Notifications
Clear all

Can Accutane Cause Hypothyroidism?

MemberMember
(@miya)

Posted : 07/31/2012 9:26 pm

I have an appointment with my Derm to start my 2nd course of accutane in 2 weeks but have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism based on a TSH of 6.79. I've googled and found anecdotal evidence of accutane causing hypothyroidism but these were mainly other ppl reporting it, I don't know whether there is scientific proof that Accutanes caused this. I was all set to start my 2nd accutane course since the side effects from my 1st course was mild and tolerable and i have started to break our again 3 months ago but now with the uncertainty of whether accutane led to my hypothyroidism, I'm not sure if I should go through with it. I'm afraid of causing other permanent damage to my body...but then again it could be coincidental...

I got my thyroid labs checked a year before starting accutane And my Dr said everything was normal...and now suddenly I have hypothyroidism. I asked my endocrinologist whether accutane could've caused this and she said that since its been over a year since my first course, that it was not likely. Can anyone provide more info? I don't know whether to go through with another course of accutane....I just want to be done with acne once and for all, this sucks!

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 07/31/2012 10:13 pm

Yes Accutane can cause Hypothyroidism! There are very few studies, but there is info regarding this when given to patients for Chemo! I would not take Accutane if you have a thyroid disorder, that is probably why you are having acne again. Thyroid can cause a lot of hormonal issues. Get your thyroid fixed.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/thy.2010.0265

This one says reversible, but no one can be 100%

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/thy.2010.0265

You must remember everyone is diffrent, so some may have temporary side effects others may not be.

MemberMember
(@miya)

Posted : 07/31/2012 11:29 pm

Thanks for the info and link! My dr wants to start me on synthroid but I'm scared Bc Ive read that it can worsen or cause acne in some people.

I'm thinking there's a probable chance that the accutane caused the hypothyroidism Bc my thyroid was perfectly normal before my accutane course and I've read about others being diagnosed with hypothyroid after accutane. There's no way of proving that it's not a coincidence though. Most likely I will tell my Derm that I've changed my mind about going back on accutane...Im scared of other possible permanent effects...either way I have 2 weeks to decide.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 07/31/2012 11:56 pm

Have you ever considered that elevated TSH and other thyroid hormones are the reason accutane works in the first place?

That report also stated the symptoms went away on their own, coinciding with the rate at which accutane leaves the bloodstream.

In other words, it's a temporary side effect until the drug leaves your system.

If your accutane pills were infused with a heavy metal additive however, you may need more than time to heal your endocrine glands.

Try researching iodine, magnesium, selenium, and algenic acid as a potential detox regimen.

MemberMember
(@miya)

Posted : 08/01/2012 12:10 am

I took the generic claravis, no clue if that's infused with metal additive or not...It's already been over a year since my course ended...you'd think accutane has already left my system! I thought I was lucky and got away with no permanent damage grrr. At least I found out right before I'm about to start a 2nd round of accutane. But now i don't know what to do about my acne! Accutane was the only thing that worked :(.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 08/01/2012 12:16 am

I took the generic claravis, no clue if that's infused with metal additive or not...It's already been over a year since my course ended...you'd think accutane has already left my system! I thought I was lucky and got away with no permanent damage grrr. At least I found out right before I'm about to start a 2nd round of accutane. But now i don't know what to do about my acne! Accutane was the only thing that worked sad.png.

I am with you! I recently gave up accutane and my acne came back. I've had lots of luck with epsom salt though! It cleared my face up nicely sideways.gif

http://www.acne.org/...ome-affordable/

http://www.acne.org/...1067/page1.html

MemberMember
(@keepgoing)

Posted : 10/16/2013 12:40 am

We are still trying to get to the bottom of this, but since my son started using accutane he developed severe chronic fatigue. It now looks like it is caused by low cortisol or possibly hypothyroidism. Though there might have been a pre-disposition, I'm pretty sure that accutane triggered what is happening to him now.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 10/16/2013 8:09 pm

Yes,you be 100% correct in stating accutane triggered your sons issues! Good luck in getting doc to admit it though! There are studies on thyroid and accutane and reports. I would have him stop and look at holistic fourm or light therapy!

MemberMember
(@charles123456789)

Posted : 11/18/2023 12:51 pm

I took accutane back in the 80s and I now have severe hypothyroidism too. Taking meds does little to help.