Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay

I have been on Differin .1 for about 3 weeks now (only a short time to make any judgments about the Differin I know) and Erythromycin for a long time now in an attempt to cure my jaw line acne (I'm male btw).

For the first week my skin dried a little and my current acne seemed to heal faster.

Moving into the second week I noticed an IB beginning, which I expected.

In the third week now and my jawline acne seems to have EXPLODED! Moving onto my chin and even my cheek bones! My skin looks bumpy and the pigmentation is uneven.

Can anybody tell me whether this is a normal reaction to Differin and if so how long it will last?

I am trying as best I can to not touch my face at all apart from when I wash of course, the IB just seems to be unstoppable and I'm worried it will scar and ruin my skin even more than acne without the Differin would!

Any help, reassurance, personal experiences, pictures of progress or if you have your own Differin query, you are all welcome!!! :)

Hi

When I had a bad break out on my chin area in April this year, I was prescribed Differin cream. I used it for 1-2 weeks but I reacted badly to it, it wasn't just minor irritation, my skin was red raw and painful and the cysts seemed to spread and regroup. I went back to my GP who confirmed I was allergic to Differin. Not all medicines and topicals are suitable for all people so i would go back to whoever prescribed the Differin to you to make sure you're not allergic, or seek a second opinion. I hope this helps :)

Hi

When I had a bad break out on my chin area in April this year, I was prescribed Differin cream. I used it for 1-2 weeks but I reacted badly to it, it wasn't just minor irritation, my skin was red raw and painful and the cysts seemed to spread and regroup. I went back to my GP who confirmed I was allergic to Differin. Not all medicines and topicals are suitable for all people so i would go back to whoever prescribed the Differin to you to make sure you're not allergic, or seek a second opinion. I hope this helps :)

Wow thanks for the quick reply! :)

I did wonder whether my skin just couldn't handle it, but I have had no redness or soreness etc so I don't think I'm allergic

Anyone have any IB experiences with Differin?

Differin... its a love hate relationship.

Mostly love now, though. :]

I've been using Differin for almost 11 months now and I basically owe this little tube of magic my life. But its a long road!

My initial breakout started about 2-3 weeks in, just like yours, and it lasted... about 2 months? That's about right. Its going to get WORSE. Just so you know. I had zits everywhere--and not just pustules and papules. I had horrendous cysts on my cheeks and along my jaw. Hurt like heck. And your skin is going to be dry and irritated.

But it WILL get better. My skin completely adjusted to Differin and I don't have to be so careful with my face anymore (i.e. I can use "dirty" towels, I can wash with warm water instead of cool, I don't have to limit the time I have makeup on, etc.) I now only get the odd pimple, usually when I pick at something (so its my own dang fault, haha!) My marks are fading to the point where I don't have to wear makeup all the time and feel confident going out without it.

Life is all happiness and butterflies with Differin. Just wait it out and these first few months of pure torture will be over soon!

I've been using Differin for almost 11 months now and I basically owe this little tube of magic my life. But its a long road!

My initial breakout started about 2-3 weeks in, just like yours, and it lasted... about 2 months? That's about right. Its going to get WORSE. Just so you know. I had zits everywhere--and not just pustules and papules. I had horrendous cysts on my cheeks and along my jaw. Hurt like heck. And your skin is going to be dry and irritated.

But it WILL get better. My skin completely adjusted to Differin and I don't have to be so careful with my face anymore (i.e. I can use "dirty" towels, I can wash with warm water instead of cool, I don't have to limit the time I have makeup on, etc.) I now only get the odd pimple, usually when I pick at something (so its my own dang fault, haha!) My marks are fading to the point where I don't have to wear makeup all the time and feel confident going out without it.

Life is all happiness and butterflies with Differin. Just wait it out and these first few months of pure torture will be over soon!

Wow thanks! Just what I was looking for! :)

I just woke up this morning and I have painful underskin pimples (cysts, nodules?! I don't know) its really freaking me out! what was your acne like before Differin? Mild? Servers? Etc.

I'm just worried that the IB may do more damage to my skin than the initial acne would have :/

Thanks for your story it has helped to give me the hope I think I need to stay on differin :)

I've had the same type of experience with the jawline acne. I didn't have much on my jawline area of my chin before but during the IB i got a lot there and it's just starting to subside now. There is mostly just redness there, mostly just redness all over but I'm at the 2nd month and apparently results are significant in the 3rd. So anyway it's mostly just the red marks now but I had what you had before.

I've had the same type of experience with the jawline acne. I didn't have much on my jawline area of my chin before but during the IB i got a lot there and it's just starting to subside now. There is mostly just redness there, mostly just redness all over but I'm at the 2nd month and apparently results are significant in the 3rd. So anyway it's mostly just the red marks now but I had what you had before.

Hi! :) that's great to here and I'm glad you've seen positive results!

Would you say you are happy with the results you've had from Differin? And do you find differin helps get rid of the red marks quicker?

I was on Differin for 2-3 years. If your face is reacting badly, don't be afraid to cut back for a few days and let your skin regroup. When I first used it, my skin couldn't handle using it every day. I had to cut back to every other day for about 4 months.

Personally I think you are doing more harm than good if your skin is having a major breakout. Some breakout is to be expected, but if it's getting massively worse, cut back and let your skin heal a bit.

Also, please moisturize. I ignored this advice to my detriment. I didn't understand why it was necessary. Your skin cannot heal without enough moisture. It actually makes acne worse because your pores get clogged easier in dry skin. Use a light moisturizer like CeraVe at least once a day. (If you use it at the same time as Differin, let the Differin dry for 15 minutes first).

Wow thanks! Just what I was looking for! smile.png

I just woke up this morning and I have painful underskin pimples (cysts, nodules?! I don't know) its really freaking me out! what was your acne like before Differin? Mild? Servers? Etc.

I'm just worried that the IB may do more damage to my skin than the initial acne would have :/

Thanks for your story it has helped to give me the hope I think I need to stay on differin smile.png

Yep, those deep-down suckers are going to start showing up! They are going to hurt. :[ Sorry. There was many nights I laid awake at night crying because of the throbbing. It felt like it all the way down to my jaw bone. But you gotta get through it!

I'm sure that the initial breakout is worse than your usual acne... and, being honest here, its probably going to do a LOT of damage to your skin. Like I said, my marks are just finally now fading enough (about 8 months after the end of the initial breakout) so that I can go some places without makeup on "good" days. But my marks and scars are still very much apparent...

But, really? Think about it. Would you rather cause some more severe damage to your skin and then be CLEAR (!!) and let everything finally heal, or keep dealing with a slightly more mild form of acne forever and ever? Just suck it up and go through with it and get RID of this crap!!

I have a funny story with acne. I had mild acne in my pre-teens (11-14), then I developed anorexia for several years and had perfect, perfect skin. Then I tried to recover last summer (badly, with a lot of junk food and dairy) and I went from crystal clear to MAJOR severe in less than a week. Couldn't even see my skin for all the zits. I remember standing in front of my mirror with a needle, crying, as I pricked over 2 dozen whiteheads at one time. I had almost 100 pimples on my face at the same time. It was just... ridiculously awful. (and it caused massive relapse back into my eating disorder... didn't eat anything for almost 2 weeks straight in a passive attempt at suicide.) Like I said, Differin literally SAVED my life.

oh, and I second the moisturizer comment. Moisturizing is key with Differin! CeraVe gave me a bad reaction; its too thick for me. I love Neutrogena Oil-free Moisturizer for Combination Skin. Its light but powerful and its just perfect for me.