Notifications
Clear all

21/male/second Round

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 07/25/2012 7:36 am

This is going to be my log for my second round of Accutane and hopefully last.I'm currently on 40mg per day for my cystic acne which has been up and down for about 3 years now after my first initial round of accutane.My doctor advised my to take only one pill a day for the first week to minimize the side effects and allow my body to get used to the medication.

Hopefully this time around I wont experience any embarrassing situations such as having a bleeding nose on public transport without a tissue/handkerchief where blood was all over my face making me look like a crazy mad man.

Day 21

Currently feeling some usual side effects such as dry lips and skin.However the side effects have been more minimal compared to my first round.Currently I have some joint pains and back so I'm thinking of taking some fish oil supplements to relieve the pain for taekwondo.Currently training 5 days a week but at this rate I'm going have to cut down to maybe 3.Acne situation is getting better but no miracle since my acne wasn't the best.The reality is that it got worst through the first 2 weeks or so but the acne have been flaring down lately so fingers crossed.So after 21 days theres noticeable hyper pigmentation on my face from past acne and current acne and I know they wont fade after 1 month with or without power drugs.But the reason I took accutane was to prevent further acne scarring so that my skin can heal.

Products

Cetaphil moisturing lotion

Head and Shoulders /Tgel

Cetaphil foaming face wash

Blitex chap stick

Lucas pawpaw oitment

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/25/2012 9:29 am

I am almost finished my first month on accutane, got my derm appointment this friday. I have cystic acne too with real bad scarring on my cheeks, scarring that I can't convinve myself will ever improve/go away.

My derm said that scarring treatments cannot be started until a year after accutane. Has your derm recommended any scar treatments for when you complete your course? And do you know of any creams/ointments that help with the red marks?

Best of luck with your course btw :) Sucks having crap skin eh.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 07/25/2012 9:50 am

I am almost finished my first month on accutane, got my derm appointment this friday. I have cystic acne too with real bad scarring on my cheeks, scarring that I can't convinve myself will ever improve/go away.

My derm said that scarring treatments cannot be started until a year after accutane. Has your derm recommended any scar treatments for when you complete your course? And do you know of any creams/ointments that help with the red marks?

Best of luck with your course btw smile.png Sucks having crap skin eh.

Depending on what type of scars but this is from what I've learnt,for red marks the best thing that actually works in my opinion is time.But since you're on accutane dont worry too much about red marks and concentrate on the acne first.From my first course I believe that the red marks actually go away faster.Roughly after the third month post accutane there was no evidence (baby smooth skin? xD ) that I ever had acne except some minor icepick scars which were so small.Can be counted as battle scar? xD

For ointments and lotion I would stay away from mederma and bio oil which didn't work for me.It was more of a placebo effect where imo the rubbing was what helped the healing process for raised scars (keloids etc).This is what I experienced but vaseline or even Lucas paw paw ointment works as well since the rubbing was what helped the healing process.

Red marks aren't that bad since they are not permanent but if you like to speed the healing process then theres retin a which speeds up the natural healing process (exfoliation).Theres also chemical peels such as lactic acid peels (weekly) and tca ( very strong) that you can do at the derms office but that way after the accutane process.

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/27/2012 2:55 pm

Depending on what type of scars but this is from what I've learnt,for red marks the best thing that actually works in my opinion is time.But since you're on accutane dont worry too much about red marks and concentrate on the acne first.From my first course I believe that the red marks actually go away faster.Roughly after the third month post accutane there was no evidence (baby smooth skin? xD ) that I ever had acne except some minor icepick scars which were so small.Can be counted as battle scar? xD

For ointments and lotion I would stay away from mederma and bio oil which didn't work for me.It was more of a placebo effect where imo the rubbing was what helped the healing process for raised scars (keloids etc).This is what I experienced but vaseline or even Lucas paw paw ointment works as well since the rubbing was what helped the healing process.

Red marks aren't that bad since they are not permanent but if you like to speed the healing process then theres retin a which speeds up the natural healing process (exfoliation).Theres also chemical peels such as lactic acid peels (weekly) and tca ( very strong) that you can do at the derms office but that way after the accutane process.

Thanks alot for your advice :)

Yeah I have bio oil too, never really noticed much difference when using this stuff either and the feeling of it on your skin isn't too pleasant, feels like you've just dipped your face in a chip pan. I tried a cream called Revitol once too but I think it's actually just a scam this stuff because it's almost impossible to find any consumer reviews on the stuff!

Your right aboutt he red marks, guess I jsut get impatient sometimes! It's not the red marks that bother me so much because I know deep down they will go away over time but I do have raised, rolling and ice-pick scarring on my face from cysts. Not like all over my face just in the centre of both cheeks which is pretty annoying, why couldn't they be on the side of ym face or something lol. Grrrr. My GP had mentioned dermabrasion for my scarring once I've completed accutane but I really don't see how scrubbing away at my skin will make the scars any better, I've read horror stories where people say dermabrasion has actually made it worse!

