Notifications
Clear all

Recording Log- Finally Starting Accutane/claravis 40 Mg/day

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 07/23/2012 3:06 pm

Hey everyone!

I will officially start my accutane treatment today. My dermatologist prescribed a dosage of 40 mg (once per day during the evening). My name is Kyle I'm 20 years old and I have moderate to severe acne, primarily on my cheeks and around my jawline. I've had acne since I was 15/16 but this past year, my acne has become more severe and has taken a toll on my life.

I'm a college student and my acne tends to become more severe as I study/stress myself out. I've read through many many many forums and I'm hoping the positives will outweigh the negatives and this medicine will turn my life around. I'm sick of constantly looking at the mirror and waking up with new spots on my face. I plan on using cetaphil daily facial cleanser and cerave moisturizer.

What chapstick do you guys recommend I buy? I know my lips will need it! Also, I wear prescription contacts so if my eyes do become dry, what type of eye drops should I buy?

Thanks guys! Any tips/comments? I'll update this thread every 3 days or so because I'm online very often. If I become more confident I will post pictures of my skin. I'm just very self conscious right now sad.png Wish me luck!! smile.pngsmile.png

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 07/24/2012 8:09 am

Hi Kyle,

You sound like the guy version of ME! hifive.gif I will be starting accutane (hopefully) the first week of August. It's such a pain in the ass process for girls but I guess we gotta do what we gotta do...

For lips I have heard that Aquaphor is a must but for a guy it might be a little lipglossy. However, for what it's worth, I would prefer to see a guy with shiny lips than peely lips! I'm also going to try pure lanolin which is nasty, nasty, nasty but I'll do anything to keep my lips from falling off. I'm not gonna lie...chapped lips are about the grossest thing I can think of. Maybe grosser than acnemad.gif haha. Also, Dr. Dan's Cortibalm comes highly recommonded for when they get really bad but guess something about the cortizone makes it a little undesirable to use all the time. Also, there is something called Lipsyl that I bought. It's still in the package and of course I haven't even started my meds yet so I can't say if it's really any good. TRUTH: I'm just so very sad that I won't be kissing for the next 6 months.eusa_silenced.gif

I will be using cetaphil and cereve as well.

I'm not ready to put acne pics up either...I totally feel you, brah. I don't want to look at myself so I'm sure as hell not ready for the world to see my face. I do appreciate those who do post though. Maybe once I start seeing some improvement I will feel more comfortable.

Good luck to you and I hope we can help each other along the way.comfort.gif I do plan on keeping a log as well, if you are interested.

~Celia

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 07/25/2012 4:35 pm

Hi Kyle,

You sound like the guy version of ME! hifive.gif I will be starting accutane (hopefully) the first week of August. It's such a pain in the ass process for girls but I guess we gotta do what we gotta do...

For lips I have heard that Aquaphor is a must but for a guy it might be a little lipglossy. However, for what it's worth, I would prefer to see a guy with shiny lips than peely lips! I'm also going to try pure lanolin which is nasty, nasty, nasty but I'll do anything to keep my lips from falling off. I'm not gonna lie...chapped lips are about the grossest thing I can think of. Maybe grosser than acnemad.gif haha. Also, Dr. Dan's Cortibalm comes highly recommonded for when they get really bad but guess something about the cortizone makes it a little undesirable to use all the time. Also, there is something called Lipsyl that I bought. It's still in the package and of course I haven't even started my meds yet so I can't say if it's really any good. TRUTH: I'm just so very sad that I won't be kissing for the next 6 months.eusa_silenced.gif

I will be using cetaphil and cereve as well.

I'm not ready to put acne pics up either...I totally feel you, brah. I don't want to look at myself so I'm sure as hell not ready for the world to see my face. I do appreciate those who do post though. Maybe once I start seeing some improvement I will feel more comfortable.

Good luck to you and I hope we can help each other along the way.comfort.gif I do plan on keeping a log as well, if you are interested.

~Celia

Hey Celia smile.png

Thanks for the advice and kind words. I'll definitely buy the aquaphor for my lips asap. I actually just read your log and you're right! You do sound like the girl version of me haha. I hope the medicine works for you and I'll definitely keep in touch/read your log.

Best of luck and keep me posted by updating yor log in August!

