Notifications
Clear all

Has Using Harsh Cleansers Destroyed My Skin...

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/02/2012 4:25 pm

Does anyone else believe using harsh cleansers (unknowingly at the time) and thick moisturizers caused alot more problems than it has solved.

I washed for 4/5 years with clean and clear deep cleansing exfoliation scrub. and then caked on a thick load of clean and clear dual action moisturizer. I was only 15/16 when I started doing this and didnt know any better.

After I started getting a few more spots than usual at the age of 21 I started looking for other methods and realized I had probably been stripping my skin with harsh chemicals for years. After stopping using these products my skin has got progressively worse and has no ability to moisturize or repair itself at all. Its extremely dry and dehydrated and full of clogged pores/whiteheads/blackheads etc..

I firmly believe if I would have just been gentle for all these years when I didnt know any better I wouldnt be dealing with these problems now.

I dont know if the damage is done or if its repairable to make your skin be able to look after itself with the minimum of products.

Mabye these companies do this knowing that once you use these products over time your skin will rely on them and will totally destroy its ability to look after itself.

Mabye the products that are suppose to help are doing the exact opposite and making things worse. I dont know.

Surely they know which ingredients are considered to be harsh or comedogenic but I dont believe they care as long as people are buying them.

And all the products with the best reviews that actually work seem to be discontinued.

Im not trying to come across as a crazy conspiracy theorist but I do believe along with alot of other people that they truly have no interest in what damage their product may or may not be doing as long as people continue to buy them without doing the proper research.

Before I started looking into this more I would never even considered to read the ingredients list (along with 95% of the population) and some of the ingredients used in nearly all these products seem truly horrifying.

Fuck all the big companies that will use cheaper alternatives at the expense of peoples skin and health just to save on costs. I believe they are playing with peoples lives and actively fooling people into buying things they dont need and they know is likely to do more harm than good.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 08/02/2012 11:42 pm

Yeah I was using a face soap with all sorts of chemicals for a year and my skin was amazing. That didn't last long obviously

MemberMember
(@lacydecay)

Posted : 08/03/2012 10:32 am

Yes i really do believe that harsh chemicals can ruin skin. Im proof of it infact. I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder which started off from a really young age (10 years old) and this make me SO paranoid of my appearence. Id use my elder siblings skincare products (a strong face wash, moisturiser, toner, oils etc) you name it.

And now i suffer from EXTREMELY sensitive skin on my face. Even tap water brings me out in a red bumpy rash. I spent 2 years trying to find a skin cream that didnt cause an issue.

Its a nightmare, seriously. And i know its from all the years of crap i put on my cheeks because its only my cheeks that i have problems with. My nose, forehead, chin, body can handle any cream.

I feel so angry with myself that i was so clueless. And now im paying the price in the form of permanant, self inflicted, severe eczema. :(

Id love people to not make the same mistake. And to try more natural, organic products.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/03/2012 11:02 am

Yes i really do believe that harsh chemicals can ruin skin. Im proof of it infact. I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder which started off from a really young age (10 years old) and this make me SO paranoid of my appearence. Id use my elder siblings skincare products (a strong face wash, moisturiser, toner, oils etc) you name it.

And now i suffer from EXTREMELY sensitive skin on my face. Even tap water brings me out in a red bumpy rash. I spent 2 years trying to find a skin cream that didnt cause an issue.

Its a nightmare, seriously. And i know its from all the years of crap i put on my cheeks because its only my cheeks that i have problems with. My nose, forehead, chin, body can handle any cream.

I feel so angry with myself that i was so clueless. And now im paying the price in the form of permanant, self inflicted, severe eczema. sad.png

Id love people to not make the same mistake. And to try more natural, organic products.

Sorry to hear that.

I think its incredible how they advertise these products with absolutely no warning of the dangers of using them.

Unless you have researched into them why would you think a product designed to wash your face could actually severely damage it.

Discusting in my opinion.

MemberMember
(@justsomeguy44)

Posted : 08/03/2012 4:19 pm

I totally agree. In my opinion, cleansers should always be light. Medicated cleansers don't do jack shizzz for acne. I'm all about topical leave on creams.

When I was younger, and dumber, I used the Panoxyl 10% BP bar on my face because I saw it had lots of stars from reviews on the site... little did I know people said it was great for BODY acne, not the face.

Needless to say, my face dried out BAD, and I still got tons of pimples. I went to the derm and they made me put prescription lotions and aquaphor all over my face until it all flaked off and I could start a topical treatment.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 08/03/2012 5:14 pm

The store brand products have preservative chemicals for shelf life. Lumiplexion has great cleaners. They are Ph balanced and gentle with a lot less ingredients than the others. I started using the green (normal) cleanser 22 years ago and have never found anything better.

MemberMember
(@nyakabr)

Posted : 08/04/2012 9:32 am

Yes, I think cleaners have done far more harm than good to me. I use a mixture of honey and seasalt as a mild scrub as well as diluted apple cider vinegar everyday. This has made a huge difference and I have seen some wonderful results. I threw everything else away.

MemberMember
(@albert88)

Posted : 10/29/2012 5:55 am

Of course cleansers destroys the skin, and makes acne prolong and get worse. You are irritating and destroyingn the natural protection of your skin with those cleansers, then i wouldnt be surprised of pimples formation each day.