I'm quite interested in finding out more about chemical peels etc for in the future, I've read a few encouraging reviews about those. I just wonder if they're painful and if there is much down time as I am a University student and also work part-time, how embarassing walking about with a big red face haha.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 07/30/2012 6:02 am

Thanks alot for your advice smile.png

Yeah I have bio oil too, never really noticed much difference when using this stuff either and the feeling of it on your skin isn't too pleasant, feels like you've just dipped your face in a chip pan. I tried a cream called Revitol once too but I think it's actually just a scam this stuff because it's almost impossible to find any consumer reviews on the stuff!

Your right aboutt he red marks, guess I jsut get impatient sometimes! It's not the red marks that bother me so much because I know deep down they will go away over time but I do have raised, rolling and ice-pick scarring on my face from cysts. Not like all over my face just in the centre of both cheeks which is pretty annoying, why couldn't they be on the side of ym face or something lol. Grrrr. My GP had mentioned dermabrasion for my scarring once I've completed accutane but I really don't see how scrubbing away at my skin will make the scars any better, I've read horror stories where people say dermabrasion has actually made it worse!

I'm quite interested in finding out more about chemical peels etc for in the future, I've read a few encouraging reviews about those. I just wonder if they're painful and if there is much down time as I am a University student and also work part-time, how embarassing walking about with a big red face haha.

Likewise my red marks make the acne 100X worst than it really is due to the build up of past acne.Even without popping I still get the red marks and it doesn't make it any better when my skin is pretty pale.

Chemical peels is alright as long as you know what your doing . Being a University student as well I don't recommend peels unless you want people staring at you around campus.It would be great if you could take one week off and do it.

Day 21

Currently the side effects has taken a toll on my body.During training today when I was kicking the pads ,I felt a pain at my knee area.So I've decided to stop training for the time being and see a doctor.Currently the acne has been flaring up more now ,just when it was starting to get better :(.My skin is pretty dry especially under my eye where the dry skin is causing the skin under my eyes to appear wrinkled and red.This may be due sunburn or reaction to the sunscreen.Amazingly my lips are fine and appear to be under control just from a cheap chap stick.I've also started to use some eye drops for my dry eyes after long days of work and study which has relieved the itchiness.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 09/03/2012 10:47 pm

Day 60

Finally reached the end of my second month and now I can honestly say that my acne has died down and my face is pretty flat except some scarring.Feels pretty good to able to glide my hands across my face without popping anything while washing my face.Came back from my dermatologist and now I'm on a higher dosage of 60 mg every 2 days and 40 mg for every other day.So far this second round hasn't been that bad.Maybe its because there are other things keeping me occupied but I'm pretty happy with the results so far and hope thing keeps on improving.

So to anyone that reads this (if theres anyone xD) if your'e considering accutane or have bad acne please consult your dermatologist asap since the earlier you do the less you have to suffer.I've also asked my derm what I could do to reduce the redmarks while on accutane and he said there isn't any substantial thing that would reduce it and that I should worry about the scarring after regimen.Anyway I'm gonna start update this thread if anything comes major comes up or whenever I'm free.If not assume that I'm dead ..just kidding or I'm busy with work or study.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 09/06/2012 9:59 pm

Day 63

Currently my nasal passage is pretty dry which caused a nose bleed.Feeling pretty tired and fatigued at times and the dry skin is increasing.It seems like the moisturiser is too weak or I need to apply more often.Also I have two small acne on the right side of my face which is no biggie but hope it goes away soon.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 09/15/2012 11:44 am

Day 72

Everything seems normal except some extreme dry places such as the areas where my mouth is. Cracks are starting to appear but this isn't out of the ordinary I guess since the area near the mouth moves the most throughout the day. Currently I have one big ass cyst and its red as hell :( and its really painful. Part of me thinks it because of the stress of exams lately but I'll be done with that soon so fingers cross no more acne.

Oh and guess what? Back to training muay thai! Nothing beats stress like dodging punches and perfecting kicks while gasping for air pondering why you signed up to this,for those who are curious should give it a go because it great way to stay in shape and maybe we'll spar one day.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 09/21/2012 7:43 am

Day 77

Just the usual side effect of dry skin and dry lips however there are other things on my mind at the moment.My dilemma right now is whether or not I should attend a upcoming music festival which I purchased tickets already a while back. Not sure how my skin is going to react to intense sun and temptations of alcohol all around me.Should I miss out on this big social event ? Or just rock up next year ?