---

Day 3

I haven't experienced any serious side effects. I still haven't experienced the initial breakout everyone talks about and the only thing I've noticed is that my lips have become a tiny bit dry. My face has 2 or 3 active pimples and I really feel like the redness caused by the acne on my cheeks has already went down. We'll see though... eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 07/28/2012 10:11 pm

Day 6

Wow, I can't believe I've already been on accutane for a week! I've noticed that my skin has become VERY oily. I have tiny blackheads on my nose and my nose has become very shiny as well. My face is not dry at all so I haven't been using moisturizer. I don't know if this is normal? No other side effects so far...my lips are still the same (a bit dry). I also have a new & very painful cyst on my cheek so maybe this is the beginning of the IB phase. huh.png

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 07/29/2012 5:10 pm

Day 7

Yup, so this is definitely the beginning of the "initial breakout phase." Woke up with 6 or 7 active whiteheads around my chin and nose (don't break out here very often) and the really mean cyst on my cheek is aggravating the hell out of me. Really not looking forward to attending class this week cry.gif

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 07/30/2012 6:11 am

Hang in there, bro nod.gif I know....The IB is everyone's fear but very few get through without one :/ Keep focused on your school work and keep your eye on the prize! You'll get there...

How are your lips by the way and what kind of balm did you end up getting?

Question: Do you generally get cyctic acne or is this just since starting the accutane?

~Celia

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/30/2012 9:30 am

Hi Kyle! Hang in there with the IB. Try to keep focused on how great your skin is going to look! In the grand scheme of things, this IB is a really short period of time!

I actually want to vouch for pure lanonlin! That's what I use and I really really like it. It doesn't smell and while I haven't used Aquaphor to compare, I don't feel like it's sticky or messy (relatively speaking). You just want to make sure you purchase Real lanolin - I have this: https://www.amazon.com/Lanolin-Anhydrous-Pharmaceutical-Grade/dp/B000V70MWS/

and this (great little tubes for keeping with you): https://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Lanolin-Nipple-Cream-0-25/dp/B000PAPFGE/

Yes, it is used for breastfeeding mothers but don't baulk at that :)

I'm on Day 25 and I have a log too. Best of luck with your course!

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/01/2012 12:05 am

On 7/30/2012 at 5:11 PM, swingin2 said:

Hang in there, bro nod.gif I know....The IB is everyone's fear but very few get through without one :/ Keep focused on your school work and keep your eye on the prize! You'll get there...

How are your lips by the way and what kind of balm did you end up getting?

Question: Do you generally get cyctic acne or is this just since starting the accutane?

~Celia

My lips are extremely dry! I've been using aquaphor and I think it works great. No, I do not get cystic acne on a daily basis but thankfully that cyst disappeared in a day! I was really surprised at how fast it healed/disappeared. My face only has 2 active pimples right now and the red marks on my face are already getting lighter! I can really tell. I don't want to jinx it but my face is feeling really healthy right now and it's only been 9 days. I think I may have skipped the IB phase altogether and I'm feeling great. Hopefully it stays this way eusa_pray.gif

On 7/30/2012 at 8:30 PM, bodyandsoul said:

Hi Kyle! Hang in there with the IB. Try to keep focused on how great your skin is going to look! In the grand scheme of things, this IB is a really short period of time!

I actually want to vouch for pure lanonlin! That's what I use and I really really like it. It doesn't smell and while I haven't used Aquaphor to compare, I don't feel like it's sticky or messy (relatively speaking). You just want to make sure you purchase Real lanolin - I have this: https://www.amazon.com/Lanolin-Anhydrous-Pharmaceutical-Grade/dp/B000V70MWS/

and this (great little tubes for keeping with you): https://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Lanolin-Nipple-Cream-0-25/dp/B000PAPFGE/

Yes, it is used for breastfeeding mothers but don't baulk at that smile.png

I'm on Day 25 and I have a log too. Best of luck with your course!

Thank you! I'm feeling much better now and the 5/6 pimples that I had magically disappeared the next day. I was so happy hifive.gif I will definitely check out those tubes but the aquaphor has been working really well for now. I'll check out your log as well smile.png

Day 9

Things have been going very well and my skin feels great. During the past 2 days, I woke up with no active pimples on my face. Felt great :) My lips, however, are very dry. Also I've been having really bad headaches but this could be caused by stress from elsewhere. Let's hope things stay this way...

