Notifications
Clear all

Started A New Regimen And My Face Got Ruined, I Feel So Hopeless (Pics)

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 07/22/2012 1:22 am

2 weeks ago I started using this MSM cream: http://www.iherb.com...ength-4-oz/9040

Then last week I added Manuka Honey and fresh Aloe Vera (straight from the plant) to the mix.

This was my skin a week ago:

Nee5g.jpg

KVFjN.jpg

uopDq.jpg

Kr9LD.jpg

kiMTX.jpg

sLC18.jpg

This was my skin 4 days ago:

X1wzt.jpg

This is my skin today:

Uiw36.jpg

PxK4l.jpg

FspbI.jpg

I feel like I'm in some horrible nightmare. I can't believe how much better it looked a week ago. And the hilarious thing is that a week ago I thought it looked bad... Now I think it looks gorgeous compared to this...

Obviously this is due to my new regimen. The horrible thing is that I started all these new products at basically the same time, so how can I even know what's going on? Also all these products are supposed to be fantastic for the skin and for acne scars. To repeat, my new products are MSM cream ( http://www.iherb.com...ength-4-oz/9040 ), manuka honey, and fresh aloe vera from the plant (I used to use it from a bottle then started the plant last week).

I know this is my problem and not yours but if anyone has any advice for me please do offer it. Someone suggested that my new regimen might just be causing my skin to purge, and that it's temporary. Maybe that's true, but I don't know, I have a bad feeling because it really looks so much worse. I wish I could go back to a week ago.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/22/2012 1:53 am

It might be some sort of allergic reaction, I'm not sure...but I would advise you go to the derm and stop using the products that caused this...the derm can help you out. I know how you feel, a week ago my skin was better too and then I made it worse. Just be hopeful that it can only get better from here. xo

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/22/2012 5:53 am

Ok, take a deep breath and let it out. Now, stop all your products and give your days a few days break. If it's irritation, it should go down in a few days/weeks. When your skin calms down, introduce 1 thing into your skin care regimen at a time and give it a few weeks to see how your skin adjusts.

This is fixable. If your face is irritated still, you may want to start with the aloe vera but spot test first as some people are VERY sensitive to it. If acne is the main issue, then introduce the honey first, same process, spot test first before using it on your entire face.

Good Luck and keep us posted

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 07/22/2012 12:07 pm

Ok, take a deep breath and let it out. Now, stop all your products and give your days a few days break. If it's irritation, it should go down in a few days/weeks. When your skin calms down, introduce 1 thing into your skin care regimen at a time and give it a few weeks to see how your skin adjusts.

This is fixable. If your face is irritated still, you may want to start with the aloe vera but spot test first as some people are VERY sensitive to it. If acne is the main issue, then introduce the honey first, same process, spot test first before using it on your entire face.

I'm definitely stopping all the new products. I'm not sure if I should go completely bare though, because if I want to reverse this as fast as possible shouldn't I be using something that's good for my skin? Before I started this regimen I was using a product called Nature's Aid which has bottled aloe vera, vitamin E, and tee tree oil. I was thinking of going back on that but I dunno, maybe I should go completely bare?

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 07/22/2012 12:32 pm

Is it possible that my skin was purging? I know that some, if not all of the products I was using can have purging effects on the skin. Someone suggested earlier that these products were just bringing out impurities and that I should stick with it because the purging process could take a couple of weeks. I really don't want to mess this up and do the wrong thing right now.

The idea of sticking with the regimen scares me because I don't want to make my face worse, but the idea of doing nothing scares me too cause I feel like my face won't get any better if I do nothing. I don't even know which product caused this that's the worst part (although I suspect it's the fresh aloe vera since this did start the very next day after I started using that). The really weird thing though is that my forehead actually looks better than ever now, why didn't my forehead have a bad reaction too?

MemberMember
(@thatusernameisalreadytaken)

Posted : 07/22/2012 12:39 pm

It might be some sort of allergic reaction, I'm not sure...but I would advise you go to the derm and stop using the products that caused this...the derm can help you out. I know how you feel, a week ago my skin was better too and then I made it worse. Just be hopeful that it can only get better from here. xo

its not always easy for some to see a derm, if ur in the uk like me it can be very hard, you could be waiting for months and thats only if your doctor deemed it to be to his standard of severe. It seems in america derms are easier to get ?

