin was fine, no spots. Then I ovulated and had my period (think my acne is def hormonal related) which is when I had a breakout lasting about a fortnight but also I think was the differin IB. Last two days I have now been spotless. I quite quickly after starting the differin decided to apply it to all my face rather than affected areas. This has been fine and not caused me to break out in areas I didn't have spots which is what I was worried about. I'm guessing from the way retinoids work I'm likely to have another break out in 2/3 weeks time..yay :/ lol. Let's see! I think the tetralysal definitely helps with the IB. If I got a spot it only lasted 2 days and I forgot to take the tablet for 2 or 3 days and noticed that was when flare up was worse. Oh, I have actually in the last 2 days had really annoying tingling/itchy face throughout the day. Googled it and tingling normal apparently. Xx

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 09/30/2012 9:27 am

So it's just over a month now and I'm pleased so far. First fortnight my skin was fine, no spots. Then I ovulated and had my period (think my acne is def hormonal related) which is when I had a breakout lasting about a fortnight but also I think was the differin IB. Last two days I have now been spotless. I quite quickly after starting the differin decided to apply it to all my face rather than affected areas. This has been fine and not caused me to break out in areas I didn't have spots which is what I was worried about. I'm guessing from the way retinoids work I'm likely to have another break out in 2/3 weeks time..yay :/ lol. Let's see! I think the tetralysal definitely helps with the IB. If I got a spot it only lasted 2 days and I forgot to take the tablet for 2 or 3 days and noticed that was when flare up was worse. Oh, I have actually in the last 2 days had really annoying tingling/itchy face throughout the day. Googled it and tingling normal apparently. Xx

Good to see you're doing well :) How're you doing now??

Take care.

So it's been about two months and there is very good progress.... I rarely break out now and my skin tone is slowly going back to normal. Very happy eventhough my back still breaks out and has very bad red marks....Just got a months supply of Tetralysal and a tube of Differin which I'll be using every second day...so one day just the capsule, the next day just the gel...I'll see how it goes for a week or two!!!

MemberMember
(@cccaig)

Posted : 10/06/2012 7:28 am

Hey, had a bit of a break out lasting about a week (hormonal triggered again I think) but wasn't usual comodones it was little things on cheeks and couple of chin. Covered with make up. Think it's the pores on my cheeks pushing the crap out but getting stuck, if I scratch/pick them they kinda disappear?! Anyway things improving and end of that 'breakout'. Nothing new seems appearing!! Ran out of the oral antibiotic for about 4 days which I think hindered things. Face calm at the minute. Wanting to try for another baby in next few months though so dr said when I start trying I can't be on the differin or tetracyclin :/ Glad to hear your seeing improvements too! How's the every other day thing going? X

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 10/26/2012 10:42 am

Hey, had a bit of a break out lasting about a week (hormonal triggered again I think) but wasn't usual comodones it was little things on cheeks and couple of chin. Covered with make up. Think it's the pores on my cheeks pushing the crap out but getting stuck, if I scratch/pick them they kinda disappear?! Anyway things improving and end of that 'breakout'. Nothing new seems appearing!! Ran out of the oral antibiotic for about 4 days which I think hindered things. Face calm at the minute. Wanting to try for another baby in next few months though so dr said when I start trying I can't be on the differin or tetracyclin :/ Glad to hear your seeing improvements too! How's the every other day thing going? X

Hey there how're you getting on? :) Apologies for not updating this, I'm reeeealy busy with college and my social life that comes with it!

Well I just couldn't get the guts to do the every second day thing...I'm still on the capsules every day but I've been less strict with the differin. Sometimes 3x a week or sometimes every day if the week is bad in terms of breakouts.

Still doing pretty good....only a few spots a week if any. Red marks are still a big issue but getting better with less new ones coming up....I've been drinking alcohol alot at least twice a week with nights out in college and I think that is having an effect on me...I'm trying hard to get rid of it or at least limit it...that plus crappy food...I love living away from home but I miss proper meals instead of eating out of a mircowave or a packet.....

Oh wow congrats on trying for a baby :D I wish you every success...such a brilliant thing to see!! That's terrible but hopefully you won't need them when the time is right :)

Thanks for everything!

I'll try and update a little sooner next time haha.

Take care.

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 11/18/2012 8:59 am

Stopped taking the antibiotic two weeks ago and have started to break out again...nothing too severe yet but yeah, think I'm going to get another prescription for tetralysal. I'm still using differin as there is still some left in the tube....

I've started taking supplements too....a multivitamin, zinc, fish oil ans EPO....hopefully they'll have positive effects.

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 12/22/2012 8:25 am

Okay so I've been off antibiotics since the last time I posted....the supplements I've been taking are having some positive effect but I'm breaking out still. Sometimes they're pretty bad....and yeah it's getting me down a fair bit....so yeah just got another box of antibiotics and got Differin CREAM there, they said it'll do the same as the gel....

So yep, now this is what I'm taking:

Tetralysal

Multivitamin

Zinc

Fish Oil

EPO (almost gone)

and the Differin....

Let's see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@emancipator)

Posted : 12/27/2012 6:57 am

I've been breaking out bad along my jawline but I think it's after calming down now and the capsule-cream combo seems to be working away at them....will update in a few.

MemberMember
(@kyou)

Posted : 01/27/2013 10:41 am

Hey i was am taking the tetralysal antibiotic its been 6 weeks and suddenly i've had a huge flare up!!! :c

Is this normal?