Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm 17 and I weigh 158 pds. My dermatologist told me to take one 20mg of accutane during the day, and two 40mg at night (so 100mg in all) I thought this was too much, so I'm only taking one 20mg in the day and one 40mg at night. Is this too small a dosage for my age/weight? Should I take the dosage my doctor told me to?

I take 40mg total in 24 hours. I take two pills a day, each pill is 20mg.

I'm 6ft, 160lbs and a guy.

I am having great results this way.

I hope this was some help.

That seems too much to me, I've read that the dosage is dependent on weight and can range from 0.5mg:kg to 2mg:kg but I think 100mg is way too much (to begin on anyway), ~40mg a day sounds about right for you to start off on since you are 158 lbs which is around 72kg.

I am certainly no doctor but to me 100mg is way too much to start on, at higher dosages you are at a greater risk of complications with side effects. If I were you I would take just the 40 mg a day for now and consult your doctor (or perhaps even a different doctor if they won't listen to your concerns) about you being concerned about the dosage being too high.

Edit: just thought I would add that you shouldn't take risks on accutane as it is such a powerful and potentially harmful drug, you need to voice your concerns.

Edited by MJRI94

Though Accutane courses can reach doses as high as 2mg/kg/day (in your case, that'd be some 140mg/day), 1.4mg/kg/day does seem excessive as a starting dose (providing your acne doesn't pose immediate risk of permanent scarring) -- as MJRI94 already mentioned.

The side effect profile of isotretinoin correlates directly with its dosage -- meaning higher doses generally lead to more severe side effects. I'm going to go ahead and assume your dermatologist reviewed the risks and benefits that come with the use of Accutane, and that your dosage was not chosen abstractly. If, however, you're having doubts (as it seems you are), you need to voice these to your dermatologist. Self-medication (e.g. using less than prescribed) can't be condoned (barring severe reactions as described in the accompanying information packet); unless you've informed your practitioner, you're putting your health on the line by contradicting recorded dosages (for instance, in an emergency situation).

You'd do well to mention your concerns at your next appointment (or call his/her office, if possible), or at least seek clarification behind the rationale of such a high dose. Your dermatologist is here to help you and treat your acne, not force medication down your throat.

I'm 17 and I weigh 158 pds. My dermatologist told me to take one 20mg of accutane during the day, and two 40mg at night (so 100mg in all) I thought this was too much, so I'm only taking one 20mg in the day and one 40mg at night. Is this too small a dosage for my age/weight? Should I take the dosage my doctor told me to?

The highest dose that I regularly see is 80 mg per day. I weigh about the same as you and my doctor said he would never put me on anything higher than 60mg without risking serious side affects. Call your derm, this sounds odd to me....

Edited by B552299G

She also may have misspoke, as my accutane packages clearly say take one per day (both the 20 and 40mg say this.) Not to mention I got four boxes of each, as opposed to four boxes on 20mg and eight boxes of 40mg.