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 07/22/2012 4:16 pm

dermatologist talk isn't needed in this thread sorry but I've been there done that.

What I'm really curious about is if this is purging or not. All 3 of the products I've been using (msm, manuka honey, fresh aloe) can reportedly cause purging (the msm and manuka for sure, not positive about the aloe). I'm wondering if maybe because I started all of these at once I just got an intense purging reaction and if it will go down? Keep in mind that this only started happening 6-7 days ago, so if this is a purge I'm going through it would make sense I guess. Not to mention all of my new spots are completely flat and dark.

keep in mind that I'm positive that I'm not allergic to any of the 3 products. I used to use bottled, mixed aloe vera all the time. Granted it wasn't as fresh or as potent, but if I was allergic it still would have made my face worse, which it didn't at all. And I was using a mild manuka honey on my face for almost 3 weeks with no bad reaction, it was only last week that I started one with a higher UMF, but still if I was allergic it would have been obvious weeks ago. And the MSM I've been using for almost 3 weeks as well, so if I was allergic it wouldn't have taken 2 weeks to have a bad reaction.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/22/2012 8:25 pm

I'm definitely stopping all the new products. I'm not sure if I should go completely bare though, because if I want to reverse this as fast as possible shouldn't I be using something that's good for my skin? Before I started this regimen I was using a product called Nature's Aid which has bottled aloe vera, vitamin E, and tee tree oil. I was thinking of going back on that but I dunno, maybe I should go completely bare?

Well at least let the irritation go away. If there is none, as i said, introduce one thing at a time and see how your skin reacts. Purging can sometimes come from products that exfoliate or draw toxins out of the skin. Irritation on the other hand is something different, redness, inflamed pimples, etc.

You'll have to wait and see.

MemberMember
(@dantheman123)

Posted : 07/22/2012 9:06 pm

Well at least let the irritation go away. If there is none, as i said, introduce one thing at a time and see how your skin reacts. Purging can sometimes come from products that exfoliate or draw toxins out of the skin. Irritation on the other hand is something different, redness, inflamed pimples, etc.

You'll have to wait and see.

okay thanks, that helps. There's no pimples at all, it's completely smooth which is what confuses me. Is it possible that purging could result in flat dark marks and not pimples? Manuka honey and MSM are used to speed up the skin cell turnover, so I guess that could be what it is, but I'm still confused by these flat spots.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 07/24/2012 3:50 pm

Ive just made an account to reply to this. I started using manuka honey to wash my face last week and after 3-4 days my skin was the worst its ever been. seems to have blocked thousands of pores in my face and I dont ever think Ill be able to get it back to normal. So im suggesting this could be the product that has done this..

MemberMember
(@oilyew)

Posted : 06/07/2013 7:29 am

Did you keep using it? I started MSM and honey too. I am horribly broken out just as bad as if not worse than you. I'm also using Jojoba Oil and I know all of these are suppose to purge like you said, so I'm scared. Its been a few weeks and I've heard your skin may need a couple of months to adjust. Did your skin clear up afterwards?

MemberMember
(@apple-blossom)

Posted : 07/25/2013 12:23 pm

I've had something similar happen with MSM cream, but to a lesser degree. I started using it about two weeks ago but not every day. I swear I'm noticing dark spots on my chin where there didn't used to be any...... has anyone else had this problem with MSM cream?

MemberMember
(@kylenea)

Posted : 07/26/2013 10:47 am

I'd say it looks less like purging, and more like an "allergic" reaction. For the record, aloe vera should soothe and reduce redness, not cause inflammation. Regardless, I'd say, as other users suggested, to stop all immediately and let your skin heal and afterward slowly reintroduce products to test sensitivity.

I also have struggled before with the idea of products purging versus products negatively reacting. My skin is pretty clear, for the most part, but I'm extremely obsessive (like I assume most of us are on here) and often inflict more harm than good with product use. I hope you can figure it out!

PS: For what it's worth, even with the breakout, you have very strong facial features!

PS: The MGM cream has a lot of individual "natural" ingredients that you could be reacting to. I find products like this difficult to use, because any of the natural oils could be causing the reaction, and it's difficult to isolate the variable. I think this kind of product is tricky to use.