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/02/2012 4:42 pm

Day 11

Things are still looking really good. My skin is very calm and no new breakouts. My lips are still very dry (I expect they will remain like this throughout the entire treatment) but yesterday I started feeling pain in my lower back. I can only feel this pain when I try to bend over or when carrying things. My scalp has also been very itchy today. I did not know this was a possible side effect until I googled it but I've NEVER had dandruff before until now. I just purchased dandruff shampoo so hopefully that helps...

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 08/02/2012 6:37 pm

Hey brah... :)

I'm glad to hear that your IB wasn't too bad and your skin is doing well! Hopefully I AM your girl-twin and I will skip the flair up too. I saw my derm today and I start on Monday. I can't believe I had to wait a whole freakin' month to start. Lord knows if I was pregnant, it was be with baby Jesus #2.

Anyhow, let me know how the dandruff situation works out and what you are using. I did know that could be an issue but thank God I have tons of red hair (no, I am not a ginger. I tan, have green eyes and no freckles. I do not eat souls) so it wouldn't be too noticeable if I did. But still, it's something to deal with...

Be honest. Are your lips so dry that you would not want to kiss a girl? I know it is a stupid question but damnit...I don't want to give that up for 6 months! Pooooop.

Are you going to be bumped up to a higher dosage do you think? Not to be too personal or nosy, but how much do you weigh? I'm starting at 30 for a month and up to 60 for the remainder.

XOXO Keep on, keepin' on!!

~Celia

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/03/2012 2:38 pm

Hey brah... smile.png

I'm glad to hear that your IB wasn't too bad and your skin is doing well! Hopefully I AM your girl-twin and I will skip the flair up too. I saw my derm today and I start on Monday. I can't believe I had to wait a whole freakin' month to start. Lord knows if I was pregnant, it was be with baby Jesus #2.

Anyhow, let me know how the dandruff situation works out and what you are using. I did know that could be an issue but thank God I have tons of red hair (no, I am not a ginger. I tan, have green eyes and no freckles. I do not eat souls) so it wouldn't be too noticeable if I did. But still, it's something to deal with...

Be honest. Are your lips so dry that you would not want to kiss a girl? I know it is a stupid question but damnit...I don't want to give that up for 6 months! Pooooop.

Are you going to be bumped up to a higher dosage do you think? Not to be too personal or nosy, but how much do you weigh? I'm starting at 30 for a month and up to 60 for the remainder.

XOXO Keep on, keepin' on!!

~Celia

What's up Celia smile.png I know it's annoying having to wait but all the waiting will be worth it hopefully! It must be a bit more of a hassle being a girl and taking accutane haha. The dandruff shampoo worked pretty well actually... my scalp isn't itchy and I don't see any dandruff today. I used head and shoulders dandruff shampoo ( ) and I definitely recommend it. My lips? Ah yeah, they are so dry that I wouldn't want to kiss a girl. I pretty much don't have a sex life right now but I'm fine with it. I enjoy being single and I don't know what it'd feel like to kiss someone with dead skin all over my lipshuh.png You might be able to make it work though. I'm sure other's have...

Yeah, I think I will be bumped up to 60 mg in a few more weeks. My derm told me this so hopefully if all my tests look good, she'll bump me up and I weigh around 160 lbs or 72.5 kg (it's completely fine, not a nosy question at all). I thought 40 mg was a low dose for my weight but I was wrong. I'm definitely seeing results. Feel free to ask me any more questions. smile.png

Day 12

Things are still looking good. My skin is pretty much the same and just one small whitehead today. I am definitely noticing that my face is less bumpy and a lot smoother than usual. Lips are still dry and minor lower back pain when bending over but I was able to take care of the scalp/dandruff situation. Whew.

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/04/2012 12:34 pm

Day 13

Hello first nose bleed! Woke up today and my nose started to bleed for 2-3 min. I was able to stop it easily... still have dry lips/scalp too. My skin is also really dry so I applied tons of moisturizer. I also have 3 new pimples today. I'm guessing this is because my skin was really dry yesterday too but I didn't apply moisturizer and this caused me to break out? neutral.gif darn.

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/07/2012 11:56 am

Day 16

Hey guys smile.png more than halfway through the first month! Not much new except my face has been breaking out like the way it usually does. I really felt like things were getting better for about a 5 day time span but I've been getting whiteheads and some painful pimples throughout the past few days. I have a new cyst closer to my forehead and it kills! I'm hoping these really painful bump-like pimples are just part of the IB phase.

My lips aren't as dry because I realized regular chapstick has been working better than the aquaphor saywhat.gif Weird, I know. The back pain is getting a little worse (I can especially feel it in the morning).

