Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the best facial scrub?

right now i use proactive scrub just because i have it left over from proactiv trial. i do not want something too harsh or anything too mild, of course not milder than the proactive wash. As well it does not need to have an active acne fighting ingredient, the accutane does good enough.

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash 60 Second Mask/Scrub is amazing. I bought it about a month ago and havn't had a full breakout since.. just one or 2 little zits within the past month.. which is an extremely uncommon thing(I also bought Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Lotion on the same day.. so the improvement could be due to that.. or both). It exfoliates very well and really leaves you feeling clean afterwards. You should start using it once everyother day.. then after a week or so use it once a day. Its really not that drying at all.. never caused me any problems. The microbeads in it are smaller and much less annoying then those in the ever so popular C&C Blackhead ClearingScrub.

I recommend 2 cleansers.

When your face is clear or have mild acne.

Get the Neutrogena Deep clean gentile scrub.

When you have bad acne,

Clearasil Total Control Deep Pore Cream Cleanser

The Lab series for Men by Aramis makes a great scrub, and it does not have any acne fighters in it.It is oilfree and fragrance free. Beauti Control's All Clear Scrub is very good also.The Lab Series has a touch of menthol while the Beauti Control does not.The Proactiv scrub is fine too, and it is one of their better values if you buy it in the 8oz bottle.

i personally think that using about a quarter size amount of cetaphil and loading it up with baking soda is the best scrub...and also very cheap. the baking soda granual are tiny so there isn't much irritation.

Personally, I think there is no such thing as a "good scrub".

If you need exfoliation, a scrub is 0% effective at getting the dry dead flaky skin off you want to remove. I have used MANY different brands/kinds of scrubs, and ALL of them did nothing for me. I scrub away on my face, rinse it off, and then dry it with a towel. But guess what? Right after that if I rub my fingers on my face, all the dead skin is still on there and I can just gently rub the dead skin off with my fingers. So basically it doesn't do the job of exfoliating.

Anyone who says that a scrub is effective or that it "removes all their dead skin" has no dead skin on their face to begin with and they are carrying out a pointless task of "exfoliating" (scrubs do not exfoliate) when they don't need to.

The only effective way I have found to remove dead skin from my face is using a washcloth. I just use a plain gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil gentle cleanser, and then use a wet washcloth with cleanser on it to massage the dry areas of my face longer than usual (but use good judgement and don't rub your face raw) and rinse, and TADA! my face has zero dead skin on it. I then follow it with Eucerin Skin Renewal Moisturizer (a miracle moisturizer) and boom, say goodbye to dry skin.

And that's my two cents. biggrin.gif

I tried the neutrogena 60 second scrub, and it broke me out around my lips, but everywhere else was fine. I think the skin around my mouth is sensitive to the menthol in it, which I found quite annoying. Made my skin feel like it was being iced down. Ahhh well, I had high hopes for this after reading the makeupalley reviews.

I second the cetaphil/baking soda scrub. You can bearly feel the particles scrubbing because they are so small, but when you rinse your face you will deffinately notice how much smoother it is. You may feel the need to press harder so you can feel the particles working, but this is really unnecessary as you will feel your skin become raw afterwards if you press too hard.

scrubs do work, if i scrub my face it is smooth for a few days.

Now, i think the skin on your face is peeling off, which i do not think is a good thing.

Dead skin do not peel, dead skin is small dried flakes that are very small and cannot really be seen. If its peeling its got moisture and is not exactly dead.

or maybe it is not skin it could be the buildup of a cream u use.

and this is my thought, if someone knows that i am wrong, let me know.

I found something even better than a washcloth to use...it's like the king of all washcloths. Its called a microdermabrasion cloth, I got two from ebay for $13, and its freakin AWESOME at removing dead skin. If someone wants to get one, make sure you get it from thankyoustan (his name on ebay). He is the original creator of the cloth, and the rest I would not trust because I don't know if they're as awesome as the ones I got. They are really surprisingly soft cloths, but they exfoliate very well. And depending on how much exfoliation you need, thats how much pressure you use to wipe around your face with. I use the cloth with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and man I love it. My face is smoother than like.......... UM......... GLASS! smoother than glass. seriously. Way smoother than a stupid scrub could ever get it.

Yeah, I use Avita Tretinoin Cream at night, which sloughs off skin I'm pretty sure. So I'm always having to exfoliate my skin. And yes, I have dead skin, not peeling skin, because used to be when my face was dry, I could just scratch my finger over a dry spot and little flakes would come off. If it was peeling that would be like sunburn.

...i hate scrubs. biggrin.gif

i've used sooo many scrubs and none were as great as Cetaphil with baking soda..but I don't use a scrub anymore..twice a week I use Loreal Microdermabrasion kit and it really makes my skin smooth and gets rid of flakiness and the like..TRY IT but like i've said before..if you have active acne(moderate or worse) don't use a scrub of any kind..it will only aggravate your situation

Guest brokencocoon

I have to add a vote for the baking soda!

I think it's the best scrub EVER, but I mix it with my Vegecol for sensitive skin cleanser by Aubrey Organics.