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 09/22/2012 8:33 am

Feeling pretty crappy about my acne at the moment after going to a party. Getting heaps of comments like "wow you have so much acne now since the last time I've seen you". Just thought I was a step towards better skin apparently I'm now 10 steps back.sigh:(

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 09/27/2012 9:20 am

Day 84

Can't believe its day 84 already and I have not missed a single pill which I'm means nearly half way through my course. Its been a bumpy ride with ups and downs but my skin is feeling alright.Much better than 3 months ago. The only thing I regret was not dealing with the situation earlier and left it to the point where it was pretty bad.All well what done is done and i'm looking forward to seeing some improvement in the next 3 months and the life after this course.

My current regimen is pretty much just using a simple moisturiser and face wash which doesn't irritate my skin.The only cons at the moment now is that some of my energy has dropped and i'm more tired easily.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 10/12/2012 9:24 am

Day 99

Yay ! Day 99 and still feeling some common side effects however some thing are starting to become more noticeable such as my lip.My lips are so red its looks like I have some kind of lipstick on.My eyes are also starting to dry up some more and becoming red very easily and my cheeks are starting to blush during hot days.So right now my least favourite colour is red but overall my skin is looking pretty good and gradually healing up nicely. Currently have one active cyst which came out of no where but no biggie i'm pretty happy with my skin and on where its headed.Finger crossed !

This is probably the worst month to be on accutane if you like to drink beer since its Oktoberfest but I missed it since I've stayed dry for this long so I persevered and didn't go.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:47 am

Day 120

Everything is good went to see my dermatologist and apparently my acne is now inactive and I will remain on the meds for anot her two months.Same dosage of 60 and 40 alternating days so no change in dosage this time around. Also my blood turned out normal so theres a sigh of relief, my skin isn't that bad but clearly there some moderate scarring and red marks still present.Dermatologist says lasers an option but I'm not sure if I have the money for it or if my skins needs it but we'll see how it goes after the treatment.Side effects has been the same old however getting more nose bleeds and red eyes these days.

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 11/13/2012 9:04 pm

Glad to hear that your acne is now inactive and your blood tests are fine, hopefully the last two months will fly by.

This is probably the worst month to be on accutane if you like to drink beer since its Oktoberfest but I missed it since I've stayed dry for this long so I persevered and didn't go.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:38 am

Glad to hear that your acne is now inactive and your blood tests are fine, hopefully the last two months will fly by.

Mate what's Oktoberfest like? I've thought about going, I just have to develop a taste for beer first (bourbon and whiskey drinker).

I was surprised that my blood work were actually pretty good according to the doc because I didn't have the best diet especially at uni.Seem like your acne has improved a lot as well.

Oktoberfest is pretty awesome I went last year and didn't go this year for obvious reason.Not much of a drinker as well but my faculty drinks the most so I'm usually around guys that drink beer all day on campus.Found a vid on last year's event UNSW Oktoberfest its was a good night of beer and people in costumes and I recommend you go if you have a chance.

Glad I'm clearing up for summer as well but the worst thing being on this med is probably going to the beach and getting massive sunburns.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 11/17/2012 2:49 am

Day 130

Everything is red these days...eyes are red from dryness ,lips are red ,red nose bleeds and red face from the sun.Side effects has kind of ramp up a notch I guess but nothing I cant handle.Also I just remembered did how many blood test did people have during accutane ?I thought I would get another one after the 4th month but the doctor didn't mention anything except my blood results from the previous test was great.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 11/25/2012 6:06 am

Quick update today since theres nothing special just taking the pills as normal. Got sunburnt yesterday at the stereo sonic festival so skin is kinda sore at the moment The weathers been good but theres a heatwave in Sydney which is bad for me.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 11/29/2012 9:18 am

My skin has a small zit !!! nothing major but its not inflamed or anything hopefully it doesn't grow any bigger. Also had my first drop of alcohol in the last couple months and currently do not feel good. My stomach hurts for some reason and I have a massive headache but I'm not sure whether it was the food or the alcohol.Didn't take my pills today since I drank some alcohol.

MemberMember
(@shinataro)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:32 am

Day 180

Yay! Finally done and my skin hasn't changed much tbh (still clear) with scarring. I'm going to have to ask the derm what I can do to reduce the red mark quickly but other than that experienced the normal side effects. The red marks are still noticeable even after 6 months but I think it has got to do with taking accutane where my skin has been healing slower than usual where my skin is scarring more easily during accutane and of course the increase in acne count during the course.

Wow the site has change appearance since the last time I wrote on here and its also a new year ! Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays and break. I'll update after my appointment with my derm and my blood test. Fingers cross there nothing wrong with my liver... especially after those xmas parties

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:26 pm

That's awesome! Will you show us before and after pics? :)

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 01/26/2013 1:01 am

Glad to hear that you're clear and finished your course. Hopefully your scarring will shrink over time.

Like you I also enjoyed myself over the new years period, but hey as a once off it should be okay.