I really hope the medicine is working eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/11/2012 3:43 pm

Day 20

No new side effects. My lips aren't dry anymore and barely feeling any back pain. I'm starting to think that maybe the 40 mg dose is no longer enough. I'll be taking 60 mg/day instead during month 2 (already visited my derm) and my face is showing little improvement. Definitely less redness.

I have a small complaint though- I've had a cyst (more like a bump) near my forehead for 5 days and it isn't shrinking! It doesn't hurt but it doesn't seem to be healing/disappearing. It's just THERE and I've never had something stay on my face for this long angry.png has this happened to anyone before?

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 08/17/2012 10:39 am

Hey there Batman

How are things?? Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you are doing well :)

MemberMember
(@alios)

Posted : 08/18/2012 1:02 am

I'd also like to know how you are doing! I think I have similar skin as you. I started Claravis 40mg a day (im 150lbs) about 10 days ago and in the first week my skin seemed to be getting a lot better and smoother, but now I am getting dry face/lips and had one biggg initial breakout about 2 days ago. I've also noticed that my usually lumpy, cystic acne comes in a lot more liquidy and soft (I know, gross) and goes away alot quicker, but leaves small reddish scabs that turn to marks. Anywho, Let us know! (:

MemberMember
(@spots_go_away)

Posted : 08/18/2012 8:17 am

if your side effects are minor then the dose is likely too little.. how much do you weigh? As for the forehead cysts.. you need to be PATIENT, it took 3 months for my cysts to begin to shrink.

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/18/2012 3:40 pm

Hey guys smile.png

Sorry it's been a week since I've updated. Time really feels like it's flying by...

Day 27

I hate to say it but my face isn't looking very good. Actually, this is probably the worst my face has looked in a very long time. I'm usually not the one to have more than one active cyst on my face (maybe one cyst and lots of pimples/whiteheads in other places) but right now I have 4 active cysts on my face! sad.png This is a pretty bad IB. The area around my left cheek bone actually looks bruised/blue because there is a very angry cyst purging underneath. It's very painful. Also, another cyst under my skin on my right cheek has made a portion of my cheek very red...it actually looks like a small rash.

Also, my entire face in general is looking inflamed. My red marks are definitely more noticeable. I'm still experiencing some back pain but my lips haven't been very dry (nothing that some Chapstick can't handle). My scalp also hasn't felt itchy and I haven't been seeing dandruff. No mood changes. I really wish I'd just see improvement soon. My face felt like it was getting better during the first week or so but now things aren't looking too good. The cyst/bump I first mentioned on day 16 is still there but it is getting smaller. Still, it has NEVER taken this long for a cyst/pimple to completely heal.

I have 3 40 mg pills left and I will be starting 60mg/day on Wednesday. One 30 mg in the morning and another 30 mg at night.

if your side effects are minor then the dose is likely too little.. how much do you weigh? As for the forehead cysts.. you need to be PATIENT, it took 3 months for my cysts to begin to shrink.

I weigh 170 lbs/77 kg so I know 40 mg is a low dosage but usually the dosing recommendations when starting accutane are 0.5mg/kg. I guess it makes sense to only be taking 40mg? My blood work was fine (knock on wood) so I've already picked up next month's medication. I'll be taking 60 mg/day instead which still isn't ideal (if considering 1 mg/kg) but I think I should see results...

Hey there Batman

How are things?? Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you are doing well smile.png

Hey Celia! Thank you. I'm hoping things improve and I'm still keeping up with your blog as well smile.png

I'd also like to know how you are doing! I think I have similar skin as you. I started Claravis 40mg a day (im 150lbs) about 10 days ago and in the first week my skin seemed to be getting a lot better and smoother, but now I am getting dry face/lips and had one biggg initial breakout about 2 days ago. I've also noticed that my usually lumpy, cystic acne comes in a lot more liquidy and soft (I know, gross) and goes away alot quicker, but leaves small reddish scabs that turn to marks. Anywho, Let us know! (:

I'll definitely keep you posted. Hopefully things will go better for you than they have been for me haha.

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/19/2012 12:05 pm

Day 28

Not much to report. Woke up with a new active near my cheek. Since I'm breaking out, this must mean the medicine is working...I hope whistling.gif

MemberMember
(@alios)

Posted : 08/19/2012 12:42 pm

Keep at it man! I'm a 19 year old male and one thing i have found is to stay reallly clean shaven. I didn't shave for the past few days and this morning my skin got really dry and flaky around my mouth and was stubborn even with moisturizing. I ran home and shaved my face and re-moisturized and bam, no more flakes. Other than that my skin is getting redder but I haven't been getting many whiteheads lately. Cysts still stubborn on my forehead, but I have long hair to cover that up. Day 12 for me!

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/19/2012 3:36 pm

Keep at it man! I'm a 19 year old male and one thing i have found is to stay reallly clean shaven. I didn't shave for the past few days and this morning my skin got really dry and flaky around my mouth and was stubborn even with moisturizing. I ran home and shaved my face and re-moisturized and bam, no more flakes. Other than that my skin is getting redder but I haven't been getting many whiteheads lately. Cysts still stubborn on my forehead, but I have long hair to cover that up. Day 12 for me!

Thanks, yeah I'm trying my hardest to keep my mind off the breakouts. 19? Well I just turned 20 a few weeks ago so it looks like I have someone to compare myself to cool.png yeah I definitely agree, I try to stay clean shaven all the time and think its better for my skin. My face is also getting redder (but you probably already know that) and it looks like I'm exactly 2 weeks ahead of you. Keep me updated and best of lucksurprised.gif

MemberMember
(@alios)

Posted : 08/21/2012 11:51 am

Good luck to you too! Will be nice to get an estimate of whats to come in future weeks. Day 14 for me. Woke up with my lips feeling really weird before putting Aquaphor on them, this morning was different as my face was already dry and flaky before taking a shower. A few new pimples that popped real quick in problem areas around my chin. Other than that, decently clear, just pinkish/red skin on my cheeks. College starts soon, this will be interesting.

MemberMember
(@darkknight07)

Posted : 08/22/2012 1:48 pm

Day 31 MONTH ONE COMPLETE

Took my first 30 mg (increased dosage from 40mg/day to 60mg/day) pill around noon today. Does anyone know if I have to take the second pill at midnight? I'm taking 30mg/twice a day and I'm guessing I should take one pill every 12 hours or does it not matter? My skin is still looking the same and these cysts are still lurking. The cyst I mentioned on day 16 is now almost completely gone (it's about time). My face has never looked worse and I've never had super 3D bumps like this under my skin. I can count 4 large bumps on my face right now. I'm noticing that I no longer have small whiteheads but instead the cysts just fill with puss. They're honestly like monsters. I've never had anything this large on my face before and there's a new one in a new spot everyday!

Side effects- minor back pain and chapped lips.

Good luck to you too! Will be nice to get an estimate of whats to come in future weeks. Day 14 for me. Woke up with my lips feeling really weird before putting Aquaphor on them, this morning was different as my face was already dry and flaky before taking a shower. A few new pimples that popped real quick in problem areas around my chin. Other than that, decently clear, just pinkish/red skin on my cheeks. College starts soon, this will be interesting.

Good to hear. I actually didn't start seeing any large cysts until day 20 or so but hopefully you won't! Yeah, I'll actually be moving away again for college next week so hopefully my face calms down by then. Not looking forward to it. neutral.gif

MemberMember
(@alios)

Posted : 08/22/2012 4:12 pm

Took my first 30 mg (increased dosage from 40mg/day to 60mg/day) pill around noon today. Does anyone know if I have to take the second pill at midnight? I'm taking 30mg/twice a day and I'm guessing I should take one pill every 12 hours or does it not matter?

Good to hear. I actually didn't start seeing any large cysts until day 20 or so but hopefully you won't! Yeah, I'll actually be moving away again for college next week so hopefully my face calms down by then. Not looking forward to it. neutral.gif

I am no expert but my Doc told me that taking the pills doesn't have to be exactly on time. Once around breakfast and then another around supper or bed time is what he told me!

I'm sorry to hear about the cysts :/, I can relate, before I started Claravis, I had probably an Almond sized one right on my right cheek. It jutted out and looked nasty, and you could tell everybody was looking at it when I would be social, but now has died down! luckily my forehead has been seeming to get the onslaught of cysts which is nice because I have long hair! Day 15 and still reddish skin and cracked lips at the corners that sting when I open my mouth wide.

MemberMember
(@alios)

Posted : 08/23/2012 6:19 pm

Face is still looking about the same, Day 16. A few whiteheads popped up in between my eyebrows and I still have dry skin before putting loads of moisturizer on. Have a red mark on my chin that is like stuck between being a pimple and a scab. Hopes are still high!