Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amnesiac

High calcium in blood?

Well i recently did a test for an endochrinologist test to check my thyroid function, those were ok but my calcium levels were way high, yet i don't consume milk or cheese or any calcium source at all most of the time.

He said it could be my parathyroid may have some problems.

ANyone think this could be related to my acne?

OMG!!!!!!

I have been asking this question for a while now. I can't find the answer anywhere online. Also, I had never had acne before in my life, not a single bump. Then this year I started feeling tired adn having muscle pain and I started breaking out. So I went to the doctor and she told me I had high calcium levels in my blood. I didn't get treatment for it. But I think it is related. I am pretty sure.

I mean it has to do with your parathyroid glands secreting to much hormones to so idk. But I am pretty sure it's linked.

Well i recently did a test for an endochrinologist test to check my thyroid function, those were ok but my calcium levels were way high, yet i don't consume milk or cheese or any calcium source at all most of the time.

ANyone think this could be related to my acne?

If you're suspecting that your acne is hormonal, there isn't anything directly correlating acne to hypercalcemia(as I've read so far). Though the parathyroid glands secrete many hormones, androgen, which is the hormone responsible for acne isn't. We could thank the adrenal glands for that and the pituitary gland for other contributing hormones.

"A bevy of hormones can cause acne to form. Hormones responsible for acne include testosterone (an androgen), anabolic steroids, gonadotropins, corticosteroids and ACTH. Stress increases circulating glucocorticosteroids and should be factored into the hormone driven flare-up."-acne and hormones by dermdoctor

High serum calcium concentrations (hypercalcemia) RESULT in loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, constipation, muscle weakness, fatigue, mental dysfunction, and increased thirst and urination.(encylopedia Brittanica)

Your endocrinologist will have to know what's causing your hypercalcemia (origin, history, and what you can do about it)

And didn't say "I wonder if you've been so damn Vitamin D deprived for so long that it's given you hyperparathyroidism." I am not a doctor but geez, please tell me he's got a Vitamin D serum level test scheduled for you.

Could it relate to acne? Probably not, but not impossible if you've essentially been so starved for Vitamin D so long that your system is falling apart. Vitamin D plays many roles in the skin, and if you have virtually none, it may make it hard for you to utilize zinc, among innumerable other known and unknown unpleasant effects. If you do have hyperparathyroidism induced by chronic Vitamin D starvation, then that suggests you get very little outdoor light exposure. Thus, your acne and your high calcium could have a common cause, rather than one causing the other.

I mean it has to do with your parathyroid glands secreting to much hormones to so idk. But I am pretty sure it's linked.

You do realize that "hormone" is just a gigantic category that means "any protein that acts as a messenger", right? When people say "hormonal acne", they really mean "acne that might be related to some particular sex hormone, but since that's never been proven, let's be as vague as possible so the resulting statement cannot possibly be proved right or wrong."

:D

And didn't say "I wonder if you've been so damn Vitamin D deprived for so long that it's given you hyperparathyroidism." I am not a doctor but geez, please tell me he's got a Vitamin D serum level test scheduled for you.

Could it relate to acne? Probably not, but not impossible if you've essentially been so starved for Vitamin D so long that your system is falling apart. Vitamin D plays many roles in the skin, and if you have virtually none, it may make it hard for you to utilize zinc, among innumerable other known and unknown unpleasant effects. If you do have hyperparathyroidism induced by chronic Vitamin D starvation, then that suggests you get very little outdoor light exposure. Thus, your acne and your high calcium could have a common cause, rather than one causing the other.

Nope she didn't schedule any other test. She just said we had to monitor it which she hasn't since March.

Well the vitamin D thing made alot of sense. I use to spend a lot of time outside, and then I got an afternoon job and hadn't been able to spend much time in the sun... Now I have a 7-3 job and I get to watch kids play during recess so that gives me a good 30 min outside. My acne has improved a lot! I just took up bike riding again so maybe that will make a difference.. Thanks for the information, and helping me realize what I had done differently.

Edited